No post WDW trip depression...yet!

2Pirates2Princesses

DIS Veteran
I've seen posts where people mentioned experiencing a sense of prolonged sadness or depression when their WDW trips came to an end. I was certain this would happen to me, especially after spending so much time researching and planning for this trip for it all to be over in a week. However, I can say that I've been on a post Disney trip "bliss" so to speak. We came back from our trip a little over two weeks ago and I've been happy and upbeat ever since. We had such a great time and made it a priority to simply enjoy the atmosphere and the fact that we were there in WDW just as much as trying to accomplish our "must do's". We also view the opportunity to take this trip as a blessing for our family and that keeps things in perspective for us. There were a couple times when we almost had to cancel our trip or had some doubts that it would work out with some of the challenges our family faces (our oldest DS has significant special needs). Looking back on it I can say it was definitely the right time for us to go on our first family trip to WDW and I am looking forward to when I can start planning our next trip! We want to wait until our 2 year old is 4 and at least 40 inches tall so that he can enjoy some of the bigger attractions our other children can't stop talking about (Splash Mountain, Test Track, etc.). So I can defintely say that while I certainly didn't want our trip to come to an end, I haven't stopped smiling about it yet :goodvibes

As someone who constantly suffers from post-Disney vacation depression (and just post-vacation depression in general), I am truly happy to hear that you're not going through this. It may sound silly, but it's completely miserable when you're going through it. When I get it, it seems like every aspect of the real world makes me cry. I wake up and look out my window into my backyard and cry because at Disney, I had no backyard and was waking up looking at a pool and palm trees. I sit down to get on my computer and just can't open it at all because I didn't use the computer at all on vacation. I cried when I got my hair cut because the last time I got it cut was right before our trip, when I was so excited and it pained me to be reminded of that. I even went through a phase where I would look at all the Disney merchandise I bought and couldn't even touch it or look at it because it reminded me too much of the place I left. I compared everything I saw with Disney and cried because it wasn't like it at all. It was like a year of planning and excitement was suddenly over and it crushed me. I wasn't myself for about a month straight after we came back every trip. And it still happens. I think the worst is thinking about getting back to how you were before you left and realizing that before you left, you still had something to look forward to. It still happens to me now, but I try to plan new things right when we came back. This year, I planned our entire trip to Hawaii the day after we got back from Disney World-hotel, flights, everything.

Anyway, sorry for that depressing tidbit. Sometimes I feel like I just have to share my story and get it out. But I am very happy that you are not experiencing any of that! :cheer2: It's so nice to be able to look back on an awesome vacation and get excited just thinking about all the memories you made. I wish I could do this without crying after a vacation (I just can't). I'm glad to hear that you had a wonderful time and I hope that the depression continues to stay away. I'd say that after 2 weeks, you're safe. ;)

I've seen posts where people mentioned experiencing a sense of prolonged sadness or depression when their WDW trips came to an end. I was certain this would happen to me, especially after spending so much time researching and planning for this trip for it all to be over in a week. However, I can say that I've been on a post Disney trip "bliss" so to speak. We came back from our trip a little over two weeks ago and I've been happy and upbeat ever since. We had such a great time and made it a priority to simply enjoy the atmosphere and the fact that we were there in WDW just as much as trying to accomplish our "must do's". We also view the opportunity to take this trip as a blessing for our family and that keeps things in perspective for us. There were a couple times when we almost had to cancel our trip or had some doubts that it would work out with some of the challenges our family faces (our oldest DS has significant special needs). Looking back on it I can say it was definitely the right time for us to go on our first family trip to WDW and I am looking forward to when I can start planning our next trip! We want to wait until our 2 year old is 4 and at least 40 inches tall so that he can enjoy some of the bigger attractions our other children can't stop talking about (Splash Mountain, Test Track, etc.). So I can defintely say that while I certainly didn't want our trip to come to an end, I haven't stopped smiling about it yet :goodvibes

You are just in denial.:rotfl:

I never get it either but I like getting back to my home and most years, my pets and I try to have stuff to look forward to after we're back too. Now, I don't look forward to going back to work but that's another issue.

I like the idea of looking at the trip as a blessing. It truly is, isn't it? :)

Not only do I get post trip depression I get pre-trip depression. We will be in the world in 4 weeks through out the course of the day I will think in 4 weeks we will be here or there. But then reality sets in and I think but in 5 weeks it will only be a memory totally bummed :sad1:

Even when we are there the first couple of days are great then mid-week the depression starts to set in.

The cure is planning another trip! LOL! I wasn't bummed coming back from our very recent trip because DH and I are going back Nov 1st (alone!) and plan to enjoy F&W. :cool1:
Then after that one I already know I'm taking just middle DS in late April so that won't be a long wait either.
On our last trip we upgraded to season pases. :thumbsup2

This thread would be a better fit on the theme parks community board, so I'm going to move it there now.

I never got it either; usually happy to get home to see our cat(s) and getting back to a normal routine again. As much as I love WDW and the special time with my family, the pre-trip craziness and Disney crowds drive us all a bit nuts. I especially look forward to reviewing and enjoying my pictures after each trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter