• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No Longer coming to you Live from Disney World! Take 3 DDW'S TAMBU LOUNGE 8/6

Mr. DDW you are KILLING me with the Universal pics! I want to go back so badly! And you got to see Jimmy Fallon and Pitbull play beer pong, and you saw Fun perform?!? I am too jealous for words. I am desperately trying to talk Rob into a day trip there in September. Thanks for all the great updates!
I highly recommend taking the day trip to Universal! Sure, they won't have those cool events going on, but Diagon Alley will be open and it sounds fantastic. It might even be the most immersive theme park area in Orlando! Good luck convincing Rob. :goodvibes

Great reviews and pics of the food trucks!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Glad you enjoyed the food truck update! It was a fun event, and I hope some of them can return to DTD/Disney Springs. :thumbsup2

Here are some more photo highlights from my recent trip (with a focus on the food, of course):

DSC_0034_zps9dca31ea.jpg

Artist Point's smokey portobello mushroom soup and berry cobbler tasted just as good at Territory Lounge!

DSC_0039_zps3bd549eb.jpg

DSC_0046_zpsadf8aab9.jpg

DSC_0061_zps9ff71acd.jpg

With Kouzzina closing in the fall, I decided to head over one more time for breakfast. The turkey and sweet potato hash with arugula and poached eggs is an interesting and filling breakfast - I'm going to miss it!

DSC_0055_zpsd259df04.jpg

After breakfast, I went to DHS to ride some of my favorites, such as Tower of Terror.

DSC_0082_zpsc8a8cd71.jpg

Next was a visit to the Polynesian, where construction is unavoidable right now.

DSC_0098_zpsb636b440.jpg

Over by the water, the DVC bungalows are really coming along.

DSC_0139_zpse5046f01.jpg

I hope they blend in better than GF's new building, which still strikes me as flat, boxy, and ugly compared to the existing resort.

DSC_0124_zps09f1eba0.jpg

For lunch, I headed over to a different monorail resort, Contemporary, to enjoy the marinated beef flatbread at Contempo Cafe (btw, I've started eating red meat again!). This flatbread is also topped with goat cheese spread, caramelized onions, sundried tomatoes, and arugula - it's unique and extremely well-balanced.

DSC_0178_zpsd81ecebe.jpg

I actually stopped somewhere else for dessert: Liberty Tree Tavern. I had to try the popular Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake before my pass expired.

DSC_0162_zps2ee40b80.jpg

I can see why it's popular, as it tasted like a thick, moist cookie topped with vanilla ice cream and heath bar. That said, I didn't find it particularly interesting, so it's not something I'd rush back for.

DSC_0165_zps482882af.jpg

I also had to get a few more snacks using my AP, such as a return trip to L'Artisan des Glaces. This is what one of the display cases looked like shortly after opening!

DSC_0390_zpsa9b11006.jpg

This cup contained pineapple and vanilla, and oddly enough, I don't think the flavors complemented each other - the vanilla was bold enough that it actually overpowered the pineapple sorbet. That said, both flavors were delicious on their own.

DSC_0348_zps94ee9480.jpg

Kringla in Norway was also on my list, where I got another school bread and something I haven't tried before: Verdens Beste. This is a moist, flavorful rum cake with some creamy custard and a crisp almond meringue on top. It was a great combo of flavors and textures - possibly a new favorite of mine!

DSC_0371_zpsce2ec151.jpg

Of course, the last snack with my annual pass was a pineapple-vanilla swirl dole whip. This one was rather lopsided, but the flavors held up well.

DSC_0405_zpse4a4c513.jpg

One last picture of MK

DSC_0406_zps4280ef6d.jpg

Before leaving Orlando, I wanted to try the food court at All-Star Sports. It had recently been refurbished and gave me the opportunity to explore another value resort. It wasn't my thing - I far prefer the vibes at Pop Century and (especially) Art of Animation.

DSC_0423_zpsadbb4df5.jpg

My choice here was the create-your-own chicken burger, which was freshly made from ground chicken (I saw them put it on the grill) and topped with hot sauce, caramelized onions, and roasted peppers. It definitely impressed me...but for the same money, I would've preferred a tandoori dish from Landscape of Flavors.

The cucumber salad on the side was overpowered by feta, which had infused itself into all the other ingredients. I wouldn't recommend it as a side option.

DSC_0416_zpsa2dd8731.jpg

We had time for one more stop, and for some reason, we felt like visiting Grand Floridian.

DSC_0452_zps60c87668.jpg

I decided to enjoy a German Chocolate Cupcake at Gasparilla Grill - it was very good! The frosting was light (and there wasn't too much of it), and there was plenty of thick coconut-pecan filling.

DSC_0429_zps8ad25d24.jpg

While at the resort, we also asked if we could visit the new villa building. I'm still not a fan of it from the outside, but the inside looks really nice:

DSC_0431_zpsfde9ad11.jpg

The villas themselves also looked great.

DSC_0438_zps4cc72a50.jpg

Even the studio looked really nice (and the bathroom had a walk-in shower and a TV embedded in the mirror!).

DSC_0434_zps0ace9585.jpg

Ultimately...we actually bought some points at GF. It wasn't a large contract, but it'll be enough to do 4-5 nights in a studio every year or a 1-bedroom every other year. Trying out the different resorts (such as Pop and off-property) has convinced us that we really value the vibe and locations of on-site resorts (particularly those on the monorail loop or in the Epcot area), and now we've locked in some of the "magic" for years to come. The building might be ugly on the outside, but I can't wait to start enjoying the inside!

Congrats on the DVC purchase! I really want to stay at the new villas soon. I love that fountain! Looks like a beautiful resort.

The Verdens Beste sounds amazing! I think that's going on my must-do list for September. :thumbsup2

Congrats on the DVC purchase! I really want to stay at the new villas soon. I love that fountain! Looks like a beautiful resort.

The Verdens Beste sounds amazing! I think that's going on my must-do list for September. :thumbsup2
Thanks so much! We already made our first reservation using points: a split stay between a BLT studio and a GF 1-bedroom. I'm so excited...but seriously hoping I can get the vacation time for a week!

And the Verdens Beste is highly recommended. :) Even the meringue was perfect - it was firm on the outside and slightly soft on the inside.

Thanks so much! We already made our first reservation using points: a split stay between a BLT studio and a GF 1-bedroom. I'm so excited...but seriously hoping I can get the vacation time for a week!

What a dreamy plan! :cloud9: Loved our BLT studio stay! I'm sure the GFVs are wonderful!

I'll miss Kouzzina breakfast! The options are just a bit different~

My DS' all time favorite is the Marinated Beef Flatbread from the Contemporary. No matter what resort we stay at, he always has to make a trip there for one.

Love your photos and food comments/reviews as always~ :)

Wow, you covered a lot of ground on your last few days as a WDW passholder! :thumbsup2

- First, your photo of the Artist Point cobbler makes me sad that I missed out on the full-blown cobbler topped with raspberry ice cream during my dinner there in April. Next time around I will not schedule dinner at AP on the night that I am staying CL. ;)

- Although I will miss Kouzzina for breakfast, I'm anxious to see what the replacement will be. Hopefully it won't be another Starbucks. :laughing:

- Nice photo of the view from the ToT elevator. I can never take my hands off the handles for long enough to take a photo. :lmao:

- Your photo of the Polynesian is another one that makes me a little sad. It will seem very weird to walk into the lobby and not see the waterfall. :worried:

- I have never been to the Contempo Cafe but hopefully I'll finally get to check it out in October.

- Not a big fan of the Ooey, Gooey? :eek: I have to admit that the first time I tried it the cake part was stone-cold so was neither ooey nor gooey. :sad2: It took about three years, but luckily I finally gave it another try. :thumbsup2

- I love the photo from L'Artisan des Glaces!! I need to remember to go there sometime when they first open to hopefully see this in person. I assume they open at 11:00?

- OMG...that Verdens Beste looks awesome!! I haven't been there for a few years but I think it's time to pay Kringla a visit! ;)

- I haven't had a Dole Whip in nearly five years...something else I'd like to change during my next trip. I was actually interested in maybe trying the Orange Swirl Dole Whip, as I have never tried that flavor. Have you ever had the orange? I'm thinking it might be similar in taste to a Dreamsicle, which I used to love when I was little.

- And finally, the Grand Floridian villas look beautiful...on the inside. ;) Congrats on becoming a DVC owner there!

I'm so excited...but seriously hoping I can get the vacation time for a week!

How is the job search going? Or does this mean that you have found employment?

For the Food trucks at Downtown Disney, can you use Quick Service credits for some of the food or are they cash only?

What a dreamy plan! :cloud9: Loved our BLT studio stay! I'm sure the GFVs are wonderful!

I'll miss Kouzzina breakfast! The options are just a bit different~

My DS' all time favorite is the Marinated Beef Flatbread from the Contemporary. No matter what resort we stay at, he always has to make a trip there for one.

Love your photos and food comments/reviews as always~ :)
The villas at GF seriously looked great! And I'm glad to hear good things about BLT's studios. :thumbsup2

Kouzzina breakfast is definitely one of my favorites, largely thanks to the interesting savory options - I'm gonna miss it as well.

And I agree with your DS, that beef flatbread is so good! It had been around a year and a half since I last had red meat in WDW, and this was seriously the beef dish I was most excited to have again. :laughing: Glad you've enjoyed the updates!

Wow, you covered a lot of ground on your last few days as a WDW passholder! :thumbsup2

- First, your photo of the Artist Point cobbler makes me sad that I missed out on the full-blown cobbler topped with raspberry ice cream during my dinner there in April. Next time around I will not schedule dinner at AP on the night that I am staying CL. ;)

Sounds like a plan - the cobbler still absolutely worth it!

- Although I will miss Kouzzina for breakfast, I'm anxious to see what the replacement will be. Hopefully it won't be another Starbucks. :laughing:

Don't worry, I'm sure you're safe from another Starbucks. ;) I'd expect another 'moderately priced, 1-credit' restaurant ending up in that location, possibly still with a Mediterranean/Italian/Greek influence (much like Spoodles before). Although, a brand new concept could also be interesting.

- Nice photo of the view from the ToT elevator. I can never take my hands off the handles for long enough to take a photo. :lmao:

The ride is definitely more thrilling when I'm paying attention to my camera instead of the drop cycle...but that picture was worth it!

- Your photo of the Polynesian is another one that makes me a little sad. It will seem very weird to walk into the lobby and not see the waterfall. :worried:

Honestly, the lobby right now is depressing, and those character cutouts don't do much to help. I never felt that the waterfall needed to stay (since it reminded me of mid-century shopping malls), but the concept art for the new lobby looks rather bland and uninspired. :sad2: I hope I'm wrong, but it seems many Poly fans feel the same way.

- I have never been to the Contempo Cafe but hopefully I'll finally get to check it out in October.

Definitely give Contempo a try! It's been one of my WDW favorites since it opened, with some really decent sandwiches, salads, and flatbreads. Plus, the location is super convenient for a break from MK.

- Not a big fan of the Ooey, Gooey? :eek: I have to admit that the first time I tried it the cake part was stone-cold so was neither ooey nor gooey. :sad2: It took about three years, but luckily I finally gave it another try. :thumbsup2

Admittedly, my cake wasn't piping hot (although it was warm enough), but the flavors themselves were somewhat standard. It tasted exactly like cookies, heath bar, and vanilla ice cream - not bad at all, it just didn't exceed any expectations. :confused3

- I love the photo from L'Artisan des Glaces!! I need to remember to go there sometime when they first open to hopefully see this in person. I assume they open at 11:00?

Actually, L'Artisan des Glaces opened at 12! I would know, since I arrived in France around 11:30 and was disappointed that they weren't open yet. :rotfl:

- OMG...that Verdens Beste looks awesome!! I haven't been there for a few years but I think it's time to pay Kringla a visit! ;)

Kringla is definitely worth a stop - I haven't been impressed with I've tried there, but it's home to a few of my favorites (with the Verdens Beste being one of them now).

- I haven't had a Dole Whip in nearly five years...something else I'd like to change during my next trip. I was actually interested in maybe trying the Orange Swirl Dole Whip, as I have never tried that flavor. Have you ever had the orange? I'm thinking it might be similar in taste to a Dreamsicle, which I used to love when I was little.

Honestly, I hated the orange dole whip - it tasted extremely artificial to me, more like medicine than a dessert. That said, the pineapple also tastes artificial to me on its own (albeit way better than the orange), but I still seriously enjoy it swirled with vanilla. So maybe orange-vanilla swirl is worth a try?

- And finally, the Grand Floridian villas look beautiful...on the inside. ;) Congrats on becoming a DVC owner there!

Thanks so much! The best part of staying in the villa building is that we won't have to look at it when we're in the lobby or our room. ::yes:: DVC has been something we've been considering for a long time now, and now that it's happened, it definitely feels right. The only downside is the advance planning necessary (at least 7-11 months), but I think I can adapt to that once I have a work schedule. Speaking of which...

How is the job search going? Or does this mean that you have found employment?
Nope, I'm still looking. :laughing: My problem is that I've been too indecisive to focus on one path - I keep changing what (and where) I'm looking for. Moving to California or Orlando would be nice, but there are so many complications and expenses that go along with moving. So even if I stay in NY for a while, at least it's easy to visit Orlando from here. :goodvibes And if getting time off becomes a problem, then I'll have to start planning weekend getaways. ;)

For the Food trucks at Downtown Disney, can you use Quick Service credits for some of the food or are they cash only?
The Disney food trucks (Fantasy Fare, World Showcase of Flavors, Superstar Catering, and Namaste Cafe) all accept quick service credits, although I don't know if they have desserts available. The other visiting trucks don't accept the DDP, but they aren't usually around anyway.

Here's a non-Disney update that I thought would be fun to share. Yesterday morning, I took a train into NYC so I could try the original cronut ("croissant donut"), a pastry that's gone viral and has sparked thousands of knockoffs worldwide.

The cronut can be found at Dominique Ansel Bakery, where it was launched in May 2013 and is still drawing crowds to this day. Seriously - if you want one of those things without preordering, you have to get there first thing in the morning and wait. And preordering is so difficult that most people don't bother with it - it's worse than the Disney ADR rush. :laughing:

IMG_5828_zpsbca0fe21.jpg

After taking a 5:15 train to Manhattan and transferring to the subway, I made it to the bakery by 6:15. There were already 13-15 people ahead of me (and the bakery only opens at 8 on weekdays!).

IMG_5832_zps1654d6a9.jpg

By 7 (an hour before opening), the line extended around the block.

IMG_5835_zps89d3af70.jpg

At 8, they let the first 'wave' of guests into the store (only about 20-25 people can go in at once). From there, it still took another 20 minutes before I received my order. While waiting, I took some pictures of the tempting display case.

IMG_5843_zpsa92748a6.jpg

DSC_0484_zps26831e0a.jpg

Cronuts in progress!

DSC_0512_zps595a41b5.jpg

After all that waiting, I wasn't leaving with just one cronut, so I got two. ;) I also decided to try a frozen s'more, which contained Tahitian vanilla ice cream and was surrounded by a freshly torched marshmallow. The marshmallow was really tasty, but at $7 I wouldn't get it again.

DSC_0487_zps7cd52d18.jpg

Finally, the real reason I came here - cronuts! The flavor changes monthly - it's currently Strawberry Balsamic and Mascarpone with Basil Sugar.

DSC_0497_zps544be402.jpg

This pastry, while greasy and perhaps too sweet, was really good. The strawberry filling and creamy mascarpone oozed out of the cronut, and the basil sugar added a perfect contrast with its licorice-like flavor. My only criticism is I would've liked more of the balsamic flavor to come through.

DSC_0508_zps2b91112f.jpg

So what does this have to do with Disney? Well, if you find yourself in Epcot and are interested in trying a cronut (or "croissant doughnut"), you can find them at Refreshment Port between Future World and World Showcase. It only comes in one flavor (cinnamon sugar), but it's definitely tasty. Even better, you'll save yourself a 2-hour (or longer) wait compared to trying the official one. ;) The cronut isn't for everyone, and I could imagine finding it overly sweet or greasy depending on my mood. Still, the Epcot one holds up fairly well - I seriously enjoyed it in January!

IMG_6036_zps6985cd87.jpg

And now...here's a live update I've been looking forward to sharing for a few weeks! I arrived in Europe today, after planning a trip to Brussels, Amsterdam, and Paris (where my trip would conclude with a visit to DLP). However, thanks to a major strike in Belgium that basically shut down international rail transit to and from the nation...Brussels and Amsterdam aren't happening. That means I'm basically 'stuck' in Paris right now, so I did something today that would surely make me feel better (right?): I hopped on a train to Disneyland.

So, did DLP deliver some (much-needed) magic? Or did it disappoint?

DSC_0038_zps287c9365.jpg

My DLP day began around 12:30pm, and it was immediately clear how beautiful and detailed Disneyland Park is.

DSC_0081_zps982b8e21.jpg

Many of the rides are also impressive and offer unique twists on the DL/WDW classics, such as Big Thunder Mountain (situated on an island that the train accesses from the 'mainland') and Phantom Manor (which is basically Haunted Mansion with a story and a Frontierland twist).

This picture is actually taken from the Phantom Manor porch:

DSC_0060_zps550e381f.jpg

Adventureland also looks really cool (although I hated the Pirates queue - it was so wide that line cutters couldn't help themselves, and the crowds packed into every inch of queue space).

DSC_0072_zps50c44bf5.jpg

Space Mountain was closed for refurbishment, but it should be open when I next visit the park. I can't wait to ride it, as the launch element and inversions make this SM extremely unique!

DSC_0106_zps248e3136.jpg

As beautiful as some parts of the park are, it seems like other areas were basically afterthoughts, including this transition between Fantasyland and Discoveryland.

DSC_0101_zpsb8e0881d.jpg

Also, I hate to say it, but guest behavior seriously bothered me here. If you aren't a fan of secondhand smoke, stay out of DLP - it's everywhere (including the lines). Obviously that's a French/European thing, but I guess I expect it more in urban areas than in a Disney theme park. To make matters worse, it's basically impossible to avoid.

Even worse, I actually saw a girl defecating on the ground in Frontierland - her parents were watching and didn't seem phased at all. In what culture is that acceptable?

One more thing - the official languages in DLP are French and English, but I don't know how many cast members can actually speak English fluently. Even at the ticket counter (where bilingualism should be crucial), the CM couldn't understand when I asked "can I add days to my ticket?" (the answer is no, btw). I know some common French words and phrases, and I try to use them when applicable, but I still felt somewhat disadvantaged in DLP by not being a fluent French speaker.

Things basically got worse when I headed over to Walt Disney Studios Paris, the second park in DLP.

DSC_0113_zpsd7c03e78.jpg

If you think any of the WDW parks (or pre-refurb DCA) are weak, you need to see this place. It's terrible! It combines some of the worst attributes of DHS (unthemed backlots; not having enough attractions), Universal (bland architecture; large warehouses that serve as attraction show buildings), and pre-refurb DCA (the cheap, tacky vibe).

Just look at this, for example - WDS has its own Brown Derby!

DSC_0116_zpsb4896ce0.jpg

It's a food court.

DSC_0118_zps221bfafe.jpg

The park is ugly and has no atmosphere worth sticking around for, and the attempts to fix it (by slapping in random attractions and mini-lands) have only created a bigger mess.

DSC_0127_zps9def5413.jpg

Maybe the new Ratatouille ride and restaurant will help? I'll let you know in about 10 days, when it opens.

DSC_0125_zps49c19857.jpg

After spending about 15 minutes in WDS before getting tired of it, I headed over to Disney Village. This place is a smaller, uglier version of DTD with minimal variety (most of the shops seemed to be Disney ones).

DSC_0131_zps0dc97fcf.jpg

My favorite part of Disney Village is probably Earl of Sandwich - it even offers free wi-fi.

DSC_0134_zps7457dea3.jpg

I ordered a combo meal for 18 euros and 50 cents, which included a sandwich, chips, brownie, water (or soda), and a ticket for the balloon ride, PanoraMagique (an adult ticket would've cost 12 euros anyway).

DSC_0138_zpsd9241e24.jpg

The caprese sandwich was tasty as usual, and even the brownie tasted fresh.

DSC_0139_zps667bd597.jpg

The balloon ride was a great way to see the entire resort, since it's relatively compact.

DSC_0146_zps2e7d38d2.jpg

Walt Disney Studios

DSC_0142_zpse0d4cc56.jpg

Disneyland

DSC_0147_zps1047d3f2.jpg

A cheap knockoff of Yacht and Beach Club (it was actually designed by the same architect):

DSC_0152_zps410d2e84.jpg

A cheap knockoff of Wilderness Lodge (not really, as this hotel opened first, but that's what it looks like):

DSC_0149_zpsf7fd088c.jpg

A hotel inspired by New York (the architect behind this resort also designed Swan and Dolphin):

DSC_0151_zps45da19c1.jpg

While Disneyland Park has several beautiful elements to it, I feel like the park would be stronger if the Walt Disney Company were actually operating it. (Also, I think Euro Disney should have been built in Spain for a variety of reasons, as was once proposed, but that's another issue.) As for the rest of the resort (including the second park, most of the hotels, and Disney Village), I feel like it's an ugly, tacky mess. It's as if all the money went on Disneyland Park and the accompanying hotel, and everything else was scrapped together. Considering all those factors, I felt extremely underwhelmed by my first visit to DLP, and I was actually looking forward to leaving when I boarded an early train back to Paris (at 4:15pm).

DLP might be worth checking off your Disney bucket list one day, but otherwise, I think a repeat visit to WDW or Disneyland (or even a trip to Universal for Diagon Alley) would be far more worthwhile. The overall experience is way stronger (and provides a significantly better bang for your buck).

Bonus pics - Paris was in a celebratory mood tonight after France's World Cup win against Nigeria. Cars were honking up and down the Champs-Élysées for hours - I wonder what'll happen if they win their next game!

IMG_6168_zps33306b43.jpg

IMG_6179_zps0b26bd9d.jpg

IMG_6175_zpsc2028b29.jpg

Even worse, I actually saw a girl defecating on the ground in Frontierland - her parents were watching and didn't seem phased at all. In what culture is that acceptable?

Ohmygod! I just...have no words. So sorry that the trip was, well, less than great. :(

Hi all!

Sorry Donald Dole Whip that you didn't enjoy your time at Disneyland Paris. Definitely made me not want to visit there and go to Tokyo Disney instead!

Add another person to the list who will be seeing a new Disney park in 2 days: ME!

Yes, Corey and I are heading off to California Wednesday morning. We are soo excited! We both have never been to California and I can't WAIT to see Disneyland!

Our plans are to get to Disneyland Thursday afternoon and then we have a red eye back Sunday night. We have reservations for Carthay lunch, Cafe Orleans lunch, and Goofy's breakfast. Any thoughts on those?

Still trying to pick another restaurant, possibly Big Thunder. Any other suggestions?

Hopefully I can post some live updates. I don't think I can post everything but I can definitely get a few pictures up.

Donald, thanks for your interesting report on your day at DLP. DLP is the only Disney resort I haven't visited. It is on my bucket list. Perhaps by the time I get there, it will have been improved.
Have you been to Tokyo DisneySea? That one is spectacular. It is not operated by Disney itself, but it has a true magic all its own.

Ohmygod! I just...have no words. So sorry that the trip was, well, less than great. :(
Yeah, that was just...I feel the same way (no words!). It's ok - I'm still happy to have seen DLP with my own eyes, and I have a few more days at the end of the trip to see if things get better (with Space Mountain and Ratatouille open). But I still can't believe how lacking the entire resort is overall - nothing I'd read online could've prepared me for that, and I'd done a good amount of research.

Hi all!

Sorry Donald Dole Whip that you didn't enjoy your time at Disneyland Paris. Definitely made me not want to visit there and go to Tokyo Disney instead!

Add another person to the list who will be seeing a new Disney park in 2 days: ME!

Yes, Corey and I are heading off to California Wednesday morning. We are soo excited! We both have never been to California and I can't WAIT to see Disneyland!

Our plans are to get to Disneyland Thursday afternoon and then we have a red eye back Sunday night. We have reservations for Carthay lunch, Cafe Orleans lunch, and Goofy's breakfast. Any thoughts on those?

Still trying to pick another restaurant, possibly Big Thunder. Any other suggestions?

Hopefully I can post some live updates. I don't think I can post everything but I can definitely get a few pictures up.
Congrats on visiting Disneyland! While the resort might not be as immersive as WDW, I think the parks are fantastic and you're going to love it. :goodvibes And you're so right about Tokyo - as a Disney destination, I've heard it could actually be the strongest (setting aside Disneyland's history and WDW's scale).

As for dining suggestions, Napa Rose could be fun for drinks and/or appetizers (you could do that in the lounge without reservations). Trader Sam's is also a must (especially if you can get a seat inside), and go to Cove Bar and ask for a table by the water! I'm not sure I'd recommend any of the other TS restaurants - people love Blue Bayou for the atmosphere, but the food didn't impress me. Some of my favorite parts of DL dining were actually quick service, such as Bengal Barbecue's protein skewers. :thumbsup2 A visit to Flo's in Cars Land would also be fun, but you don't have to eat a meal there to explore.

That probably doesn't help at all, but definitely get a snack at Bengal Barbecue and visit Trader Sam's!

Donald, thanks for your interesting report on your day at DLP. DLP is the only Disney resort I haven't visited. It is on my bucket list. Perhaps by the time I get there, it will have been improved.
Have you been to Tokyo DisneySea? That one is spectacular. It is not operated by Disney itself, but it has a true magic all its own.
I'm not really sure what to say about DLP. It'll take a lot of money to fix the resort's problems, and I think that's something Euro Disney can't (or isn't willing to) provide. :sad2: If you've visited every other Disney resort (how cool!), it would probably be fun to cross Paris off the list. Just be prepared for something that isn't really up to par - it seems like everything's been downhill since the original park (and maybe Space Mountain in 1995) opened.

Nope, I've never been to Tokyo Disney but have read so much about it - it sounds incredible. While TDL isn't operated by Disney, apparently that actually benefits the resort, since Oriental Land Company is willing to spend money to build and maintain its parks. :thumbsup2 Plus, considering what I know about Japanese culture, I can't imagine typical guests and CM's acting similarly to what I noticed at DLP. Even if the language barrier is larger there, I'm sure the experience is still far superior to Paris.

Thanks for the DLP review Mr. DDW :goodvibes
I've visited DLP many times over the years so feel I should stick up for it a little :thumbsup2
Firstly the incident you witnessed with the young girl is not acceptable in any culture!
What you witnessed was appalling behavior and appalling behavior can, and does happen anywhere in the world
Totally agree with you about the Studios, visually it doesn't work at all but it does have a few good rides - did you ride Crush's Coaster or visit Toy Story Play Land?
There are some interesting shows at the Studios as well, did you see Cinemagique or Animagique?
The new Ratatouille dark ride and restaurant will be a welcome addition to the park for sure
I'm glad you enjoyed Disneyland Park. It's is beautiful park and wonderfully landscaped
What a shame that Space Mountain was closed when you were there, such an awesome ride and the launch is a real thrill :goodvibes
Did you manage to see the evening castle show 'Disney Dreams'? - such a great show!
Hope you are having fun in Paris, be sure to post some of your wonderful food pics :thumbsup2

Great to see some DLP information here, but how disappointing! I can't imagine ever wanting to leave a Disney park, but after that day I see why you'd want to, Mr DDW.

Not sure if anyone else watched the Diagon Alley special on tv last night, but I think I saw Mr. DDW for half a second!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

We went to DLP back in Sept 08. There were a lot of things we liked but overall it felt dirty compared to our US parks and Tokyo Disney. Paint peeling, cigarette smoke, rides not working. Was it worth the visit , of course :) I think their castle is the best one I have seen and love the dragon underneath. We did one day and visited both parks and that was more then enough.

Thanks for the DLP review Mr. DDW :goodvibes
I've visited DLP many times over the years so feel I should stick up for it a little :thumbsup2
Firstly the incident you witnessed with the young girl is not acceptable in any culture!
What you witnessed was appalling behavior and appalling behavior can, and does happen anywhere in the world
Totally agree with you about the Studios, visually it doesn't work at all but it does have a few good rides - did you ride Crush's Coaster or visit Toy Story Play Land?
There are some interesting shows at the Studios as well, did you see Cinemagique or Animagique?
The new Ratatouille dark ride and restaurant will be a welcome addition to the park for sure
I'm glad you enjoyed Disneyland Park. It's is beautiful park and wonderfully landscaped
What a shame that Space Mountain was closed when you were there, such an awesome ride and the launch is a real thrill :goodvibes
Did you manage to see the evening castle show 'Disney Dreams'? - such a great show!
Hope you are having fun in Paris, be sure to post some of your wonderful food pics :thumbsup2
Hi Linda, and thanks for the reply and dissenting opinion. ;) Seriously, since I've got a few more days at DLP coming up at the end of my trip (thanks to a multi-day ticket purchased in advance), it'll be helpful to reconsider the parks from a positive perspective and see the good things about them (especially since this will likely be my last visit to the Paris parks for a very long time).

I'd be happy if that incident wasn't indicative of any particular culture. That said, apparently public urination has been a recurring problem in HKDL, which is why I can't speak for what's acceptable in certain cultures and what isn't. :confused: Either way, that incident wasn't my biggest problem - it was the smoking. Even in major cities such as Paris, it's easy enough to 'dodge' a smoker and hold your breath until you've passed them. In DLP, when you're in tightly crowded areas with these people (and even waiting in line with them), there's truly no escaping it. :sad2:

Since I was only in the studios for 15 minutes before getting sick of it, I didn't actually do anything there. :laughing: CinéMagique and Animagique are definitely on my list, as is Crush's Coaster. I'm not so sure about Toy Story Playland - it all looks cheap and basic to me. Ratatouille is a must, and I actually made a lunch reservation for the adjacent restaurant (so I'll be having at least one meal at DLP). :thumbsup2 Space Mountain and Disney Dreams are also high on my list - I'm so excited for SM. :) If there's one thing I can say about DLP, it's this - they clearly went all-out to give Disneyland Park some impressive versions of the classic headliners, including Space, Big Thunder, Pirates, and Manor (Mansion).

Overall, from what I've read about DLP, it sounds like the park's biggest problems stem from overspending when the resort was first built, which resulted in major debt and operating losses. Still, I was surprised at how ugly everything is outside of Disneyland Park (and the adjacent hotel). If overspending was the resort's first mistake, it seems like all the money went on one area. I've usually enjoyed Disney destinations for the escapism and beauty they create with the space that's allotted to them, and DLRP fails to deliver that on multiple levels. Based on financial issues at Euro Disney, I don't think that'll change anytime soon (if at all). :worried:

Great to see some DLP information here, but how disappointing! I can't imagine ever wanting to leave a Disney park, but after that day I see why you'd want to, Mr DDW.

Not sure if anyone else watched the Diagon Alley special on tv last night, but I think I saw Mr. DDW for half a second!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Yeah, it feels weird saying that about DLP - it's the first Disney destination that I actually looked forward to leaving (as well as the first that I'm not so enthused about returning to). :confused3 We'll see how attempt #2 goes in about a week.

And there's a very decent chance that was me, since I was definitely there when they did some red carpet filming by the London Waterfront. I hope you're the only person who actually recognized me - it was bad enough when I noticed myself making (unintentionally) stupid faces on the Tonight Show. :rotfl:

We went to DLP back in Sept 08. There were a lot of things we liked but overall it felt dirty compared to our US parks and Tokyo Disney. Paint peeling, cigarette smoke, rides not working. Was it worth the visit , of course :) I think their castle is the best one I have seen and love the dragon underneath. We did one day and visited both parks and that was more then enough.

Well I see from your signature that you got a picture in front of Sleeping Beauty Castle (which you're right about - it's seriously beautiful!), and that's good enough - no need to return. :laughing: I can absolutely understand your feelings about DLP, and I'm kind of sad that I'm locked myself into a few more days there. Would much rather be checking out Amsterdam (after my planned visit got cut due to a railway strike), but it's too late now. :worried:

Even worse, I actually saw a girl defecating on the ground in Frontierland - her parents were watching and didn't seem phased at all. In what culture is that acceptable?[/IMG]

I witnessed a man defecating next to a bush on a sidewalk in Nice, France when I was traveling with my teenage students in 2013. There were people walking by him, and no one seemed disturbed by it. We found it quite shocking.

Unfortunately, when people ask the kids about their time in France, this is one if the first stories they tell. France definitely made some kind of an impression on them. :goodvibes

Thanks for the in-depth review and pictures of DLP. I've enjoyed it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter