News Round Up 2017

Surprised that no one is talking about what this means in regards to signature dining at WDW?

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/08/selec...e-appetizers-valet-parking-florida-residents/

Why do 4 restaurants at 4 different locations have anything to do with signature dining in general? These are expensive restaurants with no characters and very unique menus. Therefore, they're not very appealing to the average resort guests with kids nor are they seen as a "good value" for their dining plan credits. We as Florida residents know they're a bit overpriced and fru-fru and tend to avoid them. So, they're enticing me to go to Flying Fish with free parking and an app to fill their spots and maybe get us to buy a TiW if we don't have one already and I will bet that's the hook. They're trying to sell TiW, it has nothing to do with signature dining.

Though it is just for people that already have APs or DVC - so not really attracting "new" people ... I just see as trying to get those people to spend more money on site at restaurants that aren't filling up and/or trying to make gem feel more appreciated by giving them more perks

I bet they're trying to sell TiW cards.

Did you like free Valet parking? Buy a TiW and you can have it. (Even at Disney Springs when I didn't go there to eat. I still parked my car at the Valet and got it for free by showing my card)

Did you like the free app? Did you know with a TiW card you can receive 20% off food and drinks?

Again, these are 4 restaurants with non traditional menus with high prices and no characters.

That being said I'm booking one of these when I'm there next month. I'm getting my free app and my 20% TiW discount.

I bet they're trying to sell TiW cards.

Did you like free Valet parking? Buy a TiW and you can have it. (Even at Disney Springs when I didn't go there to eat. I still parked my car at the Valet and got it for free by showing my card)

Did you like the free app? Did you know with a TiW card you can receive 20% off food and drinks?

Again, these are 4 restaurants with non traditional menus with high prices and no characters.

That being said I'm booking one of these when I'm there next month. I'm getting my free app and my 20% TiW discount.

Only one of those restaurants (Jiko) is a non-traditional high end menu - the other 3 are quite literally Americanized "meat and fish" venues...

Only one of those restaurants (Jiko) is a non-traditional high end menu - the other 3 are quite literally Americanized "meat and fish" venues...

Meh... They're a little "higer end" than a Chilis or at least try to be. Example from Artist Point:

Char-grilled Buffalo Striploin Steak$43.00
with marble potatoes, garden vegetables, and shiraz gastrique

Can you get Buffalo at Fridays?

To me- this coupled with the "extra" DVC and AP discounts- means there are bigger problems. I think we are seeing that line @lockedoutlogic refers to getting closer to being hit.

The big question will be to see if this extends beyond September 30th. Mid-August to end of September is normally a slower time of year, and though they still give out Free Dining, it's not as widespread as it used to be, and undoubtably restaurants like Jiko are not the first thing that families with Free Dining are lining up to go to.

I do have to say, of the many problems with their pricing policies, pricing out locals at some of these nicer restaurants is a very dangerous game. I would guess that many of the Signature restaurants get a higher percentage of locals than say Crystal Palace. Are locals not showing up when they can probably get very nice meals for much lower prices elsewhere.

The big question will be to see if this extends beyond September 30th. Mid-August to end of September is normally a slower time of year, and though they still give out Free Dining, it's not as widespread as it used to be, and undoubtably restaurants like Jiko are not the first thing that families with Free Dining are lining up to go to.

I do have to say, of the many problems with their pricing policies, pricing out locals at some of these nicer restaurants is a very dangerous game. I would guess that many of the Signature restaurants get a higher percentage of locals than say Crystal Palace. Are locals not showing up when they can probably get very nice meals for much lower prices elsewhere.

We are there last week of September and ressies, including signatures, are actually pretty hard to come by. Timing of this all kind of puzzles me.

Meh... They're a little "higer end" than a Chilis or at least try to be. Example from Artist Point:

No, but my point is that its traditional Americanized high end...you can get buffalo at any higher end establishment...and that dish is a straightforward steak, potato, veg, and a wine sauce smear (if we bring it down to normal food speak)...so, when you said they were "unique" menus, they're totally not...except for Jiko...

Now, obviously, folks who want the high end are finding much better food and deals to be had around Orlando...or this time period brings few folks who want high end...either/or b/c Disney wouldn't be sitting with empty tables in the res system otherwise and offering every deal they can throw against the wall...

Last edited:

Call me crazy but I didn't see it as them comparing it to Chilis or Fridays but rather explaining the food is more enticing to the average American palatte.

*This is me not having looked at the menus*

Rumor update

Disneyland micechat rumor update! Pixar Pier and much more!

http://micechat.com/168562-disney-pixar-pier/

Pixar Pier and Marvel Land leave me concerned about Californian Adventure. It has been my favorite USA Disney park and I'd hate to see it lose all of its 'California influences' and just replaced with IP. I think the park is themed very well in its current state.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ But I also love Pixar so I guess I'll live with the changes.

Oh, and that item is now gone as of July 2017, replaced by a $49 buffalo dish...and we wonder why no one is booking these places...

No, but my point is that its traditional Americanized high end...you can get buffalo at any higher end establishment...and that dish is a straightforward steak, potato, veg, and a wine sauce smear (if we bring it down to normal food speak)...so, when you said they were "unique" menus, there totally not...except for Jiko...

Now, obviously, folks who want the high end are finding much better food and deals to be had around Orlando...or this time period brings few folks who want high end...either/or b/c Disney wouldn't be sitting with empty tables in the res system otherwise and offering every deal they can throw against the wall...

Ya know, I guess when it's put that way I'd have to sort of agree. Jiko is definitely unique, but I also feel that way about Flying Fish. The rest I can concede on. You are very correct about finding better fare off property. In May, my husband and I did a couples trip. For the first time, we ventured off property to eat. First, we were staying at CBR and we hated the food choices. Second, for the food choices available, we could get way better if we got in our car and drove 3 miles. We ate at a Mexican place just outside the gate for Disney Springs and loved it. We paid maybe $35 for the two of us to eat. Then, one cold rainy night, we ventured off property to a very nice Japanese restaurant at a strip mall behind Animal Kingdom. We paid about $40 to eat there, but we had some killer sushi. Now, none of these are high end, but it got us to start looking around. We actually enjoyed our experience off property and mentioned how we were sorry we didn't do it sooner. Now, for the higher end meals, we did eat at Disney and will again, but for quickies, off property was actually better.

Call me crazy but I didn't see it as them comparing it to Chilis or Fridays but rather explaining the food is more enticing to the average American palatte.

*This is me not having looked at the menus*

YOU'RE CRAZY!

Yeah I guess you're right. Most of Disney's menus are very Americanized, but I kinda feel the signature ones have something that's not typical fare.

Pixar Pier and Marvel Land leave me concerned about Californian Adventure. It has been my favorite USA Disney park and I'd hate to see it lose all of its 'California influences' and just replaced with IP. I think the park is themed very well in its current state.
Couldn't agree more.

Hawkeye had a West Coast Avengers team for years in the Marvel Comics ... I doubt Disney would dig that deep for theming, but you could link Marvel to California if you wanted to go far enough. More than likely California Adventure will go the way of EPCOT

Edited: was distracted.

I was really just looking for thoughts on the move by WDW. I think it means they simply have priced themselves out of the market for similar offerings. I don't think anyone is disagreeing.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter