Nikon users prime lens 50mm or 35mm and why

Mickey1Fan

<font color=magenta>He had five fingers and was we
I was shopping last night and was going to have one last look at the 50mm1.4D compared to the 50mm 1.8D. The sales associated somewhat convinced me I do not need to spend the money on the 1.4D because the specs are really close.

After this discussion he asked why I am not looking at the 35mm 1.8G.

I am looking for input at this point because I don't think there is a correct answer.

I have an 18-200 lens that is fabulous, except, as you all know, in low light. I want a fixed lens and photos are WDW every couple of years and I am taking a night school class and have learned over the past few weeks that I enjoy architectural type photos rather than nature.

I have a D200 so not a new body by any means but I just got it from my DS and I really like using it.

Thanks

I have a Nikkor 35MM 1.8. I wanted a faster lens for low light but I just prefer a wider lens than the 50.

While I'm not a Nikon shooter, I've used both a 50mm f/1.8 and a 30mm f/1.4 at WDW. I prefer the 30mm focal length by far (not just because of the wider aperture.) In fact, it's become my primary Disney lens even outside of the rides.

For the D200, it's a 1.5x crop factor, so the 50 won't be quite as tight as mine was (1.6x on my APS-C sensor), but it's close enough (75mm vs 80mm equiv).

Of course, that's all mostly just considering Disney. Outside of Disney, I'm not entirely sure.

I was shopping last night and was going to have one last look at the 50mm1.4D compared to the 50mm 1.8D. The sales associated somewhat convinced me I do not need to spend the money on the 1.4D because the specs are really close.

It's kind of a relative thing. It depends on your budget and what is important to you. If you are buying the lens as a general purpose lens then stick with the f/1.8. If you want low light pictures (ie dark rides) then I'd suggest the f/1.4.
Here's an article that you might find interesting: http://digital-photography-school.com/sweet-spots-why-your-f1-8-isnt-so-great-at-f1-8

Essentially the article explains why your fast lens needs to be stopped down a little to get sharper images. If you are shooting an f/1.4 then you only need to stop down to f/1.8. However, if you are using an f/1.8 lens you'll probably need to stop it down to f/2.2.

On the plus side, f/1.4 allow you to suck in that little bit of extra light when you're on a really dark ride. On the down side, f/1.4 has a very shallow depth of field which can make it very difficult to nail your focus.

But I agree with looking into a 35mm f/1.8 or Sigma's 30mm f/1.4. I personally find the 30mm to be a much more useful focal length. I find 50mm a bit awkward on dark rides. 30mm feels a lot more "natural." But given the choice I'd choose a 30mm f/1.4 over any 50mm. However, I'd suggest you look into the 35mm. Personally, I'd take a 35mm f/1.8 over a 50mm f/1.4.

Thank you everyone and I'll check out the link provided for the photography school.

I'm sensing the 35mm is the way to go from all of your opinions and from what I have read over the last couple of days.

I also played with my 18-200mm and took the 'same' photo at 35mm and 50mm. I am pretty sure I like what I see with the 35mm better than the 50mm.

The weekend will arrive shortly and I'll get out and take some photos. I think this is a fun dilemna.

If you have a crop sensor camera I would do the 35mm for sure. I have a crop sensor and got the 50mm/1.4 bc that was what I read was best...but hadn't factored in that I have a crop sensor camera. If I could do it over I would have gotten the 35mm...I bought the lens to be able to shoot in low light inside, but it is hard to get the proper distance in my house with the 50mm.

As for 1.4 vs 1.8, just depends on budget and long term goals/expectations. In my mind if I bought the 1.8 now for appx $120, I was pretty sure in a few years I'd want to upgrade to the 1.4, so why not just shell out the extra $200 to get the faster lens now (if you can afford the extra cost).

egritz,

I have pretty much decided on the 35mm. I've been taking photos at 35mm and 50mm on the 18-200mm and like what I see setting the lens at 35mm. Yes, I have a crop sensor camera.

I think today I'll be making my final decision as I am going to the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair in Toronto and am only going to use camera at 50mm and 35mm.

Cost is not a factor as I am getting the lens as a Christmas present from my parents. If it is over a certain amount it becomes Christmas and birthday which is fine by me!

I have pretty much decided on the 35mm. I've been taking photos at 35mm and 50mm on the 18-200mm and like what I see setting the lens at 35mm.

Therein lies the key to your answer - what you usually do :) Sounds like you've made the right choice.

Just to point out that asking a question and going with the general consensus is not always the best answer, I prefer the 50 mm. I accept that I am the exception rather than the rule, but sometimes you have to ask yourself the right questions after getting input from others to determine whether you fall into the exception or the rule category. Looks like you have done just that. Enjoy your new lens when you get it. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter