• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Nervous, Excited, and No Sure

Shelly F - Ohio

Disney Extraordinaire
I have been unemployed for 13 months and finally got a job offer!. Its a clerical position for a company that makes signs. Its full time although I would have prefered part time. It is only 8 miles from home. Its a small family owned company that has been in business for 60 years.
They are not happy with the current employee in the position as she never follow through on projects and has to be micromanaged A LOT. The other office gal/office manager works part time but because the other gal can not be relied upon to complete the task assigned the manager has to work more hours then she would like. The girl they are letting go has been with them for 3 years and they have tryed to work with her but no luck.
For some reason I am apprehensive about it. I know i can do the job with out a dought. It is so close to home!

So much for the projects I had planned around the house. So today I touched up the paint job in the kitchen I did last week. Patched holes in the walls in the hallway upstairs and painted the ceiling in the hallway. Gosh my shoulder is killing me. So I am on the heating pad now and the Courtyard has a great rate for tomorrow night $55.00 so I booked a night away so relax in the hot tub.

Mine ultimate plan is that we are currently in the process of refi our mtg and that reduces our mtg by $435 a month! So the money I make plus the $435 we will apply to the principle of the loan and hopefully pay our house of in 5-6 years!!!!

For anyone out there who would like to refy your mtg. check with our lender. there is a new program called HARP and it does not require an appraisal - especially since the house values have dropped. We refy with Ever Bank and only had to pay $2000 which can be rolled into the loan so there is no money out of pocket except the credit report which cost $16.

Gosh I am so torn. What to do what to do.. They want me to start on May 2.

Congratulations! :cool1:

I'm not sure where the question comes in - are you trying to decide if you should take the job? It sounds like you know a lot about it and are confident you can do it well - awesome!
Don't worry about the nagging doubts - EVERYONE is nervous when starting a new job.

If I had been unemployed for 13 months and a job came along that I knew I could do with decent pay and acceptable hours I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Well after a few days it has finally become not so scary. I in fact am looking forward to it. Especially since we decided to plan a little get away before I start and DH has some comp time he has to use. We aren't going far just down to Columbus and then maybe to Amish country.

I have not worked full time in 4 years! In the past I have worked part time. Now I have to get adjusted to how to get chores done. Lately I have been doing everything, cleaning, cooking, laundry, mowing grass, taking care of the leaves in the fall, taking cars for oil changes, painting - I just did two rooms this week and plan to get a hallway done this weekend!. Good thing we bought the front end washer a few years ago it really saves time and energy. But the good thing is I get off at 5pm and can be home by 5:20. I will have to plan meals ahead of time. My first week they are having me come in 9-4 so that they girl training me can get some of her own stuff done in the office while I am not there.

Best wishes on your new job!
Let the crockpot be your best friend for dinners. There are tons of great recipes out there!

Congrats on the new job. You are going to do great!

Have fun in Columbus. It is a nice town and has grown so much since we lived there in the mid seventies. It was nice then but I hear it is so much better now. We use to love German Village but I have heard that it is not such a big deal any more. There were great places to eat there and the best ice cream shop, I think called the Golden Eagle. They had the best chocolate butterscotch malted milkshakes!

Have fun and relax. You will be great at this new job!:woohoo:

Congrats! Hopefully after you are trained and show them what you can do, you will be so effecient that you can cut your hours alittle.

Oh Shelly that is WONDERFUL!!! :thumbsup2:hug:

I think it is normal to be nervous, but I am sooooo happy for you. I know it hasn't been easy...:yay::yay:

Congrats on the new job. I just started a new job after a few years of unemployment and it is an adjustment. The crock pot has been my friend lately and menu planning is key.

One suggestion-cook big meals on weekends for leftovers the next week

Make chili-leftovers-serve on pasta

I always have a grilled chicken on salad as one workday meal-quick!

I have been unemployed for 13 months and finally got a job offer!. Its a clerical position for a company that makes signs. Its full time although I would have prefered part time. It is only 8 miles from home. Its a small family owned company that has been in business for 60 years.
They are not happy with the current employee in the position as she never follow through on projects and has to be micromanaged A LOT. The other office gal/office manager works part time but because the other gal can not be relied upon to complete the task assigned the manager has to work more hours then she would like. The girl they are letting go has been with them for 3 years and they have tryed to work with her but no luck.
For some reason I am apprehensive about it. I know i can do the job with out a dought. It is so close to home!

So much for the projects I had planned around the house. So today I touched up the paint job in the kitchen I did last week. Patched holes in the walls in the hallway upstairs and painted the ceiling in the hallway. Gosh my shoulder is killing me. So I am on the heating pad now and the Courtyard has a great rate for tomorrow night $55.00 so I booked a night away so relax in the hot tub.

Mine ultimate plan is that we are currently in the process of refi our mtg and that reduces our mtg by $435 a month! So the money I make plus the $435 we will apply to the principle of the loan and hopefully pay our house of in 5-6 years!!!!

For anyone out there who would like to refy your mtg. check with our lender. there is a new program called HARP and it does not require an appraisal - especially since the house values have dropped. We refy with Ever Bank and only had to pay $2000 which can be rolled into the loan so there is no money out of pocket except the credit report which cost $16.

Gosh I am so torn. What to do what to do.. They want me to start on May 2.
Congratulations!

Are you the one who will be writing up the orders for signs? You might want to brush up on your proof reading or spelling skills. ;). I never catch my own mistakes until after I hit submit. Lol

Good luck in your new job. :goodvibes

gosh now with two more burgleries in our developement bringing the total to 11 since Feb 1 of this year I am having second thoughts.

Just the other day in broad daylight the house two doors down from us was broken into. A few weeks before that, the house next door to use was broken into. I heard both of them when they happened. The first one next door I just chalked it up to the cat makeing a loud noise when he jumped out of the basement window. Then about 25 minutes later the neighbor was ringing my doorbell like crazy and asked if I was ok. And he preceeded to tell me that he just got home from work and his house was broken into. I then told him that at 3:10 I heard a loud noise. He said they knocked over there dresser.
The other one that happened a few days ago made me look outside when I heard a loud banging which actually went on for about an hour. I saw nothing however I can't see the back of the house from my backyard and that is where they broke into. The police officer said they completely tore up the inside of the house it was a complete mess. Which explained all the banging I heard.

Only 3 have happened during the night time hours so I am afraid to be away from home during the day. When I do run errands I do what I have to and come right back home for fear someone will break in while I am gone. Now with this job I will be gone everyday!
I someone broke in we have 5 kitties that would run away and I would be beside myself if that happened. Not to mention the damage and the goods they would steal. I have been taking my purse and keys to bed at night. I also have been sleeping on the couch A LOT.
GOSH what a mess.

Just an observation: It really sounds like you don't want to go to work...that you enjoy being home. Only you know if your financial situation is such that you need to work to help make ends meet. Even though society has decided that the "norm" is for both people to work, it doesn't have to be that way. The two of you should talk it over and decide what you really need to do.

Someone can also break into your house during the day while you are in it. Or at night while you are init. Or during the day when you run to the store. Or during the day when you're out in your backyard cutting the lawn.....the list is endless....

Sounds like you're looking for excuses not to work. Not a bad thing as long as your family finances work without your income. Sit down and go over things with your DH...

Agreed. If you don't want to take the job for whatever reason, then don't. We can't decide it for you.

With that said, I won't allow anyone to be a prisoner in my own home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter