NickelodeoDON'T!!

whgrn

<font color=red>This is SOOOOOO not the life I sig
Before we went, I read lots of reviews, good and bad. I'm pretty laid back, though, and my son REALLY wanted to stay at the Nick, and we were able to get the rooms free with Priority Club points, soooo....

The lobby is sparse. Very sparse. No decor other than the green and orange splats that seem to be everywhere you look. Checkin was fine. It was early, and only one of our rooms was ready, but the clerk very nicely showed us on the map how to get to our rooms.

We were on the second floor at the very back of the hotel, in Building 3. We had connecting 2 bedroom suites. The rooms were VERY small. The living area had a pull-out couch, an extremely uncomfortable, odd shaped chair, a microscopic table for 2 (which seemed odd in a 6 person suite!), and a wide screen flat panel TV. The kitchenette was ok, with a fridge and a microwave, which came in very handy. The bathroom was nothing special, but it WAS very very clean.

The master bedroom was tight, but had decent closet space. It had a double bed, which was actually quite comfortable. The TV was set into a shelf above 3 drawers. It was fine for just me, but I would not have wanted to share that space with anyone! As usual, there were about 6 hangers. The kids' room had twin beds, a TV over 3 drawers, and a microscopic closet area, maybe 18-24" wide. One suite had Fairly Odd Parents, the other had SpongeBob. The room had a curtain rather than a door. That was the only decorated area of the suite, other than the ever present green and orange splat! accents.

Housekeeping was great at keeping it clean, but that's it. One day we came back to find that one suite had been made up, and one had not. When we called for clean towels so at least we could shower, it took a long time and several phone calls to actually get them. When I called for extra blankets, they never even showed up!

The pool areas were no big deal. It really looked like someone threw up Nickelodeon everywhere! The pool near us had a big slide, and there were 2 jacuzzis which were closed our entire stay except the last night. (We used it then and it was great). The main pool, at the front of the hotel, was bigger, It had a big slide and playground area, as well as a zero entry pool. There was a giant bucket over the slide (more on that later). There was a snack bar and a basketball court too. Quite honestly, I've seen better "water parks" at many many hotels, most of which cost a good bit less than the Nick! (Stormalong Bay at Disney's Yacht and Beach Club is WAY better, and they have a lazy river!) At 4:45 each day, the kids line up to get "slimed". The "slime" is basically green water, poured from the giant bucket over the slide. It was underwhelming, to say the least! We went on our first day, and never went back.

"The Mall" lies between the two pool areas. It consists of a buffet restaurant, a regular restaurant where they have character breakfasts, a "food court" consisting of 3 counter-service places--one was a Subway, one a Starbucks-type place, and I forget the other. In addition, there is a convenience store, and a Nickelodeon store. Seating for the food court and the buffet is like a cafeteria. The breakfast buffet is pretty blah, but at $9.95 per adult and $6.95 per kid, it was cheap compared to everything else there. Not a place I'd want to eat too often!

Overall, I gave the place a C-. Really, the only true positives were comfortable beds and clean rooms. Fortunately, we didn't spend much time in the rooms! If I'd been paying actually money for the rooms, I would have been very unhappy. Needless to say, we will NOT be going back!

Wendy in NJ
Check out my trip report at www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1638072

You get what you pay for.... next time try a Disney Value Resort....Way much better:thumbsup2

Before we went, I read lots of reviews, good and bad. I'm pretty laid back, though, and my son REALLY wanted to stay at the Nick, and we were able to get the rooms free with Priority Club points, soooo....

The lobby is sparse. Very sparse. No decor other than the green and orange splats that seem to be everywhere you look. Checkin was fine. It was early, and only one of our rooms was ready, but the clerk very nicely showed us on the map how to get to our rooms.

We were on the second floor at the very back of the hotel, in Building 3. We had connecting 2 bedroom suites. The rooms were VERY small. The living area had a pull-out couch, an extremely uncomfortable, odd shaped chair, a microscopic table for 2 (which seemed odd in a 6 person suite!), and a wide screen flat panel TV. The kitchenette was ok, with a fridge and a microwave, which came in very handy. The bathroom was nothing special, but it WAS very very clean.

The master bedroom was tight, but had decent closet space. It had a double bed, which was actually quite comfortable. The TV was set into a shelf above 3 drawers. It was fine for just me, but I would not have wanted to share that space with anyone! As usual, there were about 6 hangers. The kids' room had twin beds, a TV over 3 drawers, and a microscopic closet area, maybe 18-24" wide. One suite had Fairly Odd Parents, the other had SpongeBob. The room had a curtain rather than a door. That was the only decorated area of the suite, other than the ever present green and orange splat! accents.

Housekeeping was great at keeping it clean, but that's it. One day we came back to find that one suite had been made up, and one had not. When we called for clean towels so at least we could shower, it took a long time and several phone calls to actually get them. When I called for extra blankets, they never even showed up!

The pool areas were no big deal. It really looked like someone threw up Nickelodeon everywhere! The pool near us had a big slide, and there were 2 jacuzzis which were closed our entire stay except the last night. (We used it then and it was great). The main pool, at the front of the hotel, was bigger, It had a big slide and playground area, as well as a zero entry pool. There was a giant bucket over the slide (more on that later). There was a snack bar and a basketball court too. Quite honestly, I've seen better "water parks" at many many hotels, most of which cost a good bit less than the Nick! (Stormalong Bay at Disney's Yacht and Beach Club is WAY better, and they have a lazy river!) At 4:45 each day, the kids line up to get "slimed". The "slime" is basically green water, poured from the giant bucket over the slide. It was underwhelming, to say the least! We went on our first day, and never went back.

"The Mall" lies between the two pool areas. It consists of a buffet restaurant, a regular restaurant where they have character breakfasts, a "food court" consisting of 3 counter-service places--one was a Subway, one a Starbucks-type place, and I forget the other. In addition, there is a convenience store, and a Nickelodeon store. Seating for the food court and the buffet is like a cafeteria. The breakfast buffet is pretty blah, but at $9.95 per adult and $6.95 per kid, it was cheap compared to everything else there. Not a place I'd want to eat too often!

Overall, I gave the place a C-. Really, the only true positives were comfortable beds and clean rooms. Fortunately, we didn't spend much time in the rooms! If I'd been paying actually money for the rooms, I would have been very unhappy. Needless to say, we will NOT be going back!

Wendy in NJ
Check out my trip report at www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1638072

You get what you pay for.... next time try a Disney Value Resort....Way much better:thumbsup2

In the context of this post, your comment doesn't make any sense!:confused3

You are correct, you DO get what you pay for...in this case the OP got 2 pool areas, pool slide, 2 hot tubs, 5 dining options (one character!) and two shopping outlets. They also enjoyed separate sleeping areas for adults and children, 2 TVs and a fridge and microwave included in the price.

Remind me again what you get at a value resort? Oh yes, now I remember...you get 2 double beds, 1 TV, a food court and a pool that has neither a slide nor a hot tub.

While the decor may not have been to the OP's liking, and the much touted resort amenities may have seemed to be over exaggerated by previous guests, it is very clear to me from this post that the Nick offers enough additional amenities to justify charging a significant amount more than Disney's Value resorts.

You do, in fact, get what you pay for.

I think the thing that has always turned me off to the Nickelodeon resort was how LOUD everything looked. Neon orange an green aren't soothing to me.

We were going to stay one night before our Disney trip this month, but we've decided to wait for warmer weather next year so we can enjoy it more.:) Even if you said the place was complete crud, I would still go because DS will make me, lol. Thanks for the review! It's nice to hear the rooms were very clean.

Anyone looking to book at Nick Travel Zoo has a $99.00 a night King Suite special good through Febuary. They also charge a $20 a night resort fee. It's not for everyone, but if your travelling with kids and don't want to spend all day at the parks it's a nice alternative. We'll be visiting Universal in Febuary and will spend the mornings in the parks and then when the crowds start to come in the afternoon we'll head back to the activities at Nick. Again it's not everyone cup of tea, but most kids do love the resort.

We used to love this hotel before Nickelodeon bought it! Sad really, it was a nice family orientated hotel before, now it soundslike a tourist trap.

Yes, I wish it were still Holiday Inn Family Suites. It was so nice and the price was about 1/3 of what they charge now and included breakfast.

We LOVE the Nick....what is the code for the travel zoo deal??? It does not appear in my top 20 for this week. We are going over Christmas week...
VERY kid oriented..my kids are on the verge of being too old for it so we are trying to cram as many visits in as we can before that happens :-( We always stay at Swan in Disney, but always do one or two nights Nick and don't do any parks when we stay there to utilize the place. Its VERY VERY different from the Swan...and 2 days is the most we want to be there...but definitely requires a stop for us. You also forgot to mention the FREE shows every night and all day pool side. Nickelodeon themed of course...with volunteers from the audience. My kids LOVE it. AWESOME game room in the mall area also! Please share the code or where I can find the travel zoo deal! Thanks!

I'm curious as to what your kids thought of the place. I know you went there for them, did their opinions reflect yours?

I think you are asking this of the original poster...but my kids LOVE the place. We have brought many other families with us over the past few years, and all the kids have loved it. My kids were raised on Swan hotel at Disney 2 times a year for the past 10 years...and definitely LOVE the Swan....Nick is VERY different...remember its a HOLIDAY INN..there is nothing luxurious about it..yes, its a VALUE resort but with great KID ammenities. DEFINITELY nothing "soothing" about the NIck orange and green, or the place in general being it is a "motel" type place. The food is definitely nothing special...but its convenient and we only stay there one or two nights, so it is fine for what it is for me. I wouldn't recommend staying here for a whole week INSTEAD of disney...that wouldn't work for me..but it definitely always requires a stop for us. Free nighttime Nickelodeon type shows...karaoke, game room...the night alone is worth it to me. Plus even tho its not "fancy" or "deluxe" it is nice to have the mini suite with 2 bedrooms and three Tvs in the room! Pool table, basketball and mini golf poolside (all free) besides the Nickelodeon pool side shows where they pull volunteers from the pool several times a day...its really awesome for kids...and those that are kids at heart.

My kids were not impressed. They were disappointed in the pool area. We really didn't see much else going on, but a) we were all the way in the back of the resort and b) we were gone all day at the parks and c) it was sort of in the off season. It may be much better in the summer, but all 7 of us said "never again".

Just our personal opinions.

just wanted to agree that the kids love the NICK. my SIL, BIL and their 5 kids went and they all LOVED it. the kids got such a kick out of their parents participating in the games. my SIL even got slimed. it was all the kids could talk about! they also told me about something they did one night. i'm sure it was for a fee, but the 4 older kids went to something supervised for a few hours and they hung out in the room. never been there myself, but i know the kids loved it.

hi whgrn!!

this is for the person who replied "you get what you pay for", this place is WAY overpriced for the service you get! Flat out the Nick hotel (I use that term losely) SUCKS, management listens to the complaints but in our case failed to respond, we informed her that word of mouth goes a long way and we would be giving this place a negative review every chance we got. For the price we paid we could have bought hopper passes and spent the same amount of time at one of Disneys value resorts. Or bought our son his first car. This place is so poorly ran I dont know how they stay open. My own opinions, feel free to flame me. The splats are so 80ish, I do love Sponge Bob, but just not the ripeoff hotel.

We stayed there years ago whenit was th Holiday Inn Family Suites and it was great and affordable! Now that its Nick, we took a ride over to check it out ... I have to say as adults we thought it looked really cool and my kids begged and begged to stay there with all the Nick characters. Once we got home and looked at what they charge for a nights stay OMG:scared1: :scared1: I almost fell off my chair! There is no way I would pay that much money just to say we had a room with SpongeBob on the walls ...we could stay at a deluxe resort for what they charge at Nick. Its nolonger in our price range, now if they bring back the Kelloggs charcter room we once had and cut the price in half, then we may consider it. Guess Nick wanted to jump in and try to steal some of the Disney Magic:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter