• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NEVER doing Jersey Week Again

This is our dilemma too. We either have to go in the summer, week of Thanksgiving, week of Christmas, week of New Year's, or week of Easter or pull our kids out of school for more than a couple days which is tough. We don't have a "fall break" and our "spring break" is always a few days during the week of Good Friday/Easter. We also don't have teacher conference/development days in our school district; and when we do have a short school week it is usually due to a holiday that falls on a Monday (MLK day, President's Day, Columbus Day, Memorial Day, etc.) which are also busy times at WDW.

With elementary and middle school kids in year round schools, we get time off in non-peak times and school during some time in the summer. I am so happy to be able to be in year round school with 9 weeks on/3 weeks off. Going in early December and hopefully the crowds won't be too bad as the only think special is Pop Warner (there in 2009 during pop warner and no problem or crowds from it). Not looking forward to a few years when kids move to high school and back to traditional calendar and only getting to choose holiday or summer periods. Don't like crowds and can't stand the heat.

im still banking the week after thanksgiving won't be too bad.

Have a good touring plan.

In 2010, that week was busy, 6's and 7's on the touring plans crowd calendar. I thought MK was an 8 the 2 days I was in that park during the week.
And don't forget about the parade taping at MK that first weekend of December. That makes MK extra crowded.

I haven't checked this year since I'm not going at that time of year this year and let my subscription lapse.

We were there Nov 5-12. We didn't notice an increase in the crowd level until about Thursday, so all-in-all I liked going that week. The weather was lovely, and we got to "double-dip" at Food and Wine and the Xmas stuff that had started (MVMCP and Osbourne Lights). As long as you have a good touring plan, you should be fine. I did hear that the state of Ohio has a short week the same week as NJ which may be adding to the crowds. Plus free dining, Vet's Day, end of F&W. That being said, Thursday night (opening of Osbourne Lights) was PACKED as was MVMCP on Friday night. It was sold out actually.

My DH and I stayed at AKV last December 12-18. The crowds were EXTREMELY light until Thursday-Friday. It seemed like the perfect time to be there. All the holiday things were going on, but since Christmas was on a Saturday, all the kiddos were still in school. I think it also helped that there was a freak cold storm that caused temperatures to get into the low 20s at night the first few nights of our trip. :eek:

Other than that, I loved it!

Jersey Week doesn't always fall the same week as Veterans Day. Those years when it doesn't Jersey week is less crowded. The next two years Veterans Day will be celebrated the week after Jersey week so Jersey week should be a little less crowded.

We did Jersey Week 2009 and this year, 2011. Overall this year seemed more crowded, and I do think it was the perfect storm of Veteran's Day, end of F&W and start od Christmas parties, etc. But it was not trip-ruining - and I would do this week again.

In 2009, I knew nothing about avoiding parks with EMH, etc. and did not hit rope drop every day. Had no problems riding anything except Toy Story, which we did hit at rope drop. Walked on ToT, EE, all the biggies, expcet Soarin' but I do not recall FP's selling out mid-day, but I could be misremembering.

This year, I followed all of EasyWDW recommendations and most days seemed more crowded this year.
Sat the 5th - AK - walkways always seem crowded. No line for Kali but it was cold - hit safari arund 9:30, no wait. Got FP for EE it was about 30 or 40 minutes stand-by. Not awful
SUN - DHS - hit rope drop for TSM and Jedi training, accomplished both. 20-30 minutes for ToT, did single rider for RnRC - maybe 15 minutes?? 20 minutes for the great movie ride. FP's Star Tours - that wast 30-40 most of the day. Hopped to MK for fireworks - it was breezy, cool and drizzly - no wait for Splash (LOL), 15 minutes for BTMR. Walked on HM. Did fireworks, all manageable.
MON - Epcot - very busy. Did not get there until 10 ish - for FP for Soarin and TT and rode them that way. Soarin FP gone by 1pm. Standy by was 80 minutes most of the day - TT standby was about 60 most of the day. 20 minutes or so for Mission Space. Living with the Land and Maelstrom were 30 minutes. Will say the lines during luch for F&W were just fine. MUSH worse at dinner.
TUES - MK - was fine (1st MVMCP that day) - hit rope drop and literally did everything including the parade by 4:30-5pm. Used FP for Space and Jungle Cruise only.
WED - AK - was fine, again walkways seemed crowded as always but no real lines. Longest was 20 minutes for safari.
THURS - Epcot am - pretty empty no issues - no FP needed for anything that am. again F&W for lunch - no lines. Hopped to DHS for lights and WHOA. Taht was the worst of teh week, but we knew we were just there to do Osborne lights and Indane Jones. Also got in Star Tours (30-40 mionutes maybe). ToT was running about 30 - 40 minytes as well, got FP. TSM was 110, as usual. FP for RnRC were gon by late afternoon.

It was not bad, but I admit, I had to adjust my expectation once I realized this was going to be different than 09.

i hate crowds and can't take the heat...harder and harder to find a week without both. i'm crossing off first half of november for now. thanks for this thread.

i hate crowds and can't take the heat...harder and harder to find a week without both. i'm crossing off first half of november for now. thanks for this thread.

It does get harder and harder....... I bet this week will be a lot calmer. And late January is good too.

I have to second the OP's opinion - I was there last week, as well, and WHOA! It was PACKED! I had been there in August for two weeks, and never experienced the crowds like I did last week. It was definitely crazy - and even using all of TGM, EasyWDW, Touring Plan, etc strategy - it was difficult just to maneuver through the crowds to get to the next attraction.

I was at Osborne Lights the opening night, and it was very crowded - although they had us entering in at the back and then moving forwards, and it wasn't too bad.

I attended the MVMCP Friday night (the 11th), and although it was sold out, I had a good time (I did most things except for characters). I had reservations for the Tomorrowland Dessert Party, and had a perfect view of Wishes that night...then, went over to Frontierland to catch the 2nd parade and easily found a spot.

... No offense to those from NJ, but we usually go this week (14th and onward) each year and decided to go earlier this time around. We were there from the 4th to the 11th and the lines and crowds in the parks made it a pretty miserable trip. Will never do it again. Lesson learned! Curious though... Do NJ schools have this week and Thanksgiving week off? Two weeks off in one month?

I am posting this because I know a lot of people ask about what the best weeks are for each month and Jersey Week is not it! ;) Hopefully we get to go again next year for our favorite week - right before Thanksgiving.

Well...I'm glad it was just crowded and not that my tri-state neighbors in NJ were rowdy !! (can you say Jersey Shore??) LOL (no flames please...my daughter lives in Jersey):) Just a side note...McGill is my maiden name!

I'm not so sure it was all due to Jersey week. It also was also the week of Veterans Day. It's hard to imagine one state, the 11th largest, having THAT big of an impact. I could be wrong though.

People have been posting all fall about how much more crowded it is this year. It seems as though it is busier across the board. We experienced slightly higher crowd levels last week of Sept this year, but not much more than 2010 IMO.

Dan

Actually several FL tourism sites including mousesavers have cited statistics stating Jersey is the biggest market for WDW.

Now shhhh and no one tell MTV that. Please oh please don't. :goodvibes

We were there Nov 5-12. We didn't notice an increase in the crowd level until about Thursday, so all-in-all I liked going that week. The weather was lovely, and we got to "double-dip" at Food and Wine and the Xmas stuff that had started (MVMCP and Osbourne Lights). As long as you have a good touring plan, you should be fine. I did hear that the state of Ohio has a short week the same week as NJ which may be adding to the crowds. Plus free dining, Vet's Day, end of F&W. That being said, Thursday night (opening of Osbourne Lights) was PACKED as was MVMCP on Friday night. It was sold out actually.

We were there from the 5-11 and I would agree with the above. We have been there this time in the past, as well as over spring break and easter. The parks weren't bad until Thursday when we were at DHS.

We followed Touring plans recommended days and went to Epcot on Sunday, MK on Monday, MVMCP on Tuesday, AK on Wednesday and DHS on Thursday. We were at RD every day and left the parks around 1 or 2 and returned around 4 or 5. We did everything we wanted and were able to double up on FP's for the headliner rides. We also did a ton of characters.

My biggest complaint all week was the time that we had to wait to be seated for our ADR's. It was at least 20 mins past our ADR every night.

This was also my first expeirence with Jersey week. It was very interesting/enternaining to a midwestern. Very colorful people. Also, I have never seen so many Eagle/Giant/Jet football jerseys!!!

we were there last week also and it was indeed packed!

friends that live in the orlando area said there were a few big conventions in town, so those people and jersey people contributed to the crowd.

we stayed off grounds sat and sunday nite and went to the wing house to watch the saints/bucs game. there were a ton of jets jersey's in there. we were surprised to not see bucs jersey's.

i think we'll stick with october from now on...even though the xmas lights/decorations were so pretty.

We were there last week also from the 8th to the 12th....Wednesday we did AK and with use of FP's did not have to wait except for Kali which was not distributing FP. Thursday MK was crowded but I expected that cause of EMH in the morning, and Epcot was so packed on Friday that we hopped to MK till closing. It was not my choice of weeks, but the only week my brother and his family could go...still had a great time with the family ;)

My DH and I stayed at AKV last December 12-18. The crowds were EXTREMELY light until Thursday-Friday. It seemed like the perfect time to be there. All the holiday things were going on, but since Christmas was on a Saturday, all the kiddos were still in school. I think it also helped that there was a freak cold storm that caused temperatures to get into the low 20s at night the first few nights of our trip. :eek:

Other than that, I loved it!

And lately over the past few years, I'm finding that week to (slowly) be getting worse and worse. It's not Christmas Day crazy, but it's getting more crowded. And I've been going that same week, Sunday through Thursday, every year for the past ten years now.

I'm surprised... We were there last year from 11/6-11/13 and other than Veteran's day, it was one of the best weeks we've taken. This year we went 10/22-10/29 and it was busier than last November. I have to agree with others about what traditionally used to be a slower time to go is no longer.

We've done the same week 4 years in a row. Last year I blamed the golf tournement... this year I largely blame Veteran's Day. I normally blame the last weekend of F/W too.... but I went on Sunday and was able to walk right through the booths at lunchtime. The crowds were at every park on Friday and Saturday. Hopefully this year scared people off because I booked Nov 1-10 for next year :)

We were there that week as well (Nov 8th to 14th). Parks were way more crowded than we anticipated. Long lines for everything. On top of that, we made the mistake of going to HS on a day Fantasmic was playing. We could not do anything -- lines way to long for our kids and fastpasses for times we were going to have already left. During the week everyone I spoke with at the parks seemed to be from Jersey and asked me if we were from Jersey. Don't think we'll do it again either.

im still banking the week after thanksgiving won't be too bad.

Boy I hope you're right - that's when we're going to be there. This is the first time for us in late November/early December and we're so looking forward to it. Our last trip in late September 2009 was not one of our better trips due to heat/humidity so I'm looking forward to low(er) crowds and cooler temps. Also looking forward to Christmas decorations, MVMCP, and...well everything. Ten days!

I totally agree. We were there Nov 3-12 and the crowds were very manageable, albeit more crowded at peak areas. However, even DHS and the Osbourne Lights on Friday weren't that bad.

We were there mid-Sept last year and felt the crowds much higher. I have also been tracking wait times through 2 different apps since we returned and compared to last week, the MK was much more crowded Mon. than last Sat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter