• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here we go with the Epcot thing again. I first hit these boards around the time the Frozen ride was announced for Norway.

As you can see, now that it has been opened a few years it was the total end to everything you once loved about Epcot. It destroyed the educational context of the world pavilion and now Epcot is desolate because of this.

Wait a second.... how can this be? Epcot is still standing? People still go? There are very very long lines for this Frozen ride? My god... the sky didn't fall afterall!

I get there are still hard feelings with some people on that ride, but that is more because some folks don't like change and others simply hated to see a ride they enjoyed go away. But to hide behind arguments like "that is not what Epcot was intended to be" and "it goes against the meaning of Epcot!" are straight out ridiculous.

Epcot as it opened in 1982 isn't even what Epcot was meant to be. It has always been a mish-mash of some of the ideas Walt had, some of the ideas Roy had, and a bunch of other crap thrown in to actually make people want to buy a ticket. The truth is, you have no idea what the point of Epcot was, because neither did they.

I don't see anyone bemoaning the fact that Tomorrowland jumped the shark when it got rid of the Monsanto House of the Future or the Crane Bathroom of Tomorrow. Surprise surprise, Tomorrowland was primarily a huge corporate sponsored look into how a few brands were going to change your life in the next 20-30 years. And that was actually under the supervision of Walt. So I do know what the actual intention of Tomorrowland was, because unlike Epcot, Walt defined it explicitly. So where are the champions that we return to a commercialized propaganda Tomorrowland? "Shut those rides down and show me some poster boards about vacuum cleaners Uncle Walt!". Yea... I didn't think so.

This is Disney people. You know, one of the biggest corporations full of the most intellectual properties in the world. They would be STUPID not to leverage that, whether it jives with your personal definition of Epcot or not. The Disney parks are not time capsules. Epcot is only what it is because it couldn't be what Walt wanted. Next time you or someone else says, "This isn't what Epcot was intended to be" you need to stop and remind yourself that Epcot was never *intended* to be a theme park at all.

The irony is, the biggest criticism of Epcot is that they don't spend any money on it. Yet when they do make changes to it, it seems there is a large contingent of folks who only want them to recreate things from the past or attractions that closely mimic how things used to be. How many times do you re-tread Figment before you move on? The character is cute. The ride.... at best is a relic from the 90's.

The hard truth is, Norway's pavilion is just as "educational" now as it was before. The ride full of nords and trolls has been replaced by....... a ride full of nords and trolls. Astounding.

And for those of you who think Guardians isn't a kids movie..... it is plain that you don't have kids. My 4 year old is glued to the Starlord "mp3 player" shaped like a cassette deck that can store 3 minutes of recorded audio. He brought it to me and asked me to "put that star lord song on there", by which I found through trial and error he meant M r. Blue Sky by E.L.O.

When I play Lego Marvel 2 with him, he picks Starlord and found very quickly that if he held the action button down he would put his headphones on and start dancing around. So that is what he does. For hours. On end. Looping the same handful of songs.... incessantly....

So good riddance Ellen. Hasta la vista bad Circle of Life movie. Bring on Star Lord and Elsa and other things that actually make my kids want me to take them to the park where I can eat good food and have a stiff drink and no longer follow that up with a 45 minute ride through Ellen being a petty human who hates her old roomate for being <gasp>... smart!

Last edited:
Here we go with the Epcot thing again. I first hit these boards around the time the Frozen ride was announced for Norway.

As you can see, now that it has been opened a few years it was the total end to everything you once loved about Epcot. It destroyed the educational context of the world pavilion and now Epcot is desolate because of this.

Wait a second.... how can this be? Epcot is still standing? People still go? There are very very long lines for this Frozen ride? My god... the sky didn't fall afterall!

I get there are still hard feelings with some people on that ride, but that is more because some folks don't like change and others simply hated to see a ride they enjoyed go away. But to hide behind arguments like "that is not what Epcot was intended to be" and "it goes against the meaning of Epcot!" are straight out ridiculous.

Epcot as it opened in 1982 isn't even what Epcot was meant to be. It has always been a mish-mash of some of the ideas Walt had, some of the ideas Roy had, and a bunch of other crap thrown in to actually make people want to buy a ticket. The truth is, you have no idea what the point of Epcot was, because neither did they.

I don't see anyone bemoaning the fact that Tomorrowland jumped the shark when it got rid of the Monsanto House of the Future or the Crane Bathroom of Tomorrow.

This is Disney people. You know, one of the biggest corporations full of the most intellectual properties in the world. They would be STUPID not to leverage that, whether it jives with your personal definition of Epcot or not. They Disney parks are not time capsules.

The irony is, the biggest criticism of Epcot is that they don't spend any money on it. Yet when they do make changes to it, it seems there is a large contingent of folks who only want them to recreate things from the past or attractions that closely mimic how things used to be.

The hard truth is, Norway's pavilion is just as "educational" now as it was before. The ride full of nords and trolls has been replaced by....... a ride full of nords and trolls. Astounding.

And for those of you who think Guardians isn't a kids movie..... it is plain that you don't have kids. My 4 year old is glued to the Starlord "mp3 player" shaped like a cassette deck that can store 3 minutes of recorded audio. He brought it to me and asked me to "put that star lord song on there", by which I found through trial and error he meant M r. Blue Sky by E.L.O.

When I play Lego Marvel 2 with him, he picks Starlord and found very quickly that if he held the action button down he would put his headphones on and start dancing around. So that is what he does. For hours. On end. Looping the same handful of songs.... incessantly....

So good riddance Ellen. Hasta la vista bad Circle of Life movie. Bring on Star Lord and Elsa and other things that actually make my kids want me to take them to the park where I can eat good food and have a stiff drink and no longer follow that up with a 45 minute ride through Ellen being a petty human who hates her old roomate for being <gasp>... smart!

I thought people were just saying they wished the Guardians Dance show was near where the Guardians Ride will go rather than in the World Showcase theater :confused3

Yea, because the world showcase is a protected nature preserve and god help anyone who touches it.

Yea, because the world showcase is a protected nature preserve and god help anyone who touches it.
It's themed, like most of WDW. People don't always like to see the themes bleed across. It's why Walt built the tunnels under MK, so cowboys wouldn't walk through Tomorrowland. You are supposed to be immersed in each theme in each place. Bleeding Guardians or Elsa into a place themed to real world cultures and history is simply irritating if you think along those lines. If you don't, that's a fine opinion to have, but many people who understand the history of WDW don't like having a fundamental shift of this sort happening. It's not going to end WDW, but it is jarring.

I don't see anyone bemoaning the fact that Tomorrowland jumped the shark when it got rid of the Monsanto House of the Future or the Crane Bathroom of Tomorrow. Surprise surprise, Tomorrowland was primarily a huge corporate sponsored look into how a few brands were going to change your life in the next 20-30 years. And that was actually under the supervision of Walt. So I do know what the actual intention of Tomorrowland was, because unlike Epcot, Walt defined it explicitly. So where are the champions that we return to a commercialized propaganda Tomorrowland? "Shut those rides down and show me some poster boards about vacuum cleaners Uncle Walt!". Yea... I didn't think so.

This is Disney people. You know, one of the biggest corporations full of the most intellectual properties in the world. They would be STUPID not to leverage that, whether it jives with your personal definition of Epcot or not. The Disney parks are not time capsules. Epcot is only what it is because it couldn't be what Walt wanted. Next time you or someone else says, "This isn't what Epcot was intended to be" you need to stop and remind yourself that Epcot was never *intended* to be a theme park at all.

The irony is, the biggest criticism of Epcot is that they don't spend any money on it. Yet when they do make changes to it, it seems there is a large contingent of folks who only want them to recreate things from the past or attractions that closely mimic how things used to be.

How do you really feel?

However, I do agree with you that I am happy they are putting in elements that will appeal to a larger audience. Our family views EPCOT as a giant food court for the most part. FEA has added interest to our kids, and the other attractions will add interest for us.

How do you really feel?

However, I do agree with you that I am happy they are putting in elements that will appeal to a larger audience. Our family views EPCOT as a giant food court for the most part. FEA has added interest to our kids, and the other attractions will add interest for us.

Our family always loved EPCOT in all the forms it has had - and I am sure we will love it going forward as well. My only wish is that the 4 parks retain the fact that they feel like 4 different parks, and not just 4 different takes on the Magic Kingdom. Feels like the way DHS is changing it is loosing what made it different and is going to be just a different take on immersion than MK has. I am all for change and updates to EPCOT (I LOVE the fact it is getting some, well, love ... and $) but I don't want it to also feel like an extension to MK - retain what Makes EPCOT unique, just update it

So I love adding Rat to France and will love a Mary Poppins ride in the UK. I wasn't crazy about Frozen only because Arendale isn't actually Norway, but it is what it is and I think for what they did they did a good job. I really hope they are able to connect the Guardians ride to the spirit of Future World and maybe why I am grasping onto the fact they mentioned that Peter Quill went to EPCOT as a kid - I hope there are some fun connections and references. Rather than just a cool but random ride

The short of it is I get a real kick out of people deciding what is and what isn't epcot, when the reality is, epcot has never been all that explicitly defined. From the get-go it was a mash of ideas, none of which are even Walt's. The only reason the World Pavilion hasn't changed before now is they didn't want to spend any money on it.

The World Pavilion itself is a pre-internet relic that is practically a parody of the cultures it represents. You might as well build a United States themepark where the Texas pavilion is just people shooting guns while getting covered in spouting oil and yelling 'yeehaw' and the New York pavilion is full of Irish & Italian kids playing baseball across from Ellis Island.

I'm not saying it is totally devoid of any educational value at all, but anyone who has actually traveled has to realize these are theme park caricatures. My kids can learn more about Canada in 15 minutes on the internet than they are going to learn eating at a steak house or listening to Martin Short narrate a 2 decade old video.

Like I said, I understand that people don't like change. Everyone is entitled to their thoughts. But I'm still going to laugh when they hide their disdain for something behind "the original intention of the park" versus their own personal hang-ups.

Hint: The original intention of the park was to make money. I hope that doesn't shock anyone here too much.

Our family always loved EPCOT in all the forms it has had - and I am sure we will love it going forward as well. My only wish is that the 4 parks retain the fact that they feel like 4 different parks, and not just 4 different takes on the Magic Kingdom. Feels like the way DHS is changing it is loosing what made it different and is going to be just a different take on immersion than MK has. I am all for change and updates to EPCOT (I LOVE the fact it is getting some, well, love ... and $) but I don't want it to also feel like an extension to MK - retain what Makes EPCOT unique, just update it

So I love adding Rat to France and will love a Mary Poppins ride in the UK. I wasn't crazy about Frozen only because Arendale isn't actually Norway, but it is what it is and I think for what they did they did a good job. I really hope they are able to connect the Guardians ride to the spirit of Future World and maybe why I am grasping onto the fact they mentioned that Peter Quill went to EPCOT as a kid - I hope there are some fun connections and references. Rather than just a cool but random ride

I agree with that. They need to keep the separate park feel, but keep adding attractions/refurbing empty buildings/lame rides (Figment). I think they actually did a good job with FEA, something I never thought I'd say. But with our three littles, there was no interest in viewing the pavilions. After riding FEA, our kids were actually a little interested to walk through the exhibit and learn some. I think the rat and Poppins can do the same. But to your point, they cant just spread out a new fantasyland and call it a day.

The short of it is I get a real kick out of people deciding what is and what isn't epcot, when the reality is, epcot has never been all that explicitly defined. From the get-go it was a mash of ideas, none of which are even Walt's. The only reason the World Pavilion hasn't changed before now is they didn't want to spend any money on it.

The World Pavilion itself is a pre-internet relic that is practically a parody of the cultures it represents. You might as well build a United States themepark where the Texas pavilion is just people shooting guns while getting covered in spouting oil and yelling 'yeehaw' and the New York pavilion is full of Irish & Italian kids playing baseball across from Ellis Island.

I'm not saying it is totally devoid of any educational value at all, but anyone who has actually traveled has to realize these are theme park caricatures. My kids can learn more about Canada in 15 minutes on the internet than they are going to learn eating at a steak house or listening to Martin Short narrate a 2 decade old video.

Like I said, I understand that people don't like change. Everyone is entitled to their thoughts. But I'm still going to laugh when they hide their disdain for something behind "the original intention of the park" versus their own personal hang-ups.

Hint: The original intention of the park was to make money. I hope that doesn't shock anyone here too much.
World Pavilion? What pavilion are you referring to? World Showcase (which holds 11 pavilions) had changed several times since it opened even adding a country (Morocco).

I'd say this isn't about not liking change. This is about being cohesive with the theme.

Hint: Walt's original vision was to build a futuristic city not a theme park. Things change and yes Disney is about making money but theming and doing things right is what got them to this point.

So then let’s have Iron Man put on a show in Japan. I’m not against IP in Epcot. I’m against Disney not keeping with the themes they created. This dance party would be better suited in Future World.

I agree. I can understand Frozen into Norway (and unlike most, I kind of like it). I like the 3 Caballeros (and while I would personally be sad to see Coco go there because of sentimental reasons, I'd be fine with that as it fits). I like all the princess meetings. I like the idea of using IP to get people to the country, and then letting them learn a bit while they are there. I hate the idea of ignoring theme and just throwing stuff everywhere. I would be mad if they stuck Mulan in Canada. Maybe they will link the dance party to America somehow. Not sure how, but maybe. And if they did, I would be fine with it. Just like I'm fine with a Guardians ride if it links into Tomorrowland. I just hate the idea of completely ignoring theme and putting stuff wherever they can fit it. That is what a regular amusement park is to me, not Disney.

I agree. I can understand Frozen into Norway (and unlike most, I kind of like it). I like the 3 Caballeros (and while I would personally be sad to see Coco go there because of sentimental reasons, I'd be fine with that as it fits). I like all the princess meetings. I like the idea of using IP to get people to the country, and then letting them learn a bit while they are there. I hate the idea of ignoring theme and just throwing stuff everywhere. I would be mad if they stuck Mulan in Canada. Maybe they will link the dance party to America somehow. Not sure how, but maybe. And if they did, I would be fine with it. Just like I'm fine with a Guardians ride if it links into Tomorrowland. I just hate the idea of completely ignoring theme and putting stuff wherever they can fit it. That is what a regular amusement park is to me, not Disney.

Well, they could relate it to America (and possible the UK) based on the music they are using as it is classic music - might be a stretch, especially if they are having an Alien band playing, but hey, it is what it is

Oh, and I assume you meant Guardians links to Futureworld, not Tomorrowland, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter