News Round Up 2017

Aren't a lot of decorations already down? I remember reading the EPCOT tree is already down. Maybe the Magic Kingdom stuff is still up?

They take the Epcot tree down for NYE, can't remember why though. All other decorations should still be up. I just bet everyone is dying for the return of the crane. :-)

Aren't a lot of decorations already down? I remember reading the EPCOT tree is already down. Maybe the Magic Kingdom stuff is still up?

They take the Epcot tree down for NYE, can't remember why though. All other decorations should still be up. I just bet everyone is dying for the return of the crane. :-)

I believe it is for the NYE fireworks they do at EPCOT that they have to take that main tree down, but yeah, the rest of the decorations should still be up

If you don't mind me asking, what are the perks? I don't remember hearing about any (though to be fair it's not something I've sought out too hard).
I had a wonky face attached but it didn't show. There are none. In years past there were although it's been so long I can't remember what they were.

Everything is up. Gingerbread house at GF was getting taken down this morning. MK won't get taken down until Jan. 11th. AK and DHS will be up until the 5th and 6th. Disney Springs until January 8th. I'm hoping to see the drone show tonight.

I've gone this week the last two years and never experienced this. However I've never come to WDW for marathon weekend this early. I usually arrive tonight or tomorrow.
I think the big difference this year is how the holidays fell and how schools took their breaks. I know my kids don't go back until the 10th. Had I realized this 9 months ago, I would be running this weekend too. Looking on MDE, it looks crazy there. Thanks for all the posts. Touring plans says the crowds go down on Friday.

Everything is up. Gingerbread house at GF was getting taken down this morning. MK won't get taken down until Jan. 11th. AK and DHS will be up until the 5th and 6th. Disney Springs until January 8th. I'm hoping to see the drone show tonight.

Yay! We'll be arriving the 7th, so I'm glad to hear we'll still see the decorations at MK, at least.

I've gone this week the last two years and never experienced this. However I've never come to WDW for marathon weekend this early. I usually arrive tonight or tomorrow.

We were this time last year too. The crowds weren't bad at all. We moved this years' vacation back a month because I figured this week would be nuts - between families trying to use a short school week to get in a longer trip at WDW, marathon folks, and people who have traditionally gone this time of year as it's usually a relatively low crowd week that still has Xmas decorations without parties messing up the evenings. I think the way the holiday fell this year created a perfect storm for this situation. I was pretty surprised when the crowd calendars were showing relatively low crowd predictions.

Of course, I have kids in school, so I'm always thinking about the breaks. This week was pretty appealing to us because we are out Monday and Tuesday. Well, until I realized it was going to be appealing to everyone else too!

I had a wonky face attached but it didn't show. There are none. In years past there were although it's been so long I can't remember what they were.
Well, you get to be invited to the stockholder's annual meeting...we actually did go to one many years ago, and it was cool to see what was in the pipe for the future...other than that, the only PERK is the little dividend paid back into my few shares, and the ability to start off comments with, "As a stockholder..." That's about it. :upsidedow

I think the big difference this year is how the holidays fell and how schools took their breaks. I know my kids don't go back until the 10th. Had I realized this 9 months ago, I would be running this weekend too. Looking on MDE, it looks crazy there. Thanks for all the posts. Touring plans says the crowds go down on Friday.
Interesting my sisters and every school by us in Wisconsin went back today.

Well, you get to be invited to the stockholder's annual meeting...we actually did go to one many years ago, and it was cool to see what was in the pipe for the future...other than that, the only PERK is the little dividend paid back into my few shares, and the ability to start off comments with, "As a stockholder..." That's about it. :upsidedow

True. Would be interesting to attend but the cost of my trip would probably wipe out my gains. My memory could be foggy but I believe there actually were some benefits that were helpful in traveling to WDW.

Not sure about today, but we were at EPCOT on a low crowd day in December and they were only running 2 of the 3 theaters on SOARIN. Also the one we rode only had 2 of the 3 rows in use.

That actually irritated me. We intentionally go when it's slow to avoid crowds/waits and they make me wait anyway? That is the type of thing that will make me spend my money elsewhere. It really hit a nerve.
Absolutely my biggest pet peeve as well!

If you don't mind me asking, what are the perks? I don't remember hearing about any (though to be fair it's not something I've sought out too hard).

At one time, there were lots of perks of being a Disney shareholder. Shareholders received ticket and resorts discounts. The shareholder meeting once alternated between Disneyland and Walt Disney World. During the Eisner days, all shareholders who attended the annual meeting received a free one day theme park pass. When Disney did away with the discounts, shareholders were given a free Magic Kingdom Club gold card which provided ticket and resort discounts. The internet and Disney discussion boards eventually killed the shareholder discounts as people would just purchase one share of Disney stock in order to qualify for the discounts.

True. Would be interesting to attend but the cost of my trip would probably wipe out my gains. My memory could be foggy but I believe there actually were some benefits that were helpful in traveling to WDW.
Must have been before we got ours...I think that was in 1995 or so...

The one time we did go it was being held in Anaheim, and we planned it around a Disneyland visit.

Must have been before we got ours...I think that was in 1995 or so...

The one time we did go it was being held in Anaheim, and we planned it around a Disneyland visit.
I can't remember the timeline. I purchased my initial shares in 1986 which was just prior to a stock split. Seems like the benefits were completely nixed just prior to Eisner's ouster, but could be wrong!

At one time, there were lots of perks of being a Disney shareholder. Shareholders received ticket and resorts discounts. The shareholder meeting once alternated between Disneyland and Walt Disney World. During the Eisner days, all shareholders who attended the annual meeting received a free one day theme park pass. When Disney did away with the discounts, shareholders were given a free Magic Kingdom Club gold card which provided ticket and resort discounts. The internet and Disney discussion boards eventually killed the shareholder discounts as people would just purchase one share of Disney stock in order to qualify for the discounts.

Bit of a bummer but I can understand the rationale. Be nice if they had something if you had like 10 shares and then a bit more of you have 100 or something like that

I'd argue only one is limited. AK only lost some meet and greets and the construction is off to the side not in your way. As for DHS you have 25 acres of land under construction.

Listen...

I won't convince you and you won't convince me...

And neither of us is 100% right or wrong...

But animal Kingdom was limited when it opened because it was underbuilt and overbudget...and managements decision to not allocate the funds till now to fix it has been a black mark.

I give them credit for trying now...even with what I believe to be more mistakes. "A" for effort.

We know the how's and The Who's and the why's. No need to rehash. And the "it's MY favorite" doesn't change a thing.

The fact is that it was designed and funded to handle as many people as magic kingdom and Epcot...actually more...and has not come that close. It cost in real dollars 8x what magic kingdom and studios did and twice Epcot (the biggest money pit in Disney history...but they finished).

That's what Ima saying...and that is part of the reason magic kingdom is the pixie pounding mess that it is - frankly - today....

Now I have to go get inline for mine train...I can see the end of it from my house ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter