New DDE Purchase Option

It sounds like you plan on using the DDE for the later half of December? Are you aware that DDE has extended the period it considers a "holiday" around Xmas -- the blackout period when DDE discounts cannot be applied -- to cover December 15, 2007 through January 5, 2008? You may want to doublecheck on this if the dates cover your trip dates. I first read about this months ago on the restaurant board -- back then it was a rumor. But yesterday when I was making my final ADRs with WDW-DINE, I asked the CM what the holiday blackout dates were this year and those were the dates she gave me. Since it covers my entire trip, DDE is out for us so we're probably going to buy the Dining Plan (and enjoy it for the last time given the pricey changes going into effect starting 2008).

is this for real? i know that actual holidays have always been 'blacked-out' (i.e. Thanksgiving / Christmas) - but i always thought those were single days - not date ranges. in fact, i know this used to be the case for t-giving since we were there 2 yrs ago from the wed before through the week after, and the only day that we could not apply our DDE discount was t-giving day itself.

i had not heard about this change - but if it is true you can add it to the rapidly expanding list of changes being made - all seemingly at once - that are serving to de-value my disney experience.....not good....

is this for real? i know that actual holidays have always been 'blacked-out' (i.e. Thanksgiving / Christmas) - but i always thought those were single days - not date ranges. in fact, i know this used to be the case for t-giving since we were there 2 yrs ago from the wed before through the week after, and the only day that we could not apply our DDE discount was t-giving day itself.

i had not heard about this change - but if it is true you can add it to the rapidly expanding list of changes being made - all seemingly at once - that are serving to de-value my disney experience.....not good....

I'm very interested in hearing the answer to this, too. We are there 12/11 to 12/18 this year. I might not buy it if this is true because the first 3 days we will be on the DDP. :confused3

I just contacted the DDE office. This is not true about them extending the holiday dates out to 12/15. The Christmas black out days are the day of Christmas Eve and the day of Christmas. I do understand that different CMs can give different answers, but all indication from various reliable sources state the blackout days are the actual holiday days, not a range of dates. I am comfortable it does not begin on 12/15 for Christmas. :santa:

I am baffled at how they can add 18% at all food and beverage locations! I can almost understand it for table-service dining, but I hope that 18% doesn't include counter service!
I believe that a good server deserves a good tip, but not all servers provide great service. I know that if I don't receive excellent service, I will be strongly requesting that a manager reduce the gratuity on my bill to fit my opinion of the level of service. I presume I'm not alone... :headache:

I also wonder how much of the 18% actually goes to the people who are providing the service (server, busser, etc.) and how much is being kept by the management :confused:

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I probably am) but..doesn't the DDE card ONLY work at TS places anyway?

I just contacted the DDE office. This is not true about them extending the holiday dates out to 12/15. The Christmas black out days are the day of Christmas Eve and the day of Christmas. I do understand that different CMs can give different answers, but all indication from various reliable sources state the blackout days are the actual holiday days, not a range of dates. I am comfortable it does not begin on 12/15 for Christmas. :santa:

right....i also just read on the dining board that someone talked to a DDE customer service rep this AM re: this question. they were told that the blackout dates are, in fact, the same as they've always been. they said that the apparent confusion may be coming from the fact that the cost of some character meals are scheduled to go up beginning on 12/15 (?).

sounds like we're good for the DDE discount throughout the holiday season...

Thank you for checking as well! It is frustrating to hear different things from the CMs. I specifically asked the CM whether those were the new holiday blackout dates for DDE and she said yes. GRRRRR. Now I'm going to call again.

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I probably am) but..doesn't the DDE card ONLY work at TS places anyway?

DDE is also good at a few CS generally where a TS is not an option. These include the food courts at the values and POFQ, a few CS at AK which might change after Tusker House opens as a buffet and Artist Palette at SSR.

But the followup email from DDE clarified that counter service is not affected by the new 18% gratuity.

DDE is also good at a few CS generally where a TS is not an option. These include the food courts at the values and POFQ, a few CS at AK which might change after Tusker House opens as a buffet and Artist Palette at SSR.

But the followup email from DDE clarified that counter service is not affected by the new 18% gratuity.

Thanks!

See, I told you I was probably wrong!

:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter