• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No one told me being a mother could hurt this much

I just put my oldest daughter on a plane to California. I am excited for her new job but having a hard time with the distance and the idea of her being all alone. I am physically hurting. She has not lived at home for several years but her apartment was close by so we saw her often. I had no idea I would ache this much.

I remember with great clarity what my mom said to me when as a new bride and college graduate I was about to move 1000+ miles away.

"I have done my job well you are a beautiful, confidant and mature young lady. You will go far in this life and I will have a new wonderful place to visit."

She really did enjoy planning her yearly visits to wherever we lived at the time. I really do miss her but learned from her great example when it was time to let mine fly.

The hurt does soften with time.

DD lives away from us now. But I always remind myself that is nothing compared to what many moms deal withas. Kids with major health issues, addiction, teen pregnancy, etc. That always makes me feel blessed again, rather than sad.

My oldest is a sophpmore in universtiy in Colorado. We live in Germany. Leaving them on campus was SO HARD. The more I see how happy and thriving my kid is and how many connections they have built for themselvs in their new home, the easier it is. It gest better :hug:
And thank goodness for modern ways of communicating over long distances!

Last year my only daughter went to a summer college program in Rhode Island- it was only for a month but boy did I miss her- now we are getting ready for college in Sept and she will be dorming away- Where ever she ends up living is where I will end up moving- not with her that is for sure but close enough where I would be close enough to see my grandkids when the time comes. I do NOT want to be a grandparent that only sees the grandkids once a year. Its just me and my daughter I have no other ties where I am so I can go anyplace.

I just put my oldest daughter on a plane to California. I am excited for her new job but having a hard time with the distance and the idea of her being all alone. I am physically hurting. She has not lived at home for several years but her apartment was close by so we saw her often. I had no idea I would ache this much.
I have 4 that went in different directions. I know what you are going through. I read others advice and our family does talk, Skype, etc. I realized our lives have changed, and it is just so different.

I feel your ache. My daughter is scheduled for deployment this year.

Huge hug.

Our oldest is still in school and still living with us, but I already can tell things haven't changed from when he was younger as far as how much I love him/worry about him/will miss him/etc. I didn't realize that about having adult children. I guess I assumed the love would change a little and the worry, etc would lessen. :(

I'm sure you gave her roots. Now it's very clear you gave her wings. It's not easy, but you did what you were supposed to.

You did good, mom. :grouphug:

As "the daughter" who moved hundreds of miles away, I will say that it hurts for us, too, but OP, know that you raised a confident, independent young woman who is grateful for all that you've done for her. :goodvibes

Skype, Facetime, Google Hangouts are available now so we can be together when we're apart.

My son moved 6 hours from us for college. Early last summer, my son moved from Vancouver to San Jose. He has to follow his dreams. I feel for you.

I know what you are going through. I have one child 250 miles away and the other 2 are thousands of miles away. The youngest is a college senior and home on break, she is cleaning out everything left in her room for donation or throwing away. It's sad looking at the old school memories going, and a reminder that she won't be back for any more lengthy college breaks.

But there is a family in our neighborhood who lost a son to a drug overdose and another family that lost a son to suicide, so although it still hurts, we are very blessed that our children are healthy and living on their own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter