News Round Up 2020

The costs to run AK must be staggering. The Birmingham Zoo, here in town, estimated it costs $30K a day in fixed costs. It's a fraction of AK in terms of animals and exhibits and infrastructure. I would not have a hard time believing that just the animal care, feeding, and environmental controls at AK run more than $100K a day in fixed costs.

Birmingham Zoo number quoted here: https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...o-offset-an-elephant-sized-plunge-in-revenues
I'm from Birmingham also! I had no idea it costs that much to run our zoo per day. It's a great zoo!

Hrm. I guess that makes sense with the park reservation system. You have a digital way of knowing if a person is going to be in the park or not (unlike before the reservation system), so why do they need to be physically in the park?

I just don't like the idea of having to be on my phone at 7:00 am at my resort (when I may want to be sleeping in due to later opening hours for most parks right now). That just seems a bit early *shrug*. Why not 8?

At the same time .. I do like the idea of not having to make sure I am inside the park at a certain time in case there is a long ticket line or delays in transportation.

Not sure if this will make it HARDER to get a morning boarding pass? I guess theoretically MORE people would be doing this knowing they weren't planning on being there by 10:00 AM.

I guess this means they may bump up the opening time of DHS .. as this allows them to change the opening times without having to communicate the change to the morning boarding pass reservation process.

Of course it changes when I get there. Hopefully the system can handle this. Sounds much better than having to show up and hope for the best. Takes advantage of the required park reservations.
Can you change your park reservation day of (if there is availability)? I am curious if you can have a DHS reservation .. see if you get a boarding pass at 7:00 AM and then if not, switch your park reservation to another park?

If so . .that gives some flexibility. My fear is to "waste" a day at DHS and not get on Rise.

Hrm. I guess that makes sense with the park reservation system. You have a digital way of knowing if a person is going to be in the park or not (unlike before the reservation system), so why do they need to be physically in the park?

I just don't like the idea of having to be on my phone at 7:00 am at my resort (when I may want to be sleeping in due to later opening hours for most parks right now). That just seems a bit early *shrug*. Why not 8?

At the same time .. I do like the idea of not having to make sure I am inside the park at a certain time in case there is a long ticket line or delays in transportation.

Not sure if this will make it HARDER to get a morning boarding pass? I guess theoretically MORE people would be doing this knowing they weren't planning on being there by 10:00 AM.

I guess this means they may bump up the opening time of DHS .. as this allows them to change the opening times without having to communicate the change to the morning boarding pass reservation process.
A lot of Disney things are done at 7AM so this probably is just easier in their system.

Can you change your park reservation day of (if there is availability)? I am curious if you can have a DHS reservation .. see if you get a boarding pass at 7:00 AM and then if not, switch your park reservation to another park?

If so . .that gives some flexibility. My fear is to "waste" a day at DHS and not get on Rise.
You should be able to if there is availability at other parks.

You should be able to if there is availability at other parks.

That was my question too - when do you have to cancel a park reservation for the system to recognize you can book one / have one available within your limit? Is it basically instanious? if so that should be great for people that try, dont' get one and say "eh, let's do EPCOT instead today" or whatever

Should help reduce some of the crush of people there for park opening (though I suspect still will be rather bad for getting in line for MMRR)

That was my question too - when do you have to cancel a park reservation for the system to recognize you can book one / have one available within your limit? Is it basically instanious? if so that should be great for people that try, dont' get one and say "eh, let's do EPCOT instead today" or whatever

Should help reduce some of the crush of people there for park opening (though I suspect still will be rather bad for getting in line for MMRR)
Per what @yulilin3 said and others Disney is saying you can switch based on availability.

While it will be nice to not have to arrive before park opening, this will just mean the BGs are gone by 07:00:01 instead of 07:00:02. I would image there will be more people trying to get the first BGs now since they don't have to be in the park.

Until they can increase ride capacity (and improve reliability) moving the BG times won't do much.

We were there 2 weeks ago. Our first day at HS we got BG 39 at the 10am attempt. RotR was down for 90 minutes before noon. Our BG was called at 1:40pm. We made it inside and it broke down for another hour. It was 3:10 before we made it on. A week later, we went to HS with 3 other groups. Of the 4 groups of us trying for a BG at 10am and 2pm, only 1 group was able to get a BG.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter