Need your help! Akershus or Chef Mickey for our granddaughters first visit?

cyclonemama

Earning My Ears
My husband and I are taking our 3 granddaughters, ages 9,7, and 5 to Disney in February. It will be their first visit and we would like to surprise them with a character meal. We were thinking either Akershus Royal Palace or Chef Mickey. I wish we could swing both, but it isn't in the budget. I would appreciate some insight on this with those that have young girls and what they enjoyed more. Also which meal would you suggest? Thanks!

With kids that age I would prefer to do a family style buffet where it is served at the table instead of having to go to the buffet and plate your own meal.

If you decide on Mickey and his crew I would pick Garden Grill over CM because of that option. Personally it's a pain to have to get up and make plates for everyone and make sure they are all seated when the characters come around.

Now to answer your question. I don't know. Would your kids enjoy princesses more or Mickey and his crew more?

Some kids my first included are scared of the big characters their first time meeting them. I was glad we had plenty of meals and time to warm my son up to them when we first visited. With the age of the older two they may prefer the princesses.

Honestly with the ages of yours. If you can't decide at all on your own I'd just ask them who'd they would rather see.

If they like princesses, Akershus is a more charming and less chaotic experience. The food is somewhat better, especially as it is plated with more of an appetizer buffet. Chef Mickey is a loud buffet with average (or worse) quality buffet food.

I will say plated or family-style over buffet 95% of the time unless the buffet is Tusker House, or unless the character choices are "nice ones at buffet" versus "bring your 2 year old to meet classic horror slasher film characters! family style!"

We love both, but my kids are almost 7 and it's not a Disney trip for them unless we start our week at a Chef Mickey's breakfast! It stands for all things Disney!!!! Enjoy!

Love both but I would give the edge to (and I cannot believe I am saying this) Chef Mickeys. We just went there for the first time as I am not a fan of crowds nor buffets and certainly not both at the same time but were very pleasantly surprised. I will say - we had a 7:15am reservation so that probably helped with the crowds, noise, cleanliness, etc (I highly recommend getting up early for a PPO reservation and breakfast is usually the cheapest meal - bonus). The characters and atmosphere were great. They take your picture while you are waiting to be seated and our buzzer went off before we were even done with pictures. The characters came around fairly quickly, we were only waiting for Minnie by the time we finished eating. The food was better than I expected and on par with most of the Disney food. The staff was super friendly and took pictures with my camera for us, joked around with the kids while we were waiting for Minnie, etc. For a first visit there is nothing more classic Disney then Chef Mickey's followed by a quick walk to the Magic Kingdom.

Our family loved Chef Mickeys. It was so fun, the character interaction was great, and the food was really not bad.

We have not yet been to Askerhaus, but do plan to try that on our next trip.

both are fun. It really comes down to whether the kids would prefer to meet princesses or Mickey and friends. I have a daughter and she and I prefer Akershus but my wife LOVES Chef Mickey's. You can't go wrong with either.

Of those 2, I'd pick Akershus. I think that the food quality is better and I like the point a PP made: the main meal is pre-plated so you don't have to get up and down a zillion times with each child. Akershus does have a cold bar with fish, cheese, and salads, that sort of thing. I thought that the character interaction with the princesses was fantastic.

I would pick Akershus if the girls are into princesses. If you want Mickey and friends, I would suggest Garden Grill. The restaurant rotates and when you see the characters, there is no one else in your photos.

What are the kids interested in? If they learn towards Princesses I would choose Akershus breakfast. If they like the traditional characters, I would choose CM.

What I would suggest is that you check out the character locations in the parks. Unless there is a specific Princess that the girls must meet, you can see many in the parks, as you can with Mickey. If the kids like the Chipmunks, I would choose Garden Grill. If they enjoy Lilo and Stitch, 'Ohana breakfast is awesome. Pluto and Mickey are there as well.

Another for Akershus. If they are into princess at all; then they will love it. Food is great.

Chef Mickeys, its soo fun. But our favorite is Cape May for Breakfast.

Kae

I've always wanted to do Akershus, but seeing We have a child of each gender we have skipped it. Chef mickeys was ok, kids had fun. I would pick akershus with little girls!

It's all about your girls and what they like. If they are really into the princesses, then do the princess meal. I know my daughter was over the princesses by age 7, yup, broke my heart. But every kid is different. Chef Mickeys is always one of our faves. Classic Disney. First trip? I think I'd do Chef mickeys. But I'd factor in their love of princesses as well. Probably will be really hard to choose.

We chose Akerhaus for our first visit as our kiddo was 9 and Ariel was the priority. It was also a chance to meet several at once on a short trip. For food, I liked them better as well, but that's a personal preference. I would agree with most that it really depends on whether your grandkids are still into princesses or not.

We really liked Akershus. DD4 loved meeting each princess. We went for breakfast and would do it again in a minute. We didn't do Chef Mickey's because DD was all princesses all the time.

We went first time to Chef Mickey last week. It was horrible. The food was not very good (whatever, I can get over that), but the service was abysmal. We sat down. And sat. After 3 minutes, I sent my wife and daughter to get their food. When they got back, the waitress showed up to take our drink orders. We got our drinks after I was back with my food. Got a (1) refill. Took forever to get the bill. We were there for over an hour (this is a buffet mind you), and this included 25 minutes after we had seen all characters. Anyways, after my long-winded answer, Akershus no question, and if you really want the more traditional characters, head for something like Cape May or Garden Grill.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter