New credit card guarantees. Restaurant list, policy & common questions in 1st post

I doubt that anyone will have their credit rating trashed because they cancel a card.

Furthermore, not everyone needs credit. I know most people do, but there are plenty of people out there who have reached the point where they don't.

And I could be wrong, but couldn't people just use a throw-away card and then spend the money before Disney can charge the cancel fee?

I know I leave the parks when it rains. I don't want to get stuck with cancel fees because I didn't hang around for a couple hours in the rain just to have dinner at the Crystal Palace.

I'm looking for the easiest way out of paying cancel fees and keeping reservations.

But I know I may be stuck with just not making the reservations.

It's possible that they would not accept pre-paid cards (I'm pretty sure such cards can easily be identified by the number). Or that the "hold" they place, freezes up that amount on the card and as such you would not be able to spend the amount of the hold until the hold is released. Also, I wonder if they would accept cards whose expiration date is prior to the ADR date.

I would like to think Disney thought of all the ways the "cheaters" would try to get around this policy and put safeguards in place to prevent them.

Last May we had ADRs at Canada. I woke up pretty sick so we decided to spend the day by the pool at the beach club. Later in the afternoon I still felt sick so I went up for a nap - and slept for four hours. It was our last full day and I tried so hard to make it to dinner but it was just not in the cards. I got up for a bit, my husband went to the marketplace to get me a snack (and to stop by the front desk and cancel our ADR).

I do like this new policy but I am not thrilled about 24 hours - it is a vacation and sometimes we change our minds - like the time we were hanging out at the bar in the polly and decided to stay and have apps and drinks for dinner - I ALWAYS cancel my ADRs when I change my mind.

Hopefully though this will allow for last minute decisions - I remember fondly the days of being able to get a dinner reservation that afternoon - anyone remember the Kiosks in EPCOT with the phones?

If my tabulation is correct(?), these table service locations in parks will have NO credit card requirement nor penalty for no-shows:

MK
Liberty Tree Tavern
The Plaza Restaurant
Tony's Town Square Restaurant

Epcot
Biergarten
Bistro de Paris
Coral Reef Restaurant
La Hacienda de San Angel
Les Chefs de France
Nine Dragons Restaurant
Restaurant Marrakesh
Rose and Crown Dining Room
San Angel Inn
Teppan Edo
Tokyo Dining
Tutto Italia Ristorante
Via Napoli

HS
50's Prime Time Cafe
Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano
Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant
Tune-in Lounge

AK
Dawa Bar
Rainforest Cafe - Animal Kingdom
Yak & Yeti Restaurant

I know this is probably an unintelligent question on my part, but I just want to clarify if anyone knows....the credit card is just for a hold and nothing is charged on your card unless you don't show up for your ADR or cancel after the window?

It's possible that they would not accept pre-paid cards (I'm pretty sure such cards can easily be identified by the number). Or that the "hold" they place, freezes up that amount on the card and as such you would not be able to spend the amount of the hold until the hold is released. Also, I wonder if they would accept cards whose expiration date is prior to the ADR date.

I would like to think Disney thought of all the ways the "cheaters" would try to get around this policy and put safeguards in place to prevent them.

I don't think Disney places a hold. I think it's just a credit card guarantee, which means they will charge you if you don't show, but I don't think they pre-authorize anything to verify the card. I could be wrong about the second part, but I'm pretty sure they don't hold anything.

Also, if they aren't going to allow prepaid cards, then what do people who don't have credit cards do? They still exist in this world and isolates them from being able to book a lot of restaurants.

I like what Disney is doing. I was surprised over the weekend that I was able to get some good ADRs for places I didn't think would be available. I was tweaking our schedule and needed to move around some meals. I was able to get all the times I wanted for all the restaurants I wanted. I was shocked. Way to go Disney...thanks for all the changes with the dining reservations lately.

Well if we are delayed by transportation, illness etc, they better seat us after our ADR time or waive the fee.

My issue is the 24 hr cancellation policy. You need to plan so far in advance and if your plans change, even cancelling many hours in advance doesnt save the charge. Oversleep and miss that breakfast ADR, charged, someone drops out, cant make it etc, charged. They want to keep you confined to property and plan everything in great detail but then place this kind of restriction seems like some people will be caught with this that would have otherwise acted in good faith. Its not like most people have 1 meal to plan, its several. Some parties are quite large too, so it could be really expensive to risk making an ADR if there is any chance you cant make it. How many people make ADR's with the Deluxe then find out they dont have the appetite for that meal they were sure they wanted six months ago? Just wish this were more like a 2 hour cancellation to allow for walkups so the table isnt held.

:thumbsup2

Especially since in todays world of instantaneous information, disney in no way needs a 24 hour window.

yet another nail in my "eating at disney coffin"

I know this is probably an unintelligent question on my part, but I just want to clarify if anyone knows....the credit card is just for a hold and nothing is charged on your card unless you don't show up for your ADR or cancel after the window?

Correct.

I'm looking for the easiest way out of paying cancel fees and keeping reservations.

You aren't going to be charged a "cancel fee." You're only charged a fee if you don't cancel. If you make your reservations = no fee. If you cancel them = no fee. If you blow them off without bothering to call = you get charged. The easiest way out of paying these fees is to either show up or cancel as soon as you know you won't need the reservation.

Well if we are delayed by transportation, illness etc, they better seat us after our ADR time or waive the fee.

Why should WDW compensate you for charges resulting from illness? Unless it's a documented hospitalization, everyone who would be charged under this policy would claim illness. That's what travel insurance covers.

I think this is excellent! If I can more easily get a same-day reservation, or a walk-up, I'll start considering table service dining. Right now I do almost zero table service - I don't even try it because my expectation based on experience is that there won't be availability (and I'm not a big ADR planner). I'd given up on table service. So, Disney will potentially gain some dining dollars from me!

Of course Disney will make exceptions for special (or not so special) circumstances. They always have.

I think even if only 50% of those who would have just skipped the reservation (and not bothered to cancel) now call to specifically cancel (whether 24 hrs in advance or not), this will be a help to Disney's bottom line AND to other guests who ARE ready and willing to take those empty chairs.

Also, my opinion is that 24-hours notice is their stated policy because 24-hr notice is preferred (and gives Disney a better chance to fill those seats), but I'm willing to bet they'll make many many exceptions, for a whole lot of stuff. And yes, this means one can easily abuse the rule, but I believe the people who circumvent the rule will not cancel out the positive effect this rule will have overall.

Disney wants you to call and cancel, not to just no-show, so they can fill the seat faster (rather than waiting 15min to see if you'll show, and possibly losing a couple table turns per table per day as a cumulative result) - obviously 24hrs is better than, say, 1hr notice for their purposes, so that's how they're going to phrase it. That's my take on this.

To sum up: win! (thanks betamouse...) :sunny:

Not so sure about this, we had the fantasmic diniing package this August and my youngest son got sick about 10 hours prior. we called and tried to cancel the one person (he's 17 and would have hung out in the room by himself). they were definitely not willing to overlook the charge. I thought it was ridiculous. How was I supposed to know 48 hours prior that he'd be sick!!

I don't think Disney places a hold. I think it's just a credit card guarantee, which means they will charge you if you don't show, but I don't think they pre-authorize anything to verify the card. I could be wrong about the second part, but I'm pretty sure they don't hold anything.

Also, if they aren't going to allow prepaid cards, then what do people who don't have credit cards do? They still exist in this world and isolates them from being able to book a lot of restaurants.

Unfortunately, that may be the case. But, this is not a new phenomenon, as they already have policies in place that do the same thing - "isolates" or prevents a certain segment of guests from being able to book certain restaurants. The 180-day window basically keeps people who book a trip 2 or 3 months out from getting most coveted restaurants.

Why should WDW compensate you for charges resulting from illness? Unless it's a documented hospitalization, everyone who would be charged under this policy would claim illness. That's what travel insurance covers.

:thumbsup2

Just wanted to check since we have about 7 restaurants on that list for our trip in February.

I obviously made ADRs already, so I understand I would be grandfathered in re: having to provide a CC for the guarantee....but if I don't cancel within 24 hours, is there any way for them to charge me? (i.e. will they charge my room or the credit card I used to guarantee Cali Grill?) I know that we have to cancel within 24 hours for Cali Grill as it stands right now, but if I make my ADRs before 10/26, do I have to worry about it for the rest of my signatures?

Ann :goodvibes

For example, I wouldnt want to wait longer on hold to make a reservation because more people are now on the phone explaining how little Johnny threw up on the monorail.

This may be why Disney has released a new number specifically for making cancellations.

Just wanted to check since we have about 7 restaurants on that list for our trip in February.

I obviously made ADRs already, so I understand I would be grandfathered in re: having to provide a CC for the guarantee....but if I don't cancel within 24 hours, is there any way for them to charge me? (i.e. will they charge my room or the credit card I used to guarantee Cali Grill?) I know that we have to cancel within 24 hours for Cali Grill as it stands right now, but if I make my ADRs before 10/26, do I have to worry about it for the rest of my signatures?

Ann :goodvibes

Since they do have a credit card on file for you because of your California Grill reservation, I would err on the side of caution. Just be sure to either get to your reservations or cancel them as soon as you know you won't be using them.

Cape May and Ohana are on this list since they are character breakfasts. Will dinners at these two places also be subject to the non-cancel fee?

I don't like it. I am a big planner and make ADRs for one meal per day of our trip. At least one day of a week-long trip we will get up and decide to change our plans for the day so I call and cancel that ADR (yes, I actually cancel so that someone else can take our spot). Now that will cost me $40. And I do not believe my table will go unused--these are the most popular restaurants and they are always full (even during the "slow" week in January when we travel).

I only understand this as a money-making effort. Otherwise, why not allow cancelling 3 hours in advance which then allows more walk-ups to be seated--plenty of people wish more they could walk up?

Anyway, I'm going online now to make the rest of my January ADRs so I can get grandfathered in. Flame me now!

This will not apply to any ADRS that were already made prior to October 26. No matter if they have a CC number on file for your room or for another restaurant reservation. I think it pretty clearly says that it is for reservations MADE on or after October 26.

Cape May and Ohana are on this list since they are character breakfasts. Will dinners at these two places also be subject to the non-cancel fee?

From what is written here it appears the credit card policy will apply to ALL meals at the listed restaurants. They do not list any exceptions. And I can't believe they wouldn't apply this to 'Ohana dinner, that's the most popular restaurant on the list.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter