Need suggestion for afternoon off property

maria's_mommy

Mouseketeer
Last night we told DD's teacher of our plans to take her out 5 days (Fri before and week of Veteran's Day). Her response was, don't tell anyone but I'm going on a cruise that week.:cheer2: She's leaving THur so we decided we might as well leave THur also since she won't be missing any teaching- no offense to any subs out there.
So now the question is what can we do Thur afternoon? We will get there around 3pm. We would like to do something off property since in 5 trips the only thing off prop. we have done is run to WalMart. Something DD7 and DS2 would enjoy but doesn't cost much money. TIA.

Last night we told DD's teacher of our plans to take her out 5 days (Fri before and week of Veteran's Day). Her response was, don't tell anyone but I'm going on a cruise that week.:cheer2: She's leaving THur so we decided we might as well leave THur also since she won't be missing any teaching- no offense to any subs out there.
So now the question is what can we do Thur afternoon? We will get there around 3pm. We would like to do something off property since in 5 trips the only thing off prop. we have done is run to WalMart. Something DD7 and DS2 would enjoy but doesn't cost much money. TIA.

You could head over to Ft Wilderness there are plenty of things to do there for example Chip & Dale sing along a few hours after you get there & watch the movie that would cost nothing except the price to buy the s'more kit if you wanted to I can't think of other suggestions since " doesn't cost much money" is very open to interpretation

By off the property, do you mean non-Disney or just not in a park?

If you are looking for something not in a park, but it can be Disney then the previous poster is correct. Fort Wilderness campground has lots of options. You could do archery, horseback riding, or go to the lodge & rent surrey bikes. The Contemporary also has boat rentals, waterskiing, tubing, parasailing, & other water sports. Downtown Disney is also another option for an afternoon.

If you are looking for something outside of the parks you could do Seaworld or Universal, which are the big ones. Then there's also the Blue Man group & the pirate restaurant.

By off the property, do you mean non-Disney or just not in a park?

If you are looking for something not in a park, but it can be Disney then the previous poster is correct. Fort Wilderness campground has lots of options. You could do archery, horseback riding, or go to the lodge & rent surrey bikes. The Contemporary also has boat rentals, waterskiing, tubing, parasailing, & other water sports. Downtown Disney is also another option for an afternoon.

If you are looking for something outside of the parks you could do Seaworld or Universal, which are the big ones. Then there's also the Blue Man group & the pirate restaurant.

all great suggestions too BUT OP stated in the last line " not much money"

Orlando science center (reciprocity membership admission from other science centers listed on website)
Gator land is not too pricey, iirc.
Outlets for browsing and cheap(er) Disney souvenirs
I drive adventure land mini golf...also feed hotdogs to alligators
Ron jon sport shop and bass pro shop at Festival Bay
Sonic drive in (unique, depending on whether you are from someplace that has one!)
Florida Mall had some unique shopping (m&m store and play mobile store when we were there. Not sure what is there now)

what about downtown disney? or the boardwalk? i believe one of the resorts has a beach; what about a sandcastle building contest?

Just a few things off the top of my head!

all great suggestions too BUT OP stated in the last line " not much money"

The OP didn't provide a definition for a range of spending, so without that I made a variety of suggestions. The suggestions I made for Fort Wilderness & the lodge aren't expensive, especially the surrey bikes. Horseback riding or a wagon ride costs about $45. Archery costs $25-39. Surrey bike rentals cost $25.

Honestly, arriving that late in the day we'd use the time to shop at DTD & eat off site (one last cheap happy meal dinner, lol) or do some pool time so that we could start the next day as relaxed as possible after a good night's sleep. (Especially if you're a RD family)

We always have fun walking around Old Town as well, but it always feels like we spend just as much as we do at Disney... just more nickle-and-dime type of spending. :confused3 It IS cool to watch all the crazies that are willing to ride that slingshot ride or whatever it is.... my heart races just watching! :crazy2:

The problem with places like the Orlando Science Ctr. is that arriving at 3pm (I take it you mean at MCO?) will put you there too late for most of them; most places like that close at 5 that time of year.

Your kids are quite young; perhaps you might want to just take them to a playground and let them run off the fidgets of being cooped up for the trip? There are some nice ones in Orlando, and some have ducks to feed. http://www.orlandosentinel.com/feat...ando-best-parks-playgrounds,0,2231964.gallery

Sometimes we go to Celebration to take advantage of the big splash fountain. Market Street Café nearby is a large diner-type place, and it has very kid-friendly food.

Orlando science center (reciprocity membership admission from other science centers listed on website)
Gator land is not too pricey, iirc.
Outlets for browsing and cheap(er) Disney souvenirs
I drive adventure land mini golf...also feed hotdogs to alligators
Ron jon sport shop and bass pro shop at Festival Bay
Sonic drive in (unique, depending on whether you are from someplace that has one!)
Florida Mall had some unique shopping (m&m store and play mobile store when we were there. Not sure what is there now)

I was going to suggest Gatorland as well, but OP said she would be there at 3Pm and wasn't sure how late they were open.

We usually spend time in DTD, Splittsville would be fun to spend some time.

Since your info says that you are coming from Alabama, can I assume that you are driving?

We have gone to Blue Springs state park before to see their manatees up close that hang out in and near the natural spring there and then take an amazing nature boat tour that leaves from the park. It's a great snapshot of the real Florida and can be done in 4 hours. There is a dock on the river where manatees swim under your feet without humans disturbing them.

I don't know if the manatees will be back before you go on your trip, but they are definitely something to see at least once.

You could also go over to the AoA to eat and look at the themed areas (Cars, LM, Nemo, LK). There are a lot of great photo spots and it really does feel like you are immersed in the movie.

Thanks for all the replies! I love the link to the area parks, we are driving so that would be easy to do. Old Town looks interesting also. Now to do more research.

The problem with places like the Orlando Science Ctr. is that arriving at 3pm (I take it you mean at MCO?) will put you there too late for most of them; most places like that close at 5 that time of year.

Your kids are quite young; perhaps you might want to just take them to a playground and let them run off the fidgets of being cooped up for the trip? There are some nice ones in Orlando, and some have ducks to feed. http://www.orlandosentinel.com/feat...ando-best-parks-playgrounds,0,2231964.gallery

Sometimes we go to Celebration to take advantage of the big splash fountain. Market Street Café nearby is a large diner-type place, and it has very kid-friendly food.

Thanks for the link! We love to find area parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter