• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Not excited for this trip at all…

Because in his OP didn’t say he was “tentative”. He said he was “dreading” his trip. So people are saying it’s a lot of money to spend on something he is dreading.

Had he said nervous or tentative, that’s one thing. But dread is an entirely different thing. And no one should dread a vacation. Especially one that costs as much as WDW.

^THIS

I went a few weeks ago and more nervous than I’d ever been. Traveling just my son and I, already extra work because he is disabled, it felt like it was going to be overwhelming. I didn’t dread it, still excited to finally have our APs again - but I was nervous and a bit scared.

I think if you dread something, I don’t see how adding what is more work and structure to a vacation, will turn that around. Maybe it’s my age but if I already dread a vacation - it’s better to not go and find someplace else that lets you be excited about going. Vacations are too precious to dread.

Last edited:
Yes... what everyone else said. It's one thing to be nervous about the changes and hesitant. I can understand why someone would be upset about the cost of genie +, and I can understand why people sometimes read the negative reviews about something and believe them without actually experiencing it themselves. That's ok. But dreading your vacation? No. At some point if there is dread involved, it's no longer worth it. Not for yourself or your family who will feel and feed off of the dread, too. If you're at the point of dread, it's time to try something different and maybe revisit Disney when it doesn't feel so negative.

I have such happy memories of my family’s trips to DW the last 6 years. I was always excited about the next time we could go back. For the first time, I’m not excited. I’m really actually dreading this trip.

I also feel "out of whack" with the new Genie+ system and trying to figure it out before our trip which is soon. I had a head injury a few years back and WDW was one place where I felt like I knew everything and was comfortable but taking a piece of that away has left me with some anxiety (not dread however). As I get older I enjoy/appreciate other things in the parks besides rides so I'm planning all the holiday things I want to see (Epcot storytellers, gingerbread house at GF, etc.), fireworks shows, that don't involve Genie+ or ride strategies. I may get Genie+ for a day and try it and if it was a waste I won't do it again - lol! However I'd be more stressed if I had small children and everyone was relying on me to have a good park experience.

I have sometimes found that my best trips were low expectation ones.

I feel your pain. I don't like change. I didnt like fastpass when it came out but learned to use it. Maybe go, give it a try and maybe you'll think its great.

If it weren’t for all the headaches of international travel right now I probably would be going somewhere else. But there’s so few warm weather destinations in the month of March here within driving distance…so DW or Universal are usually the play. And unfortunately I don’t have enough time to drop enough weight to get on Universal rides. DW is a little more forgiving in that regard

So, if you'll fly international, why not fly domestic. Las Vegas and Hawaii might be nice sites for the spring...both cater to adults of any size, and while there will be less "pure riding", there still would be tons of fun in warm weather...

I know. I remember the feelings of dread before our first trip. Being nervous of the unknown. After being able to go three times under the old FastPass system I was starting to feel like a pro. Now I feel like I’m starting from scratch again to learn a new system. We always got all the rides in we wanted to do under the old system. Im just worried from the reports i’m reading that this new paid system, you may or may not get your money’s worth. Sounds like you pay for something that may or may not pan out depending on how crowded the parks are. If a system is in place you pay for, but then that service’s availability is gone within minutes…that’s a very flawed system.

Into the unknowwwwwnnnnn! :tongue:

We are leaving in a little over a week and I can understand your feelings. We've been going for over twenty five years and this year has been the hardest for me to plan. It's a combination of several things and some I can not blame on Disney. We started visiting national parks and have taken several very long road and plane trips and my family has decided that they enjoy those experiences. We loved WDW 25th anniversary trip and knew we had to see the 50th. I'm not placing blame on anyone or company but our trips will be more limited after we finish our season passes. I think the reason is our family dynamics are changing. Our kids are getting older and we are now able to do more activities. I knew Disney was going to change things but I really don't blame them. The world is a different place now. We recently had a meeting at work and was informed our company will need a minimum of five years to get back to where they were before Covid. Our company has went from 41 employees to 19 present day. I process payroll and it is higher than I've seen in the twenty years I've been doing it. Overtime is the new normal. I'm sure Disney is encountering the same thing. My family is very thankful that we are able to go. We've made a ton of memories at WDW and I look forward to making more in December. We've discussed the changes with our family as we will not be purchasing Genie and we've all agreed that we will be happy with what we are able to see and not think about what we miss. We are not "dreading" the trip but I am kind of sad as I know our Disney days are slowly coming to an end. I'm sure I'll feel differently if one day we are lucky enough to welcome grandkids!!!!

^THIS

I went a few weeks ago and more nervous than I’d ever been. Traveling just my son and I, already extra work because he is disabled, it felt like it was going to be overwhelming. I didn’t dread it, still excited to finally have our APs again - but I was nervous and a bit scared.

I think if you dread something, I don’t see how adding what is more work and structure to a vacation, will turn that around. Maybe it’s my age but if I already dread a vacation - it’s better to not go and find someplace else that lets you be excited about going. Vacations are too precious to dread.
agreed. I have some family who is wanting me to plan a trip with them..... I really am hesitating to do this, I just don't enjoy the idea of trying to plan for the parks anymore,the way you have to right now.

I am with you with much of the apprehension you feel - which is exactly why I’m not planning a Disney vacation for the foreseeable future. It doesn’t seem like it would be as fun as past trips and the cost has gone from “painful but tolerable” to ridiculously exorbitant.

I’m waiting to see what happens over the next year or two. Never say never but I’ve come to realize that we may not take another Disney family vacation and that’s ok.

I can understand this. I too am unsure how this upcoming trip will be... paying much more, for much less may dampen the magic. I'm hoping for the best.

I have such happy memories of my family’s trips to DW the last 6 years. I was always excited about the next time we could go back. For the first time, I’m not excited. I’m really actually dreading this trip. Just when I had FastPass strategies down that worked for our family, they go and implement this horrible new system. It feels like a blatant rip off from everything I’m reading. Congratulations Disney, you made your parks something I couldn’t wait to get back to, to something I’m going to be extremely hesitant to spend my money on going forward after this next trip. I hope this new Genie+ backfires spectacularly on them.
There is no need to spend money on something you dread. We are in the same boat but we actually experienced what you are dreading. That is when we tried Universal and I can say first hand, it is "Easy". No FP+ or LL planning, very minimal meal planning, cleaner parks and they actually treat you like they value you being there. Unfortunately, we own DVC and not ready to sell yet. We are planning resort only trips to use our points and we will do other things around property and the Orlando area. Good luck on whatever decision you make but I wouldn't go if you are dreading it before you even pack.

I know. I remember the feelings of dread before our first trip. Being nervous of the unknown. After being able to go three times under the old FastPass system I was starting to feel like a pro. Now I feel like I’m starting from scratch again to learn a new system. We always got all the rides in we wanted to do under the old system. Im just worried from the reports i’m reading that this new paid system, you may or may not get your money’s worth. Sounds like you pay for something that may or may not pan out depending on how crowded the parks are. If a system is in place you pay for, but then that service’s availability is gone within minutes…that’s a very flawed system.

I will say most days I felt I didn't get my money's worth. Other than MK, I'm not sure if I will buy again. Not a huge fan of Epcot attractions anyway, and Remy isn't an option for Genie+. It stinks to pay upfront with hopes it has value. It would be one thing if we had any control and could pick our ride times, but the forcing us around the park added extra stress.

If it weren’t for all the headaches of international travel right now I probably would be going somewhere else. But there’s so few warm weather destinations in the month of March here within driving distance…so DW or Universal are usually the play. And unfortunately I don’t have enough time to drop enough weight to get on Universal rides. DW is a little more forgiving in that regard

And this is why WDW will have no trouble staying packed to the gills. The restrictions to travel some places or the extra headaches of the hoops to jump through for international, those who don't want to fly at all but are reasonable driving distance, those who are forced to change their destination and maybe have never been to WDW. Orlando is currently having some of it's highest tourism numbers and it will only increase, unfortunately it is also experiencing a huge shortage of workers so that impacts tourism experiences.

agreed. I have some family who is wanting me to plan a trip with them..... I really am hesitating to do this, I just don't enjoy the idea of trying to plan for the parks anymore,the way you have to right now.

This is stressful under good circumstances. Been there, done that, more times than I should and won't be happening again. ESPECIALLY NOW!

I think you need to get off Disney social media and the boards for a while. Disney is still spectacular even without the old Fastpass systems. Standby waits are no worse than they were with Fastpass plus, resorts activities are back, characters are everywhere in the parks. If you want to learn about Genie+, I can go through the quick explanation without all the complaining you'll hear from most places.

I agree with others, if you are dreading it don't go. There are plenty of other places just in the Orlando area to visit and in Florida in general. If you want theme parks and Disney or Universal are out, try Sea World or hop down to Tampa and do Busch Gardens. Take the opportunity to discover all the little quirky parts of of Florida. Hop over and go to Kennedy Space Center. I love Disney and have been twice this year and will be back the week of Dec. 12th. Is it different? Of course, but frankly after going for over 37 years, it's been different many times. Nothing is normal right now and who knows when and if things will ever be.

I went in April when you had to wear masks everywhere on property, inside and outside. It was different but I was just so glad to be somewhere other than my own backyard. When I went in Sept. my adult son and I took his SO and his 5 month old baby girl. Talk about different. She had only been once and it was just for one day, she had never stepped foot in Epcot. She loved it, a lot was because of our attitude. Construction walls and long lines and hot and lots of rain, didn't matter, we were home and showing off for a new adult and the baby loved it. We only did one or two rides in each park, it was hot and the baby had to go back to the room a lot but it was still great. I'm going solo in Dec. It will be my first trip since Genie +, which I don't plan on using. I will stand in line for the things I want to ride and will enjoy the decorations and the food and just enjoy being there.

We didn't use FP that much, the advantage of having been going so long and going often is you've seen all the changes. We started going before FP so standing in line was just what you did, we continued to do that. It was never a place to try to see how many rides we could ride but a place to just be and enjoy for us.

Thanks everyone.
I’ve already spent the money on new Magic Bands for this next trip, so I’m not cancelling at this point. I’ll try to start being more positive. I guess I’m going to have to realize I may be standing in more lines than what I’ve been used to on past trips.

I’ve been trying to learn and play around with this Genie+ and I’m just not sure I’m getting it. It seems fine for people that can stay from early entry all the way to close, but I have a son, even at 13, who is usually done by dinner time and would rather get back to the resort to swim. I will encourage us to do early entry every day. We’ve always used this strategy in the past and were usually always able to knock one side of the park out with minimal waits.

I’m just trying to figure out strategy for maximizing this new system. Since we will be on resort, we can purchase ILL’s at 7am before off-site guests. But at that same time, everyone can start making Genie+ selections. So what’s the best strategy? Make your first Genie+ selection first, then make your paid ILL, or vice versa? Is it better to have two people logged into the same MDE credentials to be able to make both at the same time? Can that even be done?

Also, has anyone been able to determine which rides at each park lose out on genie+ selections the quickest? I just feel like I don’t know how to strategize for this trip, where I had it figured out before with FastPass.

Last edited:
I totally get it. We leave Saturday and I am just not as excited for this trip as I have been for trips in the past. There is too much work and uncertainty for me. I'm in charge of planning for our group of 12. Judging from the crowds, we will be standing in a lot more lines than usual and spending the extra money for LL+ and Genie+. We've already decided that this will be our last Disney trip, so I'm trying to go in with a positive attitude!

I have such happy memories of my family’s trips to DW the last 6 years. I was always excited about the next time we could go back. For the first time, I’m not excited. I’m really actually dreading this trip. Just when I had FastPass strategies down that worked for our family, they go and implement this horrible new system. It feels like a blatant rip off from everything I’m reading. Congratulations Disney, you made your parks something I couldn’t wait to get back to, to something I’m going to be extremely hesitant to spend my money on going forward after this next trip. I hope this new Genie+ backfires spectacularly on them.
Here's my suggestion, based on advice I got on these boards:

Do your planning as best you can, get input from your family as you do, then a day (or week, or whatever your comfortable with) before you leave stop planning and stop taking input from others. You don't have control over crowds or park management so don't put that on yourself. From the day you leave, you just tell yourself and everyone else that you put in a lot of time and effort to plan as well as you could and they can enjoy your planning but you're not going to spend your vacation stressing and re-planning on the fly what you've spent months planning already. "Let's all just see how it goes and enjoy the time together whatever comes." Chances are everyone will be so happy to be there that as long as they know ahead of time what to expect, they'll worry about it way less than you'd worry for them. Be proud of yourself for being able to buy and plan something so great with your family and treat it like a new kind of Disney adventure together. I'm sure you'll all be great, honestly!

So don’t go?? Why the drama… and don’t say your kids want to go or it’s “tradition”. Just don’t go. They don’t need your money or your bad karma

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter