New theory about autism--opinions?

If they aren't identical, why are you surprised?

Who said I was surprised?

I said I ask myself the question of why only one twin has autism and not the other whenever a new 'theory' pops up.
Given that they have been raised together, had their injections on the same day, same batch, same doctor, been exposed to the same foods, same amount of plastics, same amount of parental stress n the womb blah blah blah.... why is only one on the spectrum?

FWIW, unless there is scientific evidence (several studies done by reputable people) of the cause of autism then I take all theories with a grain of salt.

I said I ask myself the question of why only one twin has autism and not the other whenever a new 'theory' pops up.
Given that they have been raised together, had their injections on the same day, same batch, same doctor, been exposed to the same foods, same amount of plastics, same amount of parental stress n the womb blah blah blah.... why is only one on the spectrum?

FWIW, unless there is scientific evidence (several studies done by reputable people) of the cause of autism then I take all theories with a grain of salt.

I think you took my use of "surprised" a bit too literally.

This is why genetics is the most likely culprit.

Um, that would be called autism. The inability to toilet oneself is usually due to a combination of sensory and executive function deficits. The inability to speak is usually due to motor planning problems as well as typical communicative deficits/anxiety associated with autism.
I'm sorry, but no, not being toilet trained and not speaking are not solely autistic traits. It could also be Apraxia (sometimes also called Dyspraxia). It is possible for someone to have Apraxia/Dyspraxia and not be autistic.

My son has autism. he is almost 12 and you wouldnt be able to let him cross a street alone or think that he could call 911 in an emergency. That is, you can teach him, but to him an emergency could be spilling a glass of milk. When he goes to middle school next year, he wouldnt be able to navigate campus alone. Not that he couldnt be taught but he is too trusting and could be easily taken advantage of, I mean in any way, and middle school is not always a nice place. if anyone told him to do something or come with them, he would. he is in a special classroom but does one class a day with gen ed. He just learned how to jump and still can't hop. He cant walk down the stairs without holding on and turning sideways. He can spell anyword and read anything but his comprehension is minimal. he can do basic math very well, he is very compliant. He started getting therapies at 17 months of age. He is just starting to be able to do a minimal conversation back and forth, like I just said I got a new pillow and he said, where did you buy it from? This is huge for him!! But that took hours of back and forth with his aba therapist. He has come further than anyone said he would or could he was initially diagnosed as "severe". He was also born with a urological birth defect that is linked to endocrine disruptors. So idk I have always thought the birth defect and his autism and other issues are connected. My sister has a child with a developmental disability. I was over 40 when he was born. He had symptoms pretty much right after birth and when no vaxes had been given. My top guesses would be genetic or that I was an older mom. My placenta had to be biopsied for an abnormality. Neurotribes is a really good book if you want to see the evolution of what is called autism over the years.

My son has Asperger's. We are part of a couple of different groups of kids with Asperger's and their parents. There seems to be a large genetic tie, and the Psychologist leading the groups is currently doing research and finding a lot of support for this theory.

I have two boys--one is autistic, the other one is not. We have been working with the Center of Autism and Development disabilities in their research efforts for a while now. I am very interested in the trigger(s). Until discovered, we just focus on speech therapy and behavior modification plans. He has made tremendous progress and is now in mainstream classes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter