No availability for Christmas?

mickey765

Mouseketeer
Hi all,
Just floated the idea of going to Disney World over Christmas (I know, crowds are bad, but my family doesn't have the same luxuries as other families of going whenever they want), and I checked resorts and almost all are showing no availability. (would prefer to stay at POP Century) Are they gone for sure? Any advice on what to do?

Keep checking back for cancellations. But I'm not surprised there's little to no availability: Christmas is always a busy time, and the 50th celebrations will be in full swing then.

Have you looked into any of the good neighbour properties? The Disney Springs area resorts are within walking distance to DS (duh) and they'll provide park shuttles, if you don't want to walk to DS to catch a bus.

People cancel all the time. Look for 1 or 2 nights. Book your trip at multiple resorts. Keeo checking. Good chance you can change and wind up in 1 or maybe 2 resorts. You'll be preparing much of your stay.

My family is going to WDW from 12/19-12/27 and doing a split stay. I've noticed that quite a bit of availability has popped up this week from 12/23-12/27, but not as much from 12/19-12/23. I've been looking at availability because we changed our mind about resorts and whether we wanted to do a split stay. I'd suggest like others have that you just keep checking every day, because I think quite a few people are cancelling. There were 7+ more hotels available this past week then there had been for quite some time. Good luck...I hope you're able to get the hotel you want for the time frame you want! In 2019 I was able to snag a coveted WL deluxe CL room with an AP discount by checking availability every day, twice a day...hopefully this will work for you too!

BTW, we're in the same boat as you are with regard to dates...if we want to all travel together, it has to be during this time frame. Yes, it's crowded, but less so in the week before Christmas than the week from Christmas Day to New Year's Eve. As for Christmas Day and beyond, you can still have a great time despite the crowds with strategic planning of which parks to visit which day and a good touring plan, making ADRs, and utilizing FP+ (or I guess now Genie+ and the individual attraction paid passes, or whatever they're calling them now). We've visited WDW during this same time period for several years (2020 broke the streak, sadly), and we love it so much that Christmas at WDW has become our "tradition". :)

I’m a habitual resort changer so am often tinkering with plans - or contemplating tinkering with plans.

Every trip I’ve had this year has followed a similar pattern… slim pickings for options further out… then in the days/weeks before the trip, things have opened up and more options appear.

There are huge chunks of Disney guests that either still can’t or won’t travel - perhaps at the moment more than ever - but are still planning placeholder trips, so things are changing all the time.

Granted Christmas is a tough time in normal circumstances and given it’s just about the priciest time of the year, that puts pressure on the popular values like Pop.

Hope something works out for you!

I have trip planned in early December and there's barely anything available for that time at all - which seems odd to me. It's been that way for months too. I agree with the above info that I bet resorts show more availability closer to the date. I really can't believe the resorts are full to the brim that time of year. I've never seen that happen before for pre-Christmas week trips. I think Christmas week will open up some too - maybe Disney is holding rooms back for some reason? They're all rack rate too which is painful :(

I have trip planned in early December and there's barely anything available for that time at all - which seems odd to me. It's been that way for months too. I agree with the above info that I bet resorts show more availability closer to the date. I really can't believe the resorts are full to the brim that time of year. I've never seen that happen before for pre-Christmas week trips. I think Christmas week will open up some too - maybe Disney is holding rooms back for some reason? They're all rack rate too which is painful :(
I typically go the second week of December but that has been pretty limited for the things I searched for (since, like, maybe March? I forget when I booked now).

There are a lot of international travellers with previously cancelled trips who have postponed until October (schools have a week or two break) or December 2021. They are holding on, hoping beyond hope that US will allow entry… so you could find a whole lot of cancellations and resort rooms, APRs etc dropping shortly.

I'm also going to be there (fingers crossed) the beginning of December, I booked in June. First there was almost no availability, then when more of the resorts opened up there was some, now it's back to almost nothing available. I think a lot of people moved trips from early September to December because of current conditions down in FL related to the pandemic.

I'm booked 12-21--1-2, but I booked that as soon as December opened up. I agree with most others....I think there will be many cancellations. Keep checking around 35 to 30 days out when final payments are due.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter