"Non-traditional" things to bring

PattiPB

<font color=green>I'll be happy to learn the secre
For our trip next June, I'm planning on bringing my normal (big) beach bag, and the beach blanket we use when we travel, so we can use it at different beaches.

Can you think of any other things you brought (or wish you brought) to make your stay more pleasant?

TIA~

if you go in the winter, binoculers are fun to do a little whale watching from the balcony (look for the puffs) , also are good to watch the surfers at the north shore.

I will bring rice since they have rice cooker in the room (at least the one we stayed last time). I can cook my rice and eat it with tuna poke from Costco.

A soft sided cooler or insulated bag of some sort would have been nice for off-site days when we were traveling around the island. Also, we used a car charger for our iPhones because we were using our phones for navigation in the car and it wore the battery down quite a bit. We had brought both the USB cord and the lighter plug in charger because we weren't sure whether our rental card would have a USB port.

We also purchased floats for the lagoon at Target and a hand air pump at the ABC Store across from Aulani. It would be easier to buy at least the floats when you get there.

In anticipation of my trip, I purchased this safe (https://safego.us/) to store phone and valuables when I have to leave a beach chair alone to go in the water. I know that I will be up much earlier than the rest of my party and will not always have someone available to watch my things.

The safe is a cool thing. I have a KYSS bag which I used the whole time we were in Hawaii. It's a bag that has a chain and combination lock attached to it. I'd fasten it to the umbrella or casabella, something fixed that couldn't be move, and then you can lock your zippers with it. This prevents someone from both opening your bag and walking off with it. The bag is also supposed to be slash proof. At a minimum, the chained bag would be a deterrent for a thief.

Two people referenced locking systems for their pool bags. Are you particularly worried about theft at Aulani because the resort is open to the public, or are you naturally cautious? I ask because we've never locked our stuff at any resort pool or beach (and we travel often).

I will bring rice since they have rice cooker in the room (at least the one we stayed last time). I can cook my rice and eat it with tuna poke from Costco.

I haven't seen a rice cooker mentioned in any other posts. I assume you had a one- or two-bedroom villa. We will have a studio. Is a rice cooker something I can request from Mousekeeping? I'd love to have one in the studio.

I haven't seen a rice cooker mentioned in any other posts. I assume you had a one- or two-bedroom villa. We will have a studio. Is a rice cooker something I can request from Mousekeeping? I'd love to have one in the studio.

We had a 2-bedroom with a full kitchen. I am not sure if you can request one for studio. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Two people referenced locking systems for their pool bags. Are you particularly worried about theft at Aulani because the resort is open to the public, or are you naturally cautious? I ask because we've never locked our stuff at any resort pool or beach (and we travel often).

Guests/members and staff are perfectly capable of stealing, though. I'm sure theft rate is considerably lower at private facilities, but nothing is 100% secure. Plus, I've been reading that the pool situation is really crazy at certain times. Better to protect your property.

This may be pretty silly to most, but we bring larger coffee mugs. Found the ones stocked in the villas are on the smaller side and we were constantly refilling our cups. Brought larger ones to save ourselves that arduous walk from the balcony to the kitchen for a refill. :coffee:

This may be pretty silly to most, but we bring larger coffee mugs. Found the ones stocked in the villas are on the smaller side and we were constantly refilling our cups. Brought larger ones to save ourselves that arduous walk from the balcony to the kitchen for a refill. :coffee:
Yes, this. That walk from the balcony to the kitchen darn nearly wears a body out. They really do need bigger coffee mugs.

Most resorts in most places are open to the public, anywhere. Most resorts will allow anyone on site to dine at restaurants, visit other guests, etc. Many will allow non-guests to stroll the grounds, they just can't use the chairs, pool, etc. So Aulani is no different in that regard.

Regardless of the resort, cruise ship, etc., I always take precautions to secure my belongings for peace of mind. Aside from having a little bit of cash and my credit cards in the bag, I usually have my iPhone and sometimes my iPad in the bag as well so I can read while at the pool. I would not want to leave that unattended at my chair to go in the pool or the ocean, restroom, etc. So while theft isn't necessarily rampant at Aulani, I just think it would be irresponsible anywhere to leave personal items of value unsecured.

But, if you don't have any electronics or cash in your bag, then I wouldn't worry about it. We'd often leave our flip flops and cover ups at the entrance to the lazy river and no one bothered it and we weren't worried about it either.

We had a studio and there was a rice cooker in the cabinet. We did not use it. I think rice cookers are standard in all DVC units due to the amount of guests from Japan/Asia.

Someone had suggested small containers or bags of spices for the kitchen if you've got a 1 or 2 bedroom. We've added that to our packing list!

We had a studio and there was a rice cooker in the cabinet. We did not use it. I think rice cookers are standard in all DVC units due to the amount of guests from Japan/Asia.
Correct, there is a rice cooker in all the Aulani DVC units. I believe there are also rice bowls and chopsticks.

Great news! Thanks for all of your comments re: security, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter