New Aqua Duck SINGLE RIDER height restriction...

Deb T.

DIS Veteran
I just received my weekly All Ears email and this is a direct quote:

"From Deb Wills aboard the Disney Dream: There is a new minimum height requirement for single riders on the AquaDuck -- if riding solo, you must be at least 54 inches tall."

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I wanted to pass this info along right away!

Whew! I just make it by 6 inches!! Now to go measure DS11.

When we were on the MV they were talking about adding restrictions. The biggest issue is weight. If there is not enough weight in the tube they don't move fast enough. If the tube doesn't pass sensors in a certain amount of time the system thinks the tube is stuck and the water shuts down. Then it takes 15-20 minutes to clear and reset the ride. It happened several times that I saw on the MV.

Any idea of what weight is too light?

When we were on the MV they were talking about adding restrictions. The biggest issue is weight. If there is not enough weight in the tube they don't move fast enough. If the tube doesn't pass sensors in a certain amount of time the system thinks the tube is stuck and the water shuts down. Then it takes 15-20 minutes to clear and reset the ride. It happened several times that I saw on the MV.

well that kinda sucks… :|

Any idea of what weight is too light?

The single rider is a child that meets the height requirement of 48", but doesn't weigh enough to get the ride float to go fast enough to pass the sensors on time, thus causing the ride to shut down (unnecessarily).

Wow I was right way back in the day! It has to do withi X% of the population of at least 48" weigh on average YZ weight..... figured it had to do with the ability of the water jets to move a light tube over a heavy tube....

from what is written there, it's a restriction on height only and a person under 54" is not required to ride with an ADULT, correct? So for example, a 48" 8yo would be allowed to ride with a 54" 12yo? or even two 48" kids could ride together?

Wow I was right way back in the day! It has to do withi X% of the population of at least 48" weigh on average YZ weight.....

I'm sure it has to do with this correlation and 54" tall equates with the correct weight to operate the Aqua Duck.

Disney I'm sure, doesn't want to be asking rider if they are FAT enough to ride alone.

from what is written there, it's a restriction on height only and a person under 54" is not required to ride with an ADULT, correct? So for example, a 48" 8yo would be allowed to ride with a 54" 12yo? or even two 48" kids could ride together?

The newly reported restriction applies to SINGLE RIDERS only. Single riders must now be 54" tall to ride alone.

When two people are riding the Aqua Duck together, both riders must be at least 48" tall.

I can guarantee that my 55" 10yo does not weigh enough to get that tube down by herself, there is not a slim jean/pant skinny enough to stay on her body and still be long enough. We have always had problems keeping weight on her (health issues stemming from celiac disease and her ADHD medicine). I will just have to make sure she knows to ride with her sister or friend and emphasize that TWO RIDERS MAKE IT FASTER! :rotfl:

So for skinny but tall enough recalcitrant children who want to GO BY THEMSELVES the key (based on personality) is to either state

1) Two riders make it faster and/or

2) Single riders will get stuck

Get the picture --- I want to ride it a lot and without unnecessary wait times.:thumbsup2

The single rider is a child that meets the height requirement of 48", but doesn't weigh enough to get the ride float to go fast enough to pass the sensors on time, thus causing the ride to shut down (unnecessarily).

I didn't ask "why" but rather "if" there is an ideal minimum weight to make the thing still function as designed. You know, so that we can send our lighter kids through the buffet line a few more times if need be. ;):rotfl2:

I didn't ask "why" but rather "if" there is an ideal minimum weight to make the thing still function as designed. You know, so that we can send our lighter kids through the buffet line a few more times if need be. ;):rotfl2:

Yeah, I bet it gets stuck a lot more in the beginning of the cruise than it does at the end :rotfl2:

So for skinny but tall enough recalcitrant children who want to GO BY THEMSELVES the key (based on personality) is to either state

1) Two riders make it faster and/or

2) Single riders will get stuck

Get the picture --- I want to ride it a lot and without unnecessary wait times.:thumbsup2

It is VERY true - 2 riders does make it go much faster!!!! I didn't want to ride with my 13 year old, so she rode it by herself the first day. I ended up riding one day with her - just to say I rode it. All of the CM stated that it goes much faster with 2 people (i.e. more weight). My dd totally agreed and stated it was much faster with both of us. As a matter of fact she wasn't that impressed with it the first day - said it was too slow. She agrees much better with 2 people.

So. . . . if they don't have a sibling to ride with, ask them to find a friend to ride it !! :thumbsup2

The newly reported restriction applies to SINGLE RIDERS only. Single riders must now be 54" tall to ride alone.

When two people are riding the Aqua Duck together, both riders must be at least 48" tall.

Oh this is not good news.

Oh and I still think it's goofy to make it 48" if you're riding with parent. For goodness sakes we have WAY more dangerous slides here at our waterparks that they only have to be either 36'' for some or 42'' for others to ride.... if you're with your parent is it really necessary to be 48" tall? It can't be a weight thing then- the parent is surely heavy enough. I feel for the ones with kids barely under 48'' that can't even ride it with their parents. I mean gosh.

And wow- 54'' to ride alone.... I think my 17yr old barely makes that cut off. :rotfl: I mean seriously- I'm only 62'' and I'm totally done growing. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter