• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New DCL App

We had this issue on previous cruises, but I'm pretty sure that the reason our texts weren't delivered timely is that we didn't keep the app "open" (in the foreground) which , apparently, it needs in order to work & provide notifications & deliver texts. (there's small "fine print" on a couple of the pages reminding users to do so in order to receive notifications)

Thanks. Yes, we discussed this earlier, when we talked about keeping the app “surfaced”. To be fair, given what we are accustomed to the other 99.9% of the time we use chat apps, it is rather counter-intuitive to have to keep that DCL app front and center at all times.

I think the small “fine print” could stand to be a little bigger, or maybe a little screen displayed before first use, explaining in very simple terms why this app is different than iMessage or FB Messenger.

I like the suitcase too - oh well :( at least I’m booking excursions this weekend!

This is typical of application design in general. Oftentimes, dev teams do not realize the love their users have for a specific feature. They change it and get hit with a massive and unexpected backlash. That’s why the best tool in application design is using focus groups or surveys. Usually, Disney is pretty good at testing ideas with guests, but not this time. The best way to be heard is to leave comments in the App Store.

Just a guess on my part, its probably not developers that wrote the code for the beautiful suitcase clock that made the decision to remove it, it was probably product managers that made this poor decision.

Maybe the suitcase countdown clock did not render/function correct on some devices, while it worked perfect on others and Disney did not want to put the work in/cost in, to fix the suitcase to work on all devices.

DCL just made available version 2.0 of the DCL Navigator app. It seems you can now view your booked activities and dining rotation when onboard. There’s still only one feature when your are not onboard, but the countdown changed its look. No more Mickey suitcase.

when I first got the new app it was just a sky blue background now it has the mickey head wave in the background...lol

It says 1 day, 7 hours 5 mins

I don't have a waving Mickey head :(

Oh wait, you have that because you're going on the ship in a day?

I don't have a waving Mickey head :(

Oh wait, you have that because you're going on the ship in a day?

I guess I didn't describe it well it has the DCL logo in the background darker blue then what it started as. The wave of the water , sorry if I made it sound like a waving mickey.

Having one of those days where my brain couldn't think of the right words.

I guess I didn't describe it well it has the DCL logo in the background darker blue then what it started as. The wave of the water , sorry if I made it sound like a waving mickey.

Having one of those days where my brain couldn't think of the right words.

I see the cruise logo wallpaper as well. Mine was a boring blue background yesterday.

Reactions: NAB
We found that we just locked our phones in the safe on the ship until we got back to port. So the only time I looked at the phone was when I was as work, wondering how long until my vacation. And the suitcase just helped me to feel that. I wish the app was more useful for pre trip planning and seeing more info about my cruise before our cruise date.

I have no use for this app in its current form. Even onboard, I don't find it helpful. I know that others do, but by then, I know what I'm doing and when I'm doing it. The new app is just boring as far as the countdown goes. It may be functional from an IT perspective, but as a user, it's void of attractive features. JMHO, but I just wish it was more useful prior to a cruise.

I have no use for this app in its current form. Even onboard, I don't find it helpful. I know that others do, but by then, I know what I'm doing and when I'm doing it. The new app is just boring as far as the countdown goes. It may be functional from an IT perspective, but as a user, it's void of attractive features. JMHO, but I just wish it was more useful prior to a cruise.
I suspect it would be more limiting in description and require additional drop down menus to cover all the information. My fat little thumb would be punching the wrong tabs and draining my already weak battery. But I’m sure I’d still use it over my much faster, larger font PC.:surfweb: :confused3:coffee:

Seems like every time I have cruised and used this app for texting on the ship, I have had at least one instance where my message was not delivered or a reply was not delivered to me in a timely manner.

It bugs me the most when I am trying to get a hold of one of my kids. When they don't reply, I have no idea if a.) they never got my original message; b.) they replied but I just never received it; c.) they received my message but didn't see it/didn't bother replying yet; or, worst-case, d.) they received my message but were unable to reply.

Everything was fine, of course, but reliable and instant delivery of messages is kind of the heart of texting/chatting, y'know?
We tried using the app for messaging on the Dream in December, and it was completely unreliable so we just gave up on using it entirely.

Complete idiocy for them to de-theme the countdown clock. Deleted the app from my phone today as I see no use in it at all now.

I like the paper Navigators. They make nice momentos.

Last edited:
New app countdown clock is boring. Not sure about the "new features" as we won't be sailing for another six weeks.
I do have some comments about the "integration" discussion though.
It's very clear that the on-board systems are not integrated with any of the on-shore systems. It seems there are some basic data feeds, but not sure how they are sent/received or how often they are updated. I'm sure it is limited due to the nature of ship connectivity to land.
That said, I learned on my last sailing that the navigator information is actually provided from the on-shore systems. It is not linked to the ship and the ship cannot update the navigator contents when it changes. We had an itinerary change due to weather where we skipped a port and had an extra sea day. Couldn't use the Navigator on the app as the ship had to create a whole new schedule (kudos to them for the flexibility). I was surprised that they didn't have that capability. I hope that the new app allows for schedule changes made while sailing will be pushed to the app, but I'm not holding my breath.

New app countdown clock is boring. Not sure about the "new features" as we won't be sailing for another six weeks.
I do have some comments about the "integration" discussion though.
It's very clear that the on-board systems are not integrated with any of the on-shore systems. It seems there are some basic data feeds, but not sure how they are sent/received or how often they are updated. I'm sure it is limited due to the nature of ship connectivity to land.
That said, I learned on my last sailing that the navigator information is actually provided from the on-shore systems. It is not linked to the ship and the ship cannot update the navigator contents when it changes. We had an itinerary change due to weather where we skipped a port and had an extra sea day. Couldn't use the Navigator on the app as the ship had to create a whole new schedule (kudos to them for the flexibility). I was surprised that they didn't have that capability. I hope that the new app allows for schedule changes made while sailing will be pushed to the app, but I'm not holding my breath.

That's really interesting. It also explains something that I've wondered about the app. I never understood why they didn't add the ability to make reservations (dining/character meets/tastings, etc.) or check the balance on your account as some other lines do. Not only would that be easier for the guests than standing in lines on embarkation day or at guest services later on, it would free up some of the CM's time. Now I get it. Until they link the navigator to the on-ship systems instead of shore-side that won't be possible. As other cruise lines have that functionality already, I would think Disney would get there eventually.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter