Never Ate at Ohanas Before...Will I Be Disappointed?

slyster

DIS Veteran
The last couple of trips to Disney, I was not able to get Ohanas reservations. Finally, for the first time, I got one for our trip coming up at the end of the month. Considering I have never eaten there before, will I be disappointed by the food/taste?

I see Yachtsman Steakhouse is opening now and I planned on cancelling our Rainforest Cafe reservation (my wife chose it for the theme LOL) and replacing it with YS, but now I'm wondering if Ohanas is as bad as a lot of people are saying. Seems a lot of the feedback has to do with folks returning after wonderful past experiences.

I would love some feedback!

My first time was 2/20 prior to that my family went (and loved it) I had come down with the Flu at WDW (yeah fun... not). All that said I really enjoyed everything, well I was not a fan of the peel and eat shrimp - way to much work IMHO, it was a trip for my wife and I only and our TA scored a perfect time so we could be having dinner and watch the fireworks. For me it's on my list of to do again when we go back.

the menu has changed. I would watch reviews and decide if its worth the money.
just as before, the reviews I've read are mixed.

I’m glad for a couple of video reviews. Seems when compared with old Ohanas, it isn’t as good. However folks did say for most part the food was good. We will stick with it and experience it for ourselves.

I’m not a fan of either of those restaurants. Ohara can be ok but it can be awful and it’s too expensive for inconsistent. We have also had rude servers. I’ve also never liked YS

flying fish has always been our firm favourite I’d recommend it over many other restaurants at Disney

Always had a great experience at Ohana. We had a reservation for our trip earlier this month but wound up cancelling since it was our last day and also the first day of food & wine, which meant we had to go that night if we wanted to go. We didn't want to fill up at Ohana and not enjoy trying the different foods at F&W so we cancelled our reservation.

I think it's a lot of money for what it is. If you get a good server and your food is good, you can have an overall good experience. If you have a 'bad' server for whatever reason, or they forget to bring something for a long time, many times, or if the food you were looking forward to is having a bad day, you can have a bad experience. Currently, I'm not willing to risk it for a mandatory pretax and tip fee of $55 pp.

otoh if I book something that is a la carte and I'm not hungry, or I get a crabby server, etc, I can cut my losses by ordering an app and leaving without having to pay for a multicourse dinner.

I’m not a fan of either of those restaurants. Ohara can be ok but it can be awful and it’s too expensive for inconsistent. We have also had rude servers. I’ve also never liked YS

flying fish has always been our firm favourite I’d recommend it over many other restaurants at Disney
I have the exact same thoughts as you. Used to love Ohana for dinner (well over five years ago) but it has unfortunately gone downhill in more recent years for the dinner service (both food quality and the experience -- although more so for food quality) and YS has been a letdown for me -- especially for steak (which is what they are all about). So many great options across WDW though, so no shortage of dining to experience and decide for yourself.

My daughter and I love Ohana ! It's become one of our traditions - but just got up at 5:45 to book and no luck - hate the 60 days ADR time !

I would love to go to Flying Fish. If they happen to open before our trip, I'll gladly switch from Yachtsman to Flying Fish. The other thing is we are staying at BWI so both of those restaurants are close.

I think it's a lot of money for what it is. If you get a good server and your food is good, you can have an overall good experience. If you have a 'bad' server for whatever reason, or they forget to bring something for a long time, many times, or if the food you were looking forward to is having a bad day, you can have a bad experience. Currently, I'm not willing to risk it for a mandatory pretax and tip fee of $55 pp.

otoh if I book something that is a la carte and I'm not hungry, or I get a crabby server, etc, I can cut my losses by ordering an app and leaving without having to pay for a multicourse dinner.

If I get a chance, I'll report back. I agree it's a lot of money. Everything at Disney is a lot of money, but I feel like since I have never been to Ohanas and waited years to go, I'm hoping to be in my "happy place" and the food turns out to be pretty good.

I would love to go to Flying Fish. If they happen to open before our trip, I'll gladly switch from Yachtsman to Flying Fish. The other thing is we are staying at BWI so both of those restaurants are close.

Flying Fishes is good too!

The Menu has changed and really wasn't that happy last time we went, Food was just ok, its definitely something you should try if you never been there before

Look at the menu and then ask yourself if you would order the items if you had a choice. For me, the only things that I'd actually order are the wings and noodles with bread pudding for dessert. I'd have included the potstickers if they still came with sauce. Everything else is either meh or a hard no. You can get the wings, noodles and bread pudding at the bar - that would be where I'd go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter