Newbie questions.

howaboutme

Mouseketeer
Hi all..

New here..starting to plan my family's first trip to WDW in late August. I've read a bunch but like to confirm a few things...

- When you book a package, either through a TA (still learning the lingo) or through WDW, you aren't obligated to pay in-full, correct?

- If that's the case, what happens? I assume a deposit and then a final payment by a specific time? Do you pay as you go up until then too?

- Are all/most reservations for rooms able to be cancelled w/o penalty? I assume so since I've ready people often change reservations many times.

- How does booking through AAA compare to other TA's or through WDW?

- If you have a stroller, what do you do w/ it when you go on rides? Is it left in a nook somewhere? What about certain personal/little one related items that typically stay in the stroller?

I have way too many questions but this will be a good start. Thanks!

Hi all..

New here..starting to plan my family's first trip to WDW in late August. I've read a bunch but like to confirm a few things...

1- When you book a package, either through a TA (still learning the lingo) or through WDW, you aren't obligated to pay in-full, correct?

2- If that's the case, what happens?
2A- I assume a deposit and then a final payment by a specific time?
2B- Do you pay as you go up until then too?

3 - Are all/most reservations for rooms able to be cancelled w/o penalty? I assume so since I've ready people often change reservations many times.

4- How does booking through AAA compare to other TA's or through WDW?

5- If you have a stroller, what do you do w/ it when you go on rides?
5A- Is it left in a nook somewhere?
5B- What about certain personal/little one related items that typically stay in the stroller?

1- Correct.
2A- Yes.
2B- You can.
3- Yes.
4- Unknown.
5A- Yes.
5B- Some guests leave items (of value) in the stroller. Some don't.

When I had little kids I packed an older diaper bag with necessities including an older outfit. Nothing that I would be overly upset to lose. I left that in the stroller and took everything else on rides.

Hi all..

- When you book a package, either through a TA (still learning the lingo) or through WDW, you aren't obligated to pay in-full, correct?

- If that's the case, what happens? I assume a deposit and then a final payment by a specific time? Do you pay as you go up until then too?

- Are all/most reservations for rooms able to be cancelled w/o penalty? I assume so since I've ready people often change reservations many times.

- If you have a stroller, what do you do w/ it when you go on rides? Is it left in a nook somewhere? What about certain personal/little one related items that typically stay in the stroller?

1yes
2 I know if you book through disney you either have to put down the deposit and then when you check in you pay the rest or sometimes if you get a package you have to do deposit ( first night) and 30 days before you pay the rest
3 yes most you have I think 3 or so days before to cancel ( not sure on how many but if you ask they can tell you)
4 I have only used disney so I do know
5 you have to leave stroller out of the line there are places to park them and if you do not know where A CM ( cast member= employ ) will let you know you are more then welcome to bring a back pack or what ever with you that you are carrying your stuff in if you want to lave things in your stroller then you are more then welcome to how ever I would not leave anything of value in them or food ( youtube squirrel eating out of a stroller at disney and you will see how good they are about eating food from them ( unless you have the food in a tight container))

Thanks everyone!

I'm trying to wrap my head around the dining plan options. If I book a package now that includes a dining plan and then/if a special comes out subsequently that has free dining, can I change or get a credit? Based on what I read, if I can and book through a TA, they do it for me. But if I book myself through Disney, is it just as easy?

Can anyone provide some experiences involving a family of 4 with one child less than 3 and another 7? Adults eat a lot (and I'm being kind to myself :) )but kids eat little. We like sit down dinners but agree with a lot other forum members that TS may become cumbersome and the spontaneity that QS provides is a plus. I know I can look at every single menu on the site and try to make some assumptions to calculate but there are so many options and it's impossible to know what we'll do in the moment so asking for experiences may be more helpful. I'm wondering if getting a dining plan, like QS plus do OOP for some TS is better than getting a deluxe or something more...thinking of either 5 or 6 night trip...

Thanks in advance!

We are definitely one of the "NO dining plan" for us families. We've been often and we know what and how we like to eat, and none of the plans fits our eating style.

However, I MIGHT advise the QSDP for you as first time guests only because it takes away some of the panic of eating at the moment. You would get an idea of how much food it is and if it will fit your family for future trips. Everyone 3 and over gets their own non-alcoholic drink of choice, you get desserts, and everyone gets a snack each day. If even one of the adults tends to have sticker shock over an $8 hot dog (just an example), then having the plan can mitigate that. You may end up paying more for the plan than you would OOP, but you may not.

P.S. just so you know, that $8 hot dog is a terrible value on the DDP. Your entrees need to be at least $10 to begin to break even.

Dining plan is just good if you fit very specifically the "meal plan" provided, and to not worry about it. You have to plan and eat a lot to be worth it, imho.

We did it the first time, it wasn't worth it price-wise imho. But it was great to not worry about it and get lots of snacks. (-:

Thanks again everyone!

P.S. just so you know, that $8 hot dog is a terrible value on the DDP. Your entrees need to be at least $10 to begin to break even.

This is the type of anecdotal evidence that's extremely helpful. Anymore experiences would be helpful. Thank you!

We are not dining plan people either. There is so much planning for a disney vacation from the trip in general to ADRs and FP+ that when it comes to dining we just want to eat and not think about it.
I know you didn't ask for this advice but unless you are bringing your own stroller I highly recommend renting one from an outside vendor. We used Orlando Stroller rental back when we needed one but I know there are many companies that rent them. The strollers are waaaay more comfortable than disney's for a child who will be in in more than out of it. They deliver to the resorts so its there when you arrive and having it for walking to and from buses is really invaluable.

We are not dining plan people either. There is so much planning for a disney vacation from the trip in general to ADRs and FP+ that when it comes to dining we just want to eat and not think about it.
I know you didn't ask for this advice but unless you are bringing your own stroller I highly recommend renting one from an outside vendor. We used Orlando Stroller rental back when we needed one but I know there are many companies that rent them. The strollers are waaaay more comfortable than disney's for a child who will be in in more than out of it. They deliver to the resorts so its there when you arrive and having it for walking to and from buses is really invaluable.

Hi, thank you! Actually, I've been reading about the stroller situation recently too. I have read that the 3 Disney recommended outside vendors are better and they seem better as they are actually "strollers" as opposed to carts. But what my wife and I have thought would be a pain is to have to bring (and therefore fold) the stroller when in transport (assuming not staying at monorail or boat accessed resort). What makes renting from Disney is we can leave the stroller and be free. Our youngest will be 2.5 by the time we go so she is fine w/ walking. But then again...after a long day?? Not sure. Either way, she'll have to get out of the stroller. Although the strollers look very uncomfortable, I like the size. Our oldest daughter will be able to sit in there too (double) and the canopy looks 2nd to none for sun and rain.

But would love other thoughts as well! Thank you.

Hi, thank you! Actually, I've been reading about the stroller situation recently too. I have read that the 3 Disney recommended outside vendors are better and they seem better as they are actually "strollers" as opposed to carts. But what my wife and I have thought would be a pain is to have to bring (and therefore fold) the stroller when in transport (assuming not staying at monorail or boat accessed resort). What makes renting from Disney is we can leave the stroller and be free. Our youngest will be 2.5 by the time we go so she is fine w/ walking. But then again...after a long day?? Not sure. Either way, she'll have to get out of the stroller. Although the strollers look very uncomfortable, I like the size. Our oldest daughter will be able to sit in there too (double) and the canopy looks 2nd to none for sun and rain.

some times the lines for the busses can take 30+ minutes do you really want to carry a tired child ( or sleeping child) and there is still a lot of walking in the park even if she uses the stroller for every ride you have to park the stroller walk to the ride wait in line walk back to where your stroller might be look for it ( they CM move them to make room for more) but yes once you get on the bus you have to fold the stroller but most can be folded one handed and the disney stroller are not that comfortable and have no protection from the rain. I would rent one from off site and get a rain poncho for the stroller some come free with them.

We found having the stroller outside the parks a relief for us. Not having to carry a small child when we were tired was nice. They rent double strollers which is what we had and they fold very easily and are not heavy at all. We used a stroller until the trip before last when the kids were 4 and 6. Even the 6 year wanted to ride by the end of a long day. But i understand your view on it too.

We like the dinning plans. We do a lot of character meals. So we tend to get our money out of them. Also put something on your stroller to make it stand out. So when you come off of a ride you can find it easy in the mix of all the others that look a like.

The regular dining plan may be a good value for you. The cost per night would be $145. If your kids are interested in meeting characters you could use your TS credits for them. Chef Mickeys, Akershus in Norway, 1900 park fare and Ohanas are all some of our favorites and are pricey. Lots of great QS choices that give you a good bang for your buck. Columbia Harbor House has a great lobster roll and you can get chicken and rib combos in Animal Kingdom or Hollywood Studios. QS meals come with a drink and dessert but you can substitute any snack item on the menu for those if you'd like. Snack options are everywhere, our family favorite is the ice cream sandwich in the magic kingdom which is priced at 5.99. Go to allears.net, look at the menus and crunch numbers. We no longer get the dining plan because our kids are all considered adults. When we were paying the child price and eating at character buffets it was worth it for us. With it or without it you'll have a great time, enjoy you trip.

Hi all..

1. if a package, you start with a $200 deposit. Balance due 45 days before your trip. if your reservation is hotel "room only" then your deposit is the cost of one night at your hotel (approx. including taxes). (The math almost never works out 100% on the dollar for some reason.) Be careful though because sometimes a hotel only stay can be listed as a package.
2. You don't have to pay as you go. You can pay all on day 45, or w/RO, pay balance upon arrival.
3. Look for rules on packages vs. room only to clarify. The cancelation terms of room only are more generous. With packages, there are penalties if your trip is less than 45 days out.
4. If you happen to book a package with less than 45 days before you go, balance is due at time of booking.
5. Again read the fine print on packages vs. room only. I usually prefer room only unless there is a stellar package deal. Most of the time, if WDW offers a package deal, the 'discount' comes off the room portion. They usually ALSO offer a room only discount that will give you the SAME savings.
6. options on changing rooms is slightly more generous than outright cancelling. Also, sometimes WDW will let you change dates without penalty.

7. I book for myself or use AAA. I find booking for myself to be better. If you book via AAA or any TA, then you are adding a middle man to the process. Sometimes I had to go to physically GO tot he AAA office to get my official packet- and that had to be during AAA office hours. when I go through WDW myself, I just call them and they MAIL items to me. They are open until 10pm EST and on weekends. AAA was only opine weekdays.
At least once, a better discount came out after I booked, and it was pain to have to go through AAA, because I had to wait until Monday morning to try and book it- by then many rooms at the discount were gone.

At least once AAA made significant mistakes! ARGH!

8. There are also rules on canceling dining reservations. We also avoid the pitfall of travel insurance. I've also read NEVER book anything like airfare or a rental car through WDW. The cancelation terms are bad.
9. there are specific places in the parks to park strollers. If your child needs one, then bring your own Pick: light, sturdy, easy to fold, basket, rain cover, and maybe sun shade. KNOT a bandana or apply stickers to it to mark as yours. Many models look the same.

10. we never had anything taken form a stroller over many extended family visits to WDW, but we didn't leave valuables in it. We DID use the basket for water, diapers, change of baby shorts, and a ziplock bag with a days' worth of wipes. We've always avoided carrying around more than we need (per day) and that helps. How much stuff to carry is a hot topic on the DIS, but we usually find less is more.
what every you bring will be inspected.DO read details about what is (not) allowed.

Hi, thank you! Actually, I've been reading about the stroller situation recently too.

Avoid the WDW strollers. They are hard to steer, and way overpriced. Renting from an outside company has also never been a good deal, IMO. We were FAR better with our OWN high quality umbrella type stroller (one that FOLDS). Maclaren used to be a good brand for them, but I have no idea what are good brands currently. The Maclaren ones were under 20pounds, with handles were tall enough for a tall person to push the stroller, high quality wheels, and the fabric dried quickly if it got wet. They folded compactly enough to fit under the seat on the bus (or in one of the nooks between seat sections on the bus.)

I think you would still do pretty well if you an find one that is mildly USED from someone you know.

Then again....if perchance your child is in the iffy age for using one- you may well do better by NOT using one. Or JUST using it on your Epcot/longest days. A stroller most certainly will slow you down. Going for daily half hour walks before a trip is great idea for everyone including four/five year olds. whether you bring the stroller or not.

Even with a stroller, if the child CAN walk, they will end up doing a fair bit of walking. If they are too young for any walking, then you most certinaly want to bring your own. there is a fair bit of walking in the airport+hotels+places like the TTC.

Once upon a time the DDP was a pretty good deal. Nowadays, it isn't such a good value. A key thing - just off the top- there are NO refunds. I say this as someone who used it a number of times, and all the rules make it a pain to use.

I suppose those who go to many buffets might save a few dollars over not having it- BUT - if you do not have the DDP- you will do far better just doing a few less buffets. For us, the buffets really slow us down, and are just overkill on food. When we did the DDP +a buffet each day, by mid-trip we were just over-buffeted!

The DDP locks you into a dessert per person per meal. For us, that takes WAY too much time.

ADR's are NOT reservations. Disney does NOT leave tables vacant. On our most recent ADR, we waited almost an hour past our ADR time slot to get a table! Expect most TS meals to last at least 90 minutes. Also, depending where the meal is, and where you start, you might have to allow 90mintues to GET to the ADR location!

for a first trip, you would do better to go a la carte, and favor Quick Serve meals. If you do a buffet/character meal/TS meal AND opt to stay onsite (especially at a deluxe resort) I strongly suggest dining at your home resort- OR- one that is very close. If you opt for a monorail resort- any dining on the monorail line. if you opt for the BC/YC/Bwk/Swan/Dolphin area consider dining at one of those resorts and the Epcot dining to be close. The MK area resorts are NOT close to Epcot eating.

Also WDw has strict cancel policies now on TS meals. that is another great reason to limit them. We have all but stopped booking ADR's.

Oh, on our last trip. We (4pple) ate at a WDW QS for about $45. Our lunch ADR (with a shared entrée) cost nearly $80. We ate at Universal for about the same. One QS was about $40, one lunch TS was about $50, one dinner TS was about $90.

The last night we ate off park property, full meal, full TS- for - get this- $43 including tip! It was also some of the BEST food we ate, and by far the best wait service we had.

How does booking through AAA compare to other TA's or through WDW?

I'm an AAA member and I just went into my local AAA Travel office (I'm in KS as a reference) in December ask some questions and get the free tote they were giving away. I asked them if I could come in anytime (as my next trip is Sep 2017 so still a bit far off) and just fire away some questions with stuff like FassPass+ selections or assistance on other things like pros and cons to locations of resorts, etc without having to book a reservations through them and they said absolutely. So you may stop by one of the Travel offices and see if it's the same where you are at. Honestly this blog is AMAZING at answering questions and easing concerns but I find it can be nice to physically talk to someone at times plus there may be some Disney freebies at the office.

My local Travel Office also sells physical WDW and Universal tickets though you may want to price compare that with other places like Undercover Tourist and MouseSavers. If you want a full package though to qualify for certain promotions you have to purchase your tickets directly through disney or with a travel agent (be than at an AAA office, or another authorized disney travel agent) at the same time as your room reservation (if you stay on-site).

For meal plan conversations (which there have been plenty) a newish thread is http://www.disboards.com/threads/is-it-possible-we-beat-the-meal-plan-also-what-we-learned.3472923/.

Don't be alarmed at all the numbers and lingo thrown into that thread but it can kinda help you look at different view points on why people do and don't do the meal plans. I think there also is a link to a meal plan cost calculator...I think.

Disney and AAA no longer have a relationship agreement so you get nothing with them than you would with Disney direct.

I personally much prefer to do my own booking. I struggle giving control to someone else. That even includes our first trip. There is so much info online is easy to read up on things to be ready to do it yourself

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter