News Round Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not at all is my guess. I was under the impression that both Disney and Starwood are locked into pretty hefty contracts regarding the Swan and Dolphin.

I imagine they'll be the first two Starwood properties to become Marriott Autograph Collection hotels once the purchase is done. Marriott has taken great care to preserve unique properties they acquire, so I'm sure the Swolphin will be no different - especially given the priority location and the conference space the two hotels have.

As a Platinum Marriott Rewards member, this makes me oh-so-happy! I also have Starwood points, but never really liked their properties enough to status up. For us, it could be the best of both worlds - Marriott and Disney!

it all boils down to capacity and money per guest spent per day. Although Annual Passholders are a great asset for Theme Parks in the "lean" financial times.. When a things are doing well and you literally have people taking out loans or getting second jobs to pay for their Disney addiction not fearing a economic collapse. It doesn't become a surprise that Theme parks now see Annual Passholders as the "cheap" guests. Although a AP may spend more money throughout the year they tend to spend less all at once, compared to those who make the trip once or twice, APs may spend big but they spend big over a shorter time... Theme Parks would rather pack themselves with people who go less often and their fore need to buy more keepsakes or dine at the more expensive restaurants because those guest make them more profit per day. Its all about maximizing those quarterly profits for the stock holders after all

it all boils down to capacity and money per guest spent per day. Although Annual Passholders are a great asset for Theme Parks in the "lean" financial times.. When a things are doing well and you literally have people taking out loans or getting second jobs to pay for their Disney addiction not fearing a economic collapse. It doesn't become a surprise that Theme parks now see Annual Passholders as the "cheap" guests. Although a AP may spend more money throughout the year they tend to spend less all at once, compared to those who make the trip once or twice, APs may spend big but they spend big over a shorter time... Theme Parks would rather pack themselves with people who go less often and their fore need to buy more keepsakes or dine at the more expensive restaurants because those guest make them more profit per day. Its all about maximizing those quarterly profits for the stock holders after all

I'm an AP at all 3 Orlando parks and I completely get this. An average family of 4 will spend upwards of $2-3000 on a 'value' vacation if they do everything (room, food, etc.) through Disney. My annual pass was ~$500 when I first bought in. I may spend money on food or merch once in a while but it doesn't come close to $3k. At all. And I'm there at least 52 days a year since I go once a week.

An average family of 4 will spend upwards of $2-3000 on a 'value' vacation if they do everything (room, food, etc.) through Disney.
I completely agree that AP holders seem to be considered a liability, especially during busy periods. And since nearly every week of the year is deemed "busy", the restrictions are not unexpected.

And to clear up a "value" vacation for a family of 4. I just put in a week long package for 2 adults, 2 kids, mid-June (when school is out for the little darlings), staying at Pop Century in a Standard Pool View room, Park Hopper (no water parks) with the DDP.... $4393.76. And this doesn't include travel. Add another $1,000-$1200 for plane tickets and you're approaching $6,000.

Towing my RV down and staying at Fort Wilderness is $3,000 without food. I know Disney isn't getting my fuel or food bill, but it still factors into my total "spend" and willingness to drop $$$ for the "once in a lifetime (every 3 years or so) trip". There is a perception (and possibly TDC data somewhere) that AP holders aren't willing to spend the same way, regardless of the number of visits per year. Not saying this is accurate, but it seems to be the current logic.

j

It doesn't hold water anymore, but what isn't considered is good will. How many hidden bookings do AP holders bring in? An AP holder who is local, travels cheap, and doesn't eat on property is a burden. But an AP who is an addict, posts and talks about their trips, and encourages friends and families is an asset beyond their cost.

But in today's data driven market how do you find those? Can Disney capture the grandparents, aunts, uncles, and others who wouldn't be there unless the AP holder convinced everyone to do a big trip?

But yes, in a global market with a high demand product any and all discounts are a burden. And despite the cost complaints there is not a single shred of evidence that any park operator has "gone too far". All the number crunchers would say the opposite - they are still leaving money on the table.

Wonder how this will change the Swan and Dolphin if at all

http://money.cnn.com/2015/11/16/investing/marriott-starwood-hotel/
The thought had crossed my mind, but the actual buildings remain owned by Tishman/MetLife. So the rights to operate it are all that are being transferred here. So apart from maybe a rebrand (certainly possible now that Marriott is going to have like 30 brands under their umbrella) nothing drastic should happen.

As an aside, those are some of the ugliest buildings on property. Give me anything 4240 or Stern designed over those atrocities that Graves dreamed up. Additionally they have a backstory that nobody gets. Ugly and bad storytelling...

The thought had crossed my mind, but the actual buildings remain owned by Tishman/MetLife. So the rights to operate it are all that are being transferred here. So apart from maybe a rebrand (certainly possible now that Marriott is going to have like 30 brands under their umbrella) nothing drastic should happen.

As an aside, those are some of the ugliest buildings on property. Give me anything 4240 or Stern designed over those atrocities that Graves dreamed up. Additionally they have a backstory that nobody gets. Ugly and bad storytelling...
I agree the backstory isn't very good and I love the myths about the dolphin and swan statues or the black square being for monorail expansion. I do think the buildings are very unique and I actually like them. I have stayed at the dolphin. It's definitely not my style for a Disney vacation but it was nice and it definitely was a convention hotel.

I agree the backstory isn't very good and I love the myths about the dolphin and swan statues or the black square being for monorail expansion. I do think the buildings are very unique and I actually like them. I have stayed at the dolphin. It's definitely not my style for a Disney vacation but it was nice and it definitely was a convention hotel.

My Dad's company built components of the Swolphin, and that's the bit he always had to deal with - was that people thought it was going to be the "pink Contemporary" with the monorail running through it.

They used to be THE places, but now they're just a generic hotel. I'm hoping Marriott can breathe some festive life back in them and revive the original idea and minimal "story" that went with them.

My Dad's company built components of the Swolphin, and that's the bit he always had to deal with - was that people thought it was going to be the "pink Contemporary" with the monorail running through it.

They used to be THE places, but now they're just a generic hotel. I'm hoping Marriott can breathe some festive life back in them and revive the original idea and minimal "story" that went with them.
Yes, when we stayed there in 2012 there was a large convention going on at both hotels. We were kicked out of the pool one day because they had it rented out and it seemed like these people were everywhere. I understand the need for the convention business but they do have other guests as well. It is a very nice hotel and they are in a great location but they just weren't Disney to me.

I think at least every customer, every guest counts. I can't really understand why people differentiate between "good paying" and "bad paying" customers. At first sight it seems to be a good idea, but does it work for a long time business?

btw: Hi to all of you, I am a newbie here :butterfly

A third new ride rumored to open up in 2017 at Universal (not including the new waterpark also opening up that year).. the Secret Life of Pets going in the spot of the mostly unused Toon Lagoon amphitheater. A trackless all ages family ride (not at all screen based). Similar to Pooh in Japan in a very general way.

http://orlandoinformer.com/blog/the-future-of-toon-lagoon/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter