No more smoking or vaping in the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they did this, there would be periods of times when scooters would be stationary due to crowds. I don’t think this idea would be feasible.

There are posts that say they are already testing that type of scooter. And that it is a massive pain in the rear.

I get the anti smoke posts but yes I smoke, I was thinking buying into dvc, not so much now. I have always seeked out the smoking sections and never smoked anywhere else always followed the rules BUT if they are going to make it so difficult for me to smoke in their parks,then NO , I’m sad cause I love Disney but I have traveled all over the world and I guess I will continue to travel elsewhere

The smoke drifts. Smokers have a way of taking the last puff then leaving the area. Or even walking in a building and blowing it out. The smoke carry’s. Smokers can’t tell that it does. By the dole whip place it’s awful. Just stinks.
No Disney World DSA is close enough to a building for this to be feasible.
Studies in the 40s and 50s determined that smoking contributed to lung cancer and starting in 65, warnings have appeared on each and every pack as a result of a 1964 surgeon general's report. So unless someone is over 80, or started smoking at age 6 or something, if that someone didn't know, they didn't want to. 30 years ago, I'd have rightfully accepted and probably posted similar. But those that can legitimately say the information wasn't out there are mostly gone now and will soon be completely gone.
1966, actually. I think 1/1/66. Fifty three years ago.Average age to start smoking is 15, but as early as 12. That person would be 65-68 now.

1966, actually. I think 1/1/66. Fifty three years ago.Average age to start smoking is 15, but as early as 12. That person would be 65-68 now.
Wasn’t really referring to Disney in that instance but it is very common for smokers to take a last puff before entering a building, throw the butt on the ground, walk in and blow the smoke out. It’s gross and sick. And yes it stinks near the dole whip place. It’s awful.

At the risk of being attacked, and perhaps thrown off the board, I’ll give my thoughts. First, second hand smoke, outdoors is harmless. It’s unbelievable how many people worry about passing a smoker outdoors, but at 50 pounds overweight (or more) think nothing of walking down Main Street with burger in one hand and s Mickey Barr in the other.
I a aware that many people don’t like to pass the smoking areas. The easy answer is, as smokers had to walk out of our way to the smoking area to smoke, why not go a few steps out of their way to avoid passing it? Oh, right, many are too out of shape to take 5 extra steps...but they’re worried about my second hand smoke. Really??!

I know I'll be in the minority here but I was so sad to read this morning's announcements. We have had so many really great trips to Disney, but I know my husband won't go back with a no-smoking policy in place. It isn't reasonable in the least to expect smokers to hike all the way back to the parking lot to have a cigarette, on top of all the walking that is already involved in a WDW vacation. Disney has to know this and I'm sure they don't care - they are busy enough that losing the ~20% of Americans who still smoke is a loss they're willing to accept. But on a personal level, I'm so disappointed that we'll never take that adults-only trip we've been talking about for years or give DD her 21st birthday wish with a Food & Wine trip.

Obviously a full blown all park vacation would be difficult, but I read one of the smoking areas will be at the IG in Epcot. Its not too far off the beaten path, maybe you could still take that Food and Wine mini vacation.

Wasn’t really referring to Disney in that instance but it is very common for smokers to take a last puff before entering a building, throw the butt on the ground, walk in and blow the smoke out. It’s gross and sick. And yes it stinks near the dole whip place. It’s awful.
Oh yeah. My favorite is when they blow it in my face.

Obviously a full blown all park vacation would be difficult, but I read one of the smoking areas will be at the IG in Epcot. Its not too far off the beaten path, maybe you could still take that Food and Wine mini vacation.
Lighters and matches (in limited quantities) actually are allowed only in carry on luggage.

Actually lighters are only allowed in carry on now, not checked and cigarettes on either. (Delta and Jet Blue anyway)

At the risk of being attacked, and perhaps thrown off the board, I’ll give my thoughts. First, second hand smoke, outdoors is harmless. It’s unbelievable how many people worry about passing a smoker outdoors, but at 50 pounds overweight (or more) think nothing of walking down Main Street with burger in one hand and s Mickey Barr in the other.
I a aware that many people don’t like to pass the smoking areas. The easy answer is, as smokers had to walk out of our way to the smoking area to smoke, why not go a few steps out of their way to avoid passing it? Oh, right, many are too out of shape to take 5 extra steps...but they’re worried about my second hand smoke. Really??!
Please post links to research that concludes that second hand smoke outdoors is not harmful to health. I would be interested in reading these studies.

Seems like they could have tried enforcing the rules they had before they made stricter ones that they will STILL have to enforce. What are they going to do? A pat down for everyone to make sure they have no cigarettes? Wouldn't have been simpler to just train the CMs to direct smokers to the DSAs? And make those areas easy to spot?

I think all DSAs should be out of the way and set up so that non-smokers have to be consciously trying to walk through them to do so. No one but the smokers should have to deal with it. But I wonder how many smokers will stop spending time in the shops and restaurants to run out and smoke or go off site for meals so they can smoke?

Funny you say that. My husband is an ex smoker. I used to take my kids to the shops while he had a cigarette! I spent money while he was smoking! He doesnt any more, but back in the day NO WAY would he walk all the way out of the park for a cigarette. His one "must have" cigarette was after a large meal. Cant imagine him leaving BOG and having to go all the way out. There should be an area in each park, way off the beaten path, but 1/2 way marks around the parks.

Surgeon General's report came out Jan 11, 64. But information on the dangers of smoking was available even before that. So my statement stands. Anyone over 80, I'll accept that excuse. Anyone under such, you either knew or you didn't want to. Further, even if someone is 80 and smoking, they've had over 50 years now of definitive notice of the effects. So I'm being extra generous by even giving them a pass.

C931FBB5-0B9A-4685-8205-63874C1E89E2.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter