News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just back home after a week(tues to tuesday) at WDW.
News and rumors worthy observations:
-No significant amount of cabins on the other 2 lines of the skyliner, unlike the the line from trinidad to DHS. Trinidad to DHS looked like a full compliment of cabins. When running they looked very smooth. The outer turn had 2 cabins in it. Looked like 3 could fit, buy I think only 2 could be loaded easily.
-The DHS bus depot had paving equipment behind the walls/fence on the 4th. I didn't see it there a few days prior. I suspect they are ready to use it in the bus depot, the painting looked about 90% on the depot yesterday.
-Slinky's tail had returned, looks like a new ring around the base. I'll need to confirm with old photos.
-Spaceship earth broke down several times over several days. It's one of my favorites, and I was trying to ride it. It then broke down when I was on it, for about 15 minutes or so. Wondering if the ride system is generating the refurb rumors on top of the spine project.
-Rhino tour was very cool, and there were some new cheetah's getting use to the Florida heat. I mentioned early the tour is sold out to June.
-I don't know if water taxi driver rumors are any better than bus drivers, but we went to Wilderness. That pilot reported that they had installed a time lapse camera for the build of Reflections. Lots of construction fence there, and light earth moving going on.
-Train is parked at main street station at MK, I assume that means the portion of track between that station and frontier land is replaced.
-Tron is well underway, but nothing really new.
-Painting in pandora is on going.
-Last year at this time I noticed many rides at reduced capacity, like space and pirates only loading one side etc. Certainly didn't seem like reduced ride capacity this year, and the parks were managable, but felt busier than last year at this time.
-Lightning McQueens attraction near RNR could be seen partially from the RNR queue. You could see a frame surround designed for Cruz Rameriez, but Cruz not in place yet.
-Star wars looks good from ground level.
-Didn't notice any walls around or near the monorail station at epcot. I thought I read there were some walls there that might be in prep of security changes.
-edit...the solo cups I think were being used....seemed stronger to use without lids.

I think that's all I have.
Stayed at Jambo house at AKL for the first time. Really love the facility, but the location killed it for me, the bus service just was too long to get everywhere other than AK. Rented DVC points, and I know there is reduced housekeeping in that scenario....but we got zero which is odd, but they did come in and grab trash (no towel service)which I assume is part of the security checks. We were also foolish enough to go on a DVC tour, this is going to cost me. ;)

Train is parked at main street station at MK, I assume that means the portion of track between that station and frontier land is replaced.
Yep the train has been parked there since it went down. They have ripped up the track between Main Street and Frontierland.

Didn't notice any walls around or near the monorail station at epcot. I thought I read there were some walls there that might be in prep of security changes.

Those walls came down recently and it appears it was only some underground work. Permits were filed yesterday for entrance work to begin.

Stayed at Jambo house at AKL for the first time. Really love the facility, but the location killed it for me, the bus service just was too long to get everywhere other than AK. Rented DVC points, and I know there is reduced housekeeping in that scenario....but we got zero which is odd, but they did come in and grab trash (no towel service)which I assume is part of the security checks. We were also foolish enough to go on a DVC tour, this is going to cost me. ;)

DVC room cleaning is supposed to be every 4th day.

Thanks for the detailed report @sachilles. I’m curious to know what “compensation” you received for the tour; it’s always being asked about. And if you decide to buy resale, it’ll cost you...a lot less. :P

Thanks for the detailed report @sachilles. I’m curious to know what “compensation” you received for the tour; it’s always being asked about. And if you decide to buy resale, it’ll cost you...a lot less. :P
$150 gift card and 3 anytime fastpasses for each person in my family.
Already dipped into the DVC forums. This will be about as much fun as buying a new/used car. ugg. We'd want studios, and copper creek seems light on that inventory, and that isn't a great fit.

Yep the train has been parked there since it went down. They have ripped up the track between Main Street and Frontierland.

Those walls came down recently and it appears it was only some underground work. Permits were filed yesterday for entrance work to begin.

DVC room cleaning is supposed to be every 4th day.
Yeah, we received zero attention other than trash for the entire stay. Was unsure what the interval was. Not terribly bothered by it, but seemed odd as housekeeping seemed to be on our hall 24/7. Didn't care enough to ask....until we ran out of TP.

$150 gift card and 3 anytime fastpasses for each person in my family.
Already dipped into the DVC forums. This will be about as much fun as buying a new/used car. ugg. We'd want studios, and copper creek seems light on that inventory, and that isn't a great fit.

I think CCV is currently the only DVC that you can purchase new from Disney at WDW. I have heard that it's near impossible to purchase at an already sold out DVC from Disney. Plus, it's cheaper to do resale. Then there's all the pro/cons of Disney vs resale. We are staying at CCV for the first time in about 2 weeks and the first time renting points. We are not DVC owners. It's just the 3 of us, so a studio is fine. We don't always stay at deluxes, so I really wonder how much value there is in DVC for us. Depending upon what I compare it to, it would take 9-11 years to pay off, excluding maintenance, buying about the minimum. I am thinking we will just rent points from others.

I think CCV is currently the only DVC that you can purchase new from Disney at WDW. I have heard that it's near impossible to purchase at an already sold out DVC from Disney. Plus, it's cheaper to do resale. Then there's all the pro/cons of Disney vs resale. We are staying at CCV for the first time in about 2 weeks and the first time renting points. We are not DVC owners. It's just the 3 of us, so a studio is fine. We don't always stay at deluxes, so I really wonder how much value there is in DVC for us. Depending upon what I compare it to, it would take 9-11 years to pay off, excluding maintenance, buying about the minimum. I am thinking we will just rent points from others.
And Aulani. Those two you can buy direct currently.

And Aulani. Those two you can buy direct currently.
Actually any resort can be bought direct just isn’t necessarily instant because of waitlists and the process of Disney to get points back. The only three resorts that are nearly impossible to buy direct are Grand Floridian, Grand Californian, and Beach Club (DVC claims the waitlists are too long to add anyone to these three). But Disney gets many points back through ROFR and foreclosure sales.

Though Disney does typically price these much higher than buying resale would cost.

Well, cheap plug but if you haven’t seen them the DIS Unplugged just started doing shows on DVC - first episode was a 101 overview and 2nd episode was about buying resale

I know the topic of “how crowded will the after hours hard ticket events get” comes up a bit so thought I would post this here

The AK one last night was sold out and per BlogMickey:

@Blog_Mickey: Flight of Passage was posted at 20 minutes, and we were into the first pre-show room in 16 minutes. Total experience time of less than 30 minutes on a sold out Disney After Hours event https://twitter.com/Blog_Mickey/status/1103147327370522624/photo/1

Also, in separate tweet said that’s River Journey was a walk on

So seems they are keeping max number of tickets relatively low

I think that's all I have.

If you're staying less than 8 nights, you get Towel service on day 4 (unless you hang up your towels - they only take floor towels). If you stay more than 8 nights you get full cleaning on day 3, trash & towel on day 7, and then it repeats.

Security checks are trash service every day I believe.

We usually make note of the day and throw our towels into the tub if we want them refreshed.

And I love AKL but we also only travel with a car. It is farther away but I think the theming makes up for it. We also only go there every few years.

I realize none of this is news. I've been half hoping that SWGE is only open for previews when we go in Nov, and that we manage to get in. We managed day 1 Pandora DVC previews and it was amazing! It's going to be dicey though because we're offsite this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter