News Round Up 2016

So Disney should get credit for Star Wars? eg: someone else's design?

They are not building Mos Eisley or Maz's castle from Force Awakens... they are creating a new world to immerse people in. Versus what Universal did which was take the movie interpretations of the towns described in the book and try to closely recreate them. There is more freedom/risk/reward for what the Imagineers are doing than what Universal did.

They are not building Mos Eisley or Maz's castle from Force Awakens... they are creating a new world to immerse people in. Versus what Universal did which was take the movie interpretations of the towns described in the book and try to closely recreate them. There is more freedom/risk/reward for what the Imagineers are doing than what Universal did.

The short of it is, the characters and locations exist in a movie. But Universal turned that into an explorable themepark. Taking the carefully curated glimpse of Hogwarts/Diagon Alley/etc we get in the movies and turning it into a living-breathing space filled with food, rides, and entertainment is not easy.

Just because they didn't actually come up with the IP themselves doesn't detract anything from the world they have created. Absolutely nothing about the HP movies made it easier for them to build that land. If anything, the detail in the movies made it harder - as the rabbid fan base meant they had even more to live up to.

The short of it is, the characters and locations exist in a movie. But Universal turned that into an explorable themepark. Taking the carefully curated glimpse of Hogwarts/Diagon Alley/etc we get in the movies and turning it into a living-breathing space filled with food, rides, and entertainment is not easy.

Just because they didn't actually come up with the IP themselves doesn't detract anything from the world they have created. Absolutely nothing about the HP movies made it easier for them to build that land. If anything, the detail in the movies made it harder - as the rabbid fan base meant they had even more to live up to.

All Travis meant (and I'll let him speak for himself) is that when it came to HP Land... Universal had to execute... and they did to a high quality. Everyone agrees.

When it comes to Star Wars, Disney is taking the approach to create a new world/story. They have to first design the look and feel, build a back story (both of which already existed for HP), and then execute to that created look and story. Universal could have screwed up the execution and everyone been upset. Disney can actually execute brilliantly, but if they screw up the look and back story... the fans won't care how well they executed, they won't feel connected. As long as Universal executed... the fans were always going to be connected to Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, and Diagon Alley. They deserve credit for doing so well, most everyone agrees. But there is no doubt that Disney is taking on more risk. I agree with Travis there.

So Disney should get credit for Star Wars? eg: someone else's design?

They are building an entirely new land inspired by an existing IP. So, yes - Disney will deserve pretty much complete credit for the success (or failure) of the new Star Wars land. I don't say it to take away from Uni's accomplishment, but they pretty much literally re-created an existing movie set, and IIRC they had the people who designed the initial set helping them do it.

Uni deserves kudos for HP, no doubt. 100%. It is incredibly well-executed. I do not dispute that one bit. It's like a beautiful copy of a masterwork of art, somewhat expanded upon under close supervision from the master (or mistress, in this case) and his apprentices.

SW, Pandora, are more like brand new pieces of art INSPIRED by an existing masterwork but with a brand new, original composition. It is my belief that they will be executed just as well, and probably better, than Diagon Alley and Hogwarts.

An example: does Kong maintain the same level of amazing as Diagon Alley? I have not personally experienced it, but the consensus seems to be that people were generally underwhelmed. Diagon Alley is Universal Creative under the direction of a master, Kong is Universal Creative left to their own (heavily screen-reliant) devices. Enough said?

I think perhaps another factor in it's success/adulation is that HP/Diagon Alley came during a dry period in the Orlando parks in terms of new attractions/environments and as such was a complete breath of fresh air, and people fell in love. I was so pumped up for Forbidden Journey from what I had heard on the Dis Uni podcast, and when I actually rode it there was a feeling of 'is that all there is'? Sacrilege, I know. It was the budget, haunted house-looking Dementors that really put my over the edge.

I could bang this drum forever, but I've probably already said too much.

(I'm starting to feel the need to insert a Dean Marino-type 'just my opinion' disclaimer on the bottom of my posts ;))

All Travis meant (and I'll let him speak for himself) is that when it came to HP Land... Universal had to execute... and they did to a high quality. Everyone agrees.

When it comes to Star Wars, Disney is taking the approach to create a new world/story. They have to first design the look and feel, build a back story (both of which already existed for HP), and then execute to that created look and story. Universal could have screwed up the execution and everyone been upset. Disney can actually execute brilliantly, but if they screw up the look and back story... the fans won't care how well they executed, they won't feel connected. As long as Universal executed... the fans were always going to be connected to Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, and Diagon Alley. They deserve credit for doing so well, most everyone agrees. But there is no doubt that Disney is taking on more risk. I agree with Travis there.

I think it was an unnecessary one - I think so many existing locales could have been recreated and (done well), evoked the love that HP lands get. Tatooine, Coruscant, Dagobah, Jakku, Cloud City, the Death Star, the Star Destroyers (or a combo of a few) - you didn't have to remake the wheel...Disney is choosing to do so...

I think it was an unnecessary one - I think so many existing locales could have been recreated and (done well), evoked the love that HP lands get. Tatooine, Coruscant, Dagobah, Jakku, Cloud City, the Death Star, the Star Destroyers (or a combo of a few) - you didn't have to remake the wheel...Disney is choosing to do so...

I'm glad they haven't because unique planet and backstory can be more times less than copying something in an existing film that may never be revisited in a future film

I recently sold all my Disney stock because of this - I think Disney is in deep doo-doo without a real solution.

Only thing I can think of is to go full on streaming themselves (via buying Netflix or another service) and own the content and the distribution

As someone from the UK who's not too familiar with American sport but why are people leaving ESPN? Is it just too expensive? Is the content poor? Or are you tied into high subscriptions in order to receive it?

As someone from the UK who's not too familiar with American sport but why are people leaving ESPN? Is it just too expensive? Is the content poor? Or are you tied into high subscriptions in order to receive it?
Its due to people getting rid of cable. ESPN subscriptions are tied to basic cable packages so if you get rid of cable you get rid of ESPN. Therefore the more people leaving cable the more subscribers ESPN loses.

you wouldn't own all the content. but espn could offer streaming service for sports. funny that they are losing subscribers but that means that the millenials aren't that into sports since espn has baseball basketball and of course football including college bowl games, the playoffs and championship game. the only thing they haven't had was the superbowl.

They are building an entirely new land inspired by an existing IP. So, yes - Disney will deserve pretty much complete credit for the success (or failure) of the new Star Wars land. I don't say it to take away from Uni's accomplishment, but they pretty much literally re-created an existing movie set, and IIRC they had the people who designed the initial set helping them do it.

(I'm starting to feel the need to insert a Dean Marino-type 'just my opinion' disclaimer on the bottom of my posts ;))

LOL, I'm not saying your opinion is invalid or even wrong, I'm just adding my own.

I think the main difference in our POV is I don't think this "new" land will be quite so "new". I think it will be new in the same was The Force Awakens was new. Sure, it had some new people and locations, but it was all extremely familiar at the same time. We already know it will have the Millennium Falcon. We also know it will have a cantina of sorts. By making a "new" one, rather than the Tattooine one, it gives them the freedom to take the best of the known one and mix it around anyway they see fit. To me, it seems more difficult to actually build the known Cantina - just as it would be more difficult to build Diagon Alley versus a generic alley full of wizarding supplies that is simply based on Diagon Alley.

This whole notion of a whole new land with a whole new backstory is exciting, until you consider everything Star Wars so far has been firmly rooted in it's nostalgia. Force Awakens was just a bit too similar feeling to sit well with me. It's by no means a bad movie... I just felt like I had seen it already. And Rogue One will be a fun 2 hours, but I'm not sure if that's because I get to see some old faces or because of the new ones. Even if it's a bit of both, Darth Vadar is front and center in those commercials/trailers. They are banking on that "known" factor.

So it seems reasonable to think they will do the same with the land.

Could it be a totally unique place that fits snuggly within Star Wars cannon? I suppose. Knowing what we know about how Disney has treated that IP so far and the risks they would be willing to taske with something this big, is it likely? No way.

An example: does Kong maintain the same level of amazing as Diagon Alley? I have not personally experienced it, but the consensus seems to be that people were generally underwhelmed. Diagon Alley is Universal Creative under the direction of a master, Kong is Universal Creative left to their own (heavily screen-reliant) devices. Enough said?

Oh, and here you are comparing a ride to a themed area. That's like comparing the snow white mine train to tomorrowland as a whole. Hogsmeade & Diagon Alley are areas. Kong is simply a ride. There is a fairly big difference.

If Kong had several stores, a restaurant, maybe a smaller ride on the side, interactive areas, and people in costumes walking around, then I'm sure people would have felt differently about it.

It may not be necessary - but it also isn't a bad idea. With going to an existing world - they become somewhat beholden to it. If they are making Tatooine - they have to make the Cantina, have to have Jawas, etc, etc. Endor would need giant trees and ewoks running around.

The fact is, many of the worlds of SW don't feel like real worlds - they are so individual to the environment. (Desert World, Forest World, Snow World.) Making their own planet area is not a bad move for Disney.

you wouldn't own all the content. but espn could offer streaming service for sports. funny that they are losing subscribers but that means that the millenials aren't that into sports since espn has baseball basketball and of course football including college bowl games, the playoffs and championship game. the only thing they haven't had was the superbowl.
I am a millennial and I watch all of those things all of the time. I like the concept of having streaming apps. I use Watch ESPN and BTN2GO all the time for watching teams I like.

Its due to people getting rid of cable. ESPN subscriptions are tied to basic cable packages so if you get rid of cable you get rid of ESPN. Therefore the more people leaving cable the more subscribers ESPN loses.

It's not JUST getting rid of cable entirely - some companies are letting people "trade down" to packages without sport tiers - I did it in a heartbeat b/c $50/month savings is $50/month savings. I have not missed ESPN at all, except when MNF has my favorite team (and I could head to the sports bar if I wasn't lazy to watch it). I had stopped watching everything else b/c I hate talk tv and the NBA was always my 4th favorite of the big 4 sports...

It's not JUST getting rid of cable entirely - some companies are letting people "trade down" to packages without sport tiers - I did it in a heartbeat b/c $50/month savings is $50/month savings. I have not missed ESPN at all, except when MNF has my favorite team (and I could head to the sports bar if I wasn't lazy to watch it). I had stopped watching everything else b/c I hate talk tv and the NBA was always my 4th favorite of the big 4 sports...

Right - the problem with cable (and satellite) is that a lot of people "pay" for things like ESPN that never ever use it. (I am one of those - my main sport of interest is Hockey, and ESPN is a black hole when it comes to that.) As people "cut the cord" those folks that don't need ESPN aren't paying for it. Not suggesting that sports programming is going away or anything - but sports packages like this might be. The question is will individuals who like say college sports continue to pay for a streaming service that has multiple sports. I am convinced the Disney is really in front of this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter