News Round Up 2020

I’m trying very hard to think of reasons they would do this that don’t involve them thinking they may just reschedule the entire thing and I’m struggling to do so.
could it do with things that were scheduled for 2020 getting pushed back to 2021? So until they fully know what happens to DVC stuff for 2020 they are holding off new things for 2022?
keep in mind member cruises are chartered cruises not part of dcl normal schedule. Member cruises require extra entertainers, speakers, etc. Usually on those cruises you get some of the bigwigs from Disney or Pixar, plus Disney archives people, etc. That might be a big factor in pushing back a booking window or anything else they might decide to do with the cruise.

Perhaps an unpopular question....
At what point can WDW make money? Regardless of guidelines, restrictions, mandates.... why should they open at all if they do not make money?

Just askin....
They aren't making money right now. Even opening in a limited capacity could make that loss smaller. It may not become a gain right away but at least not as large of a loss.

At what point can WDW make money? Regardless of guidelines, restrictions, mandates.... why should they open at all if they do not make money?

Just askin....

I think that is a very relevant question - but I also wonder if opening in stages help them be successful in the long run. So maybe they lose some money in Phase 1 but by going through that they are able to expand their offerings more and faster so they get to phase 2 sooner where they do make money

No idea, but I would think "easing into things" would be easier than waiting several more months and then opening like right to Phase 3

Just askin....
They aren't making money right now. Even opening in a limited capacity could make that loss smaller. It may not become a gain right away but at least not as large of a loss.
Long ago, my employer used to sell biscuits. We lost a ton of money on each bag of biscuits we sold. But when we let the plant sit idle we lost even more money. So we continued to sell biscuits. Eventually circumstances changed and now we don’t sell biscuits anymore, but for a long time we lost less money by losing money selling biscuits.

That’s what’s gonna happen with 12,000 people in the Magic Kingdom, probably paying discounted admission, but buying $11 hot dogs.

Just askin....
I think that is a very relevant question - but I also wonder if opening in stages help them be successful in the long run. So maybe they lose some money in Phase 1 but by going through that they are able to expand their offerings more and faster so they get to phase 2 sooner where they do make money

No idea, but I would think "easing into things" would be easier than waiting several more months and then opening like right to Phase 3
I think this question may better apply to certain aspects of the opening, especially restaurants. There may be some restaurants that would lose more money being open at 50% reduced capacity than they would lose just staying closed. I think buffets could be a big one here. Obviously there has been a lot of discussion on changes to buffets and whether they even open due to virus concerns (Dis podcast, pages of buffet discussion in another thread). I think they're a good example though in which it may be difficult to significantly reduce costs since they have to make and put out food at a rate that they can't reduce very much despite the reduced capacity. I'm sure there are other restaurants that would need to be near full capacity to not have a high food waste rate (I could see sushi being a problem, for instance). I think those will be considerations that factor into how many and which of the restaurants are open.

It's usually a product like milk or eggs, but when they open back up... WDW itself will be a "loss leader" so that they can maintain the "Magic" for when things get better...but it's critical they get it right the first time.

Long ago, my employer used to sell biscuits. We lost a ton of money on each bag of biscuits we sold. But when we let the plant sit idle we lost even more money. So we continued to sell biscuits. Eventually circumstances changed and now we don’t sell biscuits anymore, but for a long time we lost less money by losing money selling biscuits.

That’s what’s gonna happen with 12,000 people in the Magic Kingdom, probably paying discounted admission, but buying $11 hot dogs.
Does the hot dog have ketchup or mustard on it? Mustard is a no go for me. Wouldn't pay a dollar for it. Ketchup though.....Yeah, I'm that guy.

This news is found through multiple outets but here's one that I saw includes information relating to how Disney also pulled some movies to just Disney+ rather than theater release:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/28/...rld-tour-disney-warnermedia-digital-streaming
Some key comments-

{NBCUniversal CEO Jeff}Shell noted that as “soon as theaters reopen, we expect to release movies on both formats,” meaning some movies would continue with theatrical releases while others would go directly to digital retailers or possibly land on NBCUniversal’s new streaming service, Peacock. The move led to a lengthy statement from AMC Theatres chair-CEO Adam Aron, who claimed that Shell’s comments were “unacceptable.”

“It is disappointing to us, but Jeff’s comments as to Universal’s unilateral actions and intentions have left us with no choice,” Aron wrote. “Therefore, effectively immediately AMC will no longer play any Universal movies in any of our theatres in the United States, Europe or the Middle East.”

"This policy affects any and all Universal movies per se, goes into effect today and as our theatres reopen, and is not some hollow or ill-considered threat,” Aron continued in his letter. “Incidentally, this policy is not aimed solely at Universal out of pique or to be punitive in any way, it also extends to any movie maker who unilaterally abandons current windowing practices absent good faith negotiations between us, so that they as distributor and we as exhibitor both benefit and neither are hurt from such changes.”

"Universal isn’t the only studio who’s bypassing theatrical releases for some of its films, but Shell is one of the only executives who is “contemplating a wholesale change to the status quo,” according to Aron. That’s why, despite WarnerMedia and Disney moving Scoob! and Artemis Fowl to streaming and digital exclusives, AMC has not barred them from playing films. Still, both WarnerMedia and Disney heads have made similar comments about looking at their distribution options."

i also think depends where they are coming from - as someone who lives near NYC and seen what things are like here - it is going to take a while before I am comfortable traveling and easing social distancing

But people in other areas that haven't been hit as hard might be more comfortable

Economic uncertainty may also play a big part in people's decision to travel to Disney as well. I don't think the economy may rebound as as fast as some are predicting. For out of state visitors, combine the issues with travel and social distancing and now add in the uncertain unemployment future and Disney may have to offer some huge incentives to get visitors as they ramp up through the phases of opening.

I already cancelled my November trip for this year as I'm in a similar situation living in a hard hit area outside of Philly. I have no interest in getting on a airplane any time soon and also may not have a job in the coming months dues to the economic downturn and corporate cutbacks.

If people thought 2008 or post 9/11 attendance was down, we could potentially be heading into the worst economic downturn of the modern area, and the last thing on the minds of many will be a Disney vacation.

The OG Star Wars land plan. Echo Lake, Carsland in the backlot, and other Pixar properties as well.

https://blogmickey.com/2020/04/star...stunt-show-and-more-planned-to-be-demolished/
Didn't see anything about any Pixar properties in that article. Did I miss that?

Interesting insights though on the behind-the-scenes discussions leading up to GE. original plan would have made HS into "Star Wars Land" with not much else left. Glad they didn't go forward with it. It would have saved Star Tours it sounds like. We would have lost Echo Lake and Indiana. Those would be big losses and a bigger blow than just losing GMR (Sorry, the replacement doesn't look near as interesting, frankly).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter