• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

new to contact lenses - order online?

WendyLovesPeter

I wanna go back. I gotta go back to WDW!
My eye doc gave rx. Reception said order online or thru office. I checked online and realize it is not direct thru company....it would be mass marketer like 1800 contacts. Eye office didn't advise me of an online site...said they have "no idea" - sure. They didn't discourage nor encourage either option tho.
Just wonder what most people do. Is it safe? I know it cheaper, but I won't risk safety for cheaper. TiA

If you like the trial pair you have, then there shouldn't be an issue ordering online. You have the prescription, and 1-800-contacts is reputable.

Depends. Online ordering is safe. I have done both. Presently I am getting them directly from the optho because they are the same price as they are online. However, I do wear bifocal lenses with a very strong prescription, so they aren't terribly common.

So yes, they are safe to get online, but check the prices.

1800-contacts is safe and reputable. My insurance actually prefers we use 1800-contacts. The best part of them is they will take back open boxes if something goes wrong (need a new prescription or type sooner) and credit you for unused products, where as most eye doctors won't take open boxes back.

I've never ordered online. I always got decent prices through a physical optician.

I do remember when I did order through the optician attached to my optometrist, I did get help if a lens was damaged after a couple of uses. If I'd gone through a dozen uses I would just chuck the lenses and start with a new pair. My optometrist would just give me a pair of trial lenses as replacements. Those are functionally identical to retail lenses, but they may have packaging that says they're not for retail sale.

I wouldn't worry too much. The contacts should be the same, although age (contacts have expiration dates) may be an issue. All the hard work has already been done with the fitting and training.

I always order mine through Walgreens.com and have never had a problem. Plus, you can usually find a 20% to 25% code off online.

1800 contacts will match the price of any other on line offer. We always order from them and check other sites for the lowest price.

DH orders his contacts online, usually. This time, he had to go through EyeConic, because they accepted our VSP ($130 annually towards glasses or contacts). He has used Vision Direct (they had a buy 3, get 1 box free, and DH has the the script for both eyes + 25% total order...they usually have other good coupons online too).

Depends on where I get best discount-sometimes rebate through office is better (once I got the rebate and $50 off glasses when I needed new ones for ordering contacts through them)

1800-contacts is safe and reputable. My insurance actually prefers we use 1800-contacts. The best part of them is they will take back open boxes if something goes wrong (need a new prescription or type sooner) and credit you for unused products, where as most eye doctors won't take open boxes back.

This is actually why I try to order online through the 1800-cantacts if I can-my DD's don't wear contacts everyday so often have boxes left at end of year-zero issues returning when this happens. Plus I go through Ebates for more money back:)

Depends on where I get best discount-sometimes rebate through office is better (once I got the rebate and $50 off glasses when I needed new ones for ordering contacts through them)

This is actually why I try to order online through the 1800-cantacts if I can-my DD's don't wear contacts everyday so often have boxes left at end of year-zero issues returning when this happens. Plus I go through Ebates for more money back:)

I've used less than 30 of my 90 pack in a year and the prescription definitely needs to be changed. I'm so mad I let Cohen's talk me into ordering through them. I only wanted a 30 day anyways but they kept insisting that 90 days was the only way my contacts came. On top of that they prescribed me a type that didn't actually come in my right strength thus why I've only worn them when absolutely necessary this year. I can't wait to find a good doctor and just order them online from now on.

I have ordered online for years, got me some return rewards from one of the sites I use too. They are cheaper then the MD office too.

But sadly I have aged and now have mulitfocal lenses and there are no discounts so I just fork over the money to the Md office.

I believe Wal-mart's prices are supposed to be the same as 1-800 contacts so we buy them there.

My eye doctor doesn't carry contacts. I have to order them either online or at a store like Wal-Mart.

My local Wal-Mart wanted me to come in to "learn how to put in contacts." I've worn contacts for 35 years. So I order them online.

My eye doctor doesn't carry contacts. I have to order them either online or at a store like Wal-Mart.

My local Wal-Mart wanted me to come in to "learn how to put in contacts." I've worn contacts for 35 years. So I order them online.

How do you get fitted without lenses? At the very least there should be trial lenses for the fittings.

How do you get fitted without lenses? At the very least there should be trial lenses for the fittings.
Oh, he has trial lenses. But he doesn't carry lenses to sell. He also doesn't sell glasses.

He is an ophthalmologist, not an optometrist.

I've ordered from 1-800-Contacts because they take FSA, but Costco is cheaper, so I just go there and pay for them. That might not be the case for all brands.

Oh, he has trial lenses. But he doesn't carry lenses to sell. He also doesn't sell glasses.

He is an ophthalmologist, not an optometrist.

I used to go to a solo practice ophthalmologist. My mom rather insisted on him because of the magical letters MD after his name. He never sold anything other than his services. I don't believe he fitted contact lenses either.

That being said, I've been to an ophthalmologist's office which had a full practice. I picked the office out of my vision insurance list of providers because he was an MD. When I got there I found out he had at least one optometrist on his staff along with a staff optician and a selection of glasses. I didn't ask about contacts.

I used to go to a solo practice ophthalmologist. My mom rather insisted on him because of the magical letters MD after his name. He never sold anything other than his services. I don't believe he fitted contact lenses either.

That being said, I've been to an ophthalmologist's office which had a full practice. I picked the office out of my vision insurance list of providers because he was an MD. When I got there I found out he had at least one optometrist on his staff along with a staff optician and a selection of glasses. I didn't ask about contacts.
I have to visit the ophthalmologist every 6 months. I take a medication that can steal my sight. I need the exam so if it starts, the doctor can tell and I can stop taking the medication. While I am there, he also tests my vision for glasses/contacts.

He will fit me for contacts, but he doesn't sell them. And he will write my script for glasses, but he doesn't sell those either. It just isn't part of his practice.

I've bought 2 boxes of 1Day Acuvue Moist 90pk for $44/box from Walgreens online with 25% off promo code and additional visa checkout discount ($10). 1800contacts sell such lenses for $72.25/box and my doc sells for nearly $90/box.
I use this website (contactsprice.com) to compare prices and ged discount codes. Works good for me!

Anyways you can buy online the same lenses for more than 50% cheaper but don't buy lenses from the stores with poor customer support cos it can give you a lot of headache in case of problems with your prescription or something like this. Read some reviews first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter