• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New-to-you ship vs. new-to-you ports? WWYD??

Dug720

See the line where the sky meets the sea?
Trying to decide on what to do here...

Currently booked on a 7-night Eastern on the Wonder for Feb 2018. Never been on the Wonder, and it would complete my Grand Slam (though there is a possibility that August 2018 will do that if this doesn't as my dad is talking a family Alaska cruise for their 50th anniversary - and no, Mom and Daddy are NOT interested in other lines, so no saying "You should look at X,Y, or Z" please). BUT I've been to St. Maarten and San Juan before. Booked onboard the Magic this Feb so well within the time-frame to change if I choose. Booked in 2504.

Pondering a 7-night Western on the Fantasy for the same week. Been on the Fantasy and enjoyed it a lot. Never been to the Western Caribbean. Not THAT much more in the great scheme of things. Not thrilled about Star Wars, but it looks like if I ever want to go on the Fantasy again, I'm going to have to deal with that/find other things to occupy me on that day (like spa, Palo brunch, etc.). If I went with a 9B cabin I wouldn't have to pay that much more for the deposit - looking at 2556 or 2558 (or 2056 or 2058).

Thoughts??

Currently booked on a 7-night Eastern on the Wonder for Feb 2018. Never been on the Wonder, and it would complete my Grand Slam (though there is a possibility that August 2018 will do that if this doesn't as my dad is talking a family Alaska cruise for their 50th anniversary - and no, Mom and Daddy are NOT interested in other lines, so no saying "You should look at X,Y, or Z" please). BUT I've been to St. Maarten and San Juan before. Booked onboard the Magic this Feb so well within the time-frame to change if I choose. Booked in 2504.

Pondering a 7-night Western on the Fantasy for the same week. Been on the Fantasy and enjoyed it a lot. Never been to the Western Caribbean. Not THAT much more in the great scheme of things. Not thrilled about Star Wars, but it looks like if I ever want to go on the Fantasy again, I'm going to have to deal with that/find other things to occupy me on that day (like spa, Palo brunch, etc.). If I went with a 9B cabin I wouldn't have to pay that much more for the deposit - looking at 2556 or 2558 (or 2056 or 2058).

Thoughts??
If your family does a Disney Alaskan cruise next summer with you, that could complete your Grand Slam. We had a great time on our Disney Alaskan cruise on the Wonder. We 'weren't' cruisers before this, but loved our experience last summer. For us, ports are important...but the Disney part is as well as that's the part this is getting us to go ON a boat, lol.

For you though...I know how much you dislike Star Wars, and there will be lots of Star Wars movies on multiple days, people dressed in costumes, etc. You can avoid anything that the crew has organized for Star Wars day. So the question is, how much Star Wars can you put up with?

If your family does a Disney Alaskan cruise next summer with you, that could complete your Grand Slam. We had a great time on our Disney Alaskan cruise on the Wonder. We 'weren't' cruisers before this, but loved our experience last summer. For us, ports are important...but the Disney part is as well as that's the part this is getting us to go ON a boat, lol.

For you though...I know how much you dislike Star Wars, and there will be lots of Star Wars movies on multiple days, people dressed in costumes, etc. You can avoid anything that the crew has organized for Star Wars day. So the question is, how much Star Wars can you put up with?

I know, I think that is why I'm so torn. I would definitely want to avoid the MDR that night - but Palo brunch AND dinner on the same day would be a little much.

I'm ok with my activity for St. Maarten - I've booked a spot with Captain Bob Cass and Soualiga Destinations again - that was a fun day last time. But San Juan...I'm pretty meh on, butut with 2 sea days and a ship sans Midship Detective I feel like I'd be hard-pressed to entertain myself on there on a port day.

AARGH!!!!!!!!!

If I were you I would go with the Fantasy since you haven't been to the WC before. If there is a really, really great chance of doing the Alaska cruise in August, I'd wait and go on the Wonder then. We did an Alaska on the Wonder several yrs ago to celebrate my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary. We've also done the WC on the Fantasy. We loved both. I think going to Alaska with your parents would be something you'd really treasure, new places, ship you haven't been on before, and all the characters in their Alaskan outfits. With all that being said, selfishly I would like you to keep your Feb wonder cruise because we are doing same cruise in March and would love to be able to read your trip report before we go. Whatever you decide, you'll have a great trip. If your parents decide to not go on an Alaskan cruise, would you consider doing it on your own to get the grand slam? That is if you cancel the Feb trip on the Wonder to do WC instead?

It sounds like you really want to do the Fantasy for the both the ship itself and the new ports. On Star Wars Day you'll end up seeing passengers in costume, so you won't be able to totally avoid seeing anything Star Wars related. Do Palo for dinner to avoid the MDRs, grab something from the pool deck for lunch and eat it in your room or maybe in the adult pool area, or maybe do MDR for lunch? Maybe the piano bar area would be safe at night? I don't know...I have the feeling that even the adult crafts that day would be Star Wars related--but I have no first hand knowledge. I think you're going to have to put up with a certain amount of Star Wars in your surroundings that day...it's kind of like my teens playing annoying music...you can put up with it for a short period of time, as long as you can get away from it!

If I were you I would go with the Fantasy since you haven't been to the WC before. If there is a really, really great chance of doing the Alaska cruise in August, I'd wait and go on the Wonder then. We did an Alaska on the Wonder several yrs ago to celebrate my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary. We've also done the WC on the Fantasy. We loved both. I think going to Alaska with your parents would be something you'd really treasure, new places, ship you haven't been on before, and all the characters in their Alaskan outfits. With all that being said, selfishly I would like you to keep your Feb wonder cruise because we are doing same cruise in March and would love to be able to read your trip report before we go. Whatever you decide, you'll have a great trip. If your parents decide to not go on an Alaskan cruise, would you consider doing it on your own to get the grand slam? That is if you cancel the Feb trip on the Wonder to do WC instead?

I love Alaska and would probably do it on my own at some point - just not next year as we would likely do some other trip as a family. ( Kinda wishing I had remembered that Platinum were able to book later fall today as I'm sure if he tried calling Daddy gave up at the long wait time - I could have told him to call yesterday or wait a week.)

Are you more of a port person or a ship person? I think the adult only pool on the Wonder is way better than on the bigger ships. I've heard a few of my friends say the same thing about San Juan (e.g. "meh"). We are beach people so we set up shop on any beach on any island... however one of the most beautiful in my opinion was the beach on the Grand Cayman. Good luck with your decision!

Are you more of a port person or a ship person? I think the adult only pool on the Wonder is way better than on the bigger ships. I've heard a few of my friends say the same thing about San Juan (e.g. "meh"). We are beach people so we set up shop on any beach on any island... however one of the most beautiful in my opinion was the beach on the Grand Cayman. Good luck with your decision!

I'm a little of both. That is part of why I am having a hard time deciding. I do have a Western scheduled...for 2019 on the Celebrity Edge. It hits Costa Maya rather than Falmouth. And I could do a beach at GC with Disney as I have already scheduled the turtle stuff on X since Disney stopped doing that.

I am iffy on Tiana's as I have never liked "supper club" type things, and that is what that sounds like with the performances.

My family and I are not big Star Wars fans either. We did a Fantasy back to back in March - so we had 2 SWDAS! I think 80 - 90% of the passengers were either in costume or they were wearing a Star Wars t-shirt! While I could appreciate all the effort people put into their costumes and meeting Chewbacca was fun - the music drove me nuts! It was EVERYWHERE all day long - the halls, elevators, gift shops, pool deck, Cabannas, MDR! We did not go to Palo that day so not sure if it was playing in there or not. To me, Star Wars music sounds like it is on a 30 second loop and it got stuck in my head for far too long!:confused3

On the positive side, the Star Wars fireworks were fantastic! And we had fireworks for pirate night as well. The SWDAS menu was pretty good and a nice change from the regular menus.

Good luck with your choice! We are doing Alaska in August 2018 so maybe we will see you there! :goodvibes

My family and I are not big Star Wars fans either. We did a Fantasy back to back in March - so we had 2 SWDAS! I think 80 - 90% of the passengers were either in costume or they were wearing a Star Wars t-shirt! While I could appreciate all the effort people put into their costumes and meeting Chewbacca was fun - the music drove me nuts! It was EVERYWHERE all day long - the halls, elevators, gift shops, pool deck, Cabannas, MDR! We did not go to Palo that day so not sure if it was playing in there or not. To me, Star Wars music sounds like it is on a 30 second loop and it got stuck in my head for far too long!:confused3

On the positive side, the Star Wars fireworks were fantastic! And we had fireworks for pirate night as well. The SWDAS menu was pretty good and a nice change from the regular menus.

Good luck with your choice! We are doing Alaska in August 2018 so maybe we will see you there! :goodvibes

Thanks. Meh...I suppose I'll stay put with what I have. At least I know St. Maarten will be a good day - Capt. Bob has a great operation.

I know people are about as gaga over Williams' score as Star Wars itself, but as you point out, it sounds just like endless variations on a theme.

Now... If my favorite server from the Fantasy would just move over to the Wonder, it would be awesome. LOL.

I don't think I'd like the Wonder if there are too many similarities with the Magic. Fantasy is much better AND WC is much better than EC! Guess it all depends on what you like to do...for the most part we can take or leave the beaches since you can do them anywhere but we always find so much to do in Old San Juan. We have had better days in Falmouth (3x) than GC though. Always happy there are so many choices for us all!

I don't think I'd like the Wonder if there are too many similarities with the Magic. Fantasy is much better AND WC is much better than EC! Guess it all depends on what you like to do...for the most part we can take or leave the beaches since you can do them anywhere but we always find so much to do in Old San Juan. We have had better days in Falmouth (3x) than GC though. Always happy there are so many choices for us all!

I liked the Magic ok.

I've tried making a pros and cons list, but so far they aren't helping...

Wonder Pros -
* new to me ship
* I do have an awesome excursion planned in St. Maarten, and while I never find Serenity Bay overly crowded, it would probably be less so with the Wonder
* slightly less expensive

Wonder Cons -
* not really into the "supper club" thing Tiana's seems to be, but I like Tritons' menu even less (though Royal whichever on the Fantasy has pretty much the same menu)
* no midship detective agency - I love my reading time, but it was fun to run around the Fantasy occasionally on sea days doing that
* probable extra night before would about off-set the price difference (not necessarily a con, but kind of as meals would figure in here as well)

Fantasy Pros -
* new-to-me ports (though I am doing 2 of the 3 non-Castaway ports on the Edge in 2019)
* I love Skyline, and I had a wonderful assistant server I could request, and my favorite bartender is on the Fantasy
* my favorite cabin (well, on the other side of the ship) is available

Fantasy Cons -
* Star Wars
* slightly more expensive
* one less extra night before (planning to book at a WDW resort once those are available by internet)

So even those pretty much balance each other out. This is why I'm having such a hard time deciding!!

Thoughts??
I'd stay with the wonder. I think it would be cool to see everything after its big dry dock Reno, and the Star Wars stuff would drive me crazy on the other itinerary.

If prices are close I'd probably go with the Fantasy just because it's hard to get a good price on that ship. The Wonder's not going anywhere and you have plenty of time to try it. My answer may be a little biased because I would love to sail on the Fantasy again if the price is right. I'm very sick of the Caribbean, but if a good GT rate pops up sometime between Jan-May next year I would probably jump on it.

I'd go with the ports I wanted to see. You can do the Wonder on another cruise where you also want to go. Now, if you'd said you didn't enjoy the Fantasy, that would be different.

I think the pros of the Wonder outweigh the Fantasy...
And why put off completing your grand slam!?

Well, what do you like most about Disney? WHY do you choose DCL?
Do ports of call and DCL excursions fuel your cruise? Or do you find yourself enjoying ship activities more and/or sea days?
Answering that may help you figure it out.

For me, I LOVE sea days and prefer itineraries that are longer and have more sea days. But I had to think; why do I love the sea days? It's because I prefer the ship and I enjoy using every bit of it that I can. Plus, by spending a lot of time on the ship, I feel like I have my "money's worth".
Of course, this last bit is just my opinion and views, everyone sees value differently :)

I hope that helps!

Disney because the cast and crew and magic. DCL because of the level of service.

I like both. But I don't know about sea days on a ship without midship as I've never done it. BUT I'd essentially be losing one on the Fantasy because of Star Wars - especially that incessant music.

Star Wars day is what you make of it. If you let it get to you, it will. Make it a spa day. Everyone else is dressed up and running from m&g line up to m&g line up. The fireworks are always fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter