• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NO Star Wars Weekends ...........

That is true depending if they do a phased opening or not.

I was thinking more in terms of events during the construction, like for the past 2 years they've had the Frozen Summer Fun Event which was a way to draw people to the park, but also a way to capitalize on the popularity of Frozen while building the attractions at Epoct.

I'm just speculating here, but since the Frozen stuff at Epcot opens this spring, I kind of doubt there will be another Frozen Summer Fun at the Studios this year, so maybe of that there will be some kind of Star Wars Summer Fun this year instead, because it seems really me that they're stopping the Star Wars Weekends the year after this new Star Wars movie is coming out

I was thinking more in terms of events during the construction, like for the past 2 years they've had the Frozen Summer Fun Event which was a way to draw people to the park, but also a way to capitalize on the popularity of Frozen while building the attractions at Epoct.

I'm just speculating here, but since the Frozen stuff at Epcot opens this spring, I kind of doubt there will be another Frozen Summer Fun at the Studios this year, so maybe of that there will be some kind of Star Wars Summer Fun this year instead, because it seems really me that they're stopping the Star Wars Weekends the year after this new Star Wars movie is coming out

I honestly believe they are stopping Star Wars Weekends, and it won't get replaced by anything that is remotely equivalent or better. I also don't believe they will do anything during the summer, except maybe the fireworks on weekends, with a dessert party of course:rolleyes: Launch Bay will be there for a while, and the new Star Tours scenes are permanent.

What's sad is that you might have to HOPE it takes that long.

Lest it be mock ups, meet and greets and character cupcake buffets...

I wish Disney would rip through it like wizarding world or diagon alley across town...but I have seen no evidence that anyone in Burbank has the stones to try it.

And to be fair...the Harry Potter lands both had "one big ride" constructed...the rest were overlays and retheming. Disney does have to go ground up.

There are much bigger "forces" at work here...as in twdc is trying to build some strategic safeguards to try and prop up overseas parks, declining cable revenues, and changes in retail...
So maybe...just maybe...wall st might be on the same page as the customers here...
...but I doubt it.

Careful-- you're starting to sprout a shred of optimism---- between this post and being willing to pay for some of the SW upgrades, I am thinking you got hacked. ..... you must have had a good day....

Careful-- you're starting to sprout a shred of optimism---- between this post and being willing to pay for some of the SW upgrades, I am thinking you got hacked. ..... you must have had a good day....

I don't think I've been too guarded on my Star Wars FILM optimism...

Parks are a different story.

I think I'm "optimistic" that there are some in the golden dwarf tower that are waking up from the 12 year malaise and realizing the pilings are starting to get brittle. You can have the prettiest beach house but it can't be on 1850 timbers...

The emerging "plight" of Disney...meaning the decline of cable and China circling the bowl...should make the punchers realize it's good to have US fallbacks/stability now while the stock is high and cash is ridiculously cheap.

I hope...10-15% confidence ;)

I honestly believe they are stopping Star Wars Weekends, and it won't get replaced by anything that is remotely equivalent or better. I also don't believe they will do anything during the summer, except maybe the fireworks on weekends, with a dessert party of course:rolleyes: Launch Bay will be there for a while, and the new Star Tours scenes are permanent.

Umm...Star Wars weekends are done...gotta read between the lines here.

The reason they had them in the first place is because Star Wars was a massive fanbase and star tours was, is, and always will be PATHETIC.

So they jazzed it up.

Now i would guess they're gonna go pretty big in the park(s) on permenant stuff. Heck...just seeing the size of avatar eases my mind a little...cause that won't make a dime in the giftshop...wasting Cameron's money ;)

But as far as "weekends"? It doesn't make any sense anymore...unless the new Disney Star Wars become so huge that the demand forces more stuff...

Which we'd all probably be "ok" with...

To those saying SWW should have been held in the summer in previous years- aside from not needing to draw in crowds during summer break, it is too hot to hold it later in the summer. It is already too hot by the beginning of June. Try standing in 90 degree plus heat with 90-100% humidity, in the sun, in a costume- not pleasant! We often wished they would move the weekends earlier; I can't imagine how bad it was for the characters! The local school children aren't typically out of school until the beginning of June, and colleges end anywhere from the beginning to the end of May. SWW never suffered from a lack of attendance! In fact, it was expanded to 5 weekends and each year you had to get up earlier to get an autograph.

I'm very dissapointed. Seasons of the Forces is nowhere near the same, and a new, amazing SW land does not make up for SWW. Universal has two HP lands and still has a HP event every year...we are seriously considering letting our Disney passes expire in December and buying Universal instead as a result of SWW being canceled. We won't stay away from Disney forever, but there is no need to always have a pass if there is no SWW. That was by far the best thing to do at Disney every year. I went to four of the five weekends last year, and spent money each visit, sometimes a lot. Being local, often we spend no money or just split one dinner. SWW was the exception.

Umm...Star Wars weekends are done...gotta read between the lines here.

The reason they had them in the first place is because Star Wars was a massive fanbase and star tours was, is, and always will be PATHETIC.

So they jazzed it up.

Now i would guess they're gonna go pretty big in the park(s) on permenant stuff. Heck...just seeing the size of avatar eases my mind a little...cause that won't make a dime in the giftshop...wasting Cameron's money ;)

But as far as "weekends"? It doesn't make any sense anymore...unless the new Disney Star Wars become so huge that the demand forces more stuff...

Which we'd all probably be "ok" with...

Star Wars Weekends is completely different from a theme park area based on Star Wars. It's more like a fan convention. I think there are a lot of people who disagree that it doesn't make sense anymore. It doesn't make sense for Disney, because it doesn't bring in enough money for the trouble. That's fine. I am looking forward to Star War Land, but I can also see a need for Star Wars Weekends. Universal does Harry Potter weekends/celebration, even though they have a permanent base in the park. They seem to do pretty well with those.

I am not sure what you mean by "read between the lines". I think I specifically said that they are done/stopped/won't be replaced. They won't be back, even after the construction is over. That wasn't my choice to make though.

To those saying SWW should have been held in the summer in previous years- aside from not needing to draw in crowds during summer break, it is too hot to hold it later in the summer. It is already too hot by the beginning of June. Try standing in 90 degree plus heat with 90-100% humidity, in the sun, in a costume- not pleasant! We often wished they would move the weekends earlier; I can't imagine how bad it was for the characters! The local school children aren't typically out of school until the beginning of June, and colleges end anywhere from the beginning to the end of May. SWW never suffered from a lack of attendance! In fact, it was expanded to 5 weekends and each year you had to get up earlier to get an autograph.

I'm very dissapointed. Seasons of the Forces is nowhere near the same, and a new, amazing SW land does not make up for SWW. Universal has two HP lands and still has a HP event every year...we are seriously considering letting our Disney passes expire in December and buying Universal instead as a result of SWW being canceled. We won't stay away from Disney forever, but there is no need to always have a pass if there is no SWW. That was by far the best thing to do at Disney every year. I went to four of the five weekends last year, and spent money each visit, sometimes a lot. Being local, often we spend no money or just split one dinner. SWW was the exception.

Wow...a Jake Lloyd autograph is that big,huh?
You know...they'll still let you dress up anyway, right?

Star Wars Weekends is completely different from a theme park area based on Star Wars. It's more like a fan convention. I think there are a lot of people who disagree that it doesn't make sense anymore. It doesn't make sense for Disney, because it doesn't bring in enough money for the trouble. That's fine. I am looking forward to Star War Land, but I can also see a need for Star Wars Weekends. Universal does Harry Potter weekends/celebration, even though they have a permanent base in the park. They seem to do pretty well with those.

I am not sure what you mean by "read between the lines". I think I specifically said that they are done/stopped/won't be replaced. They won't be back, even after the construction is over. That wasn't my choice to make though.

They may still do an event...

Or perhaps they'll lean toward more consistent draws/revenues?
Who knows for sure. Isn't it a little shocking to cancel it now when the hype for those weekends in soft may would be the highest though?

Just seems strange now...

I'm not a fan of special upcharge events...for those that want a really over priced mini Star Wars convention...you may get your wish back. They'd have no problem taking your money if the grumble is there...

I agree with this and your other post, I think you're right that the Star Wars Weekends as we know it, the fan convention/special guest format, is probably done, at least for the time being, but they've been doing the Frozen Summer Fun events the past few years in part because they've been shutting down attractions at the Studios, and that's still a problem they are going to have to deal with for the next few years while these new things are being built. So I think it's pretty likely that this summer there could be some type Star Wars version of Frozen Summer activities... parade? stage show? fireworks? dessert parties? ect...

I wish Disney would rip through it like wizarding world or diagon alley across town...but I have seen no evidence that anyone in Burbank has the stones to try it.

It's partly about ego. Once Iger said "we're not going to get into an arms race of building new attractions" it became his signature tune. At least when it comes to theme park strategy. Robert the Wise spaketh thus: "And lo, we shall make big profit in Shanghai and bail out Paris but worrieth not everybody loveth Orlando. Ignoreth thou the heathens on Universal Blvd."

Because of that, they have to back into major theme park upgrades while pretending to be not competing with Universal, and not worried about image, mindspace or the perception of lethargy and arrogance.

The other reason is that they're going to be hemorrhaging cash into the bankrupt kingdoms of China and Euroland for the next 'n' years. So they have to try to make the WDW improvements pay for themselves out of (1) price increases, (2) continually increasing attendance (they hope) and (3) by spreading out construction schedules over the longest possible time.

I agree with this and your other post, I think you're right that the Star Wars Weekends as we know it, the fan convention/special guest format, is probably done, at least for the time being, but they've been doing the Frozen Summer Fun events the past few years in part because they've been shutting down attractions at the Studios, and that's still a problem they are going to have to deal with for the next few years while these new things are being built. So I think it's pretty likely that this summer there could be some type Star Wars version of Frozen Summer activities... parade? stage show? fireworks? dessert parties? ect...

I have read speculation that the Backlot area will be under construction soon. That is apparently where the fireworks are launched. If that's true, then they may not have anywhere else to launch them. They already have to close GMR and TSMM early when they do the fireworks because of ash/fallout.

It's partly about ego. Once Iger said "we're not going to get into an arms race of building new attractions" it became his signature tune. At least when it comes to theme park strategy. Robert the Wise spaketh thus: "And lo, we shall make big profit in Shanghai and bail out Paris but worrieth not everybody loveth Orlando. Ignoreth thou the heathens on Universal Blvd."

Because of that, they have to back into major theme park upgrades while pretending to be not competing with Universal, and not worried about image, mindspace or the perception of lethargy and arrogance.

The other reason is that they're going to be hemorrhaging cash into the bankrupt kingdoms of China and Euroland for the next 'n' years. So they have to try to make the WDW improvements pay for themselves out of (1) price increases, (2) continually increasing attendance (they hope) and (3) by spreading out construction schedules over the longest possible time.

You mean like 6,000,000,000 to build a complex in a country where the mean wage is 1,100 yuan a year?

By the way...your post couldn't be more correct...
...and I hate you for it :(

Last edited:
I have read speculation that the Backlot area will be under construction soon. That is apparently where the fireworks are launched. If that's true, then they may not have anywhere else to launch them. They already have to close GMR and TSMM early when they do the fireworks because of ash/fallout.
Backlot area is where the rumored third land/area is supposed to go.

Wow...a Jake Lloyd autograph is that big,huh?
You know...they'll still let you dress up anyway, right?

The last two years, to get an autograph for anyone from the live action films you almost always had to be there by 4, 430 am at the latest. About four years ago you could be there by 6:30 and get most of the people.

Unless they choose to make an exception, no one over the age of 9 can wear a costume except to the Halloween parties, and formerly SWW. Seasons of the Force is going to be so much longer I doubt they'll let adults wear costumes but we'll see. Even if they do, that still doesn't make up for everythint that was lost.

They launch fire works at the Studios from a small cast member parking lot between Catastrophe Canyon and World Drive, which is not in the area slated for of Pixar or Star Wars construction, and they usually launch at the end of the night as the park is shutting down

Hollywood-park-Nov2015.jpg

Last edited:
The last two years, to get an autograph for anyone from the live action films you almost always had to be there by 4, 430 am at the latest. About four years ago you could be there by 6:30 and get most of the people.

Unless they choose to make an exception, no one over the age of 9 can wear a costume except to the Halloween parties, and formerly SWW. Seasons of the Force is going to be so much longer I doubt they'll let adults wear costumes but we'll see. Even if they do, that still doesn't make up for everythint that was lost.

I might have been a little tongue in cheek there

I never got to go to sww, but wanted to. It was always at a time hard to go. Oh well, still excited for sw land :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter