Niece says she doesn't like princesses!

Yep she just started first grade. I don't know what is going on with her in the past couple months to a year but she has been becoming very introverted/shy and just not her self. I know some kids have been mean to her at school (even to the point of calling her a liar when she said she was going to Disney World) so I don't know if that is why she may be saying she doesn't like princesses. I'm really hoping this is a trip where she can just let go and be a kid without worrying about what others think. It should help her that I will be wearing mickey ears with her and I have a costume for MNSSHP too. I worry about her but I don't get to see her too often so I don't know what is all going on. I hear things from other family members and it makes me sad. She already doesn't like going to school. I'm really just trying to make this a trip she will remember forever. My thought is to keep BBB and she can at least get her makeup/hair/nails done if she doesn't want the dress then that is okay. We will figure something out for her for a costume.

This makes me really sad, especially as a mom of a 3rd grade DD. Sounds like the class or something needs some lessons on being good friends/not bullying. Hopefully her mom will speak up to the teacher. My DD is one of the only girls who still LOVES Frozen. She won't wear princess shirts to school (but happily in Disney!) but has no problem telling her friends that she still likes them (she will wear Minnie Mouse and Tinkerbell... apparently they're cooler than princesses?)

I'd definitely talk to your niece - she just might love BBB but is resisting because of the mean girls.

Really, I wouldn't worry. I think she will like BBB and she can pick from a variety of hairstyles, not just the bun.

If she likes things like hair and make up and nails she will enjoy BBB. She can choose an outfit or not, but the experience will still be fun.

Away from home and in WDW kids do a lot of things they wouldn't do at home in front of their friends.

One of my girls, at about age 12, surprised me and asked for an Aurora costume for MNSSHP, so who knows. It's different there. Just enjoy and don't worry too much about it. She will have a blast no matter what.

I'm taking my 6 year old niece on her first trip to WDW in one week. I have so many surprises planned for her that I almost can't contain my excitement. Disney has always been a place that I have wanted to take her too. Every year her and I have gone to Disney on Ice and she always wears her princess dress and we always talk about going to WDW together one day…I can't believe the one day is next week! Anyways, the other day we were at my parents house and we were talking about Disney and she said she doesn't really like princesses. Her mom took her inside to get some food and when she came out my niece told me she was just kidding about not liking princesses. I think her mom may have told her to say that. I am okay if she doesn't like princesses but one of the surprises I have for her is an appointment at BBB at the castle followed by MNSSHP. I think she will like to get her hair done regardless but I don't know if she will want the princess dress. The problem is I figured she would like the princess dress so I was planning on that being her costume for the party.

I honestly think when she gets there she will see the princesses and all the other little girls in their princess dress and she will want to do it but I'm not sure. So, what would you do? Would you tell her about BBB ahead of time and let her make a decision if she wants to do it? Idk if I could get a pirates league reservation this close to the trip and she does have a reservation for there two days after her BBB reservation. I also don't know what the cancellation policy is for BBB. I mean I guess she could always get the minnie mouse halloween dress if she doesn't want princess. Anyone dealt with a 6 year old who all of sudden doesn't like princesses?

I don't think you can force it on your niece if she isn't interested. I remember my daughter also was not at all into the girly things from a very young age. She never had an interest in dolls, Barrie's, makeup, dressing up, etc.....she is now 14 and still not into girly things. Another thing like above posters mentioned is to show her pictures or give her a choice of what she wants to do and then make your decision.

I just read in the "When to tell the kids" thread that this is your niece's 1st WDW trip ever.

In that case please keep BBB. Trust me, she will be so excited and so immersed in Disney and the magic (age 6 is a perfect age!) that she will love it.

It is really a special experience. They really fawn over her and pay a ton of attention. They do the whole process with her back to the mirror and then they turn for the reveal. The look on their face the 1st time is priceless.

With this being her 1st trip she may be so into it and so into the feeling that she is in another world that she may want that princess dress again.

I'd plan for contingencies. And I agree with asking her mom just to get a sense. Between the last trip and this one, DD is definitely out of princesses now. But she still likes face painting and such. I've made an appointment at Pirate's League and figured I could ask them, once they know, if they would prefer face painting or Pirate's League. No big deal to me except I want to cancel in plenty of time.

I just read in the "When to tell the kids" thread that this is your niece's 1st WDW trip ever.

In that case please keep BBB. Trust me, she will be so excited and so immersed in Disney and the magic (age 6 is a perfect age!) that she will love it.

It is really a special experience. They really fawn over her and pay a ton of attention. They do the whole process with her back to the mirror and then they turn for the reveal. The look on their face the 1st time is priceless.

With this being her 1st trip she may be so into it and so into the feeling that she is in another world that she may want that princess dress again.

I'm going to talk to her but I'm leaning to keeping it. She usually likes getting her hair done and she will feel grown up getting make-up and nail polish done. So, I think even if she doesn't want the full experience she will likely still have fun with parts of the experience. I'm not going to force her to get a dress if she doesn't want one. However, I also think since we have lunch at CRT before BBB that might also put her in the "magic" and make her want to do BBB, especially considering I expect that there will be many girls at CRT that will have done BBB.

Your niece is lucky to have such a wonderful aunt!!
I wish you both the most magical trip everpixiedust:

There's a lot apart from princesses in Disney! :)

Yea, I know that. I'm not worried that she will not have a good time at WDW. I'm wondering if I should surprise her with BBB or tell her ahead of time about BBB.

I would keep the BBB appointment! I am a mom to a 6 year old first grader. She has struggled with these types of issues herself. She was so excited to show her friends her new earrings yesterday after her first time changing them since she got them pierced over the summer. One little girl told her, "Who cares? My earrings are better because they are diamonds!". Some girls this age can definitely be pretty mean. My DD still loves princesses and, at this point anyway, still wants to do BBB when we go to WDW in 2017. I bet your niece will love it and most likely made the comment due to some negative feedback she heard at school. Have a great trip!

Update: I was worried for nothing! We leave tomorrow and my niece called me to tell me how excited she is for her first WDW trip. She told me she has been trying on all her disney princess dresses. I asked her if they all still fit and she said no but most still do. So, I asked her if we need to get her a new dress when we go to Disney and she told me she thinks so. In 24 hours we will be in the air on our way to WDW!

Update: I was worried for nothing! We leave tomorrow and my niece called me to tell me how excited she is for her first WDW trip. She told me she has been trying on all her disney princess dresses. I asked her if they all still fit and she said no but most still do. So, I asked her if we need to get her a new dress when we go to Disney and she told me she thinks so. In 24 hours we will be in the air on our way to WDW!

Oh, she will love it. I'm glad you kept your plans. Trust me, it will make her day.

Last update: She enjoyed BBB but she preferred Pirates League. she said next time she would rather just do Pirates League. She said when they put up her hair that it hurt. I think Pirates League was more interactive and the lady doing her Pirate make-over seemed to interact and talk with her more than then her Fairy Godmother did at BBB.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter