New MK Paid Disney After Hours Event Announced

That is our date as well and I too feel the same as you but my concern is it will get very crowded from 7:00 pm and Wishes will be impossible to see. Chances for getting a 4th FP after 7:00pm may be non existent. Not sure if we should switch our date to Saturday May 14th. Not sure which would be the best option as far as crowds

You are right to be concerned! My daughter and I decided to go to the MK last November on an early close night. They had Mickey's Christmas Party! We got there at 3PM and had a great time without much wait. However, at 4PM they let the gaits open for the party people, and you could NOT get on a ride after that. It was mega crowded. Just walking was a chore. We said, never again, and left disappointed

If they are going to have a special party starting at 7pm, why not START it at 7pm. Then all the people who paid regular park admission to utilize the park til party time would be able to enjoy what they paid for.
I don't think you will be happy if you go expecting not to run into this problem. It is already happening with the special parties!

OMG... Disney customer service just called me a few minutes ago in reference to an email I sent them last week complaining that they had not released party dates for the Halloween party yet. The chick who called had already left me a message on the answering machine so I already knew what she was going to say which is that the party dates will not be released until sometime possibly next month or early May.

So she starts to tell me the same thing that she'd already left on my answering machine, with the enthusiasm of Ben Stein. I swear I've never heard of less enthusiastic cast member and all my 39 years. When she was done I very politely told her that honestly she had called me at a bad time because I have been in a very poor Disney related mood because of yesterday's announcement of this after-hours nonsense and the discovery that there looks to be also some early morning nonsense coming soon too.

I very calmly told her my thoughts on the matter, that it was ridiculously priced, and that it was a move that has been showing massive unpopularity in the Disney community amongst fans.

She flatly says I can't comment on any of that. Do you have any other questions about Halloween party? Have a magical day. Click.

The bad taste in my mouth seems to be getting a little worse.

Wow. The sad thing is that some out there answered surveys that said they would pay extra...with the whole FP+ debacle, those that might only get to the park once might be willing to extract as much out of the park as they can and be willing to pay for it.

That is some expensive free coffee and ice cream, however.

I voted with my wallet but disney could care less.

Whew. Just got finished reading the whole thread. I bury my head in work for a week and don't skim the boards and the whole World changes while I am gone. It took me a "heads up" email from Touring Plans to bring this who issue to my attention. Lots has been said. Not sure what I can add. But here are some random thoughts and some replies to previous posts.

• I am a little surprised at the skepticism some showed toward the OP before it became "official". The "rumor" was broadcast simultaneously by several sources that have proven to be very reliable in the past. As much as we all like to challenge the authenticity of things we read on the internet, when it comes to WDW, rumors posted by certain sources prove to be true far more often than not.
  • For the same price as the ticket for 3 extra hours in the MK, (a park that most people will be going to already at some point in their trip), that same family could spend an entire day at Universal with Two-Park Passes.
  • I know that there has been no suggestion that EMHs are going away, but it seems to me that if Disney really wants to sell tickets to this event, it is doing itself no favors by having EMHs at the MK on Wednesdays that don't cost on site guests extra. And as for the argument that the After Hours event allows off-site guests to get in on the action, well, for as long as the earth has been cooling, Disney has been doing its level best to attract people to its on site hotels. If the After Hours event is being marketed to off-site guests, that seems to undercut their strategy to lure people on site. Unless, of course, if on site hotels are at full capacity and they no longer need to attract more guests. But I don't think that is the case.
  • This Board is comprised of some of the most hard-core Disney fans on the planet and the enthusiasm for this event is sorely lacking here. If the staunchest supporters cannot get behind this idea, will the casual fan?
  • I attended many E-Ticket Nights. They were great. But I paid between $8-$12 for each of those. $149 is way beyond my comfort level for the joy of riding Splash Mountain 4 times in succession without getting out of the log.
  • As for "very limited capacity", will the first person who calls for a ticket and is told that the event is sold out please come back here and post that fact. I won't be holding my breath.

You don't have fewer hours in the park, nothing is taken away from your park day.
You don't even know the recommendations will change. Even if they do it's not taking anything away from what you have paid for
I have plans that are set in stone. Included among those plans is a full day at the MK on 4/21. There is an Electrical Parade scheduled for 11:00 p.m. and I plan on attending that. But now, a few thousand people will be added to the park. So while my original hours have not been taken away from me, something just as valuable has--space. I planned to stay for the 11:00 parade because it is far less crowded. Now? Maybe not so much. We'll see. But space is a valued commodity at WDW, and from 7:00pm-11:00pm, and then again during the parade, space has been taken away from me and sold to others. I consider that "losing something". I would be much happier as a "regular guest" if they didn't allow the hard ticket people in until 10:00pm. Taking space away from me in the park and in the restaurants for dinner is a significant loss.

So, thanks Disney for making me plan out my trip months in advance, then add these events all under 60 days for on-site guests who have already made their plans. Total Fail!
I'm in the same boat. Just when you think you have done what Disney asks and "locked it in", Disney comes along and picks the lock. I suppose that Disney owes me nothing in this regard, but it is still frustrating.

Guests will be given arm bands.
Given? For how long? When will off-site guests have to pay an extra $12 for their armband?

I don't see that as accurate at all either. We are most certainly middle class. As is everyone I know who goes to Disney. I'd venture to guess the majority of the posters here are also.
While that may be true, how many of your middle class friends and how many middle class posters are going to bite on this event? While it is too broad to suggest that Disney does not market to the middle class, it is certainly not a stretch to suggest that this event thumbs its nose at the middle class.

Guessing they're not marketing to families with young kids either; hazarding another guess that most young families won't pay $150 per child for a late night offering.
Agree completely. Odd that they would create an event that so obviously limits families of young children. Especially when the event includes no uniquely "adult" offerings. At DHS or Epcot, this type of thing would make more sense. But ice cream and soda isn't going to lure me into a park for an "adult evening".

I don't know ANY megafans that are even thinking about purchasing this.
Agree. As I noted above, if the guests with the deepest passion for Disney aren't going to bite, who will?

Just because most here hate it, doesn't mean it's not going to work.
Sometimes that is exactly what it means. If you can't sell something to the people who already drop the most money into your pockets, who do you think is going to pay the price? I suppose we will soon find out.

Most posters here don't trust Disney anymore and are willing to anticipate the worst possible outcome.
We've been given good reason of late.

A phone cm told a caller that day guests just won't be able to ride but will be able to stay.

Who knows if that's actually true.
I think it has to be true. As noted above, I am going on a day when the hard ticket event begins at 11:00, and there is an Electrical Parade scheduled for 11:00. I can't imagine that I am going to be kicked out before the parade starts. If so, you will be reading about me in the police blotter in the Orlando Sentinel.

I seen this in the paper today don't know if it's been posted be here it is.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trav...after-hours-magic-kingdom-20160322-story.html

Walt Disney World is now offering an after-hours event at Magic Kingdom that will keep parts of the theme park open for three extra hours -- but for a limited number of people.

The Disney After Hours price is $149 per person.

The park will close to regular day guests at 10 p.m. on April 28 and May 5, and it will close at 11 p.m. on April 14, April 21, May 8, May 12 and May 19. Folks who have purchased the After Hours option will be allowed to stay in select areas of the Magic Kingdom for three additional hours.

Check-in for the event takes place at Magic Kingdom's main entrance beginning at 7 p.m. The $149 ticket allows entry into the theme park at that time.

Disney is not revealing how many After Hours tickets will be sold.

Among the open attractions will be Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Peter Pan's Flight, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Space Mountain and Princess Fairytale Hall, according to the official Disney World website.

Disney After Hours also will include select ice-cream treats and bottled beverages. Some items will be available for purchase at Casey's Corner at the Starbucks location on Main Street U.S.A.

To purchase an After Hours ticket, call 407-827-7185.

Copyright © 2016, Orlando Sentinel

by Taboola
Sponsored Links

FROM AROUND THE WEB

Disney is not revealing how many After Hours tickets will be sold.
This, to me, proves that there is no actual "limit". If there really were a limit, it would be in Disney's best interest to broadcast what that limit is so that people can rush to get in on the action before the sell-out. There is no reason why the total number would be a closely guarded secret. To the contrary, you would want people to know that the commodity is limited.

UNBELIEVABLE. Caseys and Starbucks will be OPEN if you want to PURCHASE food? For the price you should receive a sit down dinner at the restaurant of your CHOICE. Bad Disney!!!

Well, I think they are predicting that folks will use the 3 hours for rides, characters and non-eating. I wouldn't waste that time eating. So makes no sense to keep many eateries open.

But sadly if I were hungry, I wouldn't eat at either of those anyway - so guess I would just have to fill up on my free Mickey Ears! :earboy2:

Not that I'm going.

I could see conventioneers being an audience for this - company paid for airfare, hotel and food. This is only $150 total for them to go out after their day conference, shorter lines, longer hours still left of park time.

If I was there for a convention, I'd buy the discounted convention ticket or not go at all. But...that's just me. I must be missing something, because this idea just baffles me.

This is the exact boat my husband and I are in. He's being sent to Orlando for a conference the last week of April. I can't stress enough that if this were a normal vacation for us, we would NEVER opt for the After Hours event. But since the company is paying for the hotel we can't stay on-site so we don't get EMH. And this particular conference is very much a "hard-core" conference, meaning no skipping out early and the meetings last from 7:30am until at least 6pm every night (one night going as late as 7pm).

So even with the discount tickets, we'd be paying around $130 to be in the parks at most from 7pm until 10pm. Or we can pay $300 and get park time from 7pm until 1 or 2am. Yes, it's much more expensive at first glance but actually works out to be close to the same cost per hour *in this scenario*. Plus, we'll get to be in the parks when it is cooler and (hopefully) less crowded, though I'm keeping my expectations low!

I will report back after April 28th and let you all know how it went, although interest in the topic may have dropped off by then! :)

They don't ever publicize ticket limits on events. This is no different and it doesn't mean they will sell unlimited tickets. Or that there will be enough purchasers to crowd the park. But it's a crap shoot until you see how the first parties go.

Well, I think they are predicting that folks will use the 3 hours for rides, characters and non-eating. I wouldn't waste that time eating. So makes no sense to keep many eateries open.

But sadly if I were hungry, I wouldn't eat at either of those anyway - so guess I would just have to fill up on my free Mickey Ears! :earboy2:

Not that I'm going.
Based on recent events I'm curious how easy it will be to get those Mickey Ears. I'm afraid the line for the "free" items will be longer than the line for Buzz.

Whew. Just got finished reading the whole thread. I bury my head in work for a week and don't skim the boards and the whole World changes while I am gone. It took me a "heads up" email from Touring Plans to bring this who issue to my attention. Lots has been said. Not sure what I can add. But here are some random thoughts and some replies to previous posts.

• I am a little surprised at the skepticism some showed toward the OP before it became "official". The "rumor" was broadcast simultaneously by several sources that have proven to be very reliable in the past. As much as we all like to challenge the authenticity of things we read on the internet, when it comes to WDW, rumors posted by certain sources prove to be true far more often than not.
  • For the same price as the ticket for 3 extra hours in the MK, (a park that most people will be going to already at some point in their trip), that same family could spend an entire day at Universal with Two-Park Passes.
  • I know that there has been no suggestion that EMHs are going away, but it seems to me that if Disney really wants to sell tickets to this event, it is doing itself no favors by having EMHs at the MK on Wednesdays that don't cost on site guests extra. And as for the argument that the After Hours event allows off-site guests to get in on the action, well, for as long as the earth has been cooling, Disney has been doing its level best to attract people to its on site hotels. If the After Hours event is being marketed to off-site guests, that seems to undercut their strategy to lure people on site. Unless, of course, if on site hotels are at full capacity and they no longer need to attract more guests. But I don't think that is the case.
  • This Board is comprised of some of the most hard-core Disney fans on the planet and the enthusiasm for this event is sorely lacking here. If the staunchest supporters cannot get behind this idea, will the casual fan?
  • I attended many E-Ticket Nights. They were great. But I paid between $8-$12 for each of those. $149 is way beyond my comfort level for the joy of riding Splash Mountain 4 times in succession without getting out of the log.
  • As for "very limited capacity", will the first person who calls for a ticket and is told that the event is sold out please come back here and post that fact. I won't be holding my breath.

I have plans that are set in stone. Included among those plans is a full day at the MK on 4/21. There is an Electrical Parade scheduled for 11:00 p.m. and I plan on attending that. But now, a few thousand people will be added to the park. So while my original hours have not been taken away from me, something just as valuable has--space. I planned to stay for the 11:00 parade because it is far less crowded. Now? Maybe not so much. We'll see. But space is a valued commodity at WDW, and from 7:00pm-11:00pm, and then again during the parade, space has been taken away from me and sold to others. I consider that "losing something". I would be much happier as a "regular guest" if they didn't allow the hard ticket people in until 10:00pm. Taking space away from me in the park and in the restaurants for dinner is a significant loss.

I'm in the same boat. Just when you think you have done what Disney asks and "locked it in", Disney comes along and picks the lock. I suppose that Disney owes me nothing in this regard, but it is still frustrating.

Given? For how long? When will off-site guests have to pay an extra $12 for their armband?

While that may be true, how many of your middle class friends and how many middle class posters are going to bite on this event? While it is too broad to suggest that Disney does not market to the middle class, it is certainly not a stretch to suggest that this event thumbs its nose at the middle class.

Agree completely. Odd that they would create an event that so obviously limits families of young children. Especially when the event includes no uniquely "adult" offerings. At DHS or Epcot, this type of thing would make more sense. But ice cream and soda isn't going to lure me into a park for an "adult evening".

Agree. As I noted above, if the guests with the deepest passion for Disney aren't going to bite, who will?

Sometimes that is exactly what it means. If you can't sell something to the people who already drop the most money into your pockets, who do you think is going to pay the price? I suppose we will soon find out.

We've been given good reason of late.

I think it has to be true. As noted above, I am going on a day when the hard ticket event begins at 11:00, and there is an Electrical Parade scheduled for 11:00. I can't imagine that I am going to be kicked out before the parade starts. If so, you will be reading about me in the police blotter in the Orlando Sentinel.

I cannot like this post enough. Thank you so much for summarizing everything I believe to be true. Excellent job!

This, to me, proves that there is no actual "limit". If there really were a limit, it would be in Disney's best interest to broadcast what that limit is so that people can rush to get in on the action before the sell-out. There is no reason why the total number would be a closely guarded secret. To the contrary, you would want people to know that the commodity is limited.

BINGO.
Unless, of course, you want the freedom and flexibility to increase that number at any point.

I am glad you have had that experience. We've had APs at DLR since 2004 and the closest we've come to seeing a character on a ride is Darth Vader, on Dumbo, on a T-shirt

Well, we have had APs since 2001 and I see it almost every time I go. I do go practically weekly, though.

Oh, and your post reminded me that the Stormtroopers routinely "patrol" the Star Tours attraction queue and sometimes ride in the cockpit as well!

Whew. Just got finished reading the whole thread. I bury my head in work for a week and don't skim the boards and the whole World changes while I am gone.

I am a little surprised at the skepticism some showed toward the OP before it became "official" ... when it comes to WDW, rumors posted by certain sources prove to be true far more often than not.

I have plans that are set in stone. Included among those plans is a full day at the MK on 4/21. There is an Electrical Parade scheduled for 11:00 p.m. and I plan on attending that.

You could have blinked and missed all the news in just a few days ... as we speak there is a Magical Morning Magic Kingdom event being cooked up that looks like this in reverse.

While I was never skeptical, very curious because I personally believe EMH will go away in lieu of something Disney will make money on ............ I understand how some people didn't believe it. Lots of boys crying wolf anymore and I think many are just at the point they will want to hear it from the source rather than constantly get upset by what ifs since there are so many. Like has anyone posted that they had to pay to park at a resort to go eat counter service??? after that big uproar.

This was a TIGHT LIPPED CLOSELY HELD event that not even CMs at MK knew about. One guy, who talks like a CM, leaked it. It seems it took about 48 hours for some bloggers to get some info on it, maybe they squeezed the leaker, and announced. Again, even Disney CMs were saying they knew nothing about it. Disney not happy about the situation and they were forced to announce it before they planned. Scrambling happening.

While I didn't think it would happen so soon ......... lots of talk about them cancelling the second MSEP parade. This even coming from inside to cut entertainer salaries which are higher. If that is the case, and they decide to implement early ... that 11:00 parade could go away. Don't remember but doesn't 4/20 stop all parade and Wishes FP+? Maybe more is changing...

But something you said made me think .......... they keep the 11:00 parade and there are day guests in the park but it's an 11 hard close. What if those without wristbands are "shoo-ed" to the Hub area at 11 pm to watch parade. Hub and Main Street will not impact the event. Let them shop & eat there. Disney still collects some dollars but they are restricted from all other lands where event is. CMs posted at checkpoints. Could work.

Last edited:
They don't ever publicize ticket limits on events. This is no different and it doesn't mean they will sell unlimited tickets. Or that there will be enough purchasers to crowd the park. But it's a crap shoot until you see how the first parties go.
But it leaves them wide open to grab as much $$$ as they can on those early events, and keep selling more until they get enough complaints to dial the number back, a la the ToT 10-miler after party and the subsequent Villain Bash. The ToT party was clearly oversold, but they went ahead with the free event anyway ("free" still meaning tons of $$$ of regular admissions, plus any food and merch). They pushed up to the point that the complaints made it very clearly "not worth it," and I'll be surprised if they do this any differently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter