• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Disney RFID Turnstiles.

ty1772

Earning My Ears
I have seen photos of the new RFID turnstiles and was wondering, does anyone know how they keep people from just walking on in?

There are CM's standing there watching.

I love how your first post to the forums ever is in regards to a method of possibly entering the park without a ticket and unnoticed. I can't wait to see what you post next! Keep em coming. :rotfl:

I think it's a legitimate question -I didn't read into it that he was curious about entering without a ticket.

Having been there and experienced these recently, I can tell you it's just like any previous entrance. A line forms and you get in it and wait your turn to pass thru. Now there's just no turnstile, just a CM who directs you to the wand stand and then the finger scan.. and that's pretty much it. It's friendlier and possibly more entertaining but in my experience didn't really seem to be any big time saver.

It is possible to enter without a ticket but right now there are plenty of CM's there to minimize it. In the future, when more V Entries come online, I would suspect that less CM's will be behind each entrance and will be spread out a bit more.

A lot of what you see now is getting CM's trained to the new systems and to "forget old habits" from the mechanical turnstiles. Time will tell if it becomes a lot more or just a little bit more efficient.

There are no turnstiles at the security checks. No turnstiles at Fastpass Return. What's to stop people from walking right through? ;)

Seriously, there are CMs. There are honest people. It will all work out.

thorphin said:
There are no turnstiles at the security checks. No turnstiles at Fastpass Return. What's to stop people from walking right through? ;)

That's right. This isn't Disneyland! ;-)

Security check is before the turnstiles, FP return you need to show a ticket . . . . .

Security check is before the turnstiles, FP return you need to show a ticket . . . . .

I think the point is why can't you just walk on by, if there is no turnstile...who cares if a CM is asking to see your Fastpass? ;)

hey-- the cast members will be able to supplement their pay by having their frineds enter for free-- give me 20 bucks and I will not see you come through my line. For every extremely honest person, there is an extremely dishonest person. Otherwise there wouldn't be "average".

They better have more than cast members watching.

Its not negative, its realistic.

~It looks like this would be pretty easy to do, especially with little kids, but only when it's busy or maybe with a large group.

Based on the trials we observed last fall, it didn't look like it would be that easy to "sneak" in. There was no turnstile, but the opening wasn't all that wide. You can bet they have security and cameras in the area, and if someone just barges through, they'll nail 'em. (Disney keeps a ton of undercover security near the park entrances, you just don't notice them because you are just passing through the area.)

SP

Actually, my 4-year-old did just that when we were there in January. They were directing those of us with RFID Key to the World cards through the special readers at AK. We were a big group of 10 people, 5 adults, 5 kids. There were some issues with the readers working with some adult tickets and I think my little one just followed me or Grandma as we walked through and in the chaos no one noticed. We finally figured it out when we tried to get her a FP for Everest later in the day. The CM working the FP machine said it was a common problem for the new entrance specifically with little kids because there was nothing to stop them following Mommy or Daddy. The CM just gave us a FP instead of having us walk back to have her ticket read, which I offered to do. Anyway, it will be interesting to see how it plays out as more and more people use the new entrances.

Once FP+ is in full use, sneaking in will do more damage than it's worth. Every RFID you pass will know you never entered the park and could alert security. No rides will let you on. You can't get or use FP. You can't order food at some QS. You can't use ADR.

All you could do is watch the parades from non-preferred viewing locations. Not much incentive to sneak in.

Once FP+ is in full use, sneaking in will do more damage than it's worth. Every RFID you pass will know you never entered the park and could alert security. No rides will let you on. You can't get or use FP. You can't order food at some QS. You can't use ADR.

All you could do is watch the parades from non-preferred viewing locations. Not much incentive to sneak in.

That is assuming you are wearing an rfid bracelet.

I was there in December for what seemed like the first day each park was implementing the RFID entry. It seemed very easy to me, they only called resort guests over and they guided us through the process each time.

I didn't really require the guidance after the first time, but I'm sure having a cast member there is important for these other reasons.

I'm looking forward to magic bands and full rfid implementation. I have confidence it will make things easier and "more magical".

They way I understand it, using MyMagic+ won't be a requirement for rides and such, and you can still participate the old fashioned way. Besides, I bet people would love to sneak in for the parades and fireworks.

I already bought my tickets and wouldn't consider sneaking in, but I was wondering the same thing as OP, and even though they haven't posted anything else, I can't assume their intentions are bad. I'm curious how it would work because I'd be kind of upset about riff raff sneaking in while I'm paying hundreds. Disney's invisible security is pretty impressive, though, so I hope it's not a problem.

Wht does RFID stand for? It's funny cause I literally jst saw a pic of the new turnstiles today on Kingdom Magic's website. I'm going bk in Sept and an interested in how it'll b by thn.

Wht does RFID stand for? It's funny cause I literally jst saw a pic of the new turnstiles today on Kingdom Magic's website. I'm going bk in Sept and an interested in how it'll b by thn.

Radio Frequency ID

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter