No More Mugs at DVC Welcome Party on the Magic

jiminy14

DIS Veteran
Just got off the Magic yesterday and they are no longer giving out the mugs at the DVC welcome party. They were only giving out the lanyards and the 25th anniversary buttons. They did still have the free drinks and bottles of water and one of the presenters threw out a few USB drives to the crowd. I asked one of the DVC why there were no mugs and he said that they had run out of them.
For those interested, the port day gifts were the sand cups and the picture of Walt and Lillian. The gift that you received with the token in the card that they leave in your stateroom was the blue DVC baseball cap.

Hi. Is there a DVC Welcome party on all DCL cruises? How do you find out about it? DH and I are sailing to Alaska on the Wonder in July using our DVC points, but I haven't heard anything about a party.

We are also CC, but know nothing about gifts since this is our first non-DVC Members Cruise. Anything we should know in advance?

Thanks for any help/advice you can provide!

Hi. Is there a DVC Welcome party on all DCL cruises? How do you find out about it? DH and I are sailing to Alaska on the Wonder in July using our DVC points, but I haven't heard anything about a party.

We are also CC, but know nothing about gifts since this is our first non-DVC Members Cruise. Anything we should know in advance?

Thanks for any help/advice you can provide!

I believe the DVC party is held on all cruises. It's not the kind of thing you will hear about or get "invited to" in advance, when you receive your first Personal Navigator in the cruise terminal it will just have it listed in there with a time. It's while the ship is still docked before the emergency drill. Have your membership card handy just in case, the crew at the venue will have a list of all/most DVC members on board, on my cruise my partner and I weren't on there for some reason but showing our membership cards cleared it all up. I find the party a little silly, it's more a sales pitch for people to add points with some little games (eg. guess the movie from the song) and freebies and free cocktails to entice people to come along. I went to the DVC-only party and also accompanied some friends to the sales pitch on my last cruise, and I honestly preferred the merchandise they gave out to the non-members! The party gave out some USB drives, the normal pitch was giving out DVC-branded magnets, pins and a nice beach/snorkel satchel.

I'm not exactly sure how Castaway Club works if the cruiser has only taken member cruises in the past, but the way it works for standard cruises is on your second cruise and beyond you will have a gift (usually a bag of some sort) waiting in your stateroom. The style of the bag corresponds with whatever CC tier you are (eg gold members generally get a gold bag). I think gold and platinum members also get a photo frame with their bag. Someone else may be able to answer if member cruises count toward your CC club status, if they do then there will be a bag waiting for you on embarkation day! (It's a limit of one bag per stateroom, even if there's multiple people in a room that have cruised before it's just the one bag).

I believe the DVC party is held on all cruises. It's not the kind of thing you will hear about or get "invited to" in advance, when you receive your first Personal Navigator in the cruise terminal it will just have it listed in there with a time. It's while the ship is still docked before the emergency drill. Have your membership card handy just in case, the crew at the venue will have a list of all/most DVC members on board, on my cruise my partner and I weren't on there for some reason but showing our membership cards cleared it all up. I find the party a little silly, it's more a sales pitch for people to add points with some little games (eg. guess the movie from the song) and freebies and free cocktails to entice people to come along. I went to the DVC-only party and also accompanied some friends to the sales pitch on my last cruise, and I honestly preferred the merchandise they gave out to the non-members! The party gave out some USB drives, the normal pitch was giving out DVC-branded magnets, pins and a nice beach/snorkel satchel.

I'm not exactly sure how Castaway Club works if the cruiser has only taken member cruises in the past, but the way it works for standard cruises is on your second cruise and beyond you will have a gift (usually a bag of some sort) waiting in your stateroom. The style of the bag corresponds with whatever CC tier you are (eg gold members generally get a gold bag). I think gold and platinum members also get a photo frame with their bag. Someone else may be able to answer if member cruises count toward your CC club status, if they do then there will be a bag waiting for you on embarkation day! (It's a limit of one bag per stateroom, even if there's multiple people in a room that have cruised before it's just the one bag).

At least for some of our cruise we have gotten a call from DVC at our home inviting us to the DVC welcome party.

The DVC sales pitch has also had a drawing for someone to win a stateroom credit. I think iw was for $200, but I have never been lucky enough to win.

One of our cruises was a DVS member cruise and it did count towards Castaway Club status.

I know there is a section on the Disney Cruise website in profile where you add in your membership numbers. I put in my CC # and there was an option to input DVC as well.

The gift on our last cruise (past April) was a plastic cup with a spike that you put in the sand. It will hold your drinks. It was practical. Cheap looking, but practical. We also received a pin at the end of one of the presentations. We have the mugs from a previous trip. Love the mugs.

Honestly, we go for the chance to win on-board credit.

Fantastic info - thanks, all!! We have received silver CC status, so I know our past DVC cruises count. Just didn't know how these things worked since we've only done the Members Cruise in the past. We are very excited to experience our first "normal" Disney Cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter