Newbie to Universal--help with a couple things

blessedby3

Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my userna
So we have been going to Disney for the past 28 years as a family. Our 13 year old is HP obsessed and we want her to be able to do 2 days at Universal when we go at the end of May. Is Universal doing a park reservation type thing like WDW? I was looking on their site and cant tell.
It would be May 31 and June 1 so Im sure with Memorial Day things will be busier and I want to get those tickets if we can and book the park reservations if they are doing the same thing.
I was also thinking about booking a room at a resort that has express pass included. What would be our cheapest option?
Thanks for any help

No park reservations at Universal. You are wise to book an onsite hotel with express passes. Royal Pacific is usually the less expensive of the 3 that include EPs. If you are a Costco member, price out packages there. You will want park to park tickets for your H{ fan- the Hogwarts Express is a must and P2P tickets are required for it.

I am pasting this from an earlier question I responded to today:

As pp said Express Pass comes with the three top tier hotels. Hotel guests at any level get early park entry. You can check the universal website to see which parks open early and when. I highly recommend the top tier hotels, (Royal Pacific is our favorite) because your entire party on the reservation can use the room key for express pass the day of check in AND day of check out—all day. The Express pass let’s you get in the shorter que, you don’t need to schedule anything like fast passes. Also, Hagrids is on virtual line, you need the app to get in the virtual line and that starts at park open. I have been able to get a virtual line time on the bus and while in line so you don’t need to be scanned in the park to do it, just close to the park. If you are already there at early entry it’s no big deal to hop on and get a time BUT on very busy days the times fill up fast. Sometimes on very busy days other rides may go on virtual line, so the app is important. Express pass can’t be used on virtual line rides (hagrids). Express pass CAN be used on hog warts express train that runs between parks (originally you couldn’t but they changed it). No spoilers but the train is very cool and not just a way to get from one park to the other. As pp said if HP fans you will want park to park tickets in order to ride it. Lastly, I’m not sure how often the people will go but for some it makes sense to get at least one annual pass to get the discounted hotel, discounts on food and park merch. Check the prices on park to park tickets then compare to passes (which are considerably cheaper than Disney passes), and see if it works for your party.
Edited: Because I wanted to add that sometimes hagrids will be on virtual line in the morning but then “go off” of virtual line if they decide it’s not too crowded (it’s annoying). We showed up once at our return time and were told there was an hour wait and I said but we have a virtual line time and they said they stopped the virtual line sign ups because crowds not that bad, I showed our phone with our return time (I screenshotted) and they said “ok then go” and let us go into a separate short line. So JUST in case that happens, I’d still suggest going at the return time given. There aren’t anything like magic bands to scan and you can wait in the regular line as many times as you want if they are not doing virtual line. Also you have to scan your room keys and tickets for express pass so we get lanyards.

We will be there during your dates and I can tell you hotels are booking FAST for those dates. I know this as I keep checking to see if I can get a cheaper rate (AP holder) and the room availability is shrinking. I think people are seeing the restrictions being lifted as vaccines are rolling out and feeling more comfortable with travel.

Thanks for the help. If I book through Orbitz do I still get the express pass?

Thanks for the help. If I book through Orbitz do I still get the express pass?
As long as you are at one the top three hotels your room key is used as the express pass. Sometimes they scan it at multiple points in the que. but it doesn’t matter where you book as long as you have the room card.

Doesn`t matter who you book with, just staying at the 3 premier hotels gets you EP for your length of stay.

From as soon as you check in, even if the room isn`t ready, till park close on checkout day.

For those 8am openings. How "early" can you check in and get a room key for EP access? Just wasn't sure if it was possible to get 2 full days off of one night.

For those 8am openings. How "early" can you check in and get a room key for EP access? Just wasn't sure if it was possible to get 2 full days off of one night.

It absolutely is possible and the reason many do the same thing.

As long as it`s after 6am usually you`re fine to check in. As Tommy said above, leave any bags with bell services and off you pop to the park.

If you stay onsite, book the preferred hotel so you will be guaranteed to enter the parks and have free ep.
Stay one night and receive check in and out day for the benefits.

I'm also a newbie to Universal. I have been looking for information about guaranteed entry if staying at an on-site hotel and couldn't find it, so thank you. I have a night at Royal Pacific booked in the summer so I can take advantage of the unlimited express pass, but I was a little concerned about the capacity issues.

I'm also wondering about APs...if I buy the Preferred Pass, but then during the year want to upgrade to Premier, is that possible? Also, I believe I read that the pass is not activated until the first use, is that correct? I want to buy now to take advantage of the 15-month promo, but I don't want the clock to start until I actually go.

Per the official FAQs on the Universal page, admission is not guaranteed for onsite guests. In practice it might work that way but here's what they say:
"
Will hotel guests be turned away if the theme parks reach capacity?
Hotel guests will be given priority entrance to theme parks during our phased reopening. We encourage our hotel guests to take advantage of their Early Park Admission benefit to access the parks prior to our daily opening to the general public, and we will accommodate hotel guests on a priority basis in the parks throughout the day." https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/plan-your-visit/safety-faqs/hotels-resorts

I'm also a newbie to Universal. I have been looking for information about guaranteed entry if staying at an on-site hotel and couldn't find it, so thank you. I have a night at Royal Pacific booked in the summer so I can take advantage of the unlimited express pass, but I was a little concerned about the capacity issues.

I'm also wondering about APs...if I buy the Preferred Pass, but then during the year want to upgrade to Premier, is that possible? Also, I believe I read that the pass is not activated until the first use, is that correct? I want to buy now to take advantage of the 15-month promo, but I don't want the clock to start until I actually go.

You can upgrade at any time. Yes, not activated until use. I would take a screenshot of the 15-month promo. I've heard of some people not automatically getting the extra 3 months. Then they talk to someone and it is added. The 3-month thing is famous, so it probably wouldn't be a problem.
It is a different company, but I'd bought the Black Friday 2019 photopass deal. The screenshots I saved from the offer came in VERY handy. Otherwise I wouldn't have gotten all the extras and it would have expired too soon.

You can upgrade at any time. Yes, not activated until use. I would take a screenshot of the 15-month promo. I've heard of some people not automatically getting the extra 3 months. Then they talk to someone and it is added. The 3-month thing is famous, so it probably wouldn't be a problem.
It is a different company, but I'd bought the Black Friday 2019 photopass deal. The screenshots I saved from the offer came in VERY handy. Otherwise I wouldn't have gotten all the extras and it would have expired too soon.

I'm bumping this older thread. I still haven't bought my AP, but I do know I need to do it this month to get the 15-month promo. I have a couple more questions. I looked for an AP sticky but didn't see one, so hopefully someone can help.

I thought I read somewhere that to upgrade, you have to pay off the balance in full. Like, if I choose to do Flex Pay, I would need to pay it off before upgrading.

Also, I thought I read somewhere that if you pay in full, a renewal has a discount, but if you're doing Flex Pay, you can't get the discount. Could a person change from Flex Pay to Pay in Full to get the discount if one chooses to renew?

I'm bumping this older thread. I still haven't bought my AP, but I do know I need to do it this month to get the 15-month promo. I have a couple more questions. I looked for an AP sticky but didn't see one, so hopefully someone can help.

I thought I read somewhere that to upgrade, you have to pay off the balance in full. Like, if I choose to do Flex Pay, I would need to pay it off before upgrading.

Also, I thought I read somewhere that if you pay in full, a renewal has a discount, but if you're doing Flex Pay, you can't get the discount. Could a person change from Flex Pay to Pay in Full to get the discount if one chooses to renew?

Not sure if this applies to you but I heard sometimes the extra months for the promo won’t carry over when upgrading, but that might only be if you are upgrading regular tickets to APs

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter