• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Night time Show & dinner questions...

Indee96

Earning My Ears
Planning our first Disney trip and I have a couple of questions. We are going in early May for 6 nights. It will be myself, my husband and our daughters who are 6 & 9. We are also traveling with my mother, my sister and her family. My nephews are 3 & 5.

1. Our youngest daughter HATES fireworks. If I was going to try to see one night time show what should we choose? I'm hoping we can do more than one but that will depend on her. :s

2. Our first full day is our HS day. We are not Star Wars or Disney Junior fans. We plan to be at the park for rope drop. We have a 3:30pm and 4:30 pm reservation for Sci-Fi. The 3:30 just became available and now I need to cancel one of them. Originally, we planned on taking a break in the afternoon and then heading back to the park for dinner at 4:30 and more rides in the evening. Wondering if we should instead stay through until dinner at 3:30 and then leave and explore Disney Springs or relax at the resort in the evening.

3. If we keep the 3:30 reservation and cancel the 4:30 do we have time to leave HS, go to Disney Springs and then back for Fantasmic if that's the show we choose to see? Or will we be too rushed?

Any thoughts on what’s the best plan for that day?

Rivers of Light has no fireworks because of the proximity to the animals. Fantasmic! has some fireworks, but not a whole lot, and they are more bright flashes than loud booms.

Illuminations has a lot of loud fireworks as does Wishes. Illuminations happens much closer to the ground though and is therefore louder. Star Wars also has some fireworks, but they are not that intense. You say you aren't big Star Wars fans so I wouldn't recommend that show anyway.

So, Rivers of Light or Fantasmic! are your best bets.

As for the timing, you can expect it to take a while to get to Disney Springs on the buses. If you have a car that's a different story, but honestly, you wouldn't have much time at DS if you are wanting to make it back for F! (unless there are two shows that night). People queue up for F! an hour early most nights. I do recommend snagging it as your 4th Fast Pass of the day as there are so many and it will give you a wider selection of seating (though it does not mean you can show up later really). Also, just to note, in my experience, Sci-Fi gets backed up so if your ADR is 3:30 you may not get in there until a bit after that. That's just been my experience though.

So, to sum that up, the timing is very tight and I doubt you'd have much fun racing around like that.

Last edited:
would noise canceling ear phones ( the kind that goes over your ears help the one that dose not like them, first aid also has the phone ( SP?) kind that gose in your ears.

I would keep your 430 go back to your hotel during the heat of the day, then go to dinner and by the time you get done 5:30 wish it should be cooling off. not sure when the show is you want too see but if taking disney bus it can take an hour to get to your hotel buy car less.

Fantasmic! has the single loudest "BOOM" in all of WDW, and it comes as a complete surprise.

Your safest bet is Rivers of Light as there are no fireworks. I, personally, would be wary of taking younger children to Fantasmic. The show really scared my DS when he was 4.

Magic Kingdom Castle projection show and fireworks is the one my family must see every trip. I know fantasmic has some parts that could scare young children but also has a lot of familiar characters in it. Maybe show the child in question youtube videos of the shows and ask which they prefer.

All the fireworks shows the last week or so appear to be louder to me. It looks like a new shipment of shells came in, some of them larger bursts. They have been shaking my windows at home and they haven't done that since last spring. Not being in the park isn't a guarantee you'll be away from the loud noises.

I also think most younger kids that don't enjoy or want to run away from the fireworks is actually a noise problem and also consider ear protection for them as suggested. A great example is I was sitting in MK in a spot I knew I could see wishes with a seat and a young child and their family did the same. the little girl wanted to run away but her father held his hands over her ears and she just watched them smiling after that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter