New Game System

irish_trip_mom

Mouseketeer
We are about to redo our basement. We are moving our HDTV flatscreen to the basement (getting a new one upstairs), painting, recarpeting, new furniture, etc. We currently have a Wii, and have a controversy of sorts with our 8 yr old kids. A couple of weekend nights a month, our neighbors come over with their kids, and the adults play Rock Band on the Wii. The kids are p.o.ed that we have the game system. OK, they are ok with it most of the time, but at times they really want to play other games (we will let them play with us if they want.) They actually love RockBand night (as they call it) and all get along great.

So we were contemplating a new game system for the basement tv. Of course the kids want another Wii, but that seems just silly to have two of the same for a couple times a month. We've been considering a PS3. For one, it plays Blu-Ray DVDS, and it's a step up in the whole gaming thing for the kids. Then we found out that it has the capability to do the "instant to TV" from Netflix. Yes, we'd need to buy PS3 games, but were thinking that for the other points, it might be an ok decision. Any PS3 or other advice?

We are about to redo our basement. We are moving our HDTV flatscreen to the basement (getting a new one upstairs), painting, recarpeting, new furniture, etc. We currently have a Wii, and have a controversy of sorts with our 8 yr old kids. A couple of weekend nights a month, our neighbors come over with their kids, and the adults play Rock Band on the Wii. The kids are p.o.ed that we have the game system. OK, they are ok with it most of the time, but at times they really want to play other games (we will let them play with us if they want.) They actually love RockBand night (as they call it) and all get along great.

So we were contemplating a new game system for the basement tv. Of course the kids want another Wii, but that seems just silly to have two of the same for a couple times a month. We've been considering a PS3. For one, it plays Blu-Ray DVDS, and it's a step up in the whole gaming thing for the kids. Then we found out that it has the capability to do the "instant to TV" from Netflix. Yes, we'd need to buy PS3 games, but were thinking that for the other points, it might be an ok decision. Any PS3 or other advice?
I love my PS3. But, it just broke a couple weeks ago, so I have to send it in to Sony with $150 to get it fixed... You shouldn't worry about that though because the new slim PS3's are made better than the older fat PS3's.
I don't understand getting a whole new system just because your kids aren't able to play the Wii a couple times a month, unless you really think you'd use it enough playing games and watching BluRay.

I don't understand getting a whole new system just because your kids aren't able to play the Wii a couple times a month, unless you really think you'd use it enough playing games and watching BluRay.

I agree. I think they ne ed to learn to deal to be honest. You let them join in and it's only a few times a month.

Now if you WANT to get a new one for other reasons go ahead but I wouldn't do it just to appease the kids for a bit. A new game system gets expensive, more controls, more games etc. PS3 games are higher than other systems from what I have seen so we held off getting one just yet. We do have a wii though.

We have the original Playstation (yup still works like new and is older than my 9 year old), a game cube, a wii, a ps3 and under the christmas tree this year for my Ds is a playstation 2. We like our video games and the verity is key! I say go for it. That way everyone is happy.

OK, I guess I should say that we do make them deal with it now. Our kids don't play any video games during the week as a family rule. And if these friends are over during the week, they don't play games then, but only when their friends visit on the weekend. That is why they want to play the Wii on a Friday night when their friends are over. But they do deal with it and watch movies, play games or legos. Maybe I made it look as if my children were demanding another system....not so at all.

What my point was is I was looking for opinions about the PS3 for watching DVDs and/or Netflix Instant to TV. It seemed like an economical choice for the addition to the tv system in the basement. But if it's only so-so and we should just get a DVD player, I'd like that information. The part about it being a game system is just another bonus function of it. So if you have input about these features, I'd love to hear that.

OK, I guess I should say that we do make them deal with it now. Our kids don't play any video games during the week as a family rule. And if these friends are over during the week, they don't play games then, but only when their friends visit on the weekend. That is why they want to play the Wii on a Friday night when their friends are over. But they do deal with it and watch movies, play games or legos. Maybe I made it look as if my children were demanding another system....not so at all.

What my point was is I was looking for opinions about the PS3 for watching DVDs and/or Netflix Instant to TV. It seemed like an economical choice for the addition to the tv system in the basement. But if it's only so-so and we should just get a DVD player, I'd like that information. The part about it being a game system is just another bonus function of it. So if you have input about these features, I'd love to hear that.

The bluray player is amazing. I have a 32 inch 720 LCD (which is perfect for an 18 year old college kid) and the movies look crystal clear. The Dark Knight is my Favorite to watch on bluray, and Meet the Robinsons is so colorful and fun to watch. As for netflix, my ps3s been broken since it came out for PS3, so I couldn't tell you anything about that.

Oldest DS wants a PS3 for christmas so I did some research. For an average price of $300 for the system and $60 for the games we decided it just wasn't worth it.

Blue Ray players are much more reasonable in price these days so while for some time this was the best way to get one it isn't anymore. I've found blue ray players for as little as $137 on Amazon. I'm betting that on BF and other "early bird special" days there will be deals for about $100.

Another reason we decided to pass is about 75% of the games are either rated T or M. And most of the games that aren't rated T or M are sports or "Guitar Hero" type games. Not the best game system if your kids are younger.

Hello, not here to offer advise but just noticed that you have triplets. Me too. Mine are 11, gbg. :dance3:

We also have a no play/no tv on weekday rule.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter