• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Not excited for this trip at all…

I had mentioned this in another thread, but some of us NEED to plan. Our group has two folks with food allergies, one with a disability, and one (me) who is old and tired :) and doesn't love running from one side of the park to another or spinning on rides...blech.

We had a system for the last 8 years or so that worked great. Maybe a bit predicatable, but out of NECESSITY, it included the right rides at the right times of days, breaks, shade, DAS timing for returns, the right places/things to eat, plenty of water, and rest and Starbucks for me so the kiddos could enjoy rides that spin without me! Planning (including dining) was necessary, but we were able to enjoy the parks immensely - but with lots of pre-planning, packing food/water, etc.

We have just 3 months left on our Annual Passes. We will enjoy the two trips we have planned, but our expectations are low, and that's a shame for the money we've spent and the sacrifices we make to plan and afford these trips. From what I've read, I don't see LL or Genie Plus working for us - simply too unpredictable. We will likely split our day and return to our resort/room to eat - but once our passes expire, we won't be renewing until/if things are more of a fit for our family and circumstances.

I get that this system is MUCH better for those spontaneous folks - and I'm happy for you. I used to be that way, but now we simply can't be. Until then, as others have mentioned, there are plenty of other places to travel. Disney was always our magical, happy place. We'll miss those memories.

I was kind of hopeful that Genie/Genie+ was going to be more fancy and AI driven in that it would know based on everyone’s locations in the park how to streamline passes out. It could have had an algorithm that divides everyone into multiple groups and say people in Groups A will have passes dished out starting on the right side of the park and work their way left, and group B vice versa…so that way there’s not any particular side that’s crushed while another side may be seeing lower waits. I don’t know if that would have been better or not, but it seems like Genie+ is a pretty dumb system and that it could have been done so much better….especially for a multi billion $ company that has unlimited resources it could put towards IT
The app doesn’t even open to the park you are in. Every time I opened it to check the tip board for wait times it defaulted to Magic Kingdom. Even with location services fully on it couldn’t open to the right park. I thought Disney should have done that better since I know they know where I am!

The app doesn’t even open to the park you are in. Every time I opened it to check the tip board for wait times it defaulted to Magic Kingdom. Even with location services fully on it couldn’t open to the right park. I thought Disney should have done that better since I know they know where I am!
Yeah that’s pretty bad programming right there.

We have had decent times going during the mornings for a few hours( non overnight visits.) Then we stayed for 10 nights from Nov 10-20 at BC. It was by far the worst trip we've ever had. Customer service in general was horrible. We had HUGE problems with housekeeping. Example, my daughter has severe skin allergies so we bring our own bedding, towels for her etc. I had a note put on our reservation and notified housekeeping qhen we arrived that we would not want room done and the reason why. I told them if they needed to do a room check, that was fine. We get back from lunch second day and someone is in our room taking our personal covers/ sheets off of the bed even though our sign was on the door too. I reported it to housekeeping. Two days later, we have the lock and latch and sign on the door after swimming, I was showering. Traveling with my 2 children alone,, who were watching TV while I showered. The male maid knocked, then tried opening the door ( wouldn't open all the way since latch was on.)my DS13 told him my mom is showering come back later if he needed to do a room check etc. He came back literally 3 minutes later and tried to get in again ( my DS13 and DD3 were a bit frightened he kept trying to get in.) I reported it, and they made it out like it was nbd.
Genie plus was another matter, we normally paid for the day, and got 1 ride, then couldn't get another for 4 or 5 hours later...but, it was a busier time so that's expected.

We have had decent times going during the mornings for a few hours( non overnight visits.) Then we stayed for 10 nights from Nov 10-20 at BC. It was by far the worst trip we've ever had. Customer service in general was horrible. We had HUGE problems with housekeeping. Example, my daughter has severe skin allergies so we bring our own bedding, towels for her etc. I had a note put on our reservation and notified housekeeping qhen we arrived that we would not want room done and the reason why. I told them if they needed to do a room check, that was fine. We get back from lunch second day and someone is in our room taking our personal covers/ sheets off of the bed even though our sign was on the door too. I reported it to housekeeping. Two days later, we have the lock and latch and sign on the door after swimming, I was showering. Traveling with my 2 children alone,, who were watching TV while I showered. The male maid knocked, then tried opening the door ( wouldn't open all the way since latch was on.)my DS13 told him my mom is showering come back later if he needed to do a room check etc. He came back literally 3 minutes later and tried to get in again ( my DS13 and DD3 were a bit frightened he kept trying to get in.) I reported it, and they made it out like it was nbd.
Genie plus was another matter, we normally paid for the day, and got 1 ride, then couldn't get another for 4 or 5 hours later...but, it was a busier time so that's expected

What an awful experience! Have you thought about following up at all? Someone needs to hear about this as it doesn't seem like the cast members you dealt with bothered to care.

What an awful experience! Have you thought about following up at all? Someone needs to hear about this as it doesn't seem like the cast members you dealt with bothered to care.
I might email guest services, but since I didn't get a great response from the hotel front desk, I figured it would probably go unnoticed too.

OP, I am right there with you. I am not excited about our upcoming trip at all. We usually have a countdown clock going and talk about daily. Not this time and it’s been well over 2 years since our last visit. it’s hard to pinpoint the “one thing” that has us so bummed. I think it is a sum of all things. It’s the same things that everyone else dislikes. As a DVC member now for almost 20 years, it’s just not the some. it’s a shadow of it’s former self. It really makes me sad because our Disney trips and dreaming of our upcoming Disney trips have gotten me through some really hard times. Really hard times!!! We go on vacation to escape stress, not create it. 😢

The app doesn’t even open to the park you are in. Every time I opened it to check the tip board for wait times it defaulted to Magic Kingdom.
We noticed the same thing. It has location so it should know where you are. It annoyed me that when I wanted to make another LL reservation, I had to change parks. Thats just sloppy programming.

Last edited:
Awwwww it’s so sad to see that you’re dreading a Disney trip. It’s hard to believe that they have created that kind of mind set. But don’t let them get in your head. I agree that they have definitely twisted stuff up but it still is the most magical place on Earth. You can still have a great time! You have to know what to avoid and when to go where etc etc but it’s still a great place and a great time. Just go into it knowing that it will be different. Temper expectations and have patience and you’ll still enjoy it!

I am one of those who just gets frustrated standing in long standby lines that don't move because the LL people get priority. Even more frustrated when I paid for Genie + but all the options were gone after I made my 2nd selection at 11 am. So I didn't think genie+ was an improvement and everything was so crowded last week that "just walk around and enjoy the park" was a challenge too. If I could go in the total off season it would be different but with kids in HS/College school breaks are it for us. Disney has ceased to be fun for us--excited to find new ways to vacation now.
This is the crux of it for me, the reports of options being gone early in the day. Nothing like having to pay extra for perks and then options are gone by early afternoon. Has LL been delaying standby longer than FP used to or is it about the same?

Then don't go.
It's not a huge decision. It's a vacation.
Last year we lost our April trip as they were closed. We cancelled our October trip as we weren't ready to go back. This year we went in April and October and loved it.
If you are not ready to go back, DON'T. Don't make it a big issue, just don't do it.
There are many decisions that can affect the rest of your life, this isn't one of them.

I'm starting to feel the same way about my upcoming trip. The last time I was in Disney was 10 years ago. My partner and I did not plan anything but we got to ride everything and it was so simple. I had the best time and I always dreamed of taking my kids. Our trip is in February and the glitter and excitement is fading. We booked an offsite resort long before Genie was announced and I'm worried I won't be able to get LL's for ROTR or other popular rides when the parks open. There's so much planning involved and it feels like I'll need to be glued to my phone just so we don't miss out on anything. Then there's the cost plus USD to CAD exchange rate.
I'm hoping the excitement will reappear once we are there and I see the wonder through my kids.
OP I hope things work out and you have a great trip.

We were there in November for 6 days and used Genie+ every day. We found it very easy to use and really liked planning each day. Instead of getting up 60 days before your trip and getting 3 FPs you are getting up at 6:50 to purchase Genie and make your first LL. There are things you need to know but the Genie day tips are really helpful and the little extras in the app are fun. Yes, there are lots of changes but the magic is still there and the CMs were lovely. Genie+ is not needed in AK or Epcot but it did make everything a walk-on. If you do go I hope you have a great time :)

I had mentioned this in another thread, but some of us NEED to plan. Our group has two folks with food allergies, one with a disability, and one (me) who is old and tired :) and doesn't love running from one side of the park to another or spinning on rides...blech.

We had a system for the last 8 years or so that worked great. Maybe a bit predicatable, but out of NECESSITY, it included the right rides at the right times of days, breaks, shade, DAS timing for returns, the right places/things to eat, plenty of water, and rest and Starbucks for me so the kiddos could enjoy rides that spin without me! Planning (including dining) was necessary, but we were able to enjoy the parks immensely - but with lots of pre-planning, packing food/water, etc.

We have just 3 months left on our Annual Passes. We will enjoy the two trips we have planned, but our expectations are low, and that's a shame for the money we've spent and the sacrifices we make to plan and afford these trips. From what I've read, I don't see LL or Genie Plus working for us - simply too unpredictable. We will likely split our day and return to our resort/room to eat - but once our passes expire, we won't be renewing until/if things are more of a fit for our family and circumstances.

I get that this system is MUCH better for those spontaneous folks - and I'm happy for you. I used to be that way, but now we simply can't be. Until then, as others have mentioned, there are plenty of other places to travel. Disney was always our magical, happy place. We'll miss those memories.

Don't panic about the planning. The DAS has made some changes and this right here is probably why. You will be able to plan ahead for 2 of the DAS times. There is a great thread about DAS changes on the Disability thread. Plus now you can make your DAS return time without going across the park right in the APP. I don't think that Genie + will be a lot of help but it may be a little help on top of the DAS return times and the DAS Advance. I can't speak to the dining aspect much. We will be doing quick service on our next trip and eating at SoG.

I have such happy memories of my family’s trips to DW the last 6 years. I was always excited about the next time we could go back. For the first time, I’m not excited. I’m really actually dreading this trip. Just when I had FastPass strategies down that worked for our family, they go and implement this horrible new system. It feels like a blatant rip off from everything I’m reading. Congratulations Disney, you made your parks something I couldn’t wait to get back to, to something I’m going to be extremely hesitant to spend my money on going forward after this next trip. I hope this new Genie+ backfires spectacularly on them.

We have been big disney fans in the past with many trips under our belts but we feel the same way. I have booked and cancelled our trip and flights two times already. The prices are outrageous and it just seems like a job to try get onto a ride without an hour(s) wait, let along getting charged extra. I feel really disgusted and am still on the fence if we will actually go.

Riveria is the same. There are bus stops for HS and Epcot but no buses, only Skyliner. My sister was paranoid about getting stuck on the Skyliner so we had to find our own way to those parks.

I don't blame your sister. I remember when the skyliner opened and people were stuck in them for over 3 HOURS high in the sky. I heard that and said no way, no how!

Just wanted to second this. Well, I didn’t “want” to but it’s the same experience I had. And contrary to what some posters will say, I was going in with an insanely positive attitude. It had been five years and I was STOKED to go. And we left after three days (of our planned 7). Just too many people and not enough experiences, food options, or CMs. We were miserable.

Were you there thanksgiving week? Not sure if I will keep our trip if the crowds are too much. Just not enjoyable to me.

I saw a post awhile back were someone said get off these boards and other social media.... I will second that. Not forever but take a break. I was there for Thanksgiving week and with a little bit of planning, we had a great time! Crowds and all! Sometimes we used genie plus. Sometimes we didn't. Once I observed with my own experience how it didn't work great on crowded days, i just didn't do it again.

These boards and ones like it are great for planning...but can also become all encompassing. I don't do any social media anyway but that can also warp thinking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter