need *thin* fleece-type jacket (to pack)

BarbieSmith

Mouseketeer
We are going in December. We have no strollers anymore, so everything has to fit in my backpack (don't love lockers)! I would like some warm THIN jackets (for all four of us!) that are nicely packable.

My dilemma? I want fleece (so warm, and keeps warm even when wet, l which is important), but it is SO thick!

Any ideas? Thanks!

Lands End makes a couple of different types of fleece jackets. One is called Aircore, and is wind-blocking as well as being warm and lightweight. The "wind blocking" feature is really important, IMO - you can wear a fleece jacket when it's windy and the wind still cuts right through you.

There's another type on Lands End called Power Stretch that's billed as very lightweight but warm.

Lands End products are great - such wonderful quality, and fairly reasonably priced.

I used to have a Lands End aircore jacket that I loved but it finally wore out. I bought one of the PowerStretch ones but wasn't happy with it as it started to pill after a couple of months.

Instead of fleece, I've been wearing a Icebreaker merino wool jacket that I love. Lightweight, warm, doesn't smell. I bought mine from Sierra Trading Post with a coupon.

I have a EMS Power Stretch climbing hoody that is awesome. It's Polartech Power Stretch, and it's been my go to base layer for 4 or so years now. I can wear that with a waterproof rain shell in most weather above 35 degrees or so. And that happens to be what I bring to WDW 80% of the time (only leave it at home when it's not supposed to drop below 60).

You may have more luck looking for base layers instead of jackets. They can keep you remarkably warm, and are usually significantly thinner. My wife has had some good luck with both Marmot and Mountain Hard Wear for similar layering options.

I had no idea there were so many great options for us. Thanks so much for guiding me in the right direction!

Also check out the Coleman Barlow Softshell Jacket. It's a zip-up fleece with a good windbreaker outer (but not swishy--it's still soft!). I wear it in the fall when horseback riding, and on really cold winter days it's still thin enough that I can layer a coat on top of it while riding. I love it and highly recommend! As a rider, I need something that blocks the wind, but is still thin and breathable and allows me full movement. This fits the bill better than many jackets created by actual riding apparel companies.

If we ever go to WDW during a cooler month, it would be a must-pack for me.

You may have more luck looking for base layers instead of jackets. They can keep you remarkably warm, and are usually significantly thinner.

YES.

We were there the infamous December of 2010 (and I believe '09 was very cold as well), and layers would have served us MUCH better. We were leaving a chilly area and had coats with us, and they did NOTHING. Since Florida is just covered in water, and since there's water everywhere inside the parks, you've got humidity and freezing together (if the temperature drops like it did that year) and that just chills you to the bone. The coats didn't do what some nice silk long-underwear would have done for us.

I say bring the under-layers and budget for something to buy at Disney if you need it.

And remember that if you're coming from the cold, you'll be wearing something to the airport that might serve you well if it ends up cold.

(don't forget scarves, gloves, and knit hats, especially if you have anyone in your party with a big ol' gorilla skull...DH could find NOTHING to fit his head and he, a man who doesn't go from shorts to pants until it's below freezing at home, was nearly in tears watching Illuminations he was SO cold) (but remember, it was very VERY cold that December)

softshells for all of us!! i have a Columbia one and DD has one from Costco. The costco one is heavier (but much cheaper - just $30) I like that they block the wind are light, pack small, and are thin and flexible.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

We tie our fleece around our waists---not the most attractive, but better than trying to shove into backpack.

I bring my LLBean Wind Challenger hooded fleece to the parks in December and have been known to wear a hat, gloves, and long underwear because I get cold easily. That jacket keeps the wind and even a strong drizzle out. I was a very happy person two years ago when many visitors were pouring out of the parks a few hours early due to the cold and windy rain. I didn't even wear my jacket last year though. There are some nice stretchy UA fleecy type shirts that might work well in certain temperature ranges that would pack nicely into a bag. I just wear my jacket around my waist from 11-6 on those days when it is cold in the morning and evenings.

Northface Windwall 1 is awesome for winter in the south. Not to heavy, but keeps the cold off.

I have the Windwall 2 as well, but it is way to hot for the average Dec day.

Not really what you asked, but...

Even when we travel in August, we don't pack a sweatshirt, we wear it. Planes and airports are notoriously cold all year round. So, by all means, find a thin one. But consider putting it into your carryon.

northfaces come in different weights/varying thicknesses. i have a hooded zipup that's a 100 weight that's extremely thin and warm. look on their website under shirts and sweaters - fleece and there's a few 100 options.

Last December we went with a light fleece hoodie from Kohls, on sale for $18.
Perfect for the trip and we also brought gloves and hats and scarves.

(The scarves I made for the whole bunch out of Christmas print fleece, just cut a strip 6 or 8 inches wide and fringe the end. It comes in 60 inch lengths.) Easy and cheap, 8 scarves were less then $10!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter