Nervous Going Solo

raybacchus

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone, this is my first post so forgive any errors :)

I was suppose to travel with the wife and kids in the second week of December but it looks like no one can make it (kids are still in school and wife cannot escape work), so I was thinking of going myself, but I've never done much solo travelling.

Any advice on what to do? I'm not a social butterfly (so I avoid the bar scene) but I am not one who usually likes doing things solo and usually enjoy the group atmosphere (especially when it comes to dining).

I was suppose to travel with the wife and kids in the second week of December but it looks like no one can make it (kids are still in school and wife cannot escape work), so I was thinking of going myself, but I've never done much solo travelling.

Any advice on what to do? I'm not a social butterfly (so I avoid the bar scene) but I am not one who usually likes doing things solo and usually enjoy the group atmosphere (especially when it comes to dining).
I too was nervous on my first solo trip to the world but ended up loving it and have made many solo and non-solo since!

The main thing I've found out abour solo trips is it's all about YOU! If you're a morning person, head to the parks early and ride your favorite rides as often as you want OR sleep in and have a nice breakfast somewhere. Try new things that the rest of the family is not interested in. I've also met some great people while standing in line for rides!

So my advice is check it out - if you get lonely, your family is just a call away!!

Going solo is actually quite nice.. I agree that it allows you freedom to do your own thing.. You can sleep in if you wish or get going early without waiting on anyone.. You can come back and nap or stay in the parks late.. When I go solo, I tend to ride the attractions that I enjoy the most.. That my daughter doesn't appreciate as much.. It allows you to use the single rider line where available and gives you more freedom to talk to the cm's you come across.. After your first trip, you'll know more how you feel about it and if nothing else, it's something you gave a try.. You never know til you give it a try! Have fun!!

I love going solo! You can do things your way, on your schedule!

ditto.. i have done 2 trips solo.... take lots of breaks...do whatever YOU want to do....I went to the barber shop on main st MK and got a haircut...no one had to sit around and wait for me.... i also found as a solo getting into table service places at last minute with no ressie was pretty easy too...good luck and GO FOR IT...you might start a new trend :rolleyes1

miltimo5 said:
ditto.. i have done 2 trips solo.... take lots of breaks...do whatever YOU want to do....I went to the barber shop on main st MK and got a haircut...no one had to sit around and wait for me.... i also found as a solo getting into table service places at last minute with no ressie was pretty easy too...good luck and GO FOR IT...you might start a new trend :rolleyes1

I went to the Barber Shop too - I got a trim and my hair pixie-dusted, and since I liked it so much, I went back two more mornings I was at MK and got them to pixie-dust it again. No-one else in my family would've had the patience for that at rope drop!

I guess I would have to ask what makes you nervous about traveling solo? as everyone has stated earlier, you have so much freedom to do what you wish as long as you wish. if your concern is looking like you're alone, most people are so involved in their own magic, they aren't thinking about anyone else. if it's the dining thing, do some quick service places instead of table service, OR do the complete opposite and have family style so you are in a social atmosphere. regardless of what or where you go, there are CMs that will chat with you to make you feel more comfortable. I tend to make 90% of my Disney trips solo, and when I dine alone (which I am totally ok with) I normally catch up on my Netflix movies/shows or play on my tablet or the best is people watch.
if you allow yourself the time, you can really enjoy the solo thing, and you know you can always find someone here on the board to hang with if you feel uncomfortable traversing the parks alone...lots of people want a "park buddy" to hang with during their stay

Solo is great fun if you allow it to be. I'm not johnny outgoing but have a blast on my solo trips...do what you want when you want!! Have fun!!

Go for it! I was debating a solo trip last year after my husband decided he didn't want to go. I decided to just do it and I leave in three weeks! I know I'm going to get lonely sometimes but I'll be able to call or video chat with my family whenever I want!

Well, I did it...>Dec 8 arriving solo!
I've heard others say it is not boring at all so I decided to go forward with it.
Staying at Port Orleans French Quarter (I stayed with the family 2 years ago and it was a nice relaxing place).
Here's hoping that this time will be just as exciting.

Well, I did it...>Dec 8 arriving solo!
I've heard others say it is not boring at all so I decided to go forward with it.
Staying at Port Orleans French Quarter (I stayed with the family 2 years ago and it was a nice relaxing place).
Here's hoping that this time will be just as exciting.

Awesome! You'll have a good time! I went on my solo trip this year and had a nice time. I was overwhelmingly lonely the night I arrived but I was fine the rest of the time. I had traveled 10 hours and I think I was just really tired. I did miss my husband and my family but not so much that I had a bad time. Going at my own pace was great and I could ride whatever I wanted to over and over!

I will say the worst part is waiting in line for the bus. I stayed at Pop and the queue is different than the queue at POR so it may not be a big issue for you. I also found that people seemed to think I was invisible sometimes and I would get pushed or cut in line. That was frustrating. Cast Members were really nice though (well except for the France CM's).

Have done a lot of solo travel all over the world and to Disney. I have learned that if I want company I can sit at the bar for dinner and talk to others there or the bartender. Or I can go to some place like the restaurant in Epcot's Germany where they seat you with others. I personally love to have lunch in Morocco and sit outside at the corner with a book and people watch over a leisurely lunch. Character meals are fun also as you can interact with them.
Another thing you might like to do is to go on one or more tours while you are there. WDW has a number of really interesting tours and it puts you with a group of people to interact with while on them. I think I have been o every tour Disney has except the train tour. But have been on 3 Segway tours, 3 AK tours, the Christmas tour, etc. Fun. When I want to be alone there are a lot of options. I especially like going to one of the nicer restaurants like Blue Zoo and pamper myself with attention and lovely cocktails. Or go to the spa... Or.... you can go on your favorite ride over and over and over. I rented one of those little speedboats once and drove it around for an hour. spent a couple of hours in my favorite store in Downtown Disney - or go to Cirque de Soleil. The event dinners are fun too like the laua... I also like roasting marshmallows at night over the campfire at the resorts or watching a movie on the beach at BC. So what I am saying is if you like being social seek out things that bring you together with others there. There are all kinds of things if you look - and there is always getting together with dissers for a meal too. I met my BFF at dinner on the boardwalk one summer.... It can be fun!

Don't be afraid of dining solo at WDW! I was solo earlier this month and had great dining experiences at Liberty Tree Tavern and The SciFi Drive In. At LTT I sat in a high traffic area and all the CMs were so friendly and polite when they passed by. Plus, it was the perfect location for people watching. At SciFi, I loved watching the cheesy film previews and ads for the concessions stands. I was entertained the whole time!

Trip is now DAYS away and getting more excited. I received my Magic Express bag tags this morning so that made things more real for me. Still contemplating what tours to take as a solo traveller and looking to visit each park at least once. Any suggestions?

Also, would any of the restaurants in Disney deliver to the hotel room? I'm staying at POFQ.

I really enjoyed the Back Woods segway tour at Fort Wilderness. I did this one on my own and my hubby did the Keys to the Kingdom tour.

My two tour guides were very funny and the they take you from the campgrounds over to the lodge. You get to stop at the horse barn and look for hidden Mickeys

Also go over to Boma at AKL at 3:45 p.m they do a free tour of the restaraunt and let you sample some of the foods for free. then they take you over to Jirko and do the same thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter