Not Excited And I Don't Know Why.. Long

GOOFY4DONALD

DH finished his plate at 50's Prime Time. They wer
I'm not sure where to post this so I will start here. My upcoming trip is in 33 days. I've been excited up until about a week ago. Maybe it's because our last trip wasn't very magical. In 2012 we had one thing happen after the next to where we probably should have cancelled but didn't. ( My DD15 friend was going and we already had 6 plane tickets paid for). When we arrived at FW cabins I thought all would be fine but it wasn't. The resort wasn't what we had experienced there previously. We even encountered our first rude CMs (yes plural in various location). Kids fighting, my oldest DD(then 15) was already disneyed out. I was upset at her for not letting her friend (a total disney newbie... Actual theme park newbie ) really enjoy herself. Basically our 2012 trip wasn't great and if that was our first trip we probably wouldn't have gone again.
Flash forward to 2014. My DD17 refused to go (although I am sad about not going as a whole family I am slightly relieved because the rest if us kinda act like 5 year olds there and she just doesn't feel the magic). Our trip consists of me, DH, Dd14, DS11. We are staying 8 nights at the Beach Club (first time). And we actually upgraded to club level. When we upgraded we dumped the dining plan but I'm actually feeling good about not rushing from ADR to ADR . Although a few disasters happened recently we got through them and I even paid the trip off early (not a week late like last time). We have almost everything ready to go except for a few misc items but for the most part we are just going to work and school and waiting. I'm just not excited at all. What's wrong with me ??

You're probably just anxious from the last trip! We stayed at Beach Club our last trip ( first time there) and we absolutely loved it! It was amazing to be so close to Epcot- it became one of our two favorite resorts. And Storm Along Bay is great - my favorite was the sand bottomed area. Our last trip (August) was one of my favorites, and I've been visiting WDW since I've been a toddler. I've also encountered rude CM's but they've become funny stories ( And I realize depending on the situation you sometimes cannot find anything humorous at all about it). Just know it's a completely different trip, and I hope you have a great time!

Nothing is wrong with you.. I had a disappointing trip last time around and have the same apprehension about the new trip we are planning. The Fact that one of your children lost their joy of Disney and does not want to go this trip would crush my soul... but I also realize that this is part of their choosing their identity... but again.. it would crush me. I think this is part of what you are going through.... a question I am already asking myself: "Is a family trip a FAMILY trip if all of the family is not there?" I still do not know the answer.:confused3

I feel that I need a recovery trip to get back my joy that I seemed to have lost on our last trip. On our next trip I am making a point to find the positive while we are there and to make it as special as possible.. as I realize this may be our last trip together.... without extended family and friends. I feel that I want to make the best of it so I can carry the memories forward with no regrets.

Keep the Faith and make sure you make this trip magical for all those around you... I find that when I do this... it is just as magical for me.

I think it is probably still your other trip worrying you.
I know for me, I wasn't excited until we were at our resort...and it was our first trip. I was anxious/nervous. I always am. Any trip we take I just can't relax until we get there. I always worry something will go wrong (and ***knock on wood*** we've never had anything major go wrong yet). Part of being the mom and wanting things to be perfect ;)

Also, a lot of people experience a kind of lull after the planning is complete. Things are really exciting when you first plan your trip, at the 180 day mark when you are making ADRs, when your magic bands show, and when you make your FP+ reservations. Then everything kind of stalls until the trip is upon you. Everything's set, and you're just going day to day life, so there's nothing really to excite you. Don't worry. Do your best to not repeat the things that made your last trip upsetting, and think of this as a fresh start.

Thank you for the replies. I also feel huge guilt for being slightly relieved dd17 isn't going. She has been to wdw and dlr more than us. The last 2 trips she complained nonstop argued with everyone (she's not like that at home). I thought bringing a friend last time would help but it didn't. She even wanted to skip some ADRs and even a park day.

If it makes you feel better we didn't bring our younger two on our trip in February. We wanted to really focus on our girls and it was their first trip and we just wanted to make it special for them. We didn't want to stop for diaper changes or naps or have to go back to the hotel early for bedtime. I am sure they would have loved Disney...but they'll love it when we bring them next time too ;) I loved our trip with just the girls :)

If it makes you feel better we didn't bring our younger two on our trip in February. We wanted to really focus on our girls and it was their first trip and we just wanted to make it special for them. We didn't want to stop for diaper changes or naps or have to go back to the hotel early for bedtime. I am sure they would have loved Disney...but they'll love it when we bring them next time too ;) I loved our trip with just the girls :)
actually it does. This trip costs the same for us as our past trips but with club level and the beach club. (Always stayed at a MK resort) it feels so much more luxurious. I'm just in a funk.

Thanks to all of the replies. I'm wondering if cutting myself off from disney for a while would help or would immersing myself in more disney.

:) We got home yesterday from a 10 night trip. It is just DH and myself and we made this trip an extra long one since it was our 20th anniversary celebration trip. I was soooo excited to go and really needed the break from work. DH was sick with a sinus infection the first half of the trip and while he rallied up a bit each day, the touring took its toll on him. So we did short days in the park and we loved FP+ so we could do what we liked and get back to the room. It was a very relaxing trip and I sit here today kinda ready to go back to work. We already have a trip planned with my parents in May. But after talking with DH we are skipping a fall trip next year. I will save those points and book a nice fall trip in 2016.

DH and I are not park commandos anymore and we really just take it easy. Outside of ADRs there is no real plan and we just kinda hang out in the room. I am in my mid 40s and am just tired. Vacation for me is leaving home and not going to work. So we had a lovely pool view at Jambo and I really enjoyed just vegetating out on the balcony with a Coke Zero. There is a lot of construction going on at MK, DTD and AK. This trip was all about getting a Disney Vibe Fix and the next will be about enjoying the trip with aging parents who are still healthy and really enjoy staying in a nice resort. It is their 50th anniversary year and it will be a special trip for them.

Basically I get what you are saying and I agree with the other PP. Your last trip wasn't magical and this one will be. I am sure your DD is excited ya'll are going and will enjoy her time at home. My Daddy isn't into Disney like I am so we spend shorter times at the parks and more time enjoying meals and relaxing. I just focus on the fact that I am lucky enough to enjoy a world class resort at a world class vacation destination....what happens on the trip is just part of those memories. Each trip is different for different reasons. I go with a blueprint (my spreadsheet) and let the trip unfold. I wish you a terrific time and know you will have a blast like we did. When I am in a funk I just listen to Disney music for a bit. Sometimes I go to you tube and watch vidoes of people seeing the castle for the first time or getting a trip for Christmas. That helps spark the magic for me.

We love going as my girls are young 7&10. When we started going about 6 years ago my thinking was and is they will not wanting to be doing this in their teen years. Your DD had been fortunate to go many times and she is done with it. Her life is changing and she is starting to make plans for her life. As much as we parents hate to think that the wicked truth is that it is time to move on. I know we will not be going in HS. The trips we are planning at that point will be a week in a beach house,cruising or other destinations. But for now we will enjoy the magic through my girls eyes. Life is changing and that is hard. You are blessed that you can stay club level and have all the extra's. You really have a lot going for you.

Nothing is wrong with you.... you actually sound quite normal! Just try to remember that everyone going this time around acts like 5 year olds in Disney and you're staying club level! That's freaking awesome!!! You never have to worry about snacks and drinks when you're around your resort and you have a lounge to spread out in if things are feeling cramped in the room or if your family happens to develop some similar tension from last time. Your trip is paid. Just try to focus on things at home and before you know, 33 days will be passed and you'll be at WDW having an experience so magical that it will make up for last time too. pixiedust:

Thanks to all. I was even feeling guilty about not being excited ( as was mentioned we are fortunate enough to be going to wdw and staying club level ... Something I never thought we would do in a million years).

I had the same thing during my last trip. I was so excited and then about a month before it was like someone flipped a switch. I think I was just exhausted, and not looking forward to all of the packing and planning. Once we got there (our first trip to BCV) I also have some anxiety about flying and alleys feel better once we arrive.

I wouldn't feel bad about leaving someone behind, especially if they will bring your trip down (even if it is your almost adult daughter)! Disney is expensive and you want to make the most of it. I've traveled with a Debbie Downer and it's no fun. I would just enjoy your time, bring her home a little something and stop beating yourself up about it!

Have fun!!!!

I had the same thing during my last trip. I was so excited and then about a month before it was like someone flipped a switch. I think I was just exhausted, and not looking forward to all of the packing and planning. Once we got there (our first trip to BCV) I also have some anxiety about flying and alleys feel better once we arrive. I wouldn't feel bad about leaving someone behind, especially if they will bring your trip down (even if it is your almost adult daughter)! Disney is expensive and you want to make the most of it. I've traveled with a Debbie Downer and it's no fun. I would just enjoy your time, bring her home a little something and stop beating yourself up about it! Have fun!!!!
replies like your are making me feel so much better. The funny thing is I feel bad about dd not coming, I even feel guilty for occasionally being relieved. My dd on the other had thinks it's great. We live in the country so she's staying in town with my parents. She has a car, I'm giving her money, she doesn't have to leave 30+ minutes early every day and basically she feels some freedom.

I also feel huge guilt for being slightly relieved dd17 isn't going

I think this might be the source of your problem. It's hard to be excited when you are feeling guilty. But trust me I KNOW where you are coming from. I have a 17 yr old dd and while she is a wonderful kid, she can be moody and tiring sometimes. Luckily, she's not like that on vacation and still loves our trips. It's the rest of the time that she complains at me lol. I can totally understand being slightly relieved that you won't have to worry about grumpiness and arguing. Your younger kids will probably enjoy it more too.
Even the best teenagers can be difficult sometimes.:hug:

We are already starting to see this teenage moodiness with DS14. In the past month he has decided not to do at least 4 or 5 family activities that he used to love. Now he is "hanging out" at friends houses or at our house, going to dances. in other words, growing up. After initially getting upset, DW has started to see that the rest of us have a better time without the "attitude". So far though, Disney is not affected. He is the one driving the next trip, pushing for dvc, and generally getting everyone else excited. So we will just let him go and enjoy it while we can because we know one day he will no longer be interested in Disney with the family. When that day comes, we will be better off leaving him at home and enjoying the time we have left with DS8.

This probably sounds terrible, but we just had our first trip to Disney - and it was a lot like your first one in 2012! It makes me feel a lot better to know that not everyone has a perfectly magical vacation :wizard: though my husband is swearing never to return to Florida (our last trip was bad, too - Disney wasn't involved - maybe it's cursed for us, LOL)

Have a great trip - there's so much planning involved with this kind of vacation, it's hard to keep up the steam for that long. I think I'm in withdrawal, which is why I'm haunting the forums now, LOL. Im not putting any posts in the happy dance forum, it didn't go like that for us, so here I am looking for some validation on our trip experience. Honestly, it sounds like you are making good decisions for your trip and for your family. Leaving DD17 at home will make her feel like she's making her own decisions in life - when you're 17 that's everything, right?

Go and enjoy your trip! Best of luck and safe travels!

I'm not sure where to post this so I will start here. My upcoming trip is in 33 days. I've been excited up until about a week ago. Maybe it's because our last trip wasn't very magical. In 2012 we had one thing happen after the next to where we probably should have cancelled but didn't. ( My DD15 friend was going and we already had 6 plane tickets paid for). When we arrived at FW cabins I thought all would be fine but it wasn't. The resort wasn't what we had experienced there previously. We even encountered our first rude CMs (yes plural in various location). Kids fighting, my oldest DD(then 15) was already disneyed out. I was upset at her for not letting her friend (a total disney newbie... Actual theme park newbie ) really enjoy herself. Basically our 2012 trip wasn't great and if that was our first trip we probably wouldn't have gone again.
Flash forward to 2014. My DD17 refused to go (although I am sad about not going as a whole family I am slightly relieved because the rest if us kinda act like 5 year olds there and she just doesn't feel the magic). Our trip consists of me, DH, Dd14, DS11. We are staying 8 nights at the Beach Club (first time). And we actually upgraded to club level. When we upgraded we dumped the dining plan but I'm actually feeling good about not rushing from ADR to ADR . Although a few disasters happened recently we got through them and I even paid the trip off early (not a week late like last time). We have almost everything ready to go except for a few misc items but for the most part we are just going to work and school and waiting. I'm just not excited at all. What's wrong with me ??

I'm wondering if the other reasons could be of all that seems to be going on there. HM will be closed, maelstrom is closed, dinosaur is missing a dinosaur, plus everything has gone frozen. Not to mention all the complaining about the new fastpass system Don't get me wrong I love going to WDW and having something new or different each time but there seems to be so many of my favorite things gone it just won't be the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter