No Buy January

Siouxstone

DIS Veteran
The Game Plan: Everyone sets their own lists of essentials and exemptions. Think carefully over the month and try to plan ahead. For example, if you know you have a birthday coming up and need to buy a present, or if your Disney trip is coming up, list the trip period as an exemption. Everyone sets their own rules.

The Goal: To become aware of everyday spending habits and save a little money. Or, as I think of it, to end the $100 detergent habit. What's $100 detergent? It's when you run in Target or Wal-mart for laundry detergent and end up spending $100. Now, you may use everything you bought and it may fit into your budget structure, but if you are in a saving mode, did you really need it at that time? Or is it a money leak?

Posting: Try to post your progress every Monday. I found that the more often I posted, the more it kept me honest and the more I thought about it while I was in dangerous situations. If you need/want to post more often, that's up to you. We love lots of posts!

Take the next couple of days to get your lists together! In the mean time, if you haven't checked us out before, try reading through the No Buy December thread. We'd love to have you along as a participant or even just for support.

Good Luck Everybody!

Alright everyone! It's here! I hope we have lots of familiar posters and lots of soon to be familiar posters! I'm really excited to be kicking off a New Year with the No Buy lifestyle. My resolution this year is to keep it up through all of 2008! I probably won't have my budget up until Monday or Tuesday.

Thanks for getting this up already! I've been just waiting to make it through Dec since this has been a really hard month on the budget with moving costing much more than I had planned on.

I have several things on my Jan *Buy* list...ok a million things as I find more and more problems with this house but the main thing is:
stain for the replacement kitchen cabinet
replacement counter top (not sure if this can be saved or not)
paying a handyman to knock out old cabinet and dispose/install new cabinet
paying handyman to install dishwasher ~ DH knows someone who will help us out and do it for cheap.

I've only got $100 in my house repair/replace budget so I'm hoping that all can be done for that amount.

So that's it for my exceptions to the No Buy portion of the month.

Groceries are going to be re-vamped into just fresh stuff and the basics until we clear out the freezers and pantry. I like having a food stockpile but right now I know there are at least 2 or 3 boxes of granola bars that expired (DH will still eat them though! LOL) and I'm sure a few other things that are heading close to their dates.

Livvie's dr portion of the ER bill will be paid off , and $170 of the actual ER bill will be paid down ($496 in total), and my target card that had to be run up during the move will get another $155 payment(just paid $250 to that..max'd out at 1k :eek: ).

Funding goals will be:
$60 car repair/maintenance
$150 car insurance ($25 sent to ING already)
$30 auto registration/tax
$27 renters insurance (sent to ING already)
$50 car replacement
$40 medical (saving for various items..see 2008 financial goals post)

Other items are autodrafted:
$120 E-fund
$54 ROTH
$60 kids allowances
$40 dance class
$20 Vonage

I already paid the water/sewer bill for Jan, the utilities will be around $350 and the leftover funds will all be allotted to groceries, household, gas for the van and I think that's it.

So my goal is to make out a grocery list for each week and even if I have to go to the store multiple times (since I can't keep 7gals of milk in the fridge!) to stick firmly to my list.

We have $500 allotted for groceries, household and eating out for the month. I upped our grocery budget from $125/bi-wk to $200/bi-wk. Any money leftover will go into my vacation fund. But I'm trying to switch out to mostly natural foods to see if it helps my younger DD calm down so I think it will cost me more in the beginning until I get a groove down.

If I spend everything budgeted w/o going over I should have $25 at the end of the month to add to my savings goals.

My biggest hurdle will be avoiding all the after Christmas sales and deals that tend to start up in late Jan. This year I'm only going to shop for gifts as the time comes along or as the PERFECT gift presents itself(and I have the funds budgeted already!). I'm normally set for Christmas by March and then still shop the rest of the year away! That's not going to work financially or space wise anymore so it will be back to the basics of shopping.

Hi Everyone, I'm sort of new here, but I love this idea! So here goes.

First and foremost: DO A BUDGET!! I have been okay with paying all bills, but not good about budgeting anything. If I don't have cash on hand I don't buy it, but I definately have the $100 detergent problem!!!!!! So goal for this week:

Clean out the pantry
start a weekly/monthly meal planner
Start an actual written budget (SCARES ME!!!)

ps can anyone tell me how to flip the thread around so the first post is on top and I scroll down to find newer posts? I did something funky and I don't remember what I did, and now the last post is first and the first is last and my slightly dyslexic brain isn't handling it very well. thanks

Sign me up for No Buy January!!

What's going to be hard for me is that we're going to closing on a new house Jan. 17th and I know it's going to be tough not buying stuff.

There are some things that we're going to have to buy. Several things that will need to be exemptions/neccesities like a wet/dry vac and concrete paint among others that I can't think of right now.

I'm going to get working on my budget. . . on paper on purpose. I think that's the key. It's going to be ok that I buy my exceptions as long as I'm budgeted for them. What'll be bad is if I'm throwing other things into the cart.

tinker_me_happy, I think you can fix your dilema by going to the top of the thread and doing something in the display modes. It's right above the #1 of the first post.

I have been reading these no bu threads for months. I think I'd like to give it a try. January is a great month to start - to get the year off in the right direction!

I'm going to start working on my list and will post by New Year's Eve.

I've already started to cut back on expenses and have practiced really focusing on needs vs. wants.

I'm excited. Thanks for starting this thread!

:cheer2:

i'm just in here to observe and figure out how you guys work... hopefully i'll join in sooner or later!

I have the $100 dollar detergent problem. I also have the problem of stopping for a soda or coffee. Those are the areas I need to improve 100%.

January exceptions are I need to renew my virus protection for the computer.

The dog is going for her haircut, she gets one every 10 weeks. I tried to do it myself but...:scared1:

I need my prescriptions filled.

I think that is all for now.

I joined the No-buy threads late in the year! I don't think there was a single month when I didn't have at least one unplanned expense, but thankfully they were manageable.

The No-buy approach made me give a lot more thought to the purchases I did have to make. This is probably the first year-end in my adult life that I didn't feel broke and extremely guilty about overspending for Christmas.

I am definitely looking forward to continuing my no-buy adventures in 2008! And if I can't do no-buy, I will try hard for low-buy, spending less than I would normally.

Hope you all have a happy, healthy, prosperous 2008!

I'd like to join. I'll admit that I have not been following the threads from the previous months, so it may take a bit for me to get the hang of it.

I'm trying to use up some of my stockpiled items, so I'm hoping my expenses will be down. Anyway, things I know I'll spend money on in January........

I think I will be buying Valentine's Day goodies for my dds' classes from Oriental Trading. With over 40 kids to buy for, this will work out best. I am also going to try to take my girls to WDW for a quick overnight trip -- next weekend. That'll mean a hotel room, but the rest can go on gift cards. Then, I have the WDW Marathon Weekend the following weekend. Right now though those are the only exceptions I can think of. Oh, I will also be signing up for the Minnie Marathon Weekend sometime this month, too.

With all the races, you'd think I'd be in better shape. :lmao: One thing is that since I started training I haven't had a lot of time to spend in the stores, so that's a good thing, right?

Can I join this time? Normally this time of year I take advantage of the clearance sales to get my kids clothes for next year, buy gifts ahead of time, and extra Christmas stuff, but this year I don't want to do that. Right now I need to get as much money into savings as I can for when Dh gets out of the Army this summer so if he can't find a job we can still pay for the bare minimum.

What I need to buy in January aside from my bills are:
paying to get out of Verizon contract which will save me about $600 this year
an oil change
haircuts for me and one son
TurboTax (hopefully I can get a good deal with a rebate)

The only other expense I foresee is the Pinewood Derby for boy scouts. My boys will be participating and already have their kits, but the siblings usually want to do it also and I haven't bought them kits yet. I'd like to not get them any this year, but if they're upset about it I will, it's still a good craft for them to work on.

I have already worked the Verizon contract $, oil change, and haircuts into my budget and have put money into savings. Any money left over when we get paid on the 15th will go straight to savings. I'd like to have alot leftover.

ETA: I am absolutely not buying any toiletries, especially B&BW (my vice). I have plenty, definitely enough for the next 6 months!

"paying to get out of Verizon contract which will save me about $600 this year"

Are you switching to a prepaid phone or dropping service?
I am trying to explore my options because I think that I am paying waaaaay too much for a cell phone every month.

"paying to get out of Verizon contract which will save me about $600 this year"

Are you switching to a prepaid phone or dropping service?
I am trying to explore my options because I think that I am paying waaaaay too much for a cell phone every month.

I am switching to tracfone. I use maybe 5 minutes a month on avg., but I want a phone for emergencies and so my kids can reach me when they're places without me. So I bought me and DD each a tracfone and I'm really liking them.

ETA: It is going to cost $175 to get out for one phone and $165 for the second phone, in case you're wondering. But by Oct. when the contracts are supposed to be up I would have paid $800 in cell phone bills if I didn't cancel it.

I am new to the boards and came across this thread while looking for information on my past WDW trip.

I would like to join this challenge.

Right now, I have bugeted outside of fixed expense $250 ~ $100 groceries, $100 gas (both cars) and $50 misc. I have started to compare prices between Target and our grocery store and found that the grocery store isn't always the best place.

My goal each month is to save the $50 misc each week and any money left over into savings.

Here is to a goal getting January.

Krystine

Hello everyone!

I am on adoption leave now, so if I can just stay out of the stores I'm good!!

Groceries - $160 (1 adult, 1 baby)
Eating out - $40 ($10 a week)
Cleaners - $40 (time to restock)
Utilities - $168 (student loan, $53, power $0 yay!, water $25, cable/internet $51, life insurance 8, cell phone $31)
Cats - $20
Baby loot - $40
Gas - 0 (I have gift cards for Shell from CC)
Oil Change for car - $25
HBA - $40
Target wipes deal - $50 (a bunch of these are going to be a gift too)
Misc - $174
property taxes - $665
China airfare - $1278 (CC due - ick)
-------------------------------- $2700

My power bill is zero this month because I am on budget billing and I had a $150 credit on my account! It will be really cheap (if not zero) next month too :goodvibes My misc category is for the baby's birthday party, I am not sure how much that will cost yet.

Good luck everyone!

Wow! Look at all the new joiners! This is awesome!

I'm in. I left work early b/c I didn't feel well, and now I am dealing with a grumpy toddler. Wish I would have stayed at work.

I'll try to post my budget tomorrow... I think I am going to work on it tonight.

Haven't worked on the budget yet (I told you it scares me to list it all!) but I did up my weekly contribution to my ING savings, and bump up a couple of other payments on my auto pay plan through my checking account. Did figure out exactly how long to pay off large credit card (less than 24 months, but rounding up), 5 years to pay off second mortgage and DVC membership (max, but maybe less if I put some OT money towards those). Should have more than enough in the savings to pay cash equivilent for BIG family trip in August!! (Going to use Disney Rewards Visa to keep track of all expenses then pay it off in one lump sum.) I am so glad to all the people joining in!

I've been sort-of following these threads but I think I'm ready to jump in for January. I need to start saving $$$ and stop spending money frivolously so I can put more money away for my wedding and buying a new house!

My new years resolution is to become more domestic so this fits right in (at least it does in my opinon... :rotfl: )...

My goal for the week is:
Buy a weekly meal planning journal
Organize my monthly budget

My goal for the month is:
Cancel my gym membership at the gym I never go to (my employer pays for my membership at a different gym... I just never cancelled the old one :headache: )
Buy myself out of my AT&T contract so I'm not paying for a phone I don't need (again, my employer pays for a cell phone, I just pay if I go over my allotted minutes, which will be cheaper than having another phone for just personal use)
Stop drinking so much Starbucks coffee
Stop eating out 4-5 times a week
Pack lunches for work

Welcome to all those just jumping in! Its great to have you here. Feel free to post, we won't bite, mock or flame. We are here to support and help each other.

I know I don't do the "no buy" as well as I should but it sure is helping me to evaluate everything I buy. Do I need it or just want it. If I really only want it and don't need it - can I afford it? Its definitely made me consider my spending habits and see where my money is going. I found that I was spending loads on eating out so have a) increased my eating out budget and b) cut back on eating out

I have a one more expense for tomorrow - lunch with my family (we will get takeaways from the mall $7) and go to my brothers place to eat them.

So here goes for this January -

10th Jan - Pay my Visa off in full (which I do every month)
15th Jan - Pay DVC dues (on my Visa) - most of this will be covered by payments junk we have sold online over the last few months - we put all this money into a "holiday fund" and it gets used to pay dues and go towards other things like park tickets etc.
16th Jan - $350 my share of the household expenses
30th Jan - $350 my share of the household expenses

Other expenses - shore excursions for our Hawaii trip in March, I've booked and paid for two excursions (on my Visa as noted above) and want to book 3 more - approximately $100 depending on the exchange rate on the day.

Extra income - I will have a term investment mature on the 20th Jan which I will earn about $250 interest on. I would have liked to add a bit of money to this investment but due to having to pay for 2008 flights to Hawaii and for the repo cruise earlier this month I don't have any additional funds to put into it. It will have to wait. (I consider my savings as a high priority and I like to have at least 3-6 months wages saved just in case). I'm also out of town for 5 days with work so my daily allowance usually allows me to come home with a bit of extra pocket money. I will get paid overtime for some of this out of town work too but will probably take time rather than money for my Hawaii trip to save some of my annual leave days.

As an aside, we've found that putting a portion of our wages into a "bills" account seems to work pretty well for us for paying household expenses - its much easier to manage than trying to keep track of who pays which bills and making it fairly even. When Robert gets back from his trip, I'm going to see if we can increase the amount we put into this account.

We have some fairly major things we want/need to do to the home this year - add a small conservatory, replace the front wall, replace the roof and re-carpet - I'm going to think of this an investment into our home rather than an expense though ;) I don't think we can do it all this year but we can make a start. The front wall needs replacing badly and is bringing the cost of our property down considerably. We live in a nice neighbourhood in a good street and our front wall is crumbling, leaning and falling apart. Silly thing is, it wouldn't probably cost a heck of a lot to replace it with a nice fence.

Robert is also on a 1 year contract filling in for someone on parental leave for the year so we need to be sure we have some "fat" just in case they don't renew it.

We are looking at buying some land in the not so distance future so will be getting a mortgage (again) so learning to live on less now will be a good start.

I'm going to allow myself $100 per week for "play money" which will be for all my personal expenses and the odd work lunch, I hoping that will be heaps and aim to spend half this. I vow not to buy any new clothing until we go to Hawaii.

I do have a dentist appointment on the 8th but insurance should cover that (it is follow up treatment from an accident).

I still have a $50 gift voucher for a local mall (any store in the mall) and failing finding anything I need, a new pillow currently is the top of my list as my one has had it.

I'm hoping January and February will be low cost as my holiday in March could make a dent into my Visa - I consider holidays an exception to most rules :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter