• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No Birth certificate, What do we do now??!!??

This is not necessarily true. I got my sons' passport without his fathers signature. There is a form to be signed in front of a notary by the absent parent. I had to prove what efforts I went to to locate his "father" and the state department decides if the parent has made a reasonable attempt. His passport arrived on the same day as mine.
I recently went to court over the parenting plan (child custody) and had it stipulated by the court that I have the legal right to seek a passport without the fathers approval, as well as unrestricted international travel on top of all the other designations for parenting decisions. Your friend would be wise to ask a judge to intervene.

I had to do the same thing--got a judge to issue an order that I have the legal right to seek a passport without my son's father's approval. It was a bit of a hassle, and costly, but it can be done.
If the other parent is in agreement with getting the passport, they don't have to appear, but if they do not, then they do have to fill out a paper (and it must be notarized) allowing the issuance of the passport without their presence (and there is additional documentation required along with that paper.)

It doesn't give any specifics what type of BC is required though does it? Or am I just missing that part. It just says an original or copy of BC from the Vital Records Office. Doesn't say anything about parents names, seals, certified, etc? So how would you know if you had the wrong one even if you did get it from Vital Records, or are all BC from Vital Records ok?

If it is from Vital Records you should be ok to get on the ship, as I understand it. The rules for getting a passport are what you need to worry about.

I'm pretty sure I would have been able to get on the ship with my short form B/C but I wanted a passport anyways.

Just remember you need the actual B/C! When it says "copy" it does NOT mean photocopy. It means a re-issued B/C.

This is not necessarily true.

Exactly. There's a whole flow chart on the passport page. Need both parents there, or need a parent and a notarized form from the other, or need a parent and a form filled out as to why the other parent has no input, etc etc etc. Covers just about every situation.

It doesn't give any specifics what type of BC is required though does it? Or am I just missing that part. It just says an original or copy of BC from the Vital Records Office. Doesn't say anything about parents names, seals, certified, etc? So how would you know if you had the wrong one even if you did get it from Vital Records, or are all BC from Vital Records ok?

Call the vital records of the county you were born in, and ask what the most recent official BC is. Compare it to yours. If you're getting a passport, and your BC isn't the official one, get one.

Ok...now that you have his BC....make sure you don't miss the ship....that cruise leaves on August 10th, not the 11th!!! LOL!! I know as I am on that one as well.:cool1::thumbsup2

MJ

Oops. :blush: Just typed the wrong date. We'll definitely be there! :goodvibes

sweetpee_1993 said:
Just an FYI: my birth certificate is a plastic card the size of a credit card. There #s & letters for my info are stamped into it & it has a seal but that part isn't raised or impressed into the plastic. It says on the card that it's an official birth certificate. I got it from my mom who received it from the state of Virginia 38 years ago. Never had a problem using it. I have a passport, too. Point is, not all official birth certificates are embossed with a seal or appear the same. The key is to be certain what you have is official. :D

Yeah, that's what my mother has as well (born in Virginia in 1947). Passport agency would not accept it. She had to order a new paper certificate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter