• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New "Navigators"

HiStitch626

DIS Veteran
Scott posted Navigators from one of the Staycation cruises and they are pretty awful. I think Scott and the helpful person who sent them did the best they could, but the images are not nearly as useful as the old Navigator paper style.

Yeah, the images were pretty hard to read on my computer monitor. I can't believe they will be any better on my phone screen. And the layout is awful. @ghtx had it right.

Well both my parents have flip phones if they can find them. This should be interesting🙄
My DH has a flip phone also. So many services today utilize QR codes, text, Authenticator, and other digital communications this will be another problem for me, I'm the DH's Smartphone personal assistant!

I am on the Dream now and you can see activities on your stateroom TV if this helps anyone. They have the TV Guide style and the List Style. The TV Guide style you can scroll over and highlight it to get more info on it.

View attachment 607184

View attachment 607185

View attachment 607186
Thank you for this. And I notice 1820 society is posted! Have been reading trip reports that list it as unavailable, as well as asked 3 different CM via the chat function on the website, and nobody was able to confirm if it was available. But there it is!

I am on the Dream now and you can see activities on your stateroom TV if this helps anyone. They have the TV Guide style and the List Style. The TV Guide style you can scroll over and highlight it to get more info on it.
Thank you. Can you get this format style to show up on the smartphone screen or is it just on the TV?

Thank you for this. And I notice 1820 society is posted! Have been reading trip reports that list it as unavailable, as well as asked 3 different CM via the chat function on the website, and nobody was able to confirm if it was available. But there it is!
I had read reports about the lack of 1820 society but I was on the Sept 18th Fantasy and noticed multiple activities for 1820 society in the daily activities.

I was on Magic last week and they had a couple of printed single use menus for those that unable to use the app.
But like others said we already spend too much time on apps, when I go on vacation I want to get away from the phone - but will work with this currently to get back onto the ships

So so so bummed about no paper navigator. I’m just hoping that enough people comment about it that it will have to return for future cruises.

I really can't see paper navigators coming back. There is a big push in business to reduce paper and to be more sustainable. The use of Aps and digital technology is part of that.

The Walt Disney Company has a section on the website all about Environmental Sustainability

I had read reports about the lack of 1820 society but I was on the Sept 18th Fantasy and noticed multiple activities for 1820 society in the daily activities.

this group can be hit or miss anyway depending on the week. Back in the day I did it, called something else then. Did a back go back and the one week nothing, and the next week so many things

I really can't see paper navigators coming back. There is a big push in business to reduce paper and to be more sustainable. The use of Aps and digital technology is part of that.

The Walt Disney Company has a section on the website all about Environmental Sustainability
Digital technology isn't particularly sustainable. From today's "Do Just One Thing" column:
"Whenever you stream a video, do an internet search or buy something online, energy is used beyond just what your phone or laptop is drawing. Those bytes of information come from a data center where an incredible amount of energy is consumed to meet the constant demand from users. In fact, these centers currently use a whopping 2% of the world's energy."

Add in the mining needed for the metals in phones, the lack of recycling of phones and other e-waste--"digital technology" isn't saving the planet.

Digital technology isn't particularly sustainable. From today's "Do Just One Thing" column:
"Whenever you stream a video, do an internet search or buy something online, energy is used beyond just what your phone or laptop is drawing. Those bytes of information come from a data center where an incredible amount of energy is consumed to meet the constant demand from users. In fact, these centers currently use a whopping 2% of the world's energy."

Add in the mining needed for the metals in phones, the lack of recycling of phones and other e-waste--"digital technology" isn't saving the planet.

There is an error though in your thought process.
  • You will still have your phone
  • Datacenters are more easily able to be environmentally friendly through improvements in efficiency (including through renewable energy consumption)
Additionally Datacenters are built for maximum workload which means there is lots of wasted potential much of the time easily allowing to pull the workloads of feed documents to devices.

Long term the hope is that more Datacenters start moving to more eco-friendly locations and leveraging more environmentally friendly processes as well. I think there are starting to be some located in locations that can be run through solar. Even if solar is not as efficient today its all about building a blueprint for future improvement IMO.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter