New Orleans - Needing some help on things to do and see... if You Please

OP here...

We are putting New Orleans off till later in the Year...Not sure when though.... maybe early October... for my birthday trip...

A guy who works in the same field as my DH...was just there for business( February), this is part of his territory and he goes there all the time... and his wife met him for the weekend... This guy told my DH that him and his wife and another couple ran into some trouble while they were there... twice they had some very aggressive homeless people trying to get them to give them money, like standing around them, and not letting them pass through some park or square that they were walking through, and this was in the middle of the day.. and earlier in the week he had a dinner meeting, and normally he would walk back to his hotel, and would enjoy walking back a block or two.. he said that one of the guys who lives there, said "its not safe for you to walk around right now at night, I will give you a ride to the hotel"... He told DH that is glad he doesn't have to go back till the third quarter...

So we talked about it, and we just decided to move it till later in the year... Hopefully by that time more things will be opened, and more people about, and getting back to normal everywhere...

Please keep up with the suggestions... and thoughts... I'm still working on a plan for us when we finally do get to go...

Sorry you felt the need to postpone your trip. NOLA is not any different than any big city - you just need to be aware of your surroundings at all times. We've never had any issues during the day around the French Quarter (or mostly touristy areas) would not hesitate at all being there.
There are always homeless people in the area, but you need to ignore them, don't make eye contact, and don't respond to them in any way - just keep moving.
We love going on the River Walk on a pretty day - so beautiful and relaxing. We also always park in one of the lots near French Quarter - of course if you are staying in a nearby hotel, walking is fine. We would never miss Cafe du Monde, and it is basically what we go there for - that and the River Walk and Mall and dine at a close restaurant.

We like the St Charles streetcar to the Garden District but it has been a while since we were on it, so not sure what it's like now.

The French Quarter area with it's historical buildings is beautiful so don't be scared away by reports you hear, as things go on in every city daily - just avoid night times.

I hope you enjoy your trip, whenever you decide to go. I would allow a whole day, if you can manage it, for the WWII museum. I went once when my husband was at a conference, and we scheduled a trip back to New Orleans just so he could see it. He loved it! I echo the above poster's suggestion about the streetcar to the Garden District. I was on it a couple of years ago and it was fine then.

As far as food goes, you can't go to New Orleans without trying the Cafe du Monde beignets! (Much better than the Disney French Quarter ones) If you like po boys you might want to check out the Parkway Bakery and Tavern. It's a hole-in-the wall kind of place but the fried shrimp po boys are something I still dream about. If you don't have a car, and don't mind a bit of a walk, and are staying near Canal Street, you can take a street car up Canal and then get off and walk several blocks to get there.

Unless you're really looking forward to staying in Harrah's, you might want to check out the Hotel Monteleone in the French Quarter. It's on Royal Street, which puts you right in a nice part of the Quarter. Harrah's is across Canal from the French Quarter in more of a "meh" area, although I'm sure the rooms there are bigger and more modern.

Last edited:

I'm going in May so this post is terrific! I've been there for work but this will be my first time as a tourist.

Starting in Los Angeles > train to San Francisco > train to Chicago > train to New Orleans. Three days there and then the train back to Los Angeles.

We returned from our trip. Had a great time. I'd never been to NOLA before and my wife went one time years ago in high school.

We aren't drinkers, so we avoided that scene.

Here's a trip report - feel free to ask questions:
We arrived late on Friday and we checked into the Drury Inn. Nice hotel.

Saturday - we drove ourselves around most of the day, probably a mistake. We should have got a RTA pass. Parking was sometimes hard to find and was expensive.

Ate breakfast at Willa Jeans - good food. I had the fried chicken sandwich and my wife had biscuits and gravy. My wife liked her, particularly the gravy, but the biscuits were more like puff pastry style rather than buttermilk style.

From there, we went to the WW2 museum. We couldn't find their parking lot, it wasn't well marked, so we parked in a public lot around the corner. We spent about 5 hours in the museum and saw a lot, but could have spent much longer. We also did the Beyond All Boundaries movie which was excellent.

We were still full from breakfast, so we drove over to Mardi Gras World which was much more interesting than I expected. It's a bit expensive for what it is, particularly if you also pay for parking. The free shuttle might be a good alternative.

The timing worked out well. We took the Riverfront down to the Riverwalk area. Browsed a few shops, then stopped at the Cafe Dumonde there for beignets. I'm not a big sweets person, so my opinion shouldn't count for much, but I didn't see what the big deal was. To me, they were just okay powdered sugar donuts. My five enjoyed them though and she loved the cafe au lait (I'm not a coffee drinker).

After returning to the hotel, we decided to go to Clesi's for dinner. It seemed like more of a 'locals' place and gave us the opportunity to go out into a neighborhood. We did a quick Google Map street view and didn't see much parking, so we took a Lyft over. The food was fantastic - I think the best of the trip. My wife had the jambalaya and I had the gumbo. We also had the boudin appetizer which was also very good.

The downside of going away from the tourist areas is that it took about 30 minutes to get a Lyft/Uber back to the city.

We had booked pool time (they only let 20 people use the pool at the same time) so we went up to use the hot tub. There was an annoying family that joined us in the hot tub - a mother, two 'adult' daughters, and a son. We know the daughters were 'adults' because we listed to about 30 minutes of them all arguing about how they are adults and that they can do what they want and that they weren't really drunk - except that all of the women were. They also said they were gong to ride the trolley about 40 times.

Eventually they left and a nice family joined us in the hot tub for the rest of the hour.

Sunday - we discovered that the hotel walls were very thin when we heard our neighbor arguing with someone over who paid for which round of drinks.

We did the free breakfast at the hotel (it was okay) and changed our getting around tactics and decided to buy RTA passes. We each downloaded the app, downloaded 1-day passes, and headed to catch the St Charles line to the Garden District.

The RTA app is pretty bad and we ended up hopping on the trolley in the wrong direction. The good news was that we were only 2 or 3 stops from the end of the line, so we just stayed on and eventually headed in the right direction.

We walked around the Garden District for a few hours looking at the houses. Nice walk and we had beautiful weather. There was a lot of street work in the area, so you had to watch where you were going. Unfortunately, the Lafayette #1 cemetery was closed.

We hopped back on the St Charles trolley and took it to where we could switch to the Riverfront line.

We trolley'd down to the French Market and grabbed something small to eat at a shop there. I got 1/4 muffaletta and my wife got a hummus plate. Both were very good. While sitting there, we decided to book a haunted tour that evening.

We headed back to the hotel for a bit, then took a Lyft to the French Quarter. We walked around for an hour or so, then stopped into Cafe Pontalba to grab some quick snacks before out haunted tour. My wife got crab cakes and I got cajun spring rolls. Both were very good.

We had a few minutes before our tour with Haunted History Tours. the tour was okay. We had a group of 11 which felt like a good size. The guide said they normally have up to 30 per group - that would be way too big.

After the tour, we went to the Gumbo Shop for dinner. We waited for about 30 minutes to get in. I had the etoufee and my wife had grilled chicken. The etoufee was okay, not the best I've ever had. It did have a lot of crayfish in it, but didn't taste like much. It had clearly been microwaved, too. It had that dull look on the top and spoonfuls from one side of the bowl were warm and from the other side were steaming hot. The chicken breast was much better.

Monday - walked to Streetcar Cafe for breakfast. My wife got the biscuits and gravy and liked the biscuits better than Willa Jeans (but said Willa Jeans gravy was better). I had an omelette and it was good.

It was cooler and windy this morning, so we decided to go to the aquarium. We bought day passes for RTA and headed that way. The aquarium was nice, but far smaller than we expected. We took our time and were through in less than 90 minutes. We also decided to buy passes for the Creole Queen Historic Cruise later that afternoon.

My wife wanted to head to the original Cafe Dumonde, so we hopped back on the trolley. It was one of our longest waits for the trolley and the arrival time kept changing on the app. Overall, the RTA app was confusing and much less helpful than it should have been. For this ride, the wait started at 22 minutes and counted down until it got to 2 minutes, then shot back up to 14. It started counting down, then went back up to 20, then down to 4, then up to 18.

A couple that had been waiting longer than we had started to walk away. They got about 10 feet when the trolley came around the bend.

We also noticed that none of the screens on the trolleys were working that day. The previous day, we were able to see what stops were coming up, but not this day. That made it a bit more challenging.

We were using the app for our tickets and I think we only successfully scanned them 3 times between the two of us. In most of our rides, the scanners weren't working. Sometimes the driver would ask to see the app, other times they'd just waive you on with barely a glance.

At Cafe Dumonde, the front line was super long, so we chose to go to the back to the 'to go' line. We saw a lot in the 'to go' line go in and get tables anyway. I'd guess we waited about 25 minutes. We were going to take them up to the Riverwalk but it was so windy, we figured the powdered sugar would pose a bigger issue than normal. We found a bench behind the shops and ate there.

We headed back to the trolley and had another long wait. We were cutting it very close for the cruise. The trolleys were a good way to get around, but if you are on a schedule, allow yourself at least 30 minutes longer than you think you should.

We did a fast walk from the trolley stop to the dock and saw a short line to get on the cruise. We hopped in line, they asked if we wanted our picture, we went to the temperature check, then heard someone else in line say they needed to exchange their emailed receipt for paper tickets. We asked a worker and they said we had to do the exchange. Over at the ticket booth, there was a long line to do so. They said not to worry, they wouldn't leave until everyone was on.

We exchanged and boarded and there were no seats left on the top deck - none that weren't marked with 'do not use' for social distancing... and even half of those were being used. We decided to take one of the 'do not use' benches. Wasn't ideal, not proud of it, but being outside made us feel a little better about the choice. It was very windy, too.

The cruise was nice. The speaker they had was really good - he was a great story teller. We enjoyed hearing the history of New Orleans, the talk at the battlefield, and the Katrina story on the return trip.

After some shopping, we were ready for dinner and went to Mother's for some po boys. We both got the roast beef and they were good.

Back at the hotel we were in our room and my wife wanted a Coke so I headed out and towards CVS that was a few blocks away. I'd guess it was 9:30 or so and the streets were pretty empty. I ended up finding Rouse's and stopped in there instead. I passed a few women out walking their dogs, so it seemed like it's generally a safe area.

Our last morning, we checked out and went to Toast for breakfast. We went to the Fairgrounds location as it was on our way out. I think they quoted a 30 minute wait, but it was less than 10. We each got a savory crepe and they were both good... and large.

We had a great time and did most everything we wanted to do. There were a few things that required reservations but were booked - Sazerac tour, Old New Orleans Rum tour, and the Pharmacy Museum were the main ones.

My very amateur tips based on our 3 days there:
  • Use public transportation - the app isn't great, the times aren't reliable, but it's cheap and less stressful than driving and looking for parking
  • If you need to be somewhere at a specific time, either allow a lot of extra time and take the trolley or use Uber/Lyft or drive
  • We didn't feel unsafe anywhere we went, but like any major city, be aware of your surroundings
  • Parking, food, and admission is expensive - the high sales tax adds to it
  • A lot of things seemed to be closed on Mondays

Thanks so much for the trip report! How was mask wearing? I’m not a fan but follow rules anywhere we go so would love to know what to expect ie restaurants, riverwalk, on tours, in the hotel, on trolleys Etc. Wondering how long we should wait to go or just go ASAP and know it will be comfortable no matter what!!

Thanks so much for the trip report! How was mask wearing? I’m not a fan but follow rules anywhere we go so would love to know what to expect ie restaurants, riverwalk, on tours, in the hotel, on trolleys Etc. Wondering how long we should wait to go or just go ASAP and know it will be comfortable no matter what!!
Mask wearing was pretty good - better than we are used to in our small town.

Masks were required for the trolleys and, for the most part, people kept them on. We did see a driver refuse to let on a family that didn't have masks. They argued that they rode one earlier and didn't have masks, but he wasn't having it.

Once onboard, we did see some noses peek out and some turn their mask into a chin strap, but it was a small percentage.

Hotel - we didn't see a lot of people outside of the areas where masks weren't required (the breakfast area and the pool), but in the public areas, everyone we saw had on masks.

Restaurants - masks weren't required while seated and pretty much everyone took them off when they sat down. There were a lot of places with outdoor seating where that might be less of an issue for you.

Riverwalk - in most outdoor areas (sidewalks, riverwalk, parks, etc), mask usage was low.

Tours - on the haunted tour, our group was 100% the whole time except when someone was taking a sip of their drink. On the river boat, we stayed on the top deck where masks usage was low.

In the shops, mask usage was very high.

Thanks for all this... I did not realize there were trolleys, or that we would be close enough to walk... so adding this to the list to check out... We won't have a car...

I think that I will run by triple AAA and pick up a map, or maybe see if DH is in the area to drop in and get one for us...

Harrahs is on Poydras St... is what the confirmation address is?

Is the Mardi Gras museum, have the Hurricane display as well? our friends said it was worth a look see..

I have Cafe Du Monde on the list... as well we were thinking about doing a dinner cruise on the paddle boats.. So friends went and they really enjoyed it, and said the Jazz music on board was really good... So that is on the list as well...
Also check around b/c a lot of things still have restrictions. Our mayor has had us under stricter restrictions than other parts of the state.

Otherwise just be careful, there are less tourists and that’s translated into more crime at the moment. I’ve always felt perfectly safe there, but that’s my two cents.

Should we rethink going to New Orleans... if crime is totally out of control there and it not safe to even walk around during the day and night.. maybe we should just skip it...

Do you feel its unsafe to walk around during the day? Night? Would it be unsafe for us to walk from Harrahs to the WWII museum during the day? We were thinking about doing a night walking tour, so do you think that we should skip it? going out at night?

As well what about police patrolling in the tourist areas? or was the police de-funded in New Orleans? I would think that protecting the tourist and tourist area would be important, so that they can spend their money and boost the economy would be a priority for the city... If the tourist don't feel safe coming, things are likely to get alot worse... I know here in Orlando and surrounding areas the police present is visible and they work so hard... We appreciate them...

We are pretty seasoned traveler's, and do take precautions and we are very aware of our surroundings... But if we are going to have to be fearful, and afraid to walk around and enjoy what New Orleans has to offer, it really would not be worth it to go...

Thoughts?
No it’s definitely not that bad. It’s no different than any urban area if you’ve traveled or have lived to/in one. Don’t wander off the beating path at night. If it it looks like you maybe shouldn’t be in that area, then don’t go there.

At that time of year, you need to go to a crawfish boil. Because of the pandemic most of the places that do per-person boils are take-out only, but there are a few that have outdoor seating. Ciesi's is probably a good option; they are on Bienville in Mid-City; you can get there via the Canal St. streetcar if you like, get off at Alexander St. (4 blocks past Carrollton), and then walk 2 blocks to the northeast. (You will probably want to take a car back to the CBD after dinner, though.)

Here is a tip if you've never eaten boiled crawfish: before you go, grab that little bottle of hand lotion from the hotel bathroom and take it with you. When you wash your hands after eating, generously "wash" them with lotion before adding soap; making sure to rub thoroughly and get it under your nails as well. The oil in the lotion will bond with the oil from the crawfish drippings, making it possible to easily and completely remove all the pepper oil from your skin. Be especially careful not to touch your eyes until your hands have been thoroughly cleaned; the oil on your fingers will make your eyes sting. (Many people who normally wear contacts will wear glasses to a boil, so as to avoid having to take out the contacts afterward.)

The museum with the Katrina Exhibit and the Mardi Gras exhibits as well is the Presbytere, next to St. Louis Cathedral on Jackson Square. The Cabildo is on the other side of the church. Both buildings are part of the Louisiana State Museum, and I advise touring them both (the Cabildo has a new exhibit on the Battle of New Orleans which I haven't seen yet.) You also might want to consider the exhibition rooms of the Historic New Orleans Collection; they are in the 500 block of Royal St. Pretty much all the museums in the city are requiring patrons to get tickets in advance on their websites so that they can control visitor traffic, so be sure to go online before you leave and book your visit times. The other "Mardi Gras museum" that has been mentioned here is Blaine Kern's Mardi Gras World, which is on Algiers Point (take the ferry over.) Kern Studios designs and builds most of the parade floats used during Carnival, and the tour there is primarily about parades and the art of float building, while the one at the Presbytere is more about the Balls and the traditions of the season, including some truly magnificent costumes.

PS: A few directions, because in NOLA they are given a bit differently. All areas of the city at large are defined as being on the East Bank or the West Bank of the Mississippi River, and that designation follows the curve of the river, so it is possible to stand on the West Bank and watch the sun set over the East Bank. Everywhere tourists are likely to go without a car will be on the East Bank except Algiers Point, which is on the West Bank across the river from the CBD. While NOLA has an Uptown (where Tulane and Audubon Park are), there is no downtown; your hotel is in the CBD (Central Business District.) The French Quarter (known to locals as just "The Quarter") is northeast from the CBD across Canal, and the Warehouse District is southwest from the CBD across Poydras. Canal Street is the zero marker for North and South addresses; it runs in a straight line from the River to Lake Ponchartrain, passing through the Mid-City area on the way.
Great advice! Boiling crawfish ourselves on the westbank tomorrow! 😊

Great tip on clean up after the crawfish boil... Thanks...
DH and I both like crawfish, not crazy about them ..yet... we do like them if they are in a dish, like gumbo or etouffee...

I made a note to myself about the museums tickets and getting them ahead of time...

I trying to decided on what time we want to fly out, its either really early or really late.. DH is leaning to early so we arrive early, and maybe can do somethings on arrival day... I will know this weekend for sure...

Can we walk from Harrahs to the Quarter? to Cafe du Monde?

Last question for now.. is Uber/Lyft up and running? and is it pretty frequent, and easy to get a driver ?
You can definitely walk. We do it all the time. We usually park by harrahs when we go down there b/c it’s better parking vs trying to park in the fr quarter. Uber/lyft is also running as far as I know.

Funny story for y'all: a couple of years after we got married, back in the early 90s, I took DH home for the Christmas holidays, and we decided to snatch a night for ourselves in the Quarter before leaving NOLA to visit the family. Since we were headed out of town later, and wanted to go have lunch in Bucktown the next day, we picked up a rental at the airport. Hilarity ensued.

I'd reserved a compact car because it was only the 2 of us and I knew I'd be parking it in the Quarter, specifically, on Ursulines St, which is particularly narrow (we were staying at Villa Convento). The money savings was a bonus, but not my primary reason for reserving that car. So, we arrive at the counter, and the guy immediately goes into the upgrade spiel. Nope, I say, I'll take the compact. He tries harder. Still no. Finally he says he'll give me the upgrade for free, and I'm gonna LOVE it, because it's a Crown Vic. Um, nope, I say, not this time; if you insist on upgrading me (by this time I had realized he was low on cars), then I want something with better handling than a Crown Vic. Oh, no, he tells me; you have to experience the Vic to appreciate it, it's so LUXE. Still I refuse. Finally he caves. drops the act, and admits that the Vic is the last car on the lot, and that I'll have to take it if I want wheels. It's getting late by this time, and we're hungry, so I take the wretched thing, but insist on being allowed to come back on our way out of town and switch it for something less geriatric at no extra charge. (DH, both then and now, respects my years of New Orleans driving, I was going to be driving the car.)

So, Ursulines St. at dusk, and I've got to park a Crown Vic. The only space for blocks was on the street, and required parallel parking with not an an inch to spare. It took me a full 20 minutes to maneuver that behemoth into it, having drawn an audience of about 15 people who stopped to watch. Then we spent another 20 trying to get the danged headlights to turn off (we were not wealthy enough to drive new cars back then, neither of us had any experience with delayed-shutdown headlights, and the owner's manual was missing from the glovebox.) DH took a photo of that perfectly-parked land-yacht from our hotel room window, and to this day it's framed in the upstairs hall of our house. DH still talks about that feat of precision parallel parking as if it were a certified miracle, LOL.

What all that is leading up to is the information that parking in the Quarter is indeed a PITA, and doubly so if you are driving a large vehicle. Be aware that if you drive a large SUV, even some of the parking garages could cause you problems, because the older ones don't have sufficient roof clearance. If you drive your own vehicle and it is large, best to park it and leave it while you visit the Quarter. Parking in the CBD is much easier, though it's pretty much all in paid lots. Uptown is mostly street parking, but it's normally fairly easy to find a space on a residential street if you're just grabbing a bite. As in any city, make sure your car is totally empty when you park it; leaving ANY belongings where they can be seen is an invitation to break in.

We returned from our trip. Had a great time. I'd never been to NOLA before and my wife went one time years ago in high school.

We aren't drinkers, so we avoided that scene.

Here's a trip report - feel free to ask questions:
We arrived late on Friday and we checked into the Drury Inn. Nice hotel.

Saturday - we drove ourselves around most of the day, probably a mistake. We should have got a RTA pass. Parking was sometimes hard to find and was expensive.

Ate breakfast at Willa Jeans - good food. I had the fried chicken sandwich and my wife had biscuits and gravy. My wife liked her, particularly the gravy, but the biscuits were more like puff pastry style rather than buttermilk style.

From there, we went to the WW2 museum. We couldn't find their parking lot, it wasn't well marked, so we parked in a public lot around the corner. We spent about 5 hours in the museum and saw a lot, but could have spent much longer. We also did the Beyond All Boundaries movie which was excellent.

We were still full from breakfast, so we drove over to Mardi Gras World which was much more interesting than I expected. It's a bit expensive for what it is, particularly if you also pay for parking. The free shuttle might be a good alternative.

The timing worked out well. We took the Riverfront down to the Riverwalk area. Browsed a few shops, then stopped at the Cafe Dumonde there for beignets. I'm not a big sweets person, so my opinion shouldn't count for much, but I didn't see what the big deal was. To me, they were just okay powdered sugar donuts. My five enjoyed them though and she loved the cafe au lait (I'm not a coffee drinker).

After returning to the hotel, we decided to go to Clesi's for dinner. It seemed like more of a 'locals' place and gave us the opportunity to go out into a neighborhood. We did a quick Google Map street view and didn't see much parking, so we took a Lyft over. The food was fantastic - I think the best of the trip. My wife had the jambalaya and I had the gumbo. We also had the boudin appetizer which was also very good.

The downside of going away from the tourist areas is that it took about 30 minutes to get a Lyft/Uber back to the city.

We had booked pool time (they only let 20 people use the pool at the same time) so we went up to use the hot tub. There was an annoying family that joined us in the hot tub - a mother, two 'adult' daughters, and a son. We know the daughters were 'adults' because we listed to about 30 minutes of them all arguing about how they are adults and that they can do what they want and that they weren't really drunk - except that all of the women were. They also said they were gong to ride the trolley about 40 times.

Eventually they left and a nice family joined us in the hot tub for the rest of the hour.

Sunday - we discovered that the hotel walls were very thin when we heard our neighbor arguing with someone over who paid for which round of drinks.

We did the free breakfast at the hotel (it was okay) and changed our getting around tactics and decided to buy RTA passes. We each downloaded the app, downloaded 1-day passes, and headed to catch the St Charles line to the Garden District.

The RTA app is pretty bad and we ended up hopping on the trolley in the wrong direction. The good news was that we were only 2 or 3 stops from the end of the line, so we just stayed on and eventually headed in the right direction.

We walked around the Garden District for a few hours looking at the houses. Nice walk and we had beautiful weather. There was a lot of street work in the area, so you had to watch where you were going. Unfortunately, the Lafayette #1 cemetery was closed.

We hopped back on the St Charles trolley and took it to where we could switch to the Riverfront line.

We trolley'd down to the French Market and grabbed something small to eat at a shop there. I got 1/4 muffaletta and my wife got a hummus plate. Both were very good. While sitting there, we decided to book a haunted tour that evening.

We headed back to the hotel for a bit, then took a Lyft to the French Quarter. We walked around for an hour or so, then stopped into Cafe Pontalba to grab some quick snacks before out haunted tour. My wife got crab cakes and I got cajun spring rolls. Both were very good.

We had a few minutes before our tour with Haunted History Tours. the tour was okay. We had a group of 11 which felt like a good size. The guide said they normally have up to 30 per group - that would be way too big.

After the tour, we went to the Gumbo Shop for dinner. We waited for about 30 minutes to get in. I had the etoufee and my wife had grilled chicken. The etoufee was okay, not the best I've ever had. It did have a lot of crayfish in it, but didn't taste like much. It had clearly been microwaved, too. It had that dull look on the top and spoonfuls from one side of the bowl were warm and from the other side were steaming hot. The chicken breast was much better.

Monday - walked to Streetcar Cafe for breakfast. My wife got the biscuits and gravy and liked the biscuits better than Willa Jeans (but said Willa Jeans gravy was better). I had an omelette and it was good.

It was cooler and windy this morning, so we decided to go to the aquarium. We bought day passes for RTA and headed that way. The aquarium was nice, but far smaller than we expected. We took our time and were through in less than 90 minutes. We also decided to buy passes for the Creole Queen Historic Cruise later that afternoon.

My wife wanted to head to the original Cafe Dumonde, so we hopped back on the trolley. It was one of our longest waits for the trolley and the arrival time kept changing on the app. Overall, the RTA app was confusing and much less helpful than it should have been. For this ride, the wait started at 22 minutes and counted down until it got to 2 minutes, then shot back up to 14. It started counting down, then went back up to 20, then down to 4, then up to 18.

A couple that had been waiting longer than we had started to walk away. They got about 10 feet when the trolley came around the bend.

We also noticed that none of the screens on the trolleys were working that day. The previous day, we were able to see what stops were coming up, but not this day. That made it a bit more challenging.

We were using the app for our tickets and I think we only successfully scanned them 3 times between the two of us. In most of our rides, the scanners weren't working. Sometimes the driver would ask to see the app, other times they'd just waive you on with barely a glance.

At Cafe Dumonde, the front line was super long, so we chose to go to the back to the 'to go' line. We saw a lot in the 'to go' line go in and get tables anyway. I'd guess we waited about 25 minutes. We were going to take them up to the Riverwalk but it was so windy, we figured the powdered sugar would pose a bigger issue than normal. We found a bench behind the shops and ate there.

We headed back to the trolley and had another long wait. We were cutting it very close for the cruise. The trolleys were a good way to get around, but if you are on a schedule, allow yourself at least 30 minutes longer than you think you should.

We did a fast walk from the trolley stop to the dock and saw a short line to get on the cruise. We hopped in line, they asked if we wanted our picture, we went to the temperature check, then heard someone else in line say they needed to exchange their emailed receipt for paper tickets. We asked a worker and they said we had to do the exchange. Over at the ticket booth, there was a long line to do so. They said not to worry, they wouldn't leave until everyone was on.

We exchanged and boarded and there were no seats left on the top deck - none that weren't marked with 'do not use' for social distancing... and even half of those were being used. We decided to take one of the 'do not use' benches. Wasn't ideal, not proud of it, but being outside made us feel a little better about the choice. It was very windy, too.

The cruise was nice. The speaker they had was really good - he was a great story teller. We enjoyed hearing the history of New Orleans, the talk at the battlefield, and the Katrina story on the return trip.

After some shopping, we were ready for dinner and went to Mother's for some po boys. We both got the roast beef and they were good.

Back at the hotel we were in our room and my wife wanted a Coke so I headed out and towards CVS that was a few blocks away. I'd guess it was 9:30 or so and the streets were pretty empty. I ended up finding Rouse's and stopped in there instead. I passed a few women out walking their dogs, so it seemed like it's generally a safe area.

Our last morning, we checked out and went to Toast for breakfast. We went to the Fairgrounds location as it was on our way out. I think they quoted a 30 minute wait, but it was less than 10. We each got a savory crepe and they were both good... and large.

We had a great time and did most everything we wanted to do. There were a few things that required reservations but were booked - Sazerac tour, Old New Orleans Rum tour, and the Pharmacy Museum were the main ones.

My very amateur tips based on our 3 days there:
  • Use public transportation - the app isn't great, the times aren't reliable, but it's cheap and less stressful than driving and looking for parking
  • If you need to be somewhere at a specific time, either allow a lot of extra time and take the trolley or use Uber/Lyft or drive
  • We didn't feel unsafe anywhere we went, but like any major city, be aware of your surroundings
  • Parking, food, and admission is expensive - the high sales tax adds to it
  • A lot of things seemed to be closed on Mondays

Oh my gosh what a great trip report... Thank you so much... !!!

We are planning to use the trolleys to get around. We have learned that the hop on hop off system is a great way to get around when available. Where did you buy your tickets? online? I will say that we have some old Disney lanyards with a little see through like wallet that clips onto them... that we put the actual tickets in, just in case the phone method does work, we don't wear them around our next or anything like that, I just stick them in the my crossbody or the back pack for the just in case moments ... I am kinda old school, and a planner which is a whole other issue.... LOL meaning I print everything and have a travel folder that we keep everything in, as well put it on my phone... You never know which method is going to work the best...

I am pretty sure that we will skip Cafe Du Monde... DH and I really aren't big donuts people, and DH doesn't drink coffee so for us it really not a high priority at all... am I right that all they serve at Cafe Du Monde is just coffee and beignets?... I would like some suggestions on brunch or a nice breakfast...

Since we are planning to visit later in the year now, I am wondering if the Lafayette #1 cemetery will be opened later on in the year... Our neighbor said that the only way you can go in when it is opened is with a tour group?

Also check around b/c a lot of things still have restrictions. Our mayor has had us under stricter restrictions than other parts of the state.

That's another reason that we are pulling back and waiting to come visit... Hopefully by then, we won't be required to wear mask everywhere... and it gets hot and humid there, like it does here in Florida... What's October like heat and humidity wise?

We are planning to use the trolleys to get around. We have learned that the hop on hop off system is a great way to get around when available. Where did you buy your tickets? online? I will say that we have some old Disney lanyards with a little see through like wallet that clips onto them... that we put the actual tickets in, just in case the phone method does work, we don't wear them around our next or anything like that, I just stick them in the my crossbody or the back pack for the just in case moments ... I am kinda old school, and a planner which is a whole other issue.... LOL meaning I print everything and have a travel folder that we keep everything in, as well put it on my phone... You never know which method is going to work the best...
We bought our trolley passes on the RTA app and used that. I found it easier than carrying a paper pass, but YMMV. I figured, we needed to use the app to figure out our path anyway so having the ticket on there was convenient.

The QR scanners for the app tickets didn't work most of the time, but it never posed an issue. If your code won't scan, just show the phone to the driver. Most didn't care either way lol

I am pretty sure that we will skip Cafe Du Monde... DH and I really aren't big donuts people, and DH doesn't drink coffee so for us it really not a high priority at all... am I right that all they serve at Cafe Du Monde is just coffee and beignets?... I would like some suggestions on brunch or a nice breakfast...
IMO, it's perfectly skippable. I'm not a big sweets person, but I do enjoy a good donut from time to time - I just didn't think these were anything special. But clearly many people do. Yes, food wise, it's beignets only. And maybe that was my issue, had they been flavored with something other than just powdered sugar, I might have had a better experience. (Like, I am always up for a VooDoo donut when we visit Universal).

I think they had hot chocolate, but not sure if that's year round. I got a bottle of water. My wife did love the cafe au lait, though.

Since we are planning to visit later in the year now, I am wondering if the Lafayette #1 cemetery will be opened later on in the year... Our neighbor said that the only way you can go in when it is opened is with a tour group?
Lafayette #1 is open to the public and can be self-toured (when it's open, obviously). I think it's the St Louis cemetery that requires a tour.

There were no details on the sign - just 'closed for restoration'.

That's another reason that we are pulling back and waiting to come visit... Hopefully by then, we won't be required to wear mask everywhere... and it gets hot and humid there, like it does here in Florida... What's October like heat and humidity wise?
About the same as FL. You might have a cool front come in then, but if not, it’s likely highs in the 80s with high humidity. Nights are more comfortable by then though. Also, you don’t have to wear masks outside here so that’s good.

Court of 2 sisters has a brunch I think.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter