• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New cruise contract

PrincessShmoo

DIS veteran
Hmmm.... just got an email saying our cruise documents aren't completed...

Uh, yeah, over a month ago. Got our booklet with luggage tags and all information printed in it a couple of weeks ago.

Went and checked out my reservation, and, apparently there's been some changes to the contract. It seems that they've changed how/if a guest can take legal action against DCL for a myriad of causes (including "emotional distress":rolleyes:).

Maybe a reaction to disgruntled guests on the the 2 recent Fantasy cruises?

It seems that they've changed how/if a guest can take legal action against DCL for a myriad of causes (including "emotional distress":rolleyes:).
Wasn't there something a few months ago about someone suing for emotional distress because there chld slipped in the bathroom or something like that?

Wasn't there something a few months ago about someone suing for emotional distress because there chld slipped in the bathroom or something like that?

I remember this story from the news as well and the mother did sue Disney. There was also another story where a different mother sued Disney because her child fell on the stairs while in the theater. I believe this mother sued for emotional damage but I could be wrong about that.

What did I miss about the 2 recent Fantasy cruises?
Well the 3 day cruise we were very late getting to port, like not off the boat until almost noon due to mechanical issues. So many folks with flight plans were messed up. Then for those of those getting on the boat for the 7 day cruise, they didn't get on until much later. I think all aboard was like 5pm for the muster drill. We didn't leave port again until like 10pm that night.

There of course were apparently issues with toilets, dirty rooms, and a/c not working correctly in some rooms. I didn't have that experience on either of the sailings and feel bad for those who did.

Also, it seemed on the 3 day cruise, A LOT of travel agents and couples were sailing. Our stateroom host remarked that of all his room (I think they have 10-12?) only two rooms had any kids. (And it showed on the island- Serenity was packed with people and the family beaches were empty). So I do not know if that group is general more vocal about things as well in spreading their experiences.

At this point people who follow DCL should know that the first cruises after dry dock do not guarantee a fully functioning ship. The Magic reimagining cancelled a cruise or two, the wonder wasn't guest ready, the Fantasy had its problems with the recent one. On a side note, I noticed that they were stripping paint and repainting the funnels on our cruise. I thought it was an odd time to do the work, but assumed that during dry dock, shipping containers were sitting on deck to complete the interior refurbishments.

At this point people who follow DCL should know that the first cruises after dry dock do not guarantee a fully functioning ship. The Magic reimagining cancelled a cruise or two, the wonder wasn't guest ready, the Fantasy had its problems with the recent one. On a side note, I noticed that they were stripping paint and repainting the funnels on our cruise. I thought it was an odd time to do the work, but assumed that during dry dock, shipping containers were sitting on deck to complete the interior refurbishments.

This is just me but I think in DCLs efforts to save money on drydocks and low bids, and getting foreign contractors in to actually do the work, is hurting them. I don't remember any of these serious issues when DCL used BAE in VA. It wasn't until they started going to Freeport and Cadiz, that issues started to pop up. We were on the Magics first cruise after dd in 2010, (first in Freeport.) and after talking with the head of housekeeping for that floor, he was telling me that the contractors were doing more damage then what they fixed. They were in areas they weren't supposed to be, burned holes in the carpets from cigarettes, and just plain careless.
When the Magic did her re imagin in 2013, a lot of work didn't get done there because of weather. A lot was supposed to be done on the trip back home, but because of rain etc it couldn't be done at sea. So her 2 or 3 day trip got canceled before she moved to Miami. Then when they left Miami on the first trip, they left all of the Freon for the ac systems in Miami. So they had to go back.

In 2010, on the Magic, we booked the trip knowing full well, that there may be issues. But when the ship sits tied to the pier at terminal 8 for close to 48 hours, and the rooms are still dirty, the carpet isn't even layed in properly, and there is holes big enough to put your finger in in the railings, with dripped paint from there, plus all of the outlets and light switch covers are all missing, theres a problem. It was 1 of maybe 4 times Ive ever said that if I were in charge, people would have been clearing desks.

Last edited:
We were on the 7 night Fantasy sailing (the one right after the 3 night double dip). We couldn't board until 5ish so we had to eat lunch on land (everyone got a $25 credit for this). There was no printed navigator the first night and the nav app wasn't working. It made finding what was going on and when nearly impossible. The first night was not great, there was no sail away party and we weren't even sure we would be sailing away (the ship was still standing still when we went to bed). There was no compensation offered (I called then emailed and was told no compensation for this) even though the first night was basically a bust.
Our itinerary was changed so if you weren't at guest services an hour before they opened you were stuck doing Puerto Rico on your own.
It was not up to Disney's standards and honestly I think they have no cares to give.

Last edited:
Maybe a reaction to disgruntled guests on the the 2 recent Fantasy cruises?

I doubt it's related to the 2 Fantasy cruises right after dry dock. Working for a large corporation, my experience is that it takes a while for our corporate legal department to develop new language for our contracts and roll it out. Changes to our standard contracts would take far longer than 2 weeks to implement.

What State's law does the contract say applies in any legal action? Many States don't recognize emotional distress as a stand alone cause of action.

What State's law does the contract say applies in any legal action? Many States don't recognize emotional distress as a stand alone cause of action.
It's been awhile since I signed one but I believe it says that because DCL is registered as a company in Florida that all lawsuits will handled in Florida under Florida laws.

FWIW - they also recently changed the documents you bring to port from a "Signature form" to a "Port Arrival" form. Perhaps you have to print the newer form.

FWIW - they also recently changed the documents you bring to port from a "Signature form" to a "Port Arrival" form. Perhaps you have to print the newer form.
You don't have to print the cruise contract, unless you want it.

You DO have to print out the Port Arrival Form. That was my point above. And this is a NEW requirement as of a few months ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter