New DSLR user, leaving for WDW in 9 days...camera questions.

lotferg

Always planning...
Thank you for the warm welcome to the Photography Board! For the past year, we've been planning to take our DD to WDW for her first birthday. A couple weeks ago, I decided to jump back into photography after a 15 year hiatus. I'm having some technical issues with shots that I'm hoping someone can assist me with. I've been so inspired looking at some of the Disney photos posted here, and with your help, I bet mine will turn out half as good.

1. Can you see my shadow? (Look near baby's feet) What's the easiest way to avoid this when shooting "over" children?
4864139826_4b65bd8c24.jpg

2. I've got a Canon Rebel XTi with the stock lens and battery grip. Should I seriously consider purchasing another lens and filters before next week? I've read other threads about traveling with DSLRs, and I'm a little concerned. How much gear is too much when we have to consider all the baby needs we'll also be traveling with? Any DSLR Mama's out there with tips for traveling with camera gear and baby gear?

3. In the same photo above, my DD isn't as clear as I would like her to be. How can I change this manually? I'm not a big fan of the landscape mode on this camera.

4. My Flikr page is, http://www.flickr.com/photos/lottferg/ Any tips you can give to help make these better so I can be certain to capture some magic next week would be greatly appreciated.

:worship: Much appreciated!

Ok, I'm a DSLR dad but I can tell you the stroller is your friend. I bought a small bag from Best Buy that holds my Canon, the stock lens and a 70-300mm zoom. That goes in a small backpack. If I need to, I just through it underneath on the stroller.

If you're new to the DSLR then just take this trip and learn how to use it instead of throwing a lot of lenses at it just yet.

Although you could go get the 50mm f 1.8 ($99 I believe) so you can do some low-light photography while there.

Ok, I'm a DSLR dad but I can tell you the stroller is your friend. I bought a small bag from Best Buy that holds my Canon, the stock lens and a 70-300mm zoom. That goes in a small backpack. If I need to, I just through it underneath on the stroller.

If you're new to the DSLR then just take this trip and learn how to use it instead of throwing a lot of lenses at it just yet.

Although you could go get the 50mm f 1.8 ($99 I believe) so you can do some low-light photography while there.

So, I should take my own stroller instead of renting one there?

For this specific picture, if you were using a mode and focusing on a different part of the picture, your auto-focus points were on that other part of the picture, so that is what is in focus. I looked at your flickr page. Your "Week 46" portrait of your daughter is very good, clear, and in focus, so I'd suggest reading your manual about the focus points.

Since your photography looks mainly that your are interested in portraits of your family members, you might look at the 85mm f1.8 lens (about $450), which is a very good portrait lens and perhaps the 28mm f2.8 lens (about $340). Both of these will give you good portrait, or portrait settings with landscape backgrounds.

Regarding the shadow. Just about anything between the sun and your subject is going to throw a shadow, whether it's you as the photographer or a tripod with a remote switch. You could have positioned yourself about 45 degrees from where you were, but your background would have changed.

So, I should take my own stroller instead of renting one there?

In my opinion, yes, bring your own stroller. Rental rates on strollers at disney have gotten really expensive of late. Or there is a place (look on the other boards) that will rent a non-disney stroller for you and deliver it / pick it up from your hotel.

For this specific picture, if you were using a mode and focusing on a different part of the picture, your auto-focus points were on that other part of the picture, so that is what is in focus. I looked at your flickr page. Your "Week 46" portrait of your daughter is very good, clear, and in focus, so I'd suggest reading your manual about the focus points...

That photo was taken with my camera phone! :rotfl:

You might actually be alright with just using the kit lens (18-55mm, I presume). If you want pictures of animals at Animal kingdom, you might want something with a little more reach.

Like Frantasmic said, the shadow is all about where you stand. You probably could've knelt down a little too; which would also give you a nice perspective.

Don't be afraid to use your flash in the sun. A good fill flash in bright sun will help illuminate your little one's face in the harsh sun.

I hope you'll post back here with some pictures when you get back!

My next suggestion is to estimate how much memory you will need, then double it! It's much cheaper to buy at home, and you want to be able to shoot freely.

Something else to consider. A first birthday at Disney is by definition a once in a lifetime experience. If you're not very experienced at post processing, you might be one day. Consider shooting in RAW. If you don't know yet what to do with a RAW file, shoot Jpeg + Raw. That way you will have the RAW files if you want to go back one day and work on them with you know more. I sure wish I had some RAW files from when my kids were younger! The only downside of this is that it takes a lot of memory space, especially since your camera only does RAW + Jpeg with the largest size file. Still though.... you will be glad one day you have it.

And as for the strollers, the Disney rental ones are great and push SO smoothly.... but are VERY expensive and have no storage basket down underneath.

Either bring your own or rent from someone offsite. :thumbsup2

Hey this is great. My kids are 9, 15 and 17. No one has asked my advice in AGES!!!! :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Your DD is beautiful :) My advice is not to buy another lens between now and then. Rather, read your camera manual and get comfortable with what all the buttons do, specifically how to select the area of focus. Follow your DD around for the next week and just practice moving the focus point around. Most of all, though- enjoy your trip and post pictures once you're back!

My advice... don't worry about getting the perfect shot and having the "right" lens or you're libel to miss the experience. You're a parent so you are predisposed to love any shots you get of your kid. Just take what you have and have a good time.

First, I would get a prepaid Photo Pass CD for $100. Thousands I have invested in photo gear and I still get them because they are easy and I don't have to dig out or even take a camera in some parks. Personally, I just find it so darn handy to let someone else do the work, and as a new photographer, it's a nice backup just in case you screw something up in your camera.

That being said, I can't say enough about Blue Crane Digital's DVD's about your Camera. They cover all the features and all the functions and some shooting tips.

Personally, I shoot in Aperture Priority mode 99% of the time. You may also want to limit auto focus to just one spot, put that spot on your subject (I use where the eye and eyelid meets) then press down lightly to focus, compose your shot and shoot. With kids, I shoot 4 or 5 shots normally.

You may also want to learn about Spot Metering mode, which I use sometimes when the background is VERY bright compared to my subject.

Also, you'll want to watch the Manual / Auto focus switch on your camera, I'm forever hitting it and wondering why my camera won't focus.

Even with the kit lens, you'll enjoy shooting and have a great time. If you are looking for something inexpensive, take a look at the 28-135 lens, it comes with the 50d and the 7d cameras, it's a decent lens for the price and is nice because it's a bit longer. If you are shooting alot, I like the Sigma 50mm f/1.4, but also enjoy the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and desperately want the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 - and I don't like prime lenses generally, but these have grown on me.

Make sure to take some plastic bags to put the camera in and as Theresa on the pod cast says, remember you're at disney for fun. Personally, I'm going on a couple Safari's in Dec without my DW or DD and spending a day in AK with just me and my cameras, but I'll likely just pack in my Sony Nex3 for every other day so I don't miss a moment of fun with my family!!!

Thank you all for the tips! I've been taking some of the suggestions, and getting some practice in. (My favorite one was following the baby around the house and changing the AF points...great tip!)

Hopefully, I'll be back in a couple weeks with some good shots.

Again, thanks!

3 simple words...................PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. You have a few days to get used to your camera. Look on YouTube for good lessons for your Xti (lot's of good helpful things out there). It's helped me get better with my Xsi. Just my 2 cents worth.:hippie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter