• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
We did a Viking River cruise that was very similar to this a couple of years ago. Really nice cruise and great opportunity to see Paris and DL Paris with some extra days before or after.

NEWS

Adventures by Disney introduces Southern California Short Escape

The Adventure will showcase Disney-oriented icons such as the Walt Disney Imagineering campus in Glendale, the Walt Disney Studios lot in Burbank with a visit to the Walt Disney Archives, Disneyland (including an exclusive visit to Walt Disney’s famed apartment above the firehouse on
Main Street, U.S.A.), and Walt Disney’s apartment.

Guests will even get to dine at one of Walt Disney’s favorite restaurants; the historic Tam O’Shanter that opened way back in 1922.

sounds really cool!

So almost a smaller Backstage Magic? It does sound really cool.
As @rteetz and others have noted, this sounds like BSM without Hollywood. Not a bad trade off for a shorter trip. IMHO, the Hollywood section of this tour is pretty weak. Perhaps missing the Jim Henson Studio part is a real negative, but the remainder is merely an interesting prelude to the meat of that tour. Remains to be seen what else is cut out of the rest of it...

As @rteetz and others have noted, this sounds like BSM without Hollywood. Not a bad trade off for a shorter trip. IMHO, the Hollywood section of this tour is pretty weak. Perhaps missing the Jim Henson Studio part is a real negative, but the remainder is merely an interesting prelude to the meat of that tour. Remains to be seen what else is cut out of the rest of it...

It cuts the Hollywood day, and it's also shorter time at Disneyland. It keeps the most important day, the Imagineering and the Studio tour, and if it still includes some backstage stuff at Disneyland (I didn't look that close) it would probably contain about 85% of the best stuff of the trip. (The first day at El Captian and Henson studios and such is great, but not A+++ level like the rest.) I mean, I get why people don't do it for the cost, it still ranks as the fourth most expensive vacation we ever took, and the ones above it were all at least 11 days and this was only 6, but so, so worth it.

It cuts the Hollywood day, and it's also shorter time at Disneyland. It keeps the most important day, the Imagineering and the Studio tour, and if it still includes some backstage stuff at Disneyland (I didn't look that close) it would probably contain about 85% of the best stuff of the trip. (The first day at El Captian and Henson studios and such is great, but not A+++ level like the rest.) I mean, I get why people don't do it for the cost, it still ranks as the fourth most expensive vacation we ever took, and the ones above it were all at least 11 days and this was only 6, but so, so worth it.

The Jim Henson studio was in no way a highlight for me. It was neat to get to go inside and interact with a puppeteer and hear the stories, but there really wasn't any Muppet stuff there.

My ABD backstage magic was probably the best vacation I ever took. We still are friendly with and meet up with about 10 people we met on the trip.

Imagineering was probably the best thing ever. I still have my Lucky autograph in a place of prominence.

I’ve been wanting to take an ABD trip for ages. The cost always gets me, but I’ve heard nothing but great things about them.

The thing with that tour is that, while I’d LOVE to do it, it’s hard to justify spending $4,400 when we live here.... but I don’t know of another way to get some of those experiences without it :/

I am confused by this as the runDisney/New Balance deal had ended. Maybe they are just doing non-running Disney shoes now? I have four pair of the runDisney ones.
I have seen some of those, they are so cool! I may or may not have looked on ebay at the Toy Story Midway Mania! ones... haha

News/Rumor

According to a poster on WDWMagic Mickey's Not So Scary will begin August 24th and have three parties in August. The 2PM parade test and 6PM party start test worked well so that will continue as well.

We've been tossing around doing a trip that last week of August ... never crossed my mind we could go to a Halloween party

Maybe they should add Easter parties or something, and then they can be like EPCOT and just have each festival/party season run into each other so there is something going on year-round
They are working on it. Having 2 tickets per day definitely seems like the goal. Especially as one of those tickets is "non-discounted" even if you visit for multiple days. Think about it this way, if you come for a week, that 6th and 7th day ticket isn't really all that valuable to Disney. The discounted price is minimal compared to one day tickets. The hard ticket parties though? Those prices are almost full freight for 1 day without hopper. It's a huge benefit to get someone to buy those tickets, even if they drop a 6th or 7th day.

I freaking hate the way Disney is turning MK into a 2 ticket day, but people seem to love it. Personally, after going to MVMCP, I wouldn't do it again. It just wasn't that special for me. But clearly I'm not in the majority since demand for these parties is massive.

Maybe they should add Easter parties or something, and then they can be like EPCOT and just have each festival/party season run into each other so there is something going on year-round

That or tickets are just going to become half day tickets. Buy your tickets til 4, it's $100 if you want to stay after that.

They are working on it. Having 2 tickets per day definitely seems like the goal. Especially as one of those tickets is "non-discounted" even if you visit for multiple days. Think about it this way, if you come for a week, that 6th and 7th day ticket isn't really all that valuable to Disney. The discounted price is minimal compared to one day tickets. The hard ticket parties though? Those prices are almost full freight for 1 day without hopper. It's a huge benefit to get someone to buy those tickets, even if they drop a 6th or 7th day.

I freaking hate the way Disney is turning MK into a 2 ticket day, but people seem to love it. Personally, after going to MVMCP, I wouldn't do it again. It just wasn't that special for me. But clearly I'm not in the majority since demand for these parties is massive.

honestly that is one reason we have never done either the Halloween or Christmas parties - just mentally I have trouble dealing with "wait, I paid for tickets for the week, why do I need to pay for another ticket to get in?" - I know you don't have to have a regular ticket for the day you do the party and can use the party ticket to come in at 4, but like you said, once you get up to like 5 days adding days 6 and 7 are very inexpensive

honestly that is one reason we have never done either the Halloween or Christmas parties - just mentally I have trouble dealing with "wait, I paid for tickets for the week, why do I need to pay for another ticket to get in?" - I know you don't have to have a regular ticket for the day you do the party and can use the party ticket to come in at 4, but like you said, once you get up to like 5 days adding days 6 and 7 are very inexpensive

Same for us. We've gone during Christmas or Halloween season for the past 7 years in a row and have never done a party and have no plans to in the future.

“Welcome to our Presidents’ Day patriotic party, where you can dance off with your favorite commander and chief in liberty square, view a special ‘family feud’ edition of the hall of presidents, and snack on special American themed goodies for a cool price of 99.95!”

Guess I should’ve majored in marketing and hopped on the Disney train huh? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter