• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Express Transportation: $19/day or $29/week-SERVICE ENDING AUGUST 23RD 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought my express bus pass last night at MK at guest services. The cm that I originally spoke to said that APs couldn't buy the pass, but I told that there were many APs purchasing the pass. He had to go back and check to make sure it was okay to allow me to purchase it.

How crowded were the busses yesterday? If it isn't bad for the busiest week of the year, I am sure it will be fine for my trip next week. But it does make me worry that it won't be profitable enough for them to continue offering it.

I haven't read every post in this thread but I read more than half and wonder if the issue or concern of overselling these has been addressed. It's new so not many people probably know about it yet but what happens when we pay for this service and arrive at the stop on time and the bus is full??? To me that's the number one (and only) concern I have.

I haven't read every post in this thread but I read more than half and wonder if the issue or concern of overselling these has been addressed. It's new so not many people probably know about it yet but what happens when we pay for this service and arrive at the stop on time and the bus is full??? To me that's the number one (and only) concern I have.
It was addressed somewhere in one manner
They CM working at the loading location said that if a bus was full they can call for another
It hasn't been put in practice yet that I'm aware of but at least one CM said there was a plan in place

DD and I used it for our 12/17 to 12/22 trip and LOVED IT! Except on our arrival day -- when we got to the IG at Epcot at about 6:00 pm after a day of traveling -- we hopped to 3 parks every day. It was so nice to not have to go to bag check over and over each day and also to be dropped at good spots within each park. Most of the time we rode, we were the only passengers on the bus. We talked with the CMs about how things are going with the Express Transportation and they all acknowledged that it's only a test. A few were sad that we were seeing the backstage area and that Walt would be upset about that. Having taken a number of backstage tours, we were fine with this and didn't think it made things less magical. Most of the CMs seem to understand that giving guests the schedule of departures for each park at the beginning of the day would really help us manage our schedules and make for a better experience. I don't think it would be out of line for them to require passengers to check in for their departure at least 10 minutes before the bus is scheduled to leave. That might be something they're trying to manage by not being forthright with the information. There were a couple of times we arrived for check in and they were having trouble with the iPads; a couple of other times we "just missed" the bus -- so we did stuff for 20 minutes and returned. During our 4 full days of using the Express Transportation, but bus always left exactly when it was scheduled to leave -- like on the exact minute. DD had a 5 day ph and I'm an AP holder. It was easy to purchase at Epcot GS. A bus driver told us that they were originally going to have it priced at $15/day or $24/4 days. They extended the $24 option to 7 days. I think that's the right amount -- both price and days. We will buy this again if it is continued to be offered. Saved us tons of time and allowed us to experience a lot more.

How crowded were the busses yesterday? If it isn't bad for the busiest week of the year, I am sure it will be fine for my trip next week. But it does make me worry that it won't be profitable enough for them to continue offering it.
We bought our passes late last night and didn't use them until tonight going from Epcot to DHS. It's was great! When we arrived at the express bus location the CM told us that our bus would be arriving in 10 minutes, which it did. After we and one other family loaded the bus it pulled out exactly on time. It took ten minutes to get to DHS and walk in the backstage area to RNRC. I sure hope they keep this around forever! It's a no trainer and such a time saver. I'm so glad they started this service just in time for my trip!!

As I said I would much earlier in this thread, I used this service about 2 to 3 weeks ago, on Saturday Dec. 10, for a jam-packed park hopper day.

This was about day 3 of the service for the record, since it started the 8th if I remember correctly, so keep that in mind.

Here's my report of the service, beginning to end:

I arrived at Magic Kingdom about 45 minutes to 1/2 hour before the park opened. I went up to a ticket window at the TTC to purchase this and had no trouble at all. The girl at the ticket window knew exactly what it was, and circled the pickup/drop-off point for me on a map of Magic Kingdom (although I already knew where it was from prior research).

I then took the ferryboat to Magic Kingdom to watch the opening ceremony. Now here's my first little side-story about the service, which will be more relevant later: I asked an employee out front of Magic Kingdom if she could verify the service didn't start until 10am. She didn't have a clue what I was talking about, and thought I was asking her about the standard busses. When I clarified I wasn't, she called another guy over to ask him about it. He didn't have a clue what I was talking about either, and frankly had more questions for ME about it, haha. They finally called a third girl over (each employee seemingly higher ranking than the last), she knew what I was talking about, but wasn't certain when it started or ended and directed me to guest services. Because I had a few minutes to kill before the Opening Ceremony, I took her up on the suggestion and went and asked Guest Services. The girl at that window didn't have a clue either. She asked her supervisor, who finally verified that busses ran from 10am until the last park closed (Which I knew all along from my internet research, I was just looking for some verbal confirmation.) For the record, that's 5 employees before someone could answer my question.

About 8am, after the opening ceremony, I then proceeded straight to Epcot since I was trying to make it there before they opened. Never even went inside Magic Kingdom. It was still well before 10am so I just used regular Disney transport. Monorailed back to the TTC, then took a bus from the TTC to Epcot.

Spent the morning at Epcot. At about 2 I started to ready myself to leave the park, looking to make the 2:30 Express Bus to Hollywood Studios, as my Tower of Terror fastpass window ended at 2:55. I soon found I didn't know where the pickup point was. The girl at the TTC earlier that day only ever told me where pickup was at Magic Kingdom. I knew it was near Spaceship Earth at Epcot from prior online research, but didn't know exactly where. I went inside the photopass gift shop nearby to ask directions. A male and female employee both addressed my question. The female employee hadn't heard of the service at all. The male employee told me he'd heard the service was coming, but that it hadn't begun yet. I informed him it began on the 8th and I'd already purchased it for the day, at which point he immediately apologized for giving me incorrect information. That said, neither had a clue where the pickup/dropoff was. The guy left and told me he was going to try to find more info and would return shortly. It was pushing 2:30 at this point, so I informed the girl if I was going to make my bus, I really needed to find it NOW, so I couldn't wait on him and was going to go look for the pickup point. She apologized once again and I left. I flagged down one of the flannel-vest "tour guide" looking employees outside who happened to be passing by, assuming he might be more in-the-know and asked him. He thankful WAS more in-the-know, and directed me straight to the pickup point (which as it happens was directly on the opposite side of Spaceship Earth from where I started.)

I got to the pickup point short of breath at 2:30 on the dot-ish. Give or take. Informed them I wanted to go to Hollywood Studios. They said the bus was arriving shortly. I said great and took a seat.

About 2 minutes later one of the employees walked over to me looking sheepish and said the bus had just left and the next one wouldn't be there until 3 (1/2 hour from that point). They seemed... braced to anticipate my frustration, having erroneously told me just prior it would be there shortly. I leveled with the guy at that point and told him I was rather upset by the news that I'd missed the bus, as I should have had ample time to make it, but hardly any employees I talked to all day were up to speed on this service and it was a chore finding someone JUST to DIRECT me to the pickup point. Furthermore I was now guaranteed to miss my ToT Fastpass window. He understood my frustration completely and offered to rectify it with a flex fastpass. He scanned my magic band with his ipad. Not only did he extend my existing ToT fastpass to an all-day window, but he added an additional flex fastpass I could use on virtually any ride at all 3 parks, save Frozen Ever After, or fireworks shows (as he explained it). This did a lot to calm my frustration, and I was grateful.

Thankfully, at the Epcot pickup point, they had pamphlets that marked the pickup/dropoff points at all four parks. This would have been a very helpful item for the girl at the TTC to have given me at the beginning of the day, before I ran into trouble, and I hope they're handing them out there by now. Anyway, Bus arrived shortly before 3. Got to Studios shortly after 3. Spent a few hours there. Rode Tower of Terror using afformentioned fastpass. Saved the flex pass for Magic Kingdom (or so I thought...)

Took the Express Bus from Hollywood Studios to Magic Kingdom around 8:20-8:30 pm. Wanted to get there before 10pm to catch Wishes. Got to Magic Kingdom and went to check new fastpasses at the kiosk near Buzz Lightyear. To my surprise, I still had an all day Tower of Terror fastpass. Turns out ToT used my flex fastpass... rather than the (more logical) Tower of Terror fastpass. *Facepalm* Talked to the nearest employee. She understood the problem, but couldn't do anything. Left me in the hands of another girl who didn't have an ipad, and also couldn't fix the problem on my account in the "digital" sense, but offered to write me a paper fastpass to rectify the problem. This wasn't a flex, and required me to make my ride choice there and then, rather than on the fly, which bugged me, but I said, "Minetrain" and moved on with my life. She wrote me a paper fastpass for Minetrain, which I used later in the evening.

At a couple points during the day, the Express bus employees asked me how I found the service (they seemed eager for feedback)... I told them the service itself was fine, and about what I expected it to be, but employee awareness of it was very lacking and no one seemed to have a clue about it.

All in all of the 8 employees I spoke to in total that day NOT including the one who sold me the ticket, or the ones who actually worked at the pickup/dropoff points... only 2 knew about the service and were able to answer my questions, wheras 6 were mostly or completely clueless and uninformed. A few even giving me false information. I missed a bus, arguably, because no one could tell me where the pickup point at Epcot was. BUT... hiccups and headaches aside... they seemed very accomidating and eager to rectify any problems and frustrations as I ran into them.

The service itself was about what I expected it to be. Bus rides were brief. Probably about 10-15 minutes. Got me in and out of parks very quickly, which I enjoyed. Was also neat seeing some backstage areas (even if there wasn't much to see in them).

ALL that said... it was a new service... so I was anticipating I might run into problems. When I did run into problems, employees did all the could to help and make things right, so ultimately I can't complain. The gripes above aren't for the sake of griping, just to give a point by point account of my day. I assume employee awareness will get better, if it hasn't already. I assume they'll learn to make sure people are informed of the pickup/dropoff areas, if they aren't already. All in all it worked out well and I'd do it again (especially now that I know exactly where that danged Epcot pickup is, lol).

Last edited:

Great recap. Lack of employee knowledge of basic things frustrates me but I can see in this case how some of the "front line" folks may not have known, at least at the start. But as you level up they should have at least known the basics like where the pick up points are.
One question, did they not have the signs out? There have been photos through the thread of signs pointing to the pick up points but I'm not clear on when they put them out, or exactly how far from the pick up point they have placed them

Seems like this service has been a winner. Just curious what the max price is people would pay for it?

I wish Disney offered a length of stay option. We normally stay 8-9 days.

A bus driver told us that they were originally going to have it priced at $15/day or $24/4 days. They extended the $24 option to 7 days. I think that's the right amount -- both price and days. We will buy this again if it is continued to be offered. Saved us tons of time and allowed us to experience a lot more.

Since the 10-day ticket is the longest they sell (except for the AP), I'd rather see them offer $15/per day and $30/10-day options.

I'm guessing ridership should pick up, in the next few days. We're headed to the World on New Year's Eve and the email I received yesterday from Disney Destinations, with "things to know" before you go included the following information:

Make hopping easier with Express Transportation!
Add Express Transportation to your theme park ticket with Park Hopper®Option and get to the magic sooner. This new service will pick you up and drop you off from inside the theme park, bypassing the main entrance and standard theme park transportation.

Since the 10-day ticket is the longest they sell (except for the AP), I'd rather see them offer $15/per day and $30/10-day options.

I'm guessing ridership should pick up, in the next few days. We're headed to the World on New Year's Eve and the email I received yesterday from Disney Destinations, with "things to know" before you go included the following information:

Add Express Transportation to your theme park ticket with Park Hopper®Option and get to the magic sooner. This new service will pick you up and drop you off from inside the theme park, bypassing the main entrance and standard theme park transportation.
be aware that NYE the service will stop at 8pm

I think they sell longer tickets for folks over seas (UK etc) they can buy 14 day and 21 day tickets as I recall...

I wish Disney offered a length of stay option. We normally stay 8-9 days.

I have told them that at every chance talking to one of the CMs at the stops. They said they would be sure to add that to the comments. We are here for 10 days and using this for our first 7 days.

Anyone using this service that has suggestions, be sure to tell the CMs at the stops.

be aware that NYE the service will stop at 8pm

Is that official?

I asked several CMs at the Express stops a day or so ago and they knew nothing about it yet.

They also said that everyone using this service could get in a park even if it was closed.

We have used this for the last 6 days and never had more than 15 people on the bus. With only us on the bus the first few days to more as the week has gone on.

Per the CMs we talked to the first day, they were limiting it to around 50 per day but they had only sold around 35 and that not that many people seemed to know about the service.

yes, it's on the HUB. No way they can guarantee the service with the traffic that will be all around and the road closures.

Thanks - I think it was the first day that I had seen it that I asked. Guess it takes a few days to get word to everyone.

Can you confirm the second part - can you still hop using this service if the parks are closed to capacity on 12/30 and 12/31?

Thanks - I think it was the first day that I had seen it that I asked. Guess it takes a few days to get word to everyone.

Can you confirm the second part - can you still hop using this service if the parks are closed to capacity on 12/30 and 12/31?
Actually this was posted a couple of days ago, about the 8pm closure of the service on the 30th and 31st.
As to the second question I'm sure you'll be able to get in, unless the park is at phase 4. Which has not happened in a long time

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter